Two Hearts

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Re: Two Hearts

Unread post by Gazirra »

The possibility of their chest exploding once they realize the true meaning of Christmas?
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Not really bonuses or penalties, as much as can take a direct hit to the heart and not be dead, cause they have a back up generator keepin the power on.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

►Flesh Sculpting magic (See Nightspawn/bane Through the Glass Darkly)
►Super science (genetically altered & grown in the patent, surgical implantation, or Nanotech biological [internal] redesign).
►Mutation (super powers)
►Psychic surgery
►The super power "Flesh Works" (Powers Unlimited 3) + the Super Power "Permanence"-(Palladiums BlackVault)

Bonuses would vary but, improved ability to hold your breath may be One. Reduced fatiuge another. More likely you'd Suffer from the exact opposet as your body is now needing to feed Two hearts instead of just the one. You heart is one of the Biggest consumers of O2 you have. If it is sharring that need with a second heart, oyu're likely to become tired and short of breath. If your heart doesn't get enough O2, it's individual heart cells will begin to Over work in seconds and Burst in a minute or so... Heart failure happens soon afterwards.
Your brain (also a big consumer of air) would see a Dramatic loss in needed air as welland you'd loose conscienceness in time.
Last edited by Steeler49er on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Steeler49er
Hero

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

If it is a "super power" then likely the Super wouldn't suffer at all from any of the above. They'd Likely have nothing but the bonuses of Heightened stamina (PE), the ability to hold their breath for 5 times longer, and would generally see a mild increase in strength.

It it were a Mutant characteristic, you'd be somewhere in between. You'd Need to be Very active and require much more food to maintain those two hearts (get Plenty of fresh air). The benifits would be half and the negatives would Only take place if you failed to get enough air to breath (a sedintary life is a Bad thing).

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Scorpion_Freeman wrote:How would I give a human character two hearts? What would be the bonuses and penalties for having two hearts?

I know in the real world you'd be twice as likely to have a heart attack...
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

IIRC, in the Eugenics section of PU2 there is an option that allows you to gain a second heart. I think it gives some bonus Hit Points and S.D.C., as well as a bonus to save vs. Heart Disease.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

Alien characters can buy one (see AUGG - genetic modifications section). Bionic characters can buy a redundant heart, too, I believe.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

There are aliens (can't remember what they're called off hand here at work) from the Scraypers book that receive bonuses for having 2 hearts- if I remember right.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Scorpion_Freeman wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:There are aliens (can't remember what they're called off hand here at work) from the Scraypers book that receive bonuses for having 2 hearts- if I remember right.

That alien race you are trying to think of is the Tarlok. All it said in Scrayper about the Tarlok's two hearts was that extreme stress and exertion of combat is divided between the two hearts. It does list the penalties for them losing one heart though. Should I use those penalties as penalties for losing one of the character's two hearts?

yes.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

first thoughts when reading the two hearts phrase
cough *time lord* cough

Otherwise the Tarlock example would be a good guideline.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

I can see benefits to endurance, holding one's breath for longer periods, resistances to fatigue or disease, added boneses to HP or SDC and possibly even a slightly extended lifespan all coming from having an extra heart.
I can also see an added vulnerability in having them as being more suseptible to critical strikes. Despite having "redundant systems", the heart is still a vital organ. Damaging or losing one could have debilitating, if not lethal, consequences. And if you've got an extra one to hit, it just makes them both that much easier to hit.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Scorpion_Freeman wrote: What would be the bonuses and penalties for having two hearts?

You would have cudos in the Phil Collins fan club for him writing a song about you.

You would have the crappiest hand at poker.

Oh and on Valentines day you'd be an emotional wreck.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

In the good ol' days of Cyberpunk 2020, I remember an implant in one of the books, that actually took the heart out of the equation completely, a "decentralized heart". It was a set of vascular implants in the major arteries controlled by a pacemaker-style apparatus, that actually did away with having an actual heart, while still providing the same function as a heart.

That aside, having two hearts would be only practical if those hearts would take only a part of the full heart's duty(two smaller hearts, ike having two smaller pumps to do the workload of one), since having two normal-sized hearts would actually mean that the vascular system would need to be stronger too (pressure would be high due to having two large pumps instead of one). Another option would be a staggered heart action(the hearts would beat one after the other, instead of simultaneously) this would limit the blood pressure but ot would also mean that the hearts would need to be synched somehow so they wouldn't beat out of synch.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
Steeler49er
Hero

The Tarlok have through millions of years of selective breeding to deal with two hearts so, they may Not be the best example. Then again there is little else to work with so you may as well use them.

BTW-20 points to Snowtiger for finding a way to mention CP 2020!
And 50 pints for The Dark Elf for findinga way to plug Phill C.

BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

Kovoston wrote:I know in the real world you'd be twice as likely to have a heart attack...

Yeah, but you'd have a backup to carry the load if it happened.

Seriously, I think saying "I have two hearts" is more like flavor text than anything else. You can take something like Extraordinary Physical Endurance and say "I have extra organs for redundancy, giving me the ability to take more punishment." I don't see an extra heart as a power in and of itself.
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”