Northern Hinterlands Barbarin ?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DiceCollector
Wanderer

Northern Hinterlands Barbarin ?

Unread post by DiceCollector »

Hey all, I was just looking at the Barbarins Warrior and they do not have secondary skills listed. Do they gain more as they level or not??? Most others get skills at 3,6,9 ect, but the barbs do not have any listed. Any help???? Thanks.... Just for kicks I made a Gnome Barbarian....Extra PS-Toughness-Master Paired Weapons.... Started with 108 SDC....Tough Booger!! Any way thanks I cant wait to hear from you.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was NO match fo me at kick boxing" -Emo Philips
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Northern Hinterlands Barbarin ?

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I guess they dont get any more.

IIRC they only get another OCC related at 4, 8, 12 which is light to.

P.S. gnome barbarian sounds fun! :bandit:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

I've done that one It is fun. He could only communicate with the rest of the party through sign language. The only word he knew in eastern was "What!" which at times meant more things than 'what' actually does. I had him wielding a ogre sized axe do to his ridicules strength. (the character was made for a short term campaign as a joke. a frighteningly useful ball of death kind of joke. The last thing that happened with him was being launched out of a catapult (willingly) at another ship.
If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

DiceCollector wrote:Hey all, I was just looking at the Barbarins Warrior and they do not have secondary skills listed. Do they gain more as they level or not??? Most others get skills at 3,6,9 ect, but the barbs do not have any listed. Any help???? Thanks.... Just for kicks I made a Gnome Barbarian....Extra PS-Toughness-Master Paired Weapons.... Started with 108 SDC....Tough Booger!! Any way thanks I cant wait to hear from you.

Greetings and Salutations. There was a thread a little over 2 years ago that discussed this topic as well. If you'd like to view all the comments and thoughts discussed within it can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80974

About half way down the page I gave my personal reason/belief that they don't get new secondary skills and why. I'll include a copy of that explanation as well. Hopefully some of that will help. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Prysus wrote:Greetings and Salutations. I've had a thought for a while now, but have been too lazy to pull out the book and look to confirm. I stopped reading it after before I got to the "Barbarian Stigmas" section so if something contradicts this point after, then my apologies (stopped reading because I was being lazy and as I've yet I've never had to use one in one of my games nor do I have intention to anytime soon). Okay, with that out of the way, I'd have to say it was intentional. Mind you, there is no official answer to the best of my knowledge that says "We left out new secondary skills on purpose," but I'll support why I say they did it on purpose.

Okay, there is of course the fact they didn't forget secondary advancement for any of the other O.C.C., so it makes it a little less likely they forgot it for BOTH of the Barbarian O.C.C. Granted, that's not much for proof. So now I'll support it from the Barbarian write up itself. There are the quotes such as "True Barbarians possess little formal training", "These people are usually not interested in widening their scope of knowledge", "develop just the skills they need to survive there." Those are just the lines I decided to point out. Actually, I'd suggest just reading the entire paragraph that starts with "True Barbarians" in bold. Reading it, I honestly get the impression they're not supposed to advance much. They learn what they need, and that's about it.

Also, they are referred to as a "primitive" people, not just uncivilized. While not quite so exaggerated (example being given for visualizations) but, do you think a caveman (I apologize to any cavemen who may take offense if I used a term which wasn't politically correct since I think it would be "primitive man", but caveman is more recognized) would learn as fast as someone from today? They have their strengths, but they're just not going to learn things as quickly. Now, again, I'm not saying a Barbarian is the same as a Caveman. However, it's a comparison as the Barbarian is meant to be more primitive.

Okay, final point, Rifter #40 Barbarians having secondary skill advancements. Well, to that I'll just say ... ... ... Rifter material isn't official. This is a fan creation. It even says it in each Rifter (with few exceptions which are noted in the article). Now some of it is good, some of it is interesting, thought provoking, right down good! However, not all fans will adhere to the original write-ups. The writer may have very felt the same as the original poster and decided to give them the secondaries regardless of the book material. I can't state why it was done, though I can state it's not official material so it isn't fair to compare. While I'm not saying it may not be good (have not read it myself), I'm just saying it's not official. It's like saying a popular TV series character or movie character would do something because he/she did it in your friend's fan fiction. Again, I'm not commenting pro or con against the article itself, merely that it shouldn't be used as a basis to make a point.

All right, I think that addresses the main topics. One may not agree, but I would say it's intentional, and stated why as much with references from the book for support. Again, there is no official answer (to the best of my knowledge) saying it was intentional or errata, so this is naturally only my opinion on the matter. Thank you and have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
DiceCollector
Wanderer

Unread post by DiceCollector »

Thanks ALL!! I talked it over with my GM, we will house rule to use the secondary skills of a vegabond. I hope the editing gets better in time, but why start NOW????
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was NO match fo me at kick boxing" -Emo Philips

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”