Group Names? Important or not?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Group Names? Important or not?

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Are "group names" important in HU? In my group we have a feline dragon (mod from RIFTS RUE), an Elven Druid, a Brick cop and a mutant superspy...

I think they need a name, but they either refuse ("it's dumb...") or they think it will negatively affect their secret identities (except the druid and dragon haven't really bothered with that aspect of their characters...they both just live in National Parks and Wildlife Reserves...)

Any ideas? Is it important for the genre, or does it really not matter?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Group Names? Important or not?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

"Mystery Men"
:D
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Having a cool group name can persuade characters to join, especially if they are seeking recognition. I just like playing with names in general, so my campaigns always have groups with catchy names. My players have tended to not want to join groups, though, and I don't force them to play as a group under one leader right off the bat. I think it really depends on the type of game you are trying to run.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

It seems to me that they aren't really into the superhero genre, if they think superteams with names are dumb.

Maybe there is a disconnect as to the style of game you want to run, and the type they actually want to play.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

BillionSix wrote:It seems to me that they aren't really into the superhero genre, if they think superteams with names are dumb.

Maybe there is a disconnect as to the style of game you want to run, and the type they actually want to play.

Brian

I had a player for a while who wanted to play but did not really like HU2, so I know that to be true. If the game styles don't mesh, the player and GM will have a hard time enjoying a game together in general.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
slade the sniper
Hero

OK, well it is to be a "media granted name" after all...

Backstory...Think BPRD meets Call of Cthulhu...

The brick cop is a female investigator whose partner was killed and she unlocked her powers...she is basically impervious to energy and human lie detector.
The mutant is a former Mossad intel officer with invisibility and has been sent to the US to see how they run their anti-supernatural squad with the intent that he go back to Israel to set up their anti-supernatural squad in a few years, after the ruckus dies down about a few "extra-judicial killings" he may or may not have been involved in...
The elven druid is just that...ended up stuck on Earth after a rift opened on Arcadia, the extra-dimensional home of the fey.
The feline dragon is was a scout for the Noktrakon empire, that after some very, very, very poor rolls, crashed his ship (instead of doing the covert landing thing) in a National Park...and after a few years of living in the wilderness and scaring hikers and campers away got captured.

The elf and dragon are played by a 10 year old and a 12 year old respectively, so all apologies for the silliness of their origins...

Basically, the game started as a noir game in the Hellboy/Delta Green vein and has since devolved into...well, think world spanning Paranoia level silliness (but it is quite fun)...with 'thulies

So, any ideas on a "media name" for them?

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Olaris wrote:just have the local press give them names/a name and go from there, the characters will change it if they dont like it, let em find a way - story style so they have to work for it, then it will be there idea and they will love it! :lol: you can tell i sell stuff for a living eh :twisted:

Just like that.

Either they name themselves or the Press names them...

Make it hurt. :demon:
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

The Artist Formerly wrote:
Olaris wrote:just have the local press give them names/a name and go from there, the characters will change it if they dont like it, let em find a way - story style so they have to work for it, then it will be there idea and they will love it! :lol: you can tell i sell stuff for a living eh :twisted:

Just like that.

And don't jokingly suggest a name unless you're prepared for your players to embrace it.
That's how my old HU PC group got named the "Superhero International Taskforce"
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

Olaris wrote:
Overlord Rikonius wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:

Just like that.

And don't jokingly suggest a name unless you're prepared for your players to embrace it.
That's how my old HU PC group got named the "Superhero International Taskforce"

:lol: SIT ...on it :lol:

Nah, man. Try it like this: Super Hero International Taskforce.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Coalition for the Realization of Allied Peace
Team United to Reclaim Destiny
We Heroes Allied in a Common Kinship
Daring Union of Majestic Beings
slade the sniper
Hero

Super Hero International Taskforce.

Yes, that is perfect (said in mock Jim Jong Il voice from Team America)....

-STS
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:i don't get that last one...

D.U.M.B.? It is the counterpart of the Department of Espionage for America's Freedom (D.E.A.F.). :-P
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:i don't get that last one...

D.U.M.B.? It is the counterpart of the Department of Espionage for America's Freedom (D.E.A.F.). :-P

A meteor is heading toward the Earth, and only one teen genius can deflect it. He happens to be in those groups and also secretly in the Bureaucratic Legion of Independant Ne'er Do-wells.
Because that D.E.A.F., D.U.M.B. and B.L.I.N.D. kid sure plays a mean pinball.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

Names should reflect the actions of the group. If a group of heroes are killing badguys, maybe "The vigiante squad strikes again!" should be the headline of the paper.

I'm not saying use that as a name, but its cool to allow the media to name them no matter what they name themselves.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”