Newbie has a few questions...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Samromancer
D-Bee

Newbie has a few questions...

Unread post by Samromancer »

Hey guys. Just a few quick ones:

Does a failed parry attempt result in the damage going to the object that was used to parry? ie; sword, vambrace, shield, etc.

Are Naruni force fields clear?

Is the Armor of Ithan and Carpet of Adhesion (and most magics) blue like a ley line?

Would the implant Amplified Hearing work in Environmental MDC armor? Powered armor?

Is a Neural Mace effective against MDC beings (Minor or Major), or Supernatural beings?

Entanglement: High roll wins with P.P. bonuses applied. Does P.S. come into play? SN P.S.?

Do flying attackers (winged, jet pack, magic, etc.) suffer penalties to hit? I know there are speed penalties when trying TO HIT fast moving objetcs (20mph+ etc.) but what about when the ATTACKER is moving?

Thanks guys!
Cybermancer
Hero

Re: Newbie has a few questions...

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Samromancer wrote:Hey guys. Just a few quick ones:

Does a failed parry attempt result in the damage going to the object that was used to parry? ie; sword, vambrace, shield, etc.

No. On a failed parry, the damage is applied directly to the main body of the defender (or elsewhere if a called shot is being made). Sheilds take damage on a successful parry. Other items such as swords only take damage if the attacker is attempting to damage them.

Samromancer wrote:Are Naruni force fields clear?

Apparently.

Samromancer wrote:Is the Armor of Ithan and Carpet of Adhesion (and most magics) blue like a ley line?

The last time that I checked, Armor of Ithan was invisible. The color of Carpet of Adhesion is up to the GM but making it blue does make a certain sense. In the end however, it is simply a special effect.

Samromancer wrote:Would the implant Amplified Hearing work in Environmental MDC armor? Powered armor?

Most suits of armor and power armor have external audio pick ups, so yes.

Samromancer wrote:Is a Neural Mace effective against MDC beings (Minor or Major), or Supernatural beings?

No.

Samromancer wrote:Entanglement: High roll wins with P.P. bonuses applied. Does P.S. come into play? SN P.S.?

Not that I've seen. Entanglement is not a pin or restraining action. It is simply an attempt to entangle an attackers weapon. Trying to pull that weapon away once entangled would be a strength contest.

Samromancer wrote:Do flying attackers (winged, jet pack, magic, etc.) suffer penalties to hit? I know there are speed penalties when trying TO HIT fast moving objetcs (20mph+ etc.) but what about when the ATTACKER is moving?

There are penalties for firing from a fast moving vehicle (considered firing wild). These penalties do not apply to mounted weapons. This applies equally to ground based and flying vehicles. I believe there are also penalties for natural fast movement (i.e. while running).

Samromancer wrote:Thanks guys!

Your welcome.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

No, the damage goes to You, or the enemy who failed to parry. Sheilds take damage on successful parries, other items do not.

Yes, they are.

Is the Armor of Ithan and Carpet of Adhesion (and most magics) blue like a ley line?

No. Armor of Ithan is invisible. Actually most magic that dosn't have a particular visible effect are invisible.

Would the implant Amplified Hearing work in Environmental MDC armor? Powered armor?

Yes

Is a Neural Mace effective against MDC beings (Minor or Major), or Supernatural beings?

Yes. That's why it's so effective for dog boys to use.

Entanglement: High roll wins with P.P. bonuses applied. Does P.S. come into play? SN P.S.?

No. Your not pinning their arms, only keeping them from pointing their weapon.

Do flying attackers (winged, jet pack, magic, etc.) suffer penalties to hit? I know there are speed penalties when trying TO HIT fast moving objetcs (20mph+ etc.) but what about when the ATTACKER is moving?

Nope. No penalties for them
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1) Does a failed parry attempt result in the damage going to the object that was used to parry? ie; sword, vambrace, shield, etc.

2) Are Naruni force fields clear?

3) Is the Armor of Ithan and Carpet of Adhesion (and most magic) blue like a ley line?

4) Would the implant Amplified Hearing work in Environmental MDC armor? Powered armor?

5) Is a Neural Mace effective against MDC beings (Minor or Major), or Supernatural beings?

6) Entanglement: High roll wins with P.P. bonuses applied. Does P.S. come into play? SN P.S.?

7) Do flying attackers (winged, jet pack, magic, etc.) suffer penalties to hit? I know there are speed penalties when trying TO HIT fast moving objects (20 mph+ etc.) but what about when the ATTACKER is moving?

Thanks guys!

1) In SDC base combat, loosing a parry roll means the attack is not parried. Shields and weapons only take damage if they are the target of the attack.
In MDC base combat, when melee weapons parry melee weapons nether take damage unless directly targeted. If Parrying a shield of any sort the shield takes the rolled damage.

2) Unless otherwise stated in the text (or by your GM), Force Fields are invisible to the naked human eye.

3) All magic that does not say they produce a visible effect is invisible to the naked human eye.

4) Yes, but it would only be hearing what is inside the armor/PA very well.

5) The RMB & RGMG both only limit it's ineffectuality against fully environmental armors and PAs. (Does RUE say otherwise?)

6) [pass]

7) They are moving so they would suffer the attacking while moving penalties. (thou, I've do not ever remember having the GM attach such to any rolls I've done.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

No.

Yes.

It's never specified. Your GM could choose to have it that way, though.

It would probably work in body armor, but perhaps not in power armor.
The books never say either way.

RUE lists it as being ineffective against Supernatural Creatures and Creatures of Magic.
Other MDC beings appear to be fair game.

Ya got me there.

Not in melee combat certainly, so I assume you're asking about ranged.

Shooting from a vehicle or horseback (etc.), or while running, requires the shots to be fired Wild as a rule.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

thurak wrote:When will these boards get a spot so that people can ask questions and receive official answers?

The FAQ section is as official as it gets.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:
thurak wrote:When will these boards get a spot so that people can ask questions and receive official answers?

Till things get published in a book.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

thurak wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Till things get published in a book.

That is rather sad.

You ain't seen nothin yet :lol:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Rifts, where your house rule folder usually becomes bigger than any other book.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

thurak wrote: I think I will just stick with Savage Worlds, at least there you get official answers.

If you think that's easier than posting your questions in the FAQ section here, have fun...

Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Little tweaks is how it starts, then you find you have to write them down, then you have to organise them so you can find them, its a vicious circle that you cannot escape............. :frust:
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

Killer Cyborg
Priest

thurak wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
thurak wrote: I think I will just stick with Savage Worlds, at least there you get official answers.

If you think that's easier than posting your questions in the FAQ section here, have fun...

Hmm... At PEG's forums I type in my question on their forum, same as you say i should do here. There I get only official answers, here I get no official answers. Do I really need to say why I think it's easier there than here to get official answers. Oh, and I get an official answer within 24 hours at PEG. Seems to me that it took over 2 years to get official answers from Palladium in regards to RUE errata.

As I said, have fun.

Since the bulk of your posts have either been bashing Palladium or heinie-smooching Savage Worlds, I'm not really sure why you're here anyway.

(Unless, of course, that IS your primary purpose)

Palladium isn't perfect, and if you've found a perfect company out there that you prefer, I hope the two of you are very happy together. :)

Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
thurak wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Hmm... At PEG's forums I type in my question on their forum, same as you say i should do here. There I get only official answers, here I get no official answers. Do I really need to say why I think it's easier there than here to get official answers. Oh, and I get an official answer within 24 hours at PEG. Seems to me that it took over 2 years to get official answers from Palladium in regards to RUE errata.

As I said, have fun.

Since the bulk of your posts have either been bashing Palladium or heinie-smooching Savage Worlds, I'm not really sure why you're here anyway.

OK. going to assume that KC is simply having a bad day, as he is very rarely this rude to anyone.

Palladium isn't perfect, and if you've found a perfect company out there that you prefer, I hope the two of you are very happy together. :)

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
thurak wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

As I said, have fun.

lol
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

thurak wrote:Interesting that with 3 people answering, got 3 different answers.

When will these boards get a spot so that people can ask questions and receive official answers?

The fist four of the responses you got the the same answers, or complementary information to the short answer. Two of the answers were from old-timers that are at times at odds over things, but agree in this case, one from the resident "answer man", and another that agrees with the other three.
What's the problem?

I personally would rather leave the PB staff to be writing new books then answering questions, that I can get from the rules lawyers, who can give out the same answer in 1/100th the time.

And if you are the GM, it is your job to make rulings about stuff that isn't covered in the rules or unclear or is down right confusing or reconcile contradictory rules.
Rule #1 of gaming: The GM is Always Right.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

thurak wrote:Different answers on the Neural Mace question, got a Yes, No, and a Pass.

What, exactly, was the last book a Palladium Staffer wrote? I was under the impression that Freelancers do the writing, Kevin edits and adds some stuff.

The 1st three the neural mace answers were 'no', 'yes', 'yes, if not in environmental armor'. one 'no', two 'yes's with the 2nd yes included an exception.

The entanglement issue does not come up very often, so I'm not readily aquatinted with the rules on it. Therefore, I passed on the entanglement question

My point was I'd rather get new books, then to have them (Whoever the "them" is) spend there time on answers that the players could answer, and do so for the love of the game.
Even when Kevin does get a completed manuscript he rewrites significant portions of it.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Good then this thread should be dead.

:lol:
Killer Cyborg
Priest

thurak wrote:i was just wondering why you thought it would be easier to ask questions on the FAQ here than get official answers someplace else.

You can get official answers on the FAQ here.
Most of the answers there, in fact, are straight out of the books.
Usually it will be something that's in the rules somewhere that you've overlooked.
So I don't see it as an either/or situation.

And you haven't answered that, you just gave me a pithy comeback.

You didn't really ask that.
You asked where you could go to get official answers.
I told you.
You then went on a "this place sucks, Savage Worlds is SO cool!" kick.

Maybe you need to take off your blinders every now and then to see what else is out there.

I have a pretty good grasp on what's out there, actually.

Or maybe you just prefer ineptitude.

I do seem to be responding to a lot of your posts... ;)

Killer Cyborg
Priest

thurak wrote:Different answers on the Neural Mace question, got a Yes, No, and a Pass.

ONE of the answers cited a specific book; I suggest you go with that one.
Maybe look up what they're talking about, or ask for more specific details if you need them.

If you're not willing to grab RUE and read the entry on Neural Maces, you probably won't be happy with anything you read on the forums either.

But I'll do my best to relieve your confusion anyway, more specifically this time:

Rifts Ultimate Edition, p. 259 states:
The mace is ineffective against environmental, MDC body and power armor, but is effective against Dog Pack armor and half suits, or body armor without a helmet (not fully environmental without the helmet attached). Also ineffective against supernatural opponents and creatures of magic.

I underlined the important part, the part that I referred to in my previous answer.
If this is somehow still too confusing, or not official enough, feel free to ask for more information.

(Unless, of course, you have already moved on.)

What, exactly, was the last book a Palladium Staffer wrote? I was under the impression that Freelancers do the writing, Kevin edits and adds some stuff.

My impression is that Kev's editing is often a pretty hefty rewrite.
I'm not sure what the last book that he wrote completely by himself was, though.
Probably RUE.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Don't be mad, just sharpen your communication skills.
Full sentences, expressing full thoughts, as if the other people here as not psychics, is the best way to formulate what you post. (using good grammar is always a plus too)

Sometimes I reread what I posted and go back and edit my own post 4-7 times before I satisfied with a post.

Return to “Rifts®”