Tirolian & Zentreadi Languages

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wildhood
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Pickup my 1st Palladium RPG Book back in 1990.

Tirolian & Zentreadi Languages

Unread post by wildhood »

You think the Tirolian (aka Robotech Masters) who created the Zentreadi they should speak the same Language. Any one think about this?
I don t beleive I m using my XBOX One to post on here.
Undisiplined Veritech Pilots don t pilot Veritechs they pilot Verideck.
Chris0013
Hero

Re: Tirolian & Zentreadi Languages

Unread post by Chris0013 »

wildhood wrote:You think the Tirolian (aka Robotech Masters) who created the Zentreadi they should speak the same Language. Any one think about this?

I think for the most part they do...but they may have different speech patterns and dialects....Masters and Tirolians my have a more formal way of speaking and the Zentraedi may have a less developed vocabulary....someone with a doctorate in english will have a vocabulary that would possibly confuse the hell out of the average teenager.

Possibly the Zentraedi High Command would have the more formal speech as well...

If I remember correctly, in the novels, Jack Baker was mentioned as having to learn alien languages as part of the training for the Expeditionary Mission.
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes, but the zentradie don't have the words involving culture, like Love, painting, sculpture, sex, to reinforce the warrior mindset.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

Actually I could see the Zenraedi not knowing the Torilian langauge at all or vise versa, the Zentraedi are not allowed to communicate with the general populations so they can not be contaminated. So with the exception of a handful of fleet commanders and certain ranking torilians they would not speack at all.

However in the older comics you see Zor and the Torilians speaking with the Zentraedi on the bridge of the SDF-1. So I believe that the two languages are derived from the Torilian language with the Zenntraedi being more based on military and aspects.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

Well I imagine the Zentraedi to be use a form of Tirolian dialect as they are cloned from them directly. (now that i have read that section of the macross book) And with what we see in the cartoons with Breeti and Exadore, they seem to have some comprehension of the words that should have little meaning to thier shoulders. so perhaps the higher the rank/cast the more they know.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

Personally I think Zentraedi is a created language with new words and meanings taken from Tirolan Military Slang, much like the language of the net today is not standard english, and certain things have no basis of commonality to the larger population. This is beginning to be mitigated some, but for a few years there it really was its own language - the basis for Technocan, if you will.

And I also believe that the Robotech Masters had their own dialect of Tirolan, equally removed from Tirolan as Zentraedi is from Tirolan. And for a people as paranoid as the Robotech Masters, learning a new alphabet would be among the simplest, and yet most profound differences they could make. Eventually someone would figure it out, but by the time they watse their time doing that, you can change your own codes, and so you are ahead of the game. And you can program it into your new batch of clones, so if you need to change alphabets every six or seven generations, so be it. Just make them know the old ones too, and so you keep information from older sources current, while keeping new information encrypted from any source. You might say that is too paranoid, but then I remind you who we're talking about. Of course there is no proof of this, nor would I try and make such a claim, but it's reasonable, given our knowledge of their need for control.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

wildhood wrote:You think the Tirolian (aka Robotech Masters) who created the Zentreadi they should speak the same Language. Any one think about this?

Two different languages, but Tirolian would be akin to Latin, where as Zentraedi would be akin to Spanish, French or Italian (all languages derived from Latin).
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”