My Suggestions for Next Year

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

My Suggestions for Next Year

Unread post by Library Ogre »

1) If you're going to have that many Texans, stock more Dr. Pepper. That stuff is like mother's milk in this state.
2) Stock dice, paper, and pencils. Someone will always forget some, and being able to buy them there is a great thing.
3) Table organization. While I realize space is limited, some more space between tables would be nice; I'd probably have put the "amphitheater" near where the main entrance was, and the merchandise and food near there. That frees up a lot of space for tables on the other side of the island.
4) Database of nearby restaurants. While the food was good at Open House, sometimes you want to get out and a) eat something else and b) talk to people without screaming.
5) Buy Amy some mace, to discourage the really creepy folks (like Bradshaw). ;-)

I had something else, but I cannot recall what it was.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: My Suggestions for Next Year

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Mark Hall wrote:1) If you're going to have that many Texans, stock more Dr. Pepper. That stuff is like mother's milk in this state.
2) Stock dice, paper, and pencils. Someone will always forget some, and being able to buy them there is a great thing.
3) Table organization. While I realize space is limited, some more space between tables would be nice; I'd probably have put the "amphitheater" near where the main entrance was, and the merchandise and food near there. That frees up a lot of space for tables on the other side of the island.
4) Database of nearby restaurants. While the food was good at Open House, sometimes you want to get out and a) eat something else and b) talk to people without screaming.
5) Buy Amy some mace, to discourage the really creepy folks (like Bradshaw). ;-)

I had something else, but I cannot recall what it was.

Sound reduction through dividers or hanging blankets?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, my suggestions are with the schedule. I recommend not staggering the games as they were this time. Make 3 blocks for games and place all the games in them. For example 9:30-13:30, 14:30-18:30, 19:30-21:30. That would make it so that everyone could, if they wanted, play in 3 games a day and it gives an hour for the gam going over time or for having lunch between games. Also, being able to sign up for a game before arriving in Detroit would be great.

-Vek
"Maybe sign up here on the forums."
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Veknironth wrote:Well, my suggestions are with the schedule. I recommend not staggering the games as they were this time. Make 3 blocks for games and place all the games in them. For example 9:30-13:30, 14:30-18:30, 19:30-21:30. That would make it so that everyone could, if they wanted, play in 3 games a day and it gives an hour for the gam going over time or for having lunch between games. Also, being able to sign up for a game before arriving in Detroit would be great.

-Vek

I'm for that one; I was wanting to play in Julius's game on Saturday because I missed his Friday game, and then saw it was scheduled to start an hour before my slot was over; I tried to run it fast but it ended up taking the whole time, so I was without a game afterwards.

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Mark Hall wrote:1) If you're going to have that many Texans, stock more Dr. Pepper. That stuff is like mother's milk in this state.
Actually, could ya'll bring some real Dr. Pepper up with you? Out this way it's the corn syrup stuff.
I miss the good stuff back in Texas. :(
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Elly_G
D-Bee
Comment: "I hold with those who favor fire."

Unread post by Elly_G »

Some ideas...

1. Do part of the auction as a silent auction (post what the reserve is) to save time.
2. Have other games like Jeopardy and Quiz-o running (with dice prizes)
(who's idea was that at the con? Great one!)
3. Sell dice, pads of paper and palladium pens.
4. Do sign ups on an easy access front board
5. Post a board for pick up games.
6. Provide a tri-fold handout with admission with the game charts printed in it.
7. Advertise who the go-to person is for any problems
8. Spread tables out just a little bit more
9. Add more hours to my day for more games :)
"Poetry is not truth, It's just deception with a little class."
Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Veknironth wrote:Well, my suggestions are with the schedule. I recommend not staggering the games as they were this time. Make 3 blocks for games and place all the games in them. For example 9:30-13:30, 14:30-18:30, 19:30-21:30. That would make it so that everyone could, if they wanted, play in 3 games a day and it gives an hour for the gam going over time or for having lunch between games. Also, being able to sign up for a game before arriving in Detroit would be great.

-Vek

I was thinking the same thing.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Elly_G
D-Bee
Comment: "I hold with those who favor fire."

Unread post by Elly_G »

Phalanx wrote:
Elly_G wrote:Some ideas...

1. Do part of the auction as a silent auction (post what the reserve is) to save time.

They did actually do that with the "Buy It Now" prices. It just looks like most people held out for the live auction.

I have always liked the paper bidding way, better then just plain "buy it now". Just like bidding out loud, you still get the competition to drive up the price. But you are right- I'll have to scan that better next year.
"Poetry is not truth, It's just deception with a little class."
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

There was a silent auction in '07.

Maybe they will do both next year?

~ Josh
Mierin
D-Bee

Unread post by Mierin »

Armorlord wrote:
Actually, could ya'll bring some real Dr. Pepper up with you? Out this way it's the corn syrup stuff.

If suggestions about beverages are all right, might I suggest a box of tea bags and a kettle? Not everyone likes coffee, and it would have been nice to have had something else to drink with caffeine in it besides soda.
"They say that all the world is a stage. But obviously the play is unrehearsed and everyone is adlibbing their lines! Maybe that's why it's so hard to figure out if we're in a tragedy or a farce. We need more special effects and dance numbers." -- Calvin & Hobbes
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Mierin wrote:
Armorlord wrote:

If suggestions about beverages are all right, might I suggest a box of tea bags and a kettle? Not everyone likes coffee, and it would have been nice to have had something else to drink with caffeine in it besides soda.

Pfft, Palladium Staff disregard this crazy canuck. She was too busy runnin' her yap--and not about EU!--to even drink anything anyway!

Seriously though, the free and copiously-flowing coffee was an INCREDIBLE BOON, thank you so much.

Ooh, I know she's gonna flame me for this! lol :D
ImageImageImage
Nowhere65
Wanderer

Unread post by Nowhere65 »

-Vek

I agree that the way the games were staggered made it difficult to get to and from some of them.
I too think that a block system would work well. Much like a college course schedule. And if a certain GM wanted to run a double block Wormwood game, that could be fit in as well and still leave one other block available if players wanted another game that day.

As far as the sign up sheets go;
Putting them out daily (ie, put out Friday's on Friday morning, etc.) might be a good idea. Even with the schedule posted the morning games might be a little thin on players, though I think there will still be those that rush to the warehouse in the morning to get signed up.

Someone also suggested having the games be half "first come, first served" and half from whoever shows up at the table.

If I end up GMing, I plan on doing something like this;
Lets say I want 8 players for my game. I'll take the first 4 people signed up. If one of them is missing then names get bumped up the list. For the sake of explanation lets say the first 4 people show up and the sign up sheet has 12 spots on it. The 8 people left on the sign up sheet and whoever shows up at the table and wants to play, well they get to roll for a spot. Highest d20 rolls win the spots. I figure this is in the spirit of the game and will be totally random.

This is assuming that I have more than 8 or 10 people sign up for my games.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, Nowhere, that would work but they'll have to make each sheet have a clear limit. I saw sheets that had 8 spots and 12 or 13 people signed up. There were names in the margins. Of course, as the GM you can always deny people access to the game as you see fit. "Sorry, this game is full." seemed to work everytime. I'm with you, though, on a GM wanting to have a character or a few spots open just in case.

I'd like to see the sign ups be available before you arrive. The schedule is, so people will generally try to plan out their time. However, if it's a free for all the day of then you're going to have people stuck with no games. If I want to play in Gideon's Robotech game but it turns out to be full then I know I need to look for another game. It's best to know that when I am planning my schedule and be able sign up for something else rather than have to scramble and find any random game.

-Vek
"I still promote my own plan. Let's call it the Vek Game Scheduling System or the Vek System."
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Another possibility which would be easy-squeezy-lemon-peezy...

Have the bored-as-heck staffer or volunteer who is "manning the door" have a laptop and be the scheduling GURU.

As you come in--early bird gets the worm!--you register for what game in which you wish to play.

When any one particular game is full, the sheet is printed and that game is closed--GM discretion only after that.

Centralizing an enormous national economy is IDIOCY. Centralizing something as simple as a games schedule should be frakkin' obvious.
ImageImageImage
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:There was a silent auction in '07.

And an even silenter auction in '08.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nowhere65
Wanderer

Unread post by Nowhere65 »

If the extended parking facilities are still available in the adjoining lots, perhaps one of those big pavilion style tents could be set up in the back parking lot and house additional gaming tables.

Obviously this would affect the cost of the OH but I would wager that most would take the increased ticket price in order to have the extra space.

Return to “Palladium Open House”