EssDeeSee?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rubio
D-Bee
Comment: Just some guy

EssDeeSee?

Unread post by Rubio »

I'm one of those who answered "Yeah, kinda" to the question "Hate the Mega-Damage system" in the old Rifts(R) Conversion Book. The MDC to SDC conversions there looked to be mostly-sufficient, but have there been any other, more up-to-date M->SDC-type conversions, and if so, which books are they in? I haven't bought a Rifts(R) book for like... ten or eleven years and am way behind the curve.
"Fungah! Foiled again!"
-Bowser

"This is starting to **** me off!
Does this place have a never-ending supply of weird stuff!?"
-Susano Orbatos, Orion
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: EssDeeSee?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the section from the original conversion book i tihnk is the only real mention of it. and to be honest, it works great as a guideline.

personally i'd suggest multiplying anything with MDC x10 (damage and armor value-wise) when converting, and give formerly MDC armor a high AR. this way that "high powered laser pistol" can actualy inflict more SDC damage than a .22 caliber.

which keeps advanced technology still somewhat better than "old technology" in the new, all SDC setting.

(the only exception i'd make is the CS nuclear weapons. which should be x100, since those are SDC weapons, just really really big ones...)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Rubio
D-Bee
Comment: Just some guy

Unread post by Rubio »

Sounds reasonable, but more for things like explosives and particle beams and rail guns and whatnot.
For things like personal-scale energy weapons, I might limit it to x2 or something.
My notion isn't that an SDC being should be able to survive a railgun burst (they most assuredly shouldn't), but a grazing shot from a wilks laser pistol... well, yeah. I mean, at minimum damage, that's flash-frying a few square centimeters of flesh to unrecognizability. If it happens in the head, it's brain-crisp, but if it happens in the forearm... well, you'd probably lose the use of the forearm, but your entire upper body wouldn't be vaporized the way it would on a 2 MDC hit.
As always, your mileage may vary, but that was something that always stuck in my craw.
"Fungah! Foiled again!"
-Bowser

"This is starting to **** me off!
Does this place have a never-ending supply of weird stuff!?"
-Susano Orbatos, Orion
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

In my games I tend to rule that M.D.C. weaponry completely ignores S.D.C. and does damage directly to Hit Points.
Should the target creature or player have in excess of 100 S.D.C., or is wearing armor that has over 100 S.D.C., then I subtract one point of M.D.C. from the damage roll per 100 S.D.C..

S.D.C. weapons vs. M.D.C. armor is basically unchanged, as the S.D.C. weapons lack the power to affect M.D.C. material. Although, I do rule that any time that a critical strike is rolled it reflects hitting some tiny flaw or chink in the armor and inflicts normal damage to the armor (or to the person in the armor if the M.D.C. is nearly depleted).
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

In one campaign years ago, we converted the mdc system to the sdc system, and included a scaling system into to.

From memory, we used a 10:1 ratio. So instead of 100 SDC being 1 MDC, it was 10 SDC was 1 MDC. This alone was a big change.

Then for the scaling thing, I think that was 2x, 3x and 5x. 2x was for PA/gargoyle level damage. 3x was Robot Vehicle/Dragon Hatchling scale. 5x was for truly huge, the Dragon Dreadnought from Atlantis, or an Ancient Dragon.

So when a PA suit fires at a soldier, he does x2 damage. When the soldier shoots at a PA suit, he does half damage. And when a PA suit fires at another PA suit, it does x1, or normal damage.

Kinda simple, and I'm sure I've muffed the numbers, but you get the basic idea. And we just converted stuff on the fly.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!

Return to “Rifts®”