Solar Powered Question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmer
Adventurer

Solar Powered Question

Unread post by Rimmer »

Would a solar powered hero be more powerful in space ? assuming either a space suit or some sort of ability to survive a vacuum.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Solar Powered Question

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'd say no, but I'd also say a lot depends on your definition of "sunlight"
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Not more powerful. But he doesn't have to worry about cloudy days (at least not while he's near the earth's orbit.

I may toss a bonus or two in the character's direction if he hovers much closer, but with the understanding that he's going to be pimp smacked if he ventures too far.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Yeah, even though the book never said so, And it's likely PB would say maybe, I go with yes.
For starters
►Reduce the time needed to absorb your Daily requirement/allotment of Solar energy to 2 hours (verses 6 hours), and reduce this further to 30miniutes when in Rifts Environments.
►Increase regeneration to 3D6 per melee. In Rifts this becomes 1D4x10 if your still SDC/HP in nature... Otherwise it is 2D6 MDC if of that nature.
►Increase PS, PB, and Spd to 50% (60% Rifts) when in direct sunlight while in space.
►Double the Damage, and multiply by ten the range of Light based attacks while under these conditions. +60% damage & X's 100 range in Rifts. (Hey, if your Laser just jumped in damage by 100 times Just from coming to Rifts, this range increase shouldn't be a far stretch... No should it?, Plus your in space where there's NO atmosphere to reduce it by).
►Triple Vision range in space. X's 6 in Rifts environments.

This sounds fair?
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Steeler49er wrote:Yeah, even though the book never said so, And it's likely PB would say maybe, I go with yes.
For starters
►Reduce the time needed to absorb your Daily requirement/allotment of Solar energy to 2 hours (verses 6 hours), and reduce this further to 30miniutes when in Rifts Environments.
►Increase regeneration to 3D6 per melee. In Rifts this becomes 1D4x10 if your still SDC/HP in nature... Otherwise it is 2D6 MDC if of that nature.
►Increase PS, PB, and Spd to 50% (60% Rifts) when in direct sunlight while in space.
►Double the Damage, and multiply by ten the range of Light based attacks while under these conditions. +60% damage & X's 100 range in Rifts. (Hey, if your Laser just jumped in damage by 100 times Just from coming to Rifts, this range increase shouldn't be a far stretch... No should it?, Plus your in space where there's NO atmosphere to reduce it by).
►Triple Vision range in space. X's 6 in Rifts environments.

This sounds fair?

Sounds Fair. :ok:
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Thank you Rimmer, glad i could help...

However, it should still be noted that you have No speacial resistance to said damaging light from the sun (let alone the Vacuum) save for taking ½ damage, which in this case would Still kill you) and you MUST be fully exposed to the light of the sun while in space, that is If you Don't have Bio-Aura.

But if you are immune to the effects of space or, you happen to have the power "Bio-Aura", your good to go!

Addendum to the above Rules adjustments for the ability "Solar Powered".
In Rifts Earth Environments the resistance to Light based damages becomes MDC. In addition the super still takes ½ damage from such attacks, meaning one must inflict 200 sdc or 2 MDC in damage with light based attacks to do even 1 point of damage of damage to the Super.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Rimmer wrote:Would a solar powered hero be more powerful in space ? assuming either a space suit or some sort of ability to survive a vacuum.

No. With the exception of ability #4, none of the abilities and bonuses of the Solar Powered power are affected by the amount or intensity of available sunlight; they only require that some level of sunlight be available.

If the character is simply floating in space above a planet (or doing EVA), then the character should be considered to be in sunlight as long as he remains on the day side of that planet.

If inside a vehicle or space station, then it is likely that very little direct sunlight will be available to the character, though there should be enough available from portholes to keep the character from starving. This means that the character won't be able to bio-regenerate, and stat bonuses will only be +20%.

Another important consideration is whether the Solar Powered character benefits from the light of stars other than the sun. Obviously, the power doesn't work with distant starlight, but it's possible that once you get close enough, any star can be another sun. It's also possible that the character requires a yellow sun, or the sun of his home planet. Unfortunately, the book doesn't help much here.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Rimmer wrote:Would a solar powered hero be more powerful in space ? assuming either a space suit or some sort of ability to survive a vacuum.

No. With the exception of ability #4, none of the abilities and bonuses of the Solar Powered power are affected by the amount or intensity of available sunlight; they only require that some level of sunlight be available.

If the character is simply floating in space above a planet (or doing EVA), then the character should be considered to be in sunlight as long as he remains on the day side of that planet.

If inside a vehicle or space station, then it is likely that very little direct sunlight will be available to the character, though there should be enough available from portholes to keep the character from starving. This means that the character won't be able to bio-regenerate, and stat bonuses will only be +20%.

Another important consideration is whether the Solar Powered character benefits from the light of stars other than the sun. Obviously, the power doesn't work with distant starlight, but it's possible that once you get close enough, any star can be another sun. It's also possible that the character requires a yellow sun, or the sun of his home planet. Unfortunately, the book doesn't help much here.

ok, with that in mind do you think that ability #4 would give higher bonuses ?

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The question becomes how Solar works with Space Native, or similar. If a character has both I would consider a small extra bonus in direct orbital sunlight, but that's just me.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”