Multiple Submissions

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Multiple Submissions

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

a unsolicited manuscript form for each,

Read the submission instructions completely.
It is covered. errr... last time I checked.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

What I suggest is not only a UMF for each, but paperclip the UMF to each submission separately. It shows that you have multiple pieces in the envelope that need to be considered separately.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

I'm not patient enough to submit multiple items at the same time and save shipping. Good luck, Gamer X. Under what name did you submit so that we will know to look for you?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

I'm there with you on writing time vs. being a dad.

Being someone that's been published in the Rifter before, there is a bit of advice that I would like to offer .

Have someone proofread the article if possible and then make your corrections. Once you do that, let the article age for a while. If you're writing only one article, let it age for a week or two in its "final form". Work on something else. Since you're writing multiple articles, I recommend completely finishing one before working on the next. This will help with the "aging" process of your article and prepare your brain.
When you come back to your article, re-read it in its entirety. Your brain won't be as familiar with it as when you first wrote it. Check for things like:

--Over all readability. Does the article have good grammar and sentence structure? Is it organized so that the reader can refer back to details later easily?
--Do you talk about something that hasn't been described yet? Or are you assuming your reader should know something that they couldn't have yet?
--Are there any missing details like stats or ideas that you missed? (like forgetting to note the P.P.E. of a minion - :frust: Been there, done that)
--Does the article keep your attention?
--Does it excite your imagination as much as when you were writing it?

I recommend doing this to anyone. Trust me, it's pretty embarrassing to find that your article is going to be published. But when you re-read it out of excitement, you find that there are things that you should have or would have changed.

I agree that if you do send them together, separate them into noticable packets (not just using a paperclip either because those can grab more than intented when shuffling papers around). Place a letter in the front describing what the contents of the package include ad that they have their own UMF etc.

Best of luck to you!

J. Larsen - A clone of Zor
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

GamerX wrote:
zor_prime1 wrote:Best of luck to you!

J. Larsen - A clone of Zor

Thanks for the advice. I do have a couple of people already lined up to proof-read for me. One is a grammar-whore, and the other is a rules-lawyer. I figure that, with their powers combined, they ought to be able to point out any mistakes or omissions that I've made.

Or summon Captain Planet. ;-)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

the power is YOURS!
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”