How is your game different from the book?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

erc1971
Wanderer

Re: How is your game different from the book?

Unread post by erc1971 »

TheGhostWriter wrote:
Citizen Lazlo wrote:I wish I could post my game, but alas I am forbidden.

:)

Yeah, it would be awesome to see your original manuscript. The man, unfortunately, has you bent over a barrel though.

I'm new to the boards, but I've been playing and running Palladium games for over ten years. I'd love to send in submissions for art and writing, but Palladium's contracts seem to be pretty unfair towards the artists.

TGW

I have to disagree. I don't know of any company that accepts freelance work, then allows the freelancers to distribute their work around the internet for free. If you submit art or written material to a company, it is pretty typical for your work to become property of whoever hired you or bought your work.

Eric
RIFTS..."It's ****ing Brilliant!" Kevin Sembieda May 5th 2006
Attended Palladium Open House, May 6th 2006, May 4th and 5th 2007, April 30th 2009, May 2nd 2009
Palladium Unofficial Employee
Kevin Siembieda to me during the big move: "Eric, you are a god!"
erc1971
Wanderer

Unread post by erc1971 »

Our changes were really minor.

Zombie AR: 0

We use the rules straight from RUE and we use the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons.

That is it.

Eric
RIFTS..."It's ****ing Brilliant!" Kevin Sembieda May 5th 2006
Attended Palladium Open House, May 6th 2006, May 4th and 5th 2007, April 30th 2009, May 2nd 2009
Palladium Unofficial Employee
Kevin Siembieda to me during the big move: "Eric, you are a god!"
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Unread post by 9voltkilowatt »

TheGhostWriter wrote:I love the idea behind Dead Reign, but I wasn't very pleased with the results, so I'm just using the basic mechanics. I'll be developing my own storyline, and I will post more later. For now this is how I've started.

In my game, zombies are still humans. They just suffer from a disease, virus, contagion, whatever. They must eat and drink or they will die. They can be easily killed. They don't go dormant, and their bite (saliva) spreads the sickness.

Stage One

Individual has flu-like symptoms: body aches, fever, coughing, etc.

Stage Two

Individual is bedridden and in intense pain. In addittion to the aforementioned symptoms, the infected person also develops lesions and sweats profusely. Likewise, patients in stage two vomit and loose control of their bodily functions. Also, thick mucous drains from the eyes, mouth and nostrils. Stage two patients eventually fall into a comatose state.

Stage Three

Patients awaken from coma. They are aggressive. They suffer from deterioration of the frontal lobe. Their skin takes on a very sickly pallor: lesions, bruises, and vericose veins. They have limited speech and suffer from nerve damage, but retain muscle strength and mobility. These patients do not go out of their way to attack others. In fact, they would rather flee. Nevertheless, they will brutally attack anyone that blocks their flight.

State Four

Patient suffers from severe brain damage, muscle atrophy and limited mobility. Their flesh becomes necrotic. They are hostile, muderous and cannibalistic. They experience severe nerve damage and feel no pain. While their body no longer heals itself, their blood clots quickly. The only way to quickly stop this "monster" is by destroying it's brain or heart. Damaging other major organs will kill stage four patients but at a much slower rate.
_____

These are just my standard slouchers. I plan to work in aberrant zombie types later: thinkers, runners, brutes, lords and paragons. These will be zombies that have mutated or evolved past stage four.

Also, at some point I will be allowing minor psionics in my game.

How is your game different from the book?

TGW

From the looks of it you basically bought the book, read it, threw it aside and made your own zombie setting. How exactly do the zombies manage to reach sufficiently apocalyptic numbers to actually be a real problem in your setting?
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Unread post by 9voltkilowatt »

TheGhostWriter wrote:
9voltkilowatt wrote:From the looks of it you basically bought the book, read it, threw it aside and made your own zombie setting. How exactly do the zombies manage to reach sufficiently apocalyptic numbers to actually be a real problem in your setting?

1. In all stages the disease is very contagious.

2. Because of the extended incubation period, many more people are exposed to the virus than might have otherwise been exposed if the world governments had taken extreme precautions.

Those bits are for people who would like a total apocalypse.

I'm not looking to run that kind of game though. I want the outbreaks to be more maneagable and far short of pandemic. Also, while I want chaos and collapse, I'm not going for systemic failure, so I guess you're right. I bought the book, read it, and now I'm creating my own zombie setting as I go along.

TGW

Fair enough, and just to let you know ...your not alone. Years back I made my own zombie setting but I was hoping Dead Reign would out shine what I already have, as it turns out I decided to just keep going with what I've got.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Our game has some Beyond the Supernatural characters and Australia, Japan and Iceland have only small cases of zombies.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!

Return to “Dead Reign™”