What sets Dead Reign apart from other PB games?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kagashi
Champion

What sets Dead Reign apart from other PB games?

Unread post by Kagashi »

This is prolly already covered, but I just couldnt find the thread. Keep in mind I dont have a gaming store around me, so I cant just pick up a book and flip through it.

Im just not feeling this game. How is this book any different than me playing with existing PB zombies in a (yet another) Post-Apocalypse world, using the same old guns listed in the back of HU with some generic OCCs thrown in there?

1) Are there new rules to the standard PB combat format? (I heard a rumor about multi-opponents)

2) Has Palladium finally updated their SDC guns from outside the 1970's, or is it just another reprint of the back of Heroes Unlimited?

3) Tanks, APCs, Helos, Jets? (if any?)

4) Are all the guns based on real weapons, or did they make up new ones like they did in After the Bomb?

5) I know there are different kinds of zombies (read them in a Rifter), how well did they expand upon zombies beyond what I read in Dark Conversions and the Rifter?

6) Are there MDC conversion stats? Notes on the effects of Magic?

7) Are zombies the only opponents?

8 ) is this a smash hit Rifter 21 "must have"? Or is it a Systems Failure "might use once in a Heroes/Rifts campaign" book?

Thanks in advance.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Kagashi
Champion

Re: What sets Dead Reign apart from other PB games?

Unread post by Kagashi »

Thanks CL!

I didnt realize the book was only at the printers. For some reason I saw the main page and thought it had shipped.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Are they possessed of the standard Zombie Vulnerabilities/Invulnerabilities common to all Palladium undead???
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I for one was dead set against this book because other that Resident Evil I never cared for Zombies and I wanted some Rifts books out Now, but I got hooked by the cover art and the names of the O.C.C.s now I can't wait to get the book. Sure there's no magic or psionics, which at least may give my group a chance to try something new even if it only for a few weeks. I'm itching to read this one at work during the slow time.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Dash
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Dash »

runebeo wrote:I for one was dead set against this book because other that Resident Evil I never cared for Zombies and I wanted some Rifts books out Now, but I got hooked by the cover art and the names of the O.C.C.s now I can't wait to get the book. Sure there's no magic or psionics, which at least may give my group a chance to try something new even if it only for a few weeks. I'm itching to read this one at work during the slow time.

I'll second more rifts books......

Some of my friends are zombie obsessed tho, so I may use this to get them used to the palladium mechanic...
Tyrannosapiens Rex of The Player's Keep (formerly Explorers Unlimited)

Maybe you remember Living Mercenaries?
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

The only thing I can say is what was in R40 was excellent, what happened after that is up in the air.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Kagashi wrote:This is prolly already covered, but I just couldnt find the thread. Keep in mind I dont have a gaming store around me, so I cant just pick up a book and flip through it.

Im just not feeling this game. How is this book any different than me playing with existing PB zombies in a (yet another) Post-Apocalypse world, using the same old guns listed in the back of HU with some generic OCCs thrown in there?

1) Are there new rules to the standard PB combat format? (I heard a rumor about multi-opponents)

2) Has Palladium finally updated their SDC guns from outside the 1970's, or is it just another reprint of the back of Heroes Unlimited?

4) Are all the guns based on real weapons, or did they make up new ones like they did in After the Bomb?

5) I know there are different kinds of zombies (read them in a Rifter), how well did they expand upon zombies beyond what I read in Dark Conversions and the Rifter?

8 ) is this a smash hit Rifter 21 "must have"? Or is it a Systems Failure "might use once in a Heroes/Rifts campaign" book?

Thanks in advance.

Okay...same questions now that the book is out!
Updated Aug 2015
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Here is a link I would recommend to aonyone reading the book: http://shortify.com/8091 . I somehow see a gane of DR having a lot of elements from Dead Rising.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Kagashi wrote:This is prolly already covered, but I just couldnt find the thread. Keep in mind I dont have a gaming store around me, so I cant just pick up a book and flip through it.

The zombies here are way different then anything Palladium has done before.

There are additional combat rules now (ranged combat, called/aimed shots)etc.. are all a bit different to add a level of suspense.

Guns are updated.

Tanks: Yes Helos: Yes Jets: Sorta

They are real. I need to verify a specfic combat shotgun, but they are real. As for After the Bomb - uh duh, it was a futuristic RPG, so yeah things are going to be made up. Unless you know someone that can mutate animals overnight and give them human speech and looks? :D

There are the 3 from the Rifter, plus Mock Zombie (zombie that retains some of its human memory. think of the black zombie gas station guy from Land of the Dead), Crawlers (zombies without legs).

Yes there are MDC conversion stats. I dont recall effects of magic.

Nope. You got zombies, death priests, retros (humans who give up on tech and blame those that still cling to tech as the reason we have zombies), human scum/gangs/etc... other survivors, the elements, supplies,etc...

I think Dead Reign is going to be a smash. With certain people and their negativity isnt helping, once people see the book for themselves and make up their own minds, I think they will like it as much as I do.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Sureshot wrote:Here is a link I would recommend to aonyone reading the book: http://shortify.com/8091 . I somehow see a gane of DR having a lot of elements from Dead Rising.

I love that video game!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Thanks for the quick responses NMI! It sure helps me out a lot.

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Kagashi wrote:4) Are all the guns based on real weapons, or did they make up new ones like they did in After the Bomb?

They are real. I need to verify a specfic combat shotgun, but they are real. As for After the Bomb - uh duh, it was a futuristic RPG, so yeah things are going to be made up. Unless you know someone that can mutate animals overnight and give them human speech and looks? :D

Yeah, just want sure if DR was going to be another alternate type universe, or if it was based on zombies attacking tomorrow in a world similar to ours. Sounds like the latter.

For the record, I liked AtB and its weapons. Real stuff is cool too, Im just trying to get a feel of this game before buying it. I was disappointed with Splicers and Systems Failure and I didnt ask questions like this prior to buying them. Im not going to make that same mistake again. Course if more people actually shelved things other than WotC products around here, I wouldn't have to.
Updated Aug 2015
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

The shotgun I wanted to verify is real too!
Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shotgun Jolly »

Kinda off topic.. but kinda not.

The Compendium to Modern Weapons.. when was the last printing of it? Or a better question, If i was to buy it from Palladium, how current would the copy of it be?

Need to know :) And I also heard in DR, the weapon damage is kinda different based on BTS? how can that be? what is the difference between the worlds? its all the same, isnt it?
©-JC Locke retains ownership and rights of all original artwork and information posted
by the ShotGun Jolly account.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Shotgun Jolly wrote:Kinda off topic.. but kinda not.

The Compendium to Modern Weapons.. when was the last printing of it? Or a better question, If i was to buy it from Palladium, how current would the copy of it be?

Need to know :) And I also heard in DR, the weapon damage is kinda different based on BTS? how can that be? what is the difference between the worlds? its all the same, isnt it?

I dont have my copy with me, so Im not sure for certain, but I got mine sometime in 1996 or 97 or so. There might be printings after that, but I dont think the book has been revised since then. So the most modern weapon in there is like the now unused Calico pistols. No P-90s or anything newer like that. Tanks and such are pretty old (1980s vintage at the newest).

The damages and SDC of the weapons are slightly different than the rest of palladium because the book was designed to be used by any game system out there. But its still pretty close to Palladium damages.

Its a decent book, although I think it could be better or expanded upon.
Updated Aug 2015
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Well unless you have access to a manufacturing facility or are a serious gun enthusiast or are in the military the latest greatest guns are probably not something you could scrounge. I feel Contemporary weapons is an excellent resource for firearms, RPG and Anti tank weapons. I havent bought Dead Reign yet nor do i have BTS2 so I cant tell if the system has changed but I expect it is close enough the stats for forearms will still be usefull.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.

Return to “Dead Reign™”