Should I buy this?

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

demos606
Hero

Re: Should I buy this?

Unread post by demos606 »

Reviews where that say this is terrible? Personally, I consider it one of the best settings on the market though some support for it would be seriously nice.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I love this book so much. I've wore out two copies and now I'm on my third one. Only complaint is about how the setting locks out magic and psionics.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

runebeo wrote:I love this book so much. I've wore out two copies and now I'm on my third one. Only complaint is about how the setting locks out magic and psionics.

No Psionics or magic ?

Can a spell caster or a mind mage of any kind come into the setting an use thier abilities or would they lose them ??
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Lenwen wrote:
runebeo wrote:I love this book so much. I've wore out two copies and now I'm on my third one. Only complaint is about how the setting locks out magic and psionics.

No Psionics or magic ?

Can a spell caster or a mind mage of any kind come into the setting an use thier abilities or would they lose them ??

As written in the books, psionics and magic would be strictly SDC and there are strict PPE and ISP penalties, both for spell/power cost and recovery. Of course, this is not set in stone. The Splicers world you play in can have whatever magic and psionic rules you wish.
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

tedted wrote:then how do saints heal so well?

It's a physiological ability they gain access to using purely biological means, nothing mystical involved.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Ectoplasmic Bidet wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

No Psionics or magic ?

As written in the books, psionics and magic would be strictly SDC and there are strict PPE and ISP penalties, both for spell/power cost and recovery. Of course, this is not set in stone. The Splicers world you play in can have whatever magic and psionic rules you wish.

Magic is NOT a purely SDC affair in Splicers. MDC effects are still MDC, just for half the duration at double the cost from the casters personal PPE/ISP stores. There's NO ambient ISP/PPE because there are no ley lines. Whether this extends beyond the single planet is uncertain but unlikely imo. Saints, as previously mentioned, don't use mystical means of any kind to heal, it's a physiological effect.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

It's my new favorite setting since I've discovered it.

And I like that it locks out psionics and magic. I discovered Rifts...maybe 12 years ago and played it almost exclusively for about 8 of those years. Magic and psionics seem to be the easy solution to just about everything when it isn't a straight out battle.

And the Saint's healing is more like a super-power than magic or psionics, it's biological.

The reviewers that didn't like it either probably dislike it because it's Palladium (I've run into that sentiment a lot) or because it isn't D&D (or their preferred setting).

It also suffers from lack of sourcebooks, however there is some quality fan-made stuff here on these boards, some Rifter articles, and a fan-made sourcebook in the works (which I'm guessing if Palladium won't publish it then they may put it out online somewhere).
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

If you're responding to my post, I never saw any official reviews. When I said reviewers I meant RPG hobbyists who probably judged the game without actually reviewing it. Just skimming it, or not even cracking the book just looking at the cover, seeing "Palladium" and judging it based on a bad previous experience (bad GM, etc).
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

I really like this book and setting. Just wish there were other books for the setting. It is a good buy. :ok:
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Glad you like, new you would. :ok:
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

tedted wrote:then how do saints heal so well?
I would imagine it being similar to HU2; its a natural rapid 'super' ability.

But back to the original question of should you buy this? The short answer is yes you should. I love this game! It has all the things that Rifts HU2 and ATB could not provide and that to some degree I wanted. Sure theres some conversion needed or at least some rules that need to be put into play as to how people will react to this hidious new horror, but its worth it.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

I just got Splicers yesterday based on this thread.
It rocks much.

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Another satisfied customer :D

Glad you liked it. :ok:
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Kryzbyn wrote:I just got Splicers yesterday based on this thread.
It rocks much.

Welcome, glad we could corrupt...er...help. :)
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Well, thanks to Lost One, you can add me to the list.

Just got the book and ain't really had a chance to look through it yet, but from what I've seen...

Tight! 8)
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Ahh new recruits to the Splicer cause.

Ok guys, Lets take a good look at you. Ok, After we put you guys through Basic Training, You can select how you can best help the HOUSE of Carmen.

Buy first, go grab several D&D players and bring them in to be processed into Biotics...ASAP. We need more Shocktroops.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

tedted wrote:if thier is no magic how do saints heal or do they just have all the healing skills?

My take on the Saint 's ability is that in fact it is the preliminiary design to a more indepth design, but these designs in total are alien/highly alien influenced. So it is feasible to say that the alien influence allotts for the Saints to have some comprehensive connections & means of healing/understanidng that we the people/colony have not yet scientifically defined.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

I'd like to learn more about the origin of the alien lifeform that joins with the saints and librarians and makes the pools possible. I think one supposition is an aspect of the machine created it and gave it to the humans, but I dunno that seems too "matrix"-y. Is there more info I missed, or will there need to be a supplemental book that explains this?

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

There is lot of talk about the saints healing abilties, but everyone forget to take in account some of bio-enhancements, like bio-force fields, Bio-energy blaster(shot your life for saying it loud) and bio-comms, who seem well bordering a lot psionic and magic( still not enough freaky...but gimme time)
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I've been debating on whether to get Splicers or not...this & a few other threads sold me. Plus TechnoGoth's sig planted the seed that the threads cultivated...Termanator-Guiveresque goodness! Just to save the $$$ & order it.
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I only got splicers to fill out my PB game book collection.

Scrolled through this real fast and saw someone mention the X-mass Grab-bag. Splicers is a good item to ask for in the GB.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

I also find the splicers setting to be a very interesting one. The host armors are some of the most interesting customizable pieces of equipment I've seen. I hybrid it with RIFTS though, because I like the whole megaversal melting pot too much to leave it entirely, lol.

The classes, technology, and concepts are all just awesome.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Everyone should buy this game, in fact, everyone should buy ten copies.
12 copies of the upcoming sourcebook too.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I actually have to get a new copy of splicers since it is the only Palladium book that I've eer out-played the binding. Pages are going to start falling out any day now.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:Everyone should buy this game, in fact, everyone should buy ten copies.
12 copies of the upcoming sourcebook too.

O rearry? I didn't realize there was an upcoming sourcebook! Sweet! So glad you mentioned it!
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

it is fantastic.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:it is fantastic.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

We need new Recruits.

THE SPLICE MUST FLOW !!!
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

My girlfriend just gave me a copy the other day. I've been asking for one in my Palladium Grab Bag as a game I'd like to try for three years and they sent it in the one she ordered for me this year. Now I just need to convince someone to run it so I can play a Packmaster.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/

Return to “Splicers®”