Amplified Hearing

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lather
Champion

Re: Amplified Hearing

Unread post by lather »

Per situation.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

I could go into a long and discriptive essay about how we use the bi=onuses, where when and how etc. But the short story is "kinda like the psi power of sixth sense" yeah that about covers it.

Of course that brings to mind the essay on how we use sixth sense ? :lol:
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

K20A2_S wrote:
lather wrote:Per situation.

Which makes most sense to me too, but but even more things to keep up with as a GM.

Or leave it up to the player to ask if it applies. ;-)

Actually, it becomes more less of a hassle and more of a second nature type of thing as the campaign develops.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

K20A2_S wrote:Now is teh +2 just for hth or for dodging energy blasts also?

Personally, I'd say "no", but that's because I play it that you can't dodge energy blasts.

One alternative I have run with is that the Physical Prowess bonus applies to everything, hth, energy blasts, whatever. While the hth bonus applies strictly to hth. So if you have +2 from P.P. and +2 from hth, then you get +4 in hth fighting but only +2 for energy blasts.

The other way is that hth is also for dodging energy blasts.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

K20A2_S wrote:How do you guys handle the bonuses? apply all the time or just situational? apply only hth or dodging energy blasts also?

I apply the bonas's at all times ...

In regaurds to your dodging energy blasts ... sorry but that is impossible ..
-10 to dodge within 50ft ...
-5 to dodge further then 50ft ..
Thats for projectile styled weapons ...

I add -5 to each for trying to dodge a Energy weapon .. as the Energy weapon does not make any sounds ...exept the click of the trigger being pulled ... if you dont know your being attacked ... Your dead ...
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

There is too much accounting going on if you're regulating the bonuses from amplified hearing. That and it doesn't list the bonus as being lost due to situation X, so why deny a player it if the book would not? Really, it's not like we have anything in reality to compare this to, so why attempt a "realism" when it involves more work for everyone, and less fun for the players in question?
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Lenwen wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:How do you guys handle the bonuses? apply all the time or just situational? apply only hth or dodging energy blasts also?

FIREBALL!

-10 to dodge within 50ft ...
-5 to dodge further then 50ft ..
Thats for projectile styled weapons ...

I add -5 to each for trying to dodge a Energy weapon .. as the Energy weapon does not make any sounds ...exept the click of the trigger being pulled ... if you dont know your being attacked ... Your dead ...

The gun itself may make sound, as anything with power flowing through it generally does. That and since we don't know what it is like to have hearing better than a dogs' we cannot say for sure what signals would indicate a weapon about to be fired. For instance, the sound of MDC metals rubbing together could the stimuli someone identifies as the indicator that a weapon is about to be fired.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

lather wrote:

Personally, I'd say "no", but that's because I play it that you can't dodge energy blasts.

One alternative I have run with is that the Physical Prowess bonus applies to everything, hth, energy blasts, whatever. While the hth bonus applies strictly to hth. So if you have +2 from P.P. and +2 from hth, then you get +4 in hth fighting but only +2 for energy blasts.

People can slow time, cut through reality and travel to other dimensions, and throw fireballs, as well as make personal body armour that can easily stop any modern weapon we possess today (short of a nuke).
People can take drugs that offer reactions as fast as a humming bird beats its wings, can kill with their minds, and can even see the future.

But they can't dodge energy blasts?
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dog_O_War wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

FIREBALL!

I dont know of any tech based Energy weapon that fires ...er .. um .. well Fireballs ... Thier either..
Plasma =One long continues or several shorter streams of superheated energy .. nuthing in the likeness of a Fireball ..
or
Laser = Again several short or longer beams of light concentrated so highly that the beam of light actually damages the surface it touches .. nuthing in the likeness of a Fireball ...
Dog_O_War
Champion

Lenwen wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

FIREBALL!

I dont know of any tech based Energy weapon that fires ...er .. um .. well Fireballs ... Thier either..
Plasma =One long continues or several shorter streams of superheated energy .. nuthing in the likeness of a Fireball ..
or
Laser = Again several short or longer beams of light concentrated so highly that the beam of light actually damages the surface it touches .. nuthing in the likeness of a Fireball ...

You missed the point I was trying to make. A ball of fire is "impossible", as is the means in which they are created in Rifts (magic), yet they are both realities within the game. Why is this true, and a person dodging a laser so surreal that you'd deny it, or say that it was impossible. I mean, technically laser guns are "impossible", powered armour is "impossible", and Bionic strength, as well as a drug regimen that makes a human ten feet tall and capable of lifting and throwing a compact car are both "impossible", but you accept these as the opposite. Why then is "dodging" a laser or ion beam so jaunting from the psudo-reality of the game that you'd label it unachieveable?
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Dog_O_War wrote:
lather wrote:

People can slow time, cut through reality and travel to other dimensions, and throw fireballs, as well as make personal body armour that can easily stop any modern weapon we possess today (short of a nuke).
People can take drugs that offer reactions as fast as a humming bird beats its wings, can kill with their minds, and can even see the future.

But they can't dodge energy blasts?
They can't eat their own heads either.

So what?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dog_O_War wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

FIREBALL!

or

You missed the point I was trying to make. A ball of fire is "impossible", as is the means in which they are created in Rifts (magic), yet they are both realities within the game. Why is this true, and a person dodging a laser so surreal that you'd deny it, or say that it was impossible.

Because at point blank range the laser is moving faster then even your brain can comprehend to start to even scramble the thoughts to the muscles in which the (autododge) would normally work ...

At rangers between 10 to 50 Ft. Your going to have what I personally call as Optimal Dodge capacity ...
A Your going to know that your under attack ...
B You know where the attack is comming from ..
C You will know generally when the shooter is going to shoot ...
D Your going to hear the click of the Trigger ...If your enhanced you will be givin ample enough bonases to where it might only take off your arm , leg, what ever ( substitute body part here)

At Ranges Greater then 50+ feet
A Your not going to Hear anything from anywhere when he shoots at you ..
B You wont even know your under attack ...until your already shot ...
C You will not know WHERE the attack is comming from ...

And just hope an pray that some one does not use NG Pistols to snipe you with cause some have reaches of up to 1000 ft ... where you lose sight , hearing , all bonases to auto-dodge if your up against some one that you have no idea is even there ..

Dog_O_War wrote: I mean, technically laser guns are "impossible", powered armour is "impossible", and Bionic strength, as well as a drug regimen that makes a human ten feet tall and capable of lifting and throwing a compact car are both "impossible", but you accept these as the opposite. Why then is "dodging" a laser or ion beam so jaunting from the psudo-reality of the game that you'd label it unachieveable?

I suspend my disbelief in parts of the game to play the game it is after all a Game ..

How ever when my PC's want to dodge things like BEAMS OF LIGHT Can you honestly show me merit of that even being achievable ... ???

Speed of light is as directly put ..
the speed of light is about 670,616,630.6 miles per hour or 983,571,056 feet per second, which is about 186,282.397 miles per second, or roughly one foot per nanosecond.
A nanosecond is one billionth of a second.

Conversly ...
In humans, reaction time to visual stimuli is typically 150 to 300 milliseconds
A millisecond (from milli- and second; abbreviation: ms) is one thousandth of a second.

No UNauged human can even THINK within the spectrum of time needed to even react to something in the Billionths of seconds ...

This is not just some "bullet" by the way I allow for them to dodge bullets .. as thier not travelling even 1/1000th the speed of light does ...
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

You don't need Amplified Hearing to hear the tortured screams of the catgirl God is killing.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

K20A2_S wrote:But I though you're dodging the motion of someone shooting you(gun aiming at you), not really the beam itself?????

Which would entail ... You having to hear the "Click" of the trigger being pulled...

at ranges greater then 50 ft ... Your not going to hear it ...

And that does not take into account either ... If the guns already aimed at you and everything ... "pointblank" and then your dodging the Beam of light itself .. not the motion of the trigger pull ...
Dog_O_War
Champion

The laser is moving faster than your brain can comprehend at any distance, because it is hitting you the moment before you see it. This means that under no circumstances should reaction to light be "dodgeable".

Fortunately a person at point blank (or any range) is not dodging the blast; they are dodging the targetting solution (ie: where the barrel is pointing when the trigger is pulled).

At rangers between 10 to 50 Ft. Your going to have what I personally call as Optimal Dodge capacity ...
A Your going to know that your under attack ...
B You know where the attack is comming from ..
C You will know generally when the shooter is going to shoot ...
D Your going to hear the click of the Trigger ...If your enhanced you will be givin ample enough bonases to where it might only take off your arm , leg, what ever ( substitute body part here)

At Ranges Greater then 50+ feet
A Your not going to Hear anything from anywhere when he shoots at you ..
B You wont even know your under attack ...until your already shot ...
C You will not know WHERE the attack is comming from ...

At ranges of greater than 50+ feet we have no idea what we will and will not hear, as our ears can percieve sound from miles away and remain deaf to things less than a foot away from our heads. Juicers (and other OCC's specifically) are able to react to things they are unaware of; the book says this. HtH commando confers no such benefit, only that of no wasted dodge action. As for not being able to see attacks from 50+ feet away; I was unaware people became blind after this marker. The factor of distance is completely situational on who does and does not have suprise. On a clear day I can see the mountains (over 65 miles away) from my street, and I have less than stellar vision (I should be wearing glasses with 15/10 eye-sight). This would indicate that people can infact see beyond 50 feet and may be aware.

Lenwen wrote:And just hope an pray that some one does not use NG Pistols to snipe you with cause some have reaches of up to 1000 ft ... where you lose sight , hearing , all bonases to auto-dodge if your up against some one that you have no idea is even there ..

I recall there being a blurb in the book stating that you lose bonuses to stuff anyways for being "unaware" regardless of what they are bonuses to. As I had said previous, auto-dodge itself does not confer sixth sense; only certain OCC's do. This statement is redundant.

Lenwen wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote: I mean, technically laser guns are "impossible", powered armour is "impossible", and Bionic strength, as well as a drug regimen that makes a human ten feet tall and capable of lifting and throwing a compact car are both "impossible", but you accept these as the opposite. Why then is "dodging" a laser or ion beam so jaunting from the psudo-reality of the game that you'd label it unachieveable?

I suspend my disbelief in parts of the game to play the game it is after all a Game ..

How ever when my PC's want to dodge things like BEAMS OF LIGHT Can you honestly show me merit of that even being achievable ... ???

Speed of light is as directly put ..
the speed of light is about 670,616,630.6 miles per hour or 983,571,056 feet per second, which is about 186,282.397 miles per second, or roughly one foot per nanosecond.
A nanosecond is one billionth of a second.

EXTRA!!! EXTRA!!! NORMAL HUMAN CONJUERS MAGICAL BALL OF HEAT AND FLAME!

This just in! A man by the name of
Speel Castar, of the Idahoan Castars
has produced a ball of flame with a bit
of bat droppings, a pinch of sulfur, and
an odd wiggling of his fingers! CS Star
reporter Unbi Leeva-Bull says, live on
location. It was like some kinda "fireball"
Passar Bie, a local to the area said.
Such a thing is clearly explainable as swamp-
gas reflecting off of the moons of saturn

says local expert Nomathca Naccount-Forthis.
We were on a debunking mission where
some Juiced-up Crazy man claimed to
have gotten out of the firing path
of his cousin's L-20 due to an accute
regimen of exersize and training, where
he claimed that he just watches the barrel
and puts himself in a place it's not
pointing, but that was set aside for
a non-fiction story Leeva-Bull reports.
More at six...
:roll:

Lenwen wrote:Conversly ...
In humans, reaction time to visual stimuli is typically 150 to 300 milliseconds
A millisecond (from milli- and second; abbreviation: ms) is one thousandth of a second.

No UNauged human can even THINK within the spectrum of time needed to even react to something in the Billionths of seconds ...

This is not just some "bullet" by the way I allow for them to dodge bullets .. as thier not travelling even 1/1000th the speed of light does ...

Why does the attack have to happen for the dodge attempt to be made? Parry doesn't work this way, as if the attack happens and then after determining whether it hit or not you attempted to parry (though we do this while playing a game as to reduce unneeded rolling, this is not the case in actual hand to hand combat; parries are made on the incoming as it happens), so why must dodging only occur after the attack is sent your way? Clearly then nothing could ever be dodged as they all travel faster than we percive the outside world. Bullets impact a person, often before the sound reaches their ears (assuming the sound travels that far). Like thunder and lightning, we get the visual que, then the sound que; unfortunately the strike happens before we percieve either one.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dog_O_War wrote:The laser is moving faster than your brain can comprehend at any distance, because it is hitting you the moment before you see it. This means that under no circumstances should reaction to light be "dodgeable".

100% agreeable ...

Dog_O_War wrote: Fortunately a person at point blank (or any range) is not dodging the blast; they are dodging the targetting solution (ie: where the barrel is pointing when the trigger is pulled).

And when they cant see the Weapon itself ? Then what ? Hidden Shooter for instance ??

Dog_O_War wrote:one At ranges of greater than 50+ feet we have no idea what we will and will not hear, as our ears can percieve sound from miles away and remain deaf to things less than a foot away from our heads. Juicers (and other OCC's specifically) are able to react to things they are unaware of; the book says this. HtH commando confers no such benefit, only that of no wasted dodge action.

They get to dodge .. then .. but as you said Auto Dodge does not give them the ability or a spider sence or 6th sence as it were .... Just the ability to dodge ...

Dog_O_War wrote: two As for not being able to see attacks from 50+ feet away; I was unaware people became blind after this marker. The factor of distance is completely situational on who does and does not have suprise. On a clear day I can see the mountains (over 65 miles away) from my street, and I have less than stellar vision (I should be wearing glasses with 15/10 eye-sight). This would indicate that people can infact see beyond 50 feet and may be aware.

Sweet baby jebus .. Your trying to quate see'ing a MOUNTAIN to actually see'ing some one pull a trigger from 50ft or greater away !!!

Nice .. Thats got to be the understatment or excuse me the under example of the year ..

Dog_O_War wrote: Why does the attack have to happen for the dodge attempt to be made? Parry doesn't work this way, as if the attack happens and then after determining whether it hit or not you attempted to parry (though we do this while playing a game as to reduce unneeded rolling, this is not the case in actual hand to hand combat; parries are made on the incoming as it happens), so why must dodging only occur after the attack is sent your way? [/qoute]

I apologize for this but is that not how dodge works ? You have to be attacked PRIOR to you being able to dodge an attack ??

Dog_O_War wrote: Clearly then nothing could ever be dodged as they all travel faster than we percive the outside world. Bullets impact a person, often before the sound reaches their ears (assuming the sound travels that far). Like thunder and lightning, we get the visual que, then the sound que; unfortunately the strike happens before we percieve either one.

Wrong .. A bullet does not impact a person faster then the sound reaches thier ears ...

330 meters per second is the average a bullet travels ..

Sound Travels at 767.3 MPH ...
Dog_O_War
Champion

Lenwen wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote: Fortunately a person at point blank (or any range) is not dodging the blast; they are dodging the targetting solution (ie: where the barrel is pointing when the trigger is pulled).

And when they cant see the Weapon itself ? Then what ? Hidden Shooter for instance ??

You've answered your own question here. Hidden shooter = suprise attack.

Lenwen wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:one At ranges of greater than 50+ feet we have no idea what we will and will not hear, as our ears can percieve sound from miles away and remain deaf to things less than a foot away from our heads. Juicers (and other OCC's specifically) are able to react to things they are unaware of; the book says this. HtH commando confers no such benefit, only that of no wasted dodge action.

They get to dodge .. then .. but as you said Auto Dodge does not give them the ability or a spider sence or 6th sence as it were .... Just the ability to dodge ...

Yes, that is exactly what I said. Auto-dodge is a dodge that does not require an action (similar to parry); It does not confer other super-abilities apon the user.

Lenwen wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote: two As for not being able to see attacks from 50+ feet away; I was unaware people became blind after this marker. The factor of distance is completely situational on who does and does not have suprise. On a clear day I can see the mountains (over 65 miles away) from my street, and I have less than stellar vision (I should be wearing glasses with 15/10 eye-sight). This would indicate that people can infact see beyond 50 feet and may be aware.

Sweet baby jebus .. Your trying to quate see'ing a MOUNTAIN to actually see'ing some one pull a trigger from 50ft or greater away !!!

Nice .. Thats got to be the understatment or excuse me the under example of the year ..

You shouldn't attempt comedy or sarcasm; the way you write already confuses most posters, and only compounds the problem. I mean, "quate"? "see'ing"? While it's low to attack another poster on a forum due to their prose and spelling, people are given a bit of grace when said posters attempt to get witty. You are not witty, and if you had read what I posted in reponse to what you wrote you would've realized that people are quite capable of seeing weapons being pointed at them from 51 feet and beyond. I offered that if a person with bad eyesight can see the mountains with clarity, then surely closer distances (like 51-400ft) shouldn't be such a problem when spotting trouble. I mean, I can see a gun-wielding wanna-be at 400ft, and I know who he's aiming at (even if that gun is full of paint).

Lenwen wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote: Why does the attack have to happen for the dodge attempt to be made? Parry doesn't work this way, as if the attack happens and then after determining whether it hit or not you attempted to parry (though we do this while playing a game as to reduce unneeded rolling, this is not the case in actual hand to hand combat; parries are made on the incoming as it happens), so why must dodging only occur after the attack is sent your way?

I apologize for this but is that not how dodge works ? You have to be attacked PRIOR to you being able to dodge an attack ??

You spoke of reacting to attacks (ie: ones just made, then a reaction happens), counter to your current statement (underlined and in bold).

Lenwen wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote: Clearly then nothing could ever be dodged as they all travel faster than we percive the outside world. Bullets impact a person, often before the sound reaches their ears (assuming the sound travels that far). Like thunder and lightning, we get the visual que, then the sound que; unfortunately the strike happens before we percieve either one.

Wrong .. A bullet does not impact a person faster then the sound reaches thier ears ...

I should have been more clear here. Certain firearms can and do break the speed of sound, having the bullet (and especially in the case of Rifts with railguns and rail-rounds) travel faster than the sound, impacting the body before the sound can reach the ears. Another is when the bullet travels farther than the sound, offering that you do not hear the projectile, and it simply impacts the target.
I am fairly confident that the mega-damage weaponry in Rifts that fire projectiles breaks the sound barrier.

Infact guns have been breaking the sound barrier since the 1800's. Not all do, but some have.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Lenwen wrote:Sweet baby jebus .. Your trying to quate see'ing a MOUNTAIN to actually see'ing some one pull a trigger from 50ft or greater away !!!

Dog_O_War wrote: You shouldn't attempt comedy or sarcasm; the way you write already confuses most posters, and only compounds the problem. I mean, "quate"? "see'ing"? While it's low to attack another poster on a forum due to their prose and spelling, people are given a bit of grace when said posters attempt to get witty. You are not witty, and if you had read what I posted in reponse to what you wrote you would've realized that people are quite capable of seeing weapons being pointed at them from 51 feet and beyond. I offered that if a person with bad eyesight can see the mountains with clarity, then surely closer distances (like 51-400ft) shouldn't be such a problem when spotting trouble. I mean, I can see a gun-wielding wanna-be at 400ft, and I know who he's aiming at (even if that gun is full of paint).

My entire point on this subject if not already clear for you then I sincerly apologize ...
Seeing a mountain vrs seeing a weapon is 2 completly different things .. one does not EQUATE (which I forgot the E the last time I made sure that you could read it correctly this time my friend) to the other ..

Seeing a weapon pointed at you ... and actually Seeing the trigger being pulled is also two 100% completly different things ...how can you see the trigger being pulled when you cant even see the trigger when the weapon is pointed at you ...an its such a slight movement that when done your not going to know ... or hear at distances greater then 50+ ft away ...

Lenwen wrote:

Dog_O_War wrote: I should have been more clear here. Certain firearms can and do break the speed of sound, having the bullet (and especially in the case of Rifts with railguns and rail-rounds) travel faster than the sound, impacting the body before the sound can reach the ears. Another is when the bullet travels farther than the sound, offering that you do not hear the projectile, and it simply impacts the target.
I am fairly confident that the mega-damage weaponry in Rifts that fire projectiles breaks the sound barrier.

Infact guns have been breaking the sound barrier since the 1800's. Not all do, but some have.

See now all that is fine and dandy with projectile based weaponry but the fact is we were and have been discussing lasers and thier style weaponry ... or have we switched subjects ?
Dog_O_War
Champion

Lenwen wrote:Seeing a weapon pointed at you ... and actually Seeing the trigger being pulled is also two 100% completly different things ...how can you see the trigger being pulled when you cant even see the trigger when the weapon is pointed at you ...an its such a slight movement that when done your not going to know ... or hear at distances greater then 50+ ft away ...

I don't know who mentioned "reacting to the trigger being pulled" but that is one of the stupidest things I've heard. Always has been. If the trigger were silent or covered up, then what would a person react to? Nothing.

Anyways, that is not what people react to. People react to a gun being pointed at them. Everyone does, often with one of the two most common responses; hands high, or entire body twitch involving crouching into a ball with arms covering the head.

There are other reactions, such as getting low and returning fire ("hitting the deck" as it were). Either way, the distance a person can react to an attack ends up entirely in the hands of the GM. But if they are allowed a dodge, then they are clearly aware, or have some other sensory indicator stating that they are never suprised.

In this reguard we have different points of view on the distance a person is capable of reacting to an attacker.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Lenwen wrote:See now all that is fine and dandy with projectile based weaponry but the fact is we were and have been discussing lasers and thier style weaponry ... or have we switched subjects ?
Dog_O_War wrote:The laser is moving faster than your brain can comprehend at any distance, because it is hitting you the moment before you see it. This means that under no circumstances should reaction to light be "dodgeable".

100% agreeable ...

Seems the discussion was over after you agreed with me here.....
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

K20A2_S wrote:But canonly speaking, you add the bonuses of amplified hearing all the time right?

Canonly speaking, the +2 to dodge from Amplified Hearing apply to hth and energy blasts? or just hth?

Yes, you add the bonus all the time as there is no ruling stating that you lose this bonus in situation X.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dog_O_War wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:But canonly speaking, you add the bonuses of amplified hearing all the time right?

Canonly speaking, the +2 to dodge from Amplified Hearing apply to hth and energy blasts? or just hth?

Yes, you add the bonus all the time as there is no ruling stating that you lose this bonus in situation X.

Again I have always had amped hearing on characters as being on all the time .. an so I keep the bonas's on all the time as well ..

so I 100% agree with Dog_O_War again lol
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

What if you can't hear the attack?
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I'd say the laser thing is equally straight forward. Actually this hearing question is probably even more straight forward. If you can't hear it, you don't get a bonus that requires hearing be significant.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

K20A2_S wrote:
Natasha wrote:I'd say the laser thing is equally straight forward. Probably even more straight forward. If you can't hear it, you don't get a bonus that requires hearing be significant.

But what abuot the fact that with amplified hearing you can hear the person posistioning themselves to fire.............ect ect........the act of firing isn't just about pulling the trigger, there byproduct motions....

ok well lets address a few things in sourcebook one it clearly states what can and cant be heard pg 27 .

IF the person is already in a position to fire the weapon ... there is nuthing to do but to pull the trigger... meaning absolutly no bonas's to amped hearing what so ever and in 99% of the times only sixth sence will save your @$$ lol .

Then you have to worry about all the other machinery thats working around you ..
The Natural sounds of what ever that is also going off ...

The other 1% of the time the person might miss an therefore you would know which way the attack is coming an actually be scanning the area the shot came from as well as know with out question your under attack ...

just thought I would drop a few things out there for people to also take into consideration ..
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

K20A2_S wrote:
Natasha wrote:I'd say the laser thing is equally straight forward. Probably even more straight forward. If you can't hear it, you don't get a bonus that requires hearing be significant.

But what abuot the fact that with amplified hearing you can hear the person posistioning themselves to fire.............ect ect........the act of firing isn't just about pulling the trigger, there byproduct motions....

Right, the question was if you can't hear these things or don't understand that you're hearing these things. Perhaps you're in a low-light situation and you hear something but you just don't know what. Or perhaps you're in an environment where there are no sound waves. Perhaps you're somewhere extremely noisy so you can't really pick one thing out from another. When I was at the science center and I used the Bionic Ear to eavesdrop on people, if there was crowd I just heard really loud noise rather than individual voices.
Dog_O_War
Champion

You guys are making this more complicated than it is.

If you can't see your attacker then you don't get a dodge change anyways (unless you're a specific OCC that says they would).

Common sense would indicate that something negating hearing would also strip you of the bonus; but as the book does not offer such a ruling, you needn't apply it. As a DM I would negate the bonus, but only if I happened to remember such a minor detail.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

by the book, the bonuses are straight bonuses, regardless of situation. Apply as much logic as you want after that, but if I were to publish an NPC in a Rifter or something, Id add the bonuses in his base combat stats.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

K20A2_S wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:You guys are making this more complicated than it is.

If you can't see your attacker then you don't get a dodge change anyways (unless you're a specific OCC that says they would).

Common sense would indicate that something negating hearing would also strip you of the bonus; but as the book does not offer such a ruling, you needn't apply it. As a DM I would negate the bonus, but only if I happened to remember such a minor detail.

Very good point, you either get it all or none usually.......

Been saying this for days head of this post now ... :lol:
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

I see no difference in dodging bullets compared to beams of light. Be it the speed of sound or of light a regular person can't move that fast and if your playing a charectar that can move at the speed of sound I'd say the penalites shouldn't apply. If you wait for the click then you are assuredly dead. I'm not cliaming I can do this but there are people that can dodge bullets. They are able to look at a persons body facial features breathing etc to determine when he is about to fire. The founder of akido was famous for being able to do this.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

csbioborg wrote:I see no difference in dodging bullets compared to beams of light. Be it the speed of sound or of light a regular person can't move that fast and if your playing a charectar that can move at the speed of sound I'd say the penalites shouldn't apply. If you wait for the click then you are assuredly dead. I'm not cliaming I can do this but there are people that can dodge bullets. They are able to look at a persons body facial features breathing etc to determine when he is about to fire. The founder of akido was famous for being able to do this.

ok now that is sweet , I like reading stuff like that it makes me feel we truly dont know the upper limits of the human body yet .. :-D

Good Job csbioborg for real now you make me wanna go an check out the Akido founder :P
Dog_O_War
Champion

K20A2_S wrote:
Jmacq1 wrote:
And Amplified hearing? In effect all the time, for me. But they're still not dodging full-fledged surprise attacks.

That's how we're playing it, as full-fledged suprise attacks can only be dodged by OCC's who's descriptions say they can.

Here's the rub on that though; beyond everything I said earlier (either gets the bonus or he doesn't, no indication of "losing" it if deaf, etc...) amplified hearing changes the distance said character might be ambushed. Not all the time, and not in every situation, but three thugs waiting around a corner fondling weapons such as a vibro-chainsaw will alert this character ahead of people with "normal" hearing. I can't give you any ranges, or even what would "set off" the average character's 'spidey-sense' but this is something you should contemplate on how to work it.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.

Return to “Rifts®”