Macross Frontier

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MacrossManual
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MacrossManual »

Well, after a good sleep, the first episode of the new Macross Frontier series is still leaving a great after taste. That's always a good sign. Sometimes when one is so excited about a new anime, it's easy to forgive the faults and form a 5-seconds-after-watching reaction screaming "I love this show!" like you just fell in love :) But I'm really happy with this new series so far (damn, if THIS level of animation can be called a television series) and really eager to see where it goes.

I admit, I was quite skeptical about the bio-mechanoid alien enemy in Macross Frontier, but after seeing the first episode, I can't say I have too many reservations. The design of the big red enemy mecha is great and quite menacing. It also merges beautifully into a show like Macross, whereas prior to this episode I was concerned about the jarring effect of space monsters in my beloved Macross franchise (the last time it was attempted, it didn't go well for the franchise). I like the big energy cannon on the red mech and it's awkward way of walking. Quite cool.

The characters are interesting, if a little prototypical at first. Alto reminds me a lot of Hikaru; sure of himself, a good pilot and more than a little angry. Allusions to Roy Focker when considering the character of Ozuma are only natural, but just so, I'm not sensing much of a similar characterization as yet. Perhaps time will bring it out more or less. I really like the way Sheryl Nome is played so far; quite confident, somewhat arrogant and very together/professional. It's great to see a super star that acts like one for a change. We have enough bratty Britney's in real life and don't need more in Macross. Ranka, well, she's more fan service for the creepy loli crowd of anime. Not much to say, although she certainly seems pleasant enough and it's easy to get taken away by sweet, happy and cute characters. I'll give her this; Ranka is not nearly as annoying as Minmay or Mylene. She's much more likable, like Mao.

Considering the mecha of Macross, they are back...and with a vengeance! The designs are fantastic, the action is swift without being overbearing like Macross Zero and the CG work merges far better with the 2D drawn animation than I could have ever hoped.

The armored VF-25 is brilliant and the transformation of the new Valkyrie is perfectly smooth. It may be one of my favorite transformation systems ever. The VF-171 (great designation) is just awesome. My only complaint, as others have mentioned prior, is a lament for the obvious "cannon fodder" role the VF-171 must play. I just pray that this new fighter will be given some time to shine, like the VF-1 in the original series. That Radome equipped VF-171 just flat out rocks! :)

On the topic of CG work, I have to say there is a much improved competence and confidence in the visuals, something that was only acheived with Macross Zero in the last episode of the series. The scene compositions and the look of the CG work is amazing. There's more sense of weight and newtonian motion in both the aircraft/mecha and the large space ships. Some effects come across as generic, like the bland new space fold portal, but others like lighting and gun effects are almost retro in their style and visual appeal. The gun rounds flying toward their targets are simply amazing and very SDF Macross :)

Well, that's about all I have time for now. I'm glad I got a break to come online and post some thoughts. A Merry Christmas to everyone and enjoy the holidays! :)
Demonboy®
D-Bee

Unread post by Demonboy® »

Short of words, so I will go with:

Just sick! OMG!

:shock: :eek:
"I am the one hiding under your bed, Teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red. "

TELL KEV WE WANT NEW ROBOTECH BOOKS!
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

RAZON wrote:l'm watching the first episode right now... this series seems to be totally unrelated to shadow chronicles.. and is more like a continuation of macross in a totally diffirent time line.

Its not part of Robotech but part of the orginal Macross timeline.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

RAZON wrote:l'm watching the first episode right now... this series seems to be totally unrelated to shadow chronicles.. and is more like a continuation of macross in a totally diffirent time line.

Um..that's cuz it's MACROSS
y'know..the TRUE story..not the almalgam that the yanks made called Robotech...
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I'd love to see this reach the states! From what you are all saying is it kicks serious butt!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
MacrossManual
Dungeon Crawler

There's subs of episode one available now. You should really check it out Aramanthus. It's a lot of fun.
Demonboy®
D-Bee

Unread post by Demonboy® »

MacrossManual wrote:There's subs of episode one available now. You should really check it out Aramanthus. It's a lot of fun.

Yup, just run a search on veoh.com: Macross Frontier :)
"I am the one hiding under your bed, Teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red. "

Aramanthus
Monk

That was an awesome episode! I would love to see that here in the states!!!! Thank you for sharing the link!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Overall that anime looked pretty freaking great! I'd love to see more of it!

HH....FIE
MacrossManual
Dungeon Crawler

I knew you'd like it. The regular series starts in April. Make sure you keep your eyes open for new episodes.

RAZON
Macross Frontier is set in 2059, roughly 14 years after Macross 7 ended and 19 years after the events of Macross Plus. The appearance of the Zentradi match the character design of the 1984 film Macross: Do You Remember Love?, which has pretty much been the defacto production design for every Macross sequel that features historical links.
Last edited by MacrossManual on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aramanthus
Monk

I guess I know that I'll be interested in seeing that when it does come out. I wonder if it is connected with the Macros Plus? It'd be cool to see Isamu as some sort of senior officer.

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Aramanthus wrote:I guess I know that I'll be interested in seeing that when it does come out. I wonder if it is connected with the Macros Plus? It'd be cool to see Isamu as some sort of senior officer.

Who knows; by the looks of it they've linked the Aidoru (idol singer) with two of the characters who 'ascended' in Macross-Zero.

BTW; I'm sure my stats on the VF-25 are prolly WRONG, but hey, until the studio gives us MOAR info, it's the best I've come up with ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

MacrossManual
Dungeon Crawler

Well, the young pilots did perform Isamu's "flying hand" dance in homage to Macross Plus. Actually, the number of Macross homages in the first episode alone were staggering. I'm on my third viewing and I'm still counting a bunch more every time I watch :)
MacrossManual
Dungeon Crawler

More scans of the new mecha from Macross Frontier! Some new GERWALK and Battroid pictures of the VF-25 plus the Armored VF-25 Battroid and a really good quality picture of the VF-25 Super in fighter mode.

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%2 ... -feb-1.jpg

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%2 ... -feb-2.jpg

http://www.un-spacy-qmtdb.com/Macross%2 ... -feb-3.jpg

Enjoy! :-D
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice fighter! I like the VF-25! Thank you for the links!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I dunno...seems it recycles much of the Macross 7 storyline...colony fleet, mysterious new alien threat, idol singer, love triangle...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:I dunno...seems it recycles much of the Macross 7 storyline...colony fleet, mysterious new alien threat, idol singer, love triangle...

But really..isn't that the focus of MOST mecha animes?..well, the ones that don't deal with Emo-wimps with daddy issues and Oedipal complexes that is *shudders at Eva flashbacks*

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

DhAkael wrote:
taalismn wrote:I dunno...seems it recycles much of the Macross 7 storyline...colony fleet, mysterious new alien threat, idol singer, love triangle...

But really..isn't that the focus of MOST mecha animes?..well, the ones that don't deal with Emo-wimps with daddy issues and Oedipal complexes that is *shudders at Eva flashbacks*

Or raging nutcases practicing whacked-out kung-fu moves that shouldn't translate into mecha movements?
As for that latter case...that's why I prefer to hit Neon Genesis Evangelion with a very large hammer(or Super Dimensional Battlefortresses)...
But to be honest, Macross 7 was the 'serial spaceopera' of the series, while Macross Plus was the animators pushing the envelope(in the story and in the animation) because they COULD...Macross Frontiers seems to be trying to apply what they learned from M+, with more obvious CGI instead.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

It is an awesome looking show! I want that to make it here!

HH....FIE
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

I wonder if Palladium will try and pick up the license for it???
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
Aramanthus
Monk

That all depends on HG. Since they are the big bosses for Robotech!

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Re: Good Question...

Unread post by DhAkael »

MiniMissile Man wrote:
Jefram_denkar wrote:I wonder if Palladium will try and pick up the license for it???

Hard to say, a sperate deal with Macross Big West would be nice...Macross Zero, and Macross Frontier would be excellent additions to the Palladium line of products but there is risk in the idea. Placing yourself (ie Palladium Books) inbetween two disputing parties may not be the safest idea. Both could end up mad at you and then you would have no deal at all.

Exactly..this is why man created the Inter-webs ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

DhAkael wrote:But really..isn't that the focus of MOST mecha animes?..well, the ones that don't deal with Emo-wimps with daddy issues and Oedipal complexes that is *shudders at Eva flashbacks*

Other than the mysterious aliens, it doesn't really describe Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross or Genesis Climber Mospeada. Even the idol singer bit isn't completely there with those two, though I suppose Yellow Belmont could be considered one. While Southern Cross takes place on a colony world, its nothing like the colony fleets in either Macross 7 or Macross Frontier as the Glorie has already been terraformed.
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Macross Frontier showing up here??? Not likely to happen...
Arnie100
Knight

:D By the way, any of you actually listened to the end theme???
Aramanthus
Monk

It sounded ok to me. :D

HH....FIE
Arnie100
Knight

Aramanthus
Monk

Although with Minmei we have to play kill Minmei! :D

HH....FIE
Arnie100
Knight

:lol: Good one! Personally I'm hoping this series will help answer the mystery surrounding the disappearanace of the Megaroad 1 and her famous captain, Misa Hayase-Ichijyo and CAG, Hikaru Ichijyo and famous passenger Lynn Minmei!!!!!!! :D
Aramanthus
Monk

It would be nice if we finally had those answers!! :D

HH....FIE
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

So, has episode 2 come out yet? If not, when is it coming?
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

When is Macross-F #2 coming out? Are these available in japan on DVD yet?

-O
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Shawn Merrow

Omote wrote:When is Macross-F #2 coming out? Are these available in japan on DVD yet?

-O

The early airing of the first episode was a sneak peak. The series does not fully start till April.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm looking forward to seeing the second episode too! It was a great first episode.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Any word on the second episode? :? I need my robotech infusion peroidically! I'm going into withdrawl from lack of Robotech! :D

HH....FIE
Shawn Merrow

Aramanthus wrote:Any word on the second episode? :? I need my robotech infusion peroidically! I'm going into withdrawl from lack of Robotech! :D

As I said four posts above not till April.

Aramanthus
Monk

Opps I missed it! My bad! :shock: I see I'm blind too! :eek:

HH....FIE
Nimul
Wanderer

Unread post by Nimul »

Saw the first episode and looks quite interesting though I am really curious about these Vajra.

"Soon they will come to fear the name Khyron the Destroyer" - Khyron
"Everything is going as planned Masters" - Bioroid Terminator
"A terrible error has been made. We shall not be beaten!" - Regess
"Everything is going as the Awareness has forseen." - Haydonite
MacrossManual
Dungeon Crawler

Nimul wrote:Saw the first episode and looks quite interesting though I am really curious about these Vajra.

As are we all. The government also seems to have some kind of prior knowledge of these critters as well. It should be interesting to learn what happens next.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

When I watched Macross Frontier recently I was a bit surprised by the ejection-power armor units. I had been thinking similiar designs could exist in Macross2 (might apply to other incarnations) based on the drawings in the RPG's cockpit.
Aramanthus
Monk

It does make protective armor for pilots a must. I supposed that is part of the reason the CVR armor was developed for the Sentinels. It'd be interesting to see this armor from this new Robotech series explored and stated out officially.

HH....FIE
Nimul
Wanderer

Unread post by Nimul »

quote="MacrossManual"]As are we all. The government also seems to have some kind of prior knowledge of these critters as well. It should be interesting to learn what happens next.[/quote]

Well I read some discussions from various Macross fans and noted that the Vajra have the same spiral shaped symbol used by the Protoculture as well. So this could mean that Vajra might possibly be another Protoculture remnant.

If thats the case that perhaps the government found out through ancient protoculture ruins maybe? Not sure this fits though.. kind of a newbie in the Macrossverse but from what I understand it, the Protodevlin were responsible for their fall werent they?

ShadowLogan wrote:When I watched Macross Frontier recently I was a bit surprised by the ejection-power armor units. I had been thinking similiar designs could exist in Macross2 (might apply to other incarnations) based on the drawings in the RPG's cockpit.

That was cool, a bit futile in that fight but very cool. Allows for some interesting commando operations for fighter pilots when landing on enemy ships. I don't think its as heavily armed as a Cyclone from Robotech though but we are crossing universes there.

"Soon they will come to fear the name Khyron the Destroyer" - Khyron
"Everything is going as planned Masters" - Bioroid Terminator
"A terrible error has been made. We shall not be beaten!" - Regess
"Everything is going as the Awareness has forseen." - Haydonite
MacrossManual
Dungeon Crawler

Nimul wrote:
MacrossManual wrote:As are we all. The government also seems to have some kind of prior knowledge of these critters as well. It should be interesting to learn what happens next.

Well I read some discussions from various Macross fans and noted that the Vajra have the same spiral shaped symbol used by the Protoculture as well. So this could mean that Vajra might possibly be another Protoculture remnant.

If thats the case that perhaps the government found out through ancient protoculture ruins maybe? Not sure this fits though.. kind of a newbie in the Macrossverse but from what I understand it, the Protodevlin were responsible for their fall werent they?

There is plenty of discussion going around, but I'm not sure how much is accurate or not. I have seen everything Macross myself (SDF Macross, DYRL, Flashback 2012, Macross Plus, Macross 7/Dynamite 7/Encore, Macross Zero, Macross II and Macross Frontier), but I don't recall symbols exactly like the ones we see on the Vajra (red baddy). They could indeed be a Protoculture or even a Supervision Army remnant. It's hard to say for certain without more to go on.

Of course, it could also be that the UNG knows what these things are (or at least SOME within the UNG) and these critters may have a totally terrestrial origin. In which case the "alien" design of the Vajra and the Protoculture-like symbols adorning them could be deliberate misdirection on the part of whoever created them. An interesting possibility :)

Since the Protoculture ruins were destroyed, it's unlikely much more information was taken from them than what was gathered during the events of Macross 7. The Protodeviln were indeed responsible for the war with the Protoculture. However, I get the sense that Macross 7's ending has pretty much closed the door on the Protodeviln. They left the Milky Way Galaxy and seem to have been "domesticated" by the events in the final stage of the Protodeviln War with the UN Spacy Macross 7 Fleet. That, and it's very unlikely Kawamori would revisit the Protodeviln. He almost always goes in a new direction with each Macross production. Plus there's my own hope that the awfulness of Macross 7 will never again rear it's ugly head :)
Aramanthus
Monk

Cool! Thank you for sharing the link! :D

HH....FIE
MacrossManual
Dungeon Crawler

New Macross Frontier commercial. Not much new, but there's a really nice shot of the Full Armor Battroid doing it's Macross thang :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k6ZXVV7WAzQ

Enjoy :)
Aramanthus
Monk

Awesome preview! Thank you for sharing it! :D

HH....FIE
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

after youtubeing much of this show.
I give it an F for effort.
Pretty, but it could use some Laser Weapons....
Ammunition Driven weapons are just so last era.
Lazors are the Future.
Robotech uses Lasers... and it Rocks.

I do find the enemy being Alien Incects to be pretty interesting...
its a VERY well Animated show thou. I wish Shadow Chronicles was this well animated.... pretty bad when a TV show looks better then a made for Theaters MOVIE.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

So just because it uses projectiles (more realistic) than lasers (more futuristic) you don't like it?

*shrug* i guess we all have our own criteria to go by.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Jefffar wrote:So just because it uses projectiles (more realistic) than lasers (more futuristic) you don't like it?

the ships Transform via Magnetic fields... heck the Ships Transform, which is in and of its self Futuristic....
the Characters in the Show even complain their bullets and Missiles cant penetrate the enemy's Shields. you can pack tons more Energy in to a Partical-beam then you can in to a Kenetic-driven Bullet.
but yeah... it was mostly a joke, I dont like it because its better animated then shadow Chronicles....
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Jefffar wrote:So just because it uses projectiles (more realistic) than lasers (more futuristic) you don't like it?

I gotta agree with Wolfe. The animation is far better than that of Shadow Chronicles, but I found the storyline...eh...a tad bit like watching Macrosss 7. I did find it ironic that the new 'insectile' enemy rendered completely obselete the UN Spacy's 'stealth' variable fighter.

As for the slugthrowers, I'd hate to see how much reaction mass is wasted every day on one of those supply ships. You may think its 'realistic', but its absurd when you get right down to it since we know the UN Spacy had particle beam weapons since before Space War One. Its not that much of a technological leap for them to switch over, since they did get a boost from the influx of Zentraedi weapons. Then there is the VF-4 Lightning III to consider.

All in all, I have to give the animators praise. They did a much better job than those that worked on Shadow Chronicles. However, its a simple fact that the storyline was about as vapid as that of Shadow Chronicles.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”