Rifts Deep South?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Re: Rifts Deep South?

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Icemaster109 wrote:I have searched and couldnt find anything. Does anyone know what is supposed to be in this book?

mostly Canada, some stuff on the tundra rangers, a few extra rules for cold weather.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

rat_bastard wrote:
Icemaster109 wrote:I have searched and couldnt find anything. Does anyone know what is supposed to be in this book?

mostly Canada, some stuff on the tundra rangers, a few extra rules for cold weather.

Um....Canada is in the Deep South? Cold Weather? I dont think so.

Deep South was originally going to cover the Southern United States, which eventually became Dino Swamp and Adventures in Dino Swamp. In that aspect, your looking at lots of dinosaurs, a thousand different variants of the Wilderness Scout, barbarians that have a form of techno-wizardry, and special rules about being in a swampy environment.

that being said, Im fairly certian there are 2 more books that are "in the works" that will be in the region. Ive seen press releases for something about Voodoo, Delta Blues, and even the Dark Woods of Alabama. There is also a lot of info on the Deep South in Rifts: Aftermath.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Wow, someone actually took RB seriously... :P
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Kagashi wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

Deep South was originally going to cover the Southern United States, which eventually became Dino Swamp and Adventures in Dino Swamp. In that aspect, your looking at lots of dinosaurs, a thousand different variants of the Wilderness Scout, barbarians that have a form of techno-wizardry, and special rules about being in a swampy environment.

that being said, Im fairly certian there are 2 more books that are "in the works" that will be in the region. Ive seen press releases for something about Voodoo, Delta Blues, and even the Dark Woods of Alabama. There is also a lot of info on the Deep South in Rifts: Aftermath.

Incorrect, though only slightly.

Deep South was never intended to include Dinosaur Swamp. In fact, there were no plans for a Deep South book(s) until after Dinosaur Swamp was released.

The Deep South book(s) mentioned in the press releases are Delta Blues and Dark Woods. Voodoo and the Spirit World is a related sourcebook. All three were originally part of the massive Delta Blues manuscript.

<------- One of the authors.

:)

~ Josh
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Rat Bastard wrote:mostly Canada, some stuff on the tundra rangers, a few extra rules for cold weather.

I love you. hahaha
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

Pashaw. Like that means anything! Just because you wrote it you think you have authority to speak about the contents! :wink:

<------------ Doesn't know what he's talking about. :D
Insert 400 character limit here.
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

Deep South was never intended to include Dinosaur Swamp. In fact, there were no plans for a Deep South book(s) until after Dinosaur Swamp was released.

The Deep South book(s) mentioned in the press releases are Delta Blues and Dark Woods. Voodoo and the Spirit World is a related sourcebook. All three were originally part of the massive Delta Blues manuscript.

~ Josh

So how is the work progressing on that???
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
The Galactus Kid

As far as I know, the manuscripts are in and they are some of the ones sitting in the Palladium office waiting for editing and publication.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

The Galactus Kid wrote:As far as I know, the manuscripts are in and they are some of the ones sitting in the Palladium office waiting for editing and publication.

Yup.

All three were finished months ago.

~ Josh
The Galactus Kid

I thought so.

Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

Evil Psychologist wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:As far as I know, the manuscripts are in and they are some of the ones sitting in the Palladium office waiting for editing and publication.

Yup.

~ Josh

If you guys forgot to put in the inbreeding tables, I will be severely disappointed.

Incest, the game the whole family can play ;)
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Evil Psychologist wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

Yup.

~ Josh

If you guys forgot to put in the inbreeding tables, I will be severely disappointed.

After all, how else will you stat out the Sinsapaugh family tree? ;-)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Galactus Kid

duckfoot wrote:but, they are all based in the south of the us right? then what i the dif between dino swamp and deep south. why not just keep the two titles togather?

Dinoswamp is Florida, Georgia, Eastern Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Deep South talks about Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and bits of other regions. Its a totally different place than Dino-swamp. One thing to keep in mind is that the old U.S. states are used as reference for us as players. Not necessarily for the characters. The new mystic and geographical oddities are not restricted by the ancient arbitrarily assigned state lines of dead men.

duckfoot wrote:so with this inbreeding table ill finally be able to stat out galactus kid (and another cheap shot to the kidney)]

Keep talking, Ducky, and you'll never get to see Triax 2. :x

:lol:

The Galactus Kid

Me attacking me? That would be scary. I'd just give them all some bourbon and then we'd be best friends. I could send them to work for me and actually get some work done on Triax 2. lol.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
duckfoot wrote:but, they are all based in the south of the us right? then what i the dif between dino swamp and deep south. why not just keep the two titles togather?

Dinoswamp is Florida, Georgia, Eastern Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Deep South talks about Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and bits of other regions. Its a totally different place than Dino-swamp. One thing to keep in mind is that the old U.S. states are used as reference for us as players. Not necessarily for the characters. The new mystic and geographical oddities are not restricted by the ancient arbitrarily assigned state lines of dead men.

duckfoot wrote:so with this inbreeding table ill finally be able to stat out galactus kid (and another cheap shot to the kidney)]

Keep talking, Ducky, and you'll never get to see Triax 2. :x

:lol:

don't worry folks, taylor white can find someone else to be a lazy ass while he writes, Brandon's threats don't hold water...
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Josh Sinsapaugh

duck-foot wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

~ Josh

but, they are all based in the south of the us right? then what i the dif between dino swamp and deep south. why not just keep the two titles togather?

Because Dinosaur Swamp was never intended to include Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, eastern Texas, or southern Arkansas.

The DS books would've been HUGE if that were the case.

Also, as I noted previously, the first Dinosaur Swamp book was published well before Philpott even came up with the idea of doing material on Rifts Deep South.

~ Josh
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Because Dinosaur Swamp was never intended to include Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, eastern Texas, or southern Arkansas.

Exactly. The original Rifts book description of Dinosaur Swamp covered Georgia and Florida only. Technically, the Carolinas weren't part of the regional description. However, being from North Carolina, I asked Kev if I could include the Carolinas and he said to go ahead, and eastern Tennessee got thrown in because of the boundary with NC and the Appalachian Mountains.

There's also the issue of vernacular. In common usage, yes, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina are considered parts of the Deep South. However, that has little bearing on the title "Deep South" in regards to a Rifts source book.

Just like how Louisiana isn't part of Dinosaur Swamp, Georgia isn't part of the Rifts Deep South.
The Galactus Kid

I'm sure that they will be in a supplimental Rifter article. hahaha

Defender_X
Explorer

Unread post by Defender_X »

I don't have dinosaur swamp, but for curiosity's sake, how far into east TN does it go?
I get that many attacks with my beam cannons?!
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Where are those books in the printing schedule?
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

I wonder would the ruins of nashville have tribes of people or D-bees that use song magic or some type of musical instrument magic. Or little kingdoms with some type of sound technology.
Josh Sinsapaugh

abtex wrote:

Where are those books in the printing schedule?

It really all depends on how the current (tentative) schedule plays out:

Robotech® The Macross Saga™ Sourcebook – September (on schedule)
Robotech® The Masters Saga™ Sourcebook – October (on schedule)
The Rifter® #44 – Monster Extravaganza – October (on schedule)
Dead Reign™ (Zombie) RPG – October (on schedule)
Rifts® Dimension Book™ 11: Dyval™, Hell Unleashed (Minion War™) – Fall
Rifts® Dimension Book™ 12: Dimensional Outbreak™ (Minion War™) – Fall
Rifts® Heroes of the Megaverse® (Minion War™) – Fall
Heroes Unlimited™/Rifts®: Armageddon Unlimited™ (Minion War™) – Fall or Winter
Mysteries of Magic™ – Fall or Winter
Nightbane® sourcebook – Fall or Winter
Rifts® Megaverse® in Flames™ – Winter

In any case, not in 2008.

~ Josh
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

What info would be included in Northern Louisiana?

Does the manuscript mention the Vallax Aliens, Barksdale AFB, or Cyber-Command?
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

Chad wrote:What info would be included in Northern Louisiana?

Does the manuscript mention the Vallax Aliens, Barksdale AFB, or Cyber-Command?

No.

<----------- The OTHER (cooler) author. :D
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Klansmen in Mega-damage robes, TW Cotton Gins, stuff like that...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Inbreeding, Cotton Gins, KKK-

Stereotypical crap!
Enough with the Southern jokes. I live in Louisiana, butt-monkeys. :P
Library Ogre

Chad wrote:Inbreeding, Cotton Gins, KKK-

Stereotypical crap!
Enough with the Southern jokes. I live in Louisiana, ****-monkeys. :P

Ah, Louisiana. A third-world nation brought here, just for us to appreciate. ;-)

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Applachian hoodui magic still practiced today in the OZarks

The Sons of the COnfederacy prepared to rise up again so they were prepared for the Cataclysm

A lost battalion of confederate troops rifted in through time and space to rifts earth

Stonewall Jackons sword America's exaclibur

Deep tradtions of military serive brought back to fight the dbee federals

that's all I want
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Mark Hall wrote:

Stereotypical crap!

Ah, Louisiana. A third-world nation brought here, just for us to appreciate. ;-)

I have you know we lead the nation in illereteracy. :ok:
Library Ogre

Chad wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Stereotypical crap!

You know why there's a Louisiana, right?

So Mississippi will have someone to make fun of.

All Palladium Articles
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Mark Hall wrote:
Chad wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:Ah, Louisiana. A third-world nation brought here, just for us to appreciate. ;-)

You know why there's a Louisiana, right?

I thought it was to keep Texan minds' occupied, 'What te hell?!?'

We also lead the nation in violent crimes. :ok:
Library Ogre

Chad wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:You know why there's a Louisiana, right?

I thought it was to keep Texan minds' occupied, 'What te hell?!?'

Ahh, yes, the joy of a Louisiana wedding.

All Palladium Articles
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Mark Hall wrote:
Chad wrote:I thought it was to keep Texan minds' occupied, 'What te hell?!?'

Wedding??? Wedding. Oh, yeah- Wedding.
That's when you shack up with a girl;
get married 'cause her father is pointing a shotgun at your head;
drink a 6-pack and punch somebody in the face;
then take a 10 min. drive down I-20 to honeymoon in a Casino.
I've been to a couple of those.

We also lead the nation in crack. :ok:
Library Ogre

Chad wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
Chad wrote:I thought it was to keep Texan minds' occupied, 'What te hell?!?'

Both due to inadequate pants and due to inadequate policing!

All Palladium Articles
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

I taght Missipi was to kep us Tex'ns occ u pied. :-P :lol:
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Mark Hall wrote:
Chad wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:Ahh, yes, the joy of a Louisiana wedding.

Both due to inadequate pants and due to inadequate policing!

I think you mean inadequate government policies,
I am a policeman.
But I agree on the pants.

We also lead the nation in the 'number' of parishes. :ok:
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Because you have more sins to be forgiven for?
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Louisiana is the only State in the Union that has a Parish instead of a County.

It's also the only State I've ever seen where it is 100% legal to park your car in the middle of the freakin road. :ok:
Library Ogre

Chad wrote:I think you mean inadequate government policies,
I am a policeman.

True, but that wouldn't have scanned as well.

All Palladium Articles
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Mark Hall wrote:
Chad wrote:I think you mean inadequate government policies,
I am a policeman.

True, but that wouldn't have scanned as well.

That's alright. Neither do our food stamps half the time.

We also lead the nation in having the most influence from the French. :puke: <Ahem, uhh> :ok:
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

ya I don't know how much of LA is oging to be left by the time of the Catclysm unless some serious money goes to building better levies the stroms are only going to get worse which means LA might be the best place for prerift artifacts
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Josh Sinsapaugh

I know most of ya'll are only joking, yet I've decided to address the negative Southern stereotype concern (or joking half-concern) anyways: there will be no inbreeding tables, no mention of the Klan, or anyother blatant, and usually offensive stereotype or cliche that usually comes when talking about southern Arkansas, east Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, or the great State of Louisiana.

Thinking back on the manuscript, as I don't have it in front of me, the only cliches (if one can call them that) that we incorporated are those that are spawned from the environment and ecosystem of the Deep South. What do I mean by this? Well, it means that certain things, old and new, that find the environments of those five states to be conducive to their existence have been highlighted. So, for Delta Blues, for instance, this means a lot of swamp/marsh dwelling alien animals and monsters. As far as I am concerned, this only makes sense, as when a bunch of creatures come blundering through a Rift, it is those that are most accustomed to the new environment on "our" side of the Rift (or that are most willing to adapt) that will thrive - the others will either eke out a subsistence niche, move on to greener pastures (or whatever their cup of tea might be), or simply: die.

Oh, and it also means Mosquitoes. A lot of mosquitoes. I mean more mosquitoes than you can swing a stick at.

...and some damn big ones too. :demon:

Cheers,
Josh Sinsapaugh
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Maybe some whiney "vampires", too...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Vampires will not survive long in a place where it rains about daily and running water frequently covers the land.
csbioborg
Champion

Lousiana is also the only state that runs off a legal system based off the French's that by itself makes you wonder what's in the water thier

I take my juriprudence common law like a real american
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

csbioborg wrote:ya I don't know how much of LA is oging to be left by the time of the Catclysm unless some serious money goes to building better levies the stroms are only going to get worse which means LA might be the best place for prerift artifacts

That's what I was saying.
Cyber Command is opening a section in N. LA, the Vallax crash landed in LA, and Barksdale AFB (SAC) is in Bossier.

It makes since NEMA would have had some type of strategic or invested interest. The coastline starts in Alexandria (I think) plus it's what- 70 miles from Barksdale to Ft. El Dorado.

Just don't want the typical stuff. Cajuns. Crawfish. Rifts Mardi Gras. <sigh>
Library Ogre

csbioborg wrote:ya I don't know how much of LA is oging to be left by the time of the Catclysm unless some serious money goes to building better levies the stroms are only going to get worse which means LA might be the best place for prerift artifacts

Louisiana is more than New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

All Palladium Articles
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Mark Hall wrote:

Louisiana is more than New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

No more than the whole of the south is dressed in gray, whistling, and looking away. Cause history, culture and development stopped in 1865 for all lands south of the Mason-Dixon, and post-apoc situations must accentuate this fact with Springfield ion muskets and lasyonets at the double-quick.

Ok..wait...that's on the cusp of cool.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

AlanGunhouse wrote:Vampires will not survive long in a place where it rains about daily and running water frequently covers the land.

Which is why it makes no sense for vampires to be harmed by such things, since it rains quite a bit in places where most vampire legends come from...

Rex
Wanderer
Comment: I'm back, I guess

Unread post by Rex »

Just by my friendship with Jack, I am honor bound to at least leaf thru the book. And yes, prolly buy it. If only to get it autographed.
Rex, you are one helluva guy.
-Geronimo
never trust a man's post count... that's only an indication of his ability to write a lot of stuff - Svartalf
GP:5D6+502

Return to “Rifts®”