"Updated to be compatible with RUE"

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

"Updated to be compatible with RUE"

Unread post by bathawk »

Hey all, been seeing the above on press releases for reprinted Rifts books, and wondering if I should be grinding my teeth

Now unlike the evil 4th edition a certain company is cranking out for a certain game system. RUE only tweaked a couple of things from the old regular edition

but it's that word "updated". I really don't want to fee like my near-complete colelction of books is "outdated" So can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? I understand maybe how secondary skills are presneted, but other than that? Maybe a FAQ is in order?
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Kevin wrote:
Anthar wrote:In the latest press release it states that:

"Other titles that have been “updated” for
100% compatibility with Rifts® Ultimate Edition
Rifts® Sourcebook One, Revised and Expanded
Rifts® Sourcebook Three: Mindwerks™
Rifts® World Book 11: Coalition War Campaign™
Rifts® World Book 22: Free Quebec™
Coming: Rifts® Dimension Book 8: Naruni™ Wave Two
Coming: Coalition Wars® 4: Cyber-Knights™
Coming: Rifts® World Book 24: Rifts® China One "

What's the deal with this, do I need to buy these again and is it different from the titles that I own already? Maybe it's just that I'm tired, but my brain is asking "huh, what? Need mor input."

Hey Everybody,

No, you don't have to buy these again. Palladium Books doesn't play those 2nd, 3rd, 3.2, 3.5, 4th Editon, etc. games.

In all cases, the changes being made are very minor and consistent with new Rifts books released after Rifts Ultimate Edition. Most changes are in the stat blocks for O.C.C.s, R.C.C.s, and NPCs/monsters.

- The number of attacks per melee are generally increased by two.

- Secondary Skills are changed to reflect the selection of skills on page 300 of RUE (instead of from "the previous list, above").

- Changes to the number of spells that can be cast (since spell casting was made faster in RUE, as requested by players & G.M.s).

- Typeos we've noticed have been corrected.

- Old ads (if any) are replaced with new ones.

- Other odds and ends, like "Roll with punch, fall or impact" which is now just "roll with impact," the skill name "Read Sensory Equipment" is just "Sensory Equipment," and similar are changed.

That's pretty much it. Sometimes that's very few changes, sometimes it's a fair number of small changes. We're updating all books to RUE as they go into reprint to avoid confusion and for continuity.

I had Wayne include the list in the last press release, because a handful of people have requested that list privately, and I thought it would be helpful to some people. Some of the books in the list (Coalition War Campaign, New West, and others) have been quietly updated for a year or more already. It's no big deal. Just trying to help.

Hope this clears up this question. Gotta run. I've been working on Dyval and Robotech simultaneously and need to get back to 'em.

Keep those imaginations burning bright.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher, Writer, Artist and Helpful Guy

this comes up frequently, Kevin really does not want to outdate your books, he's the more words for your buck guy.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

The "Updated" books have been changed to reflect the minor changes that RUE has in it. Your old books are perfectly usable as is...the new ones just don't require that you take the new RUE rules into account. They do it for you.
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

Any idea if these "updates" might make it into some errata?

I realize that might be a lot to ask for...
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Defender_X
Explorer

Unread post by Defender_X »

Surprisingly, depending on the book determines how much needs to be updated. For example, the NGR military occs surprisingly need very little adjustments to get them updated RUE standard. Add military etiquette and remember the secondary skill list from RUE and bam!!
I get that many attacks with my beam cannons?!
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Personally, I wish they were no kidding revised books.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles

Return to “Rifts®”