here it is...the MDC rule

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

shadrak
Champion

here it is...the MDC rule

Unread post by shadrak »

Straight out of the old FAQ on the main website.

My question deals with physical skills. I know that the SDC bonus only counts towards SDC beings, but what if the MDC being was trained in a place with MDC workout materials? What if a MDC being goes to Atlantis and trains in a MDC equivalent of a Bally's or something, would the SDC bonus count towards MDC beings as a MDC bonus then? I mean there has got to be places that MDC beings can workout too, most of Rifts Earth has MDC beings on it.
Answer: This would be an option for the individual GM. The standard rule though is that M.D.C. being do not gain M.D.C. bonuses from physical skills. They do though gain the other bonuses from physical skills
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Hence my rule:

Yes, for mortal MDC creatures, and case by case for Supernatural Creatures and Creatures of Magic
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Old FAQ is no more offical or final than the new faq.

You can just as easily cite everything I say in that manner :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Oh, but it is, it goes to the original intent of the authors...in fact, until there is an explicit change to the system in canon material, we can assume that they are still correct.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

shadrak wrote:Oh, but it is, it goes to the original intent of the authors...in fact, until there is an explicit change to the system in canon material, we can assume that they are still correct.

Uh, no, it seems to be a sadly common misconception. The old faq was not written by palladium employees at all.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
shadrak wrote:Oh, but it is, it goes to the original intent of the authors...in fact, until there is an explicit change to the system in canon material, we can assume that they are still correct.

Uh, no, it seems to be a sadly common misconception. The old faq was not written by palladium employees at all.

It was written by a couple of volunteers, who were often wrong.

But it was also official.
Unless I see canon reason NOT to accept the old FAQ, I usually go with what it says.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

It was written by a couple of volunteers, who were often wrong.

But it was also official.
Unless I see canon reason NOT to accept the old FAQ, I usually go with what it says.

I have to go with KC on this one. The old FAQ was run mostly by Rodney Stott. And though he had the occasional odd or off answer, 85% of the time he was on it.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Hmm Interesting line of thought going on here. I remember Rodney's old site. It's a shame it's gone.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

...as opposed to the Madhaven question and comment thread which IS IN FACT checked and replied to by the authors or those closely involved with the project (aka Dark Brandon)
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Quester wrote:
darkmax wrote:if it was always wrong, why call it FAQ? WAQ would be more suitable.

FAQ-Frequently Asked Questions.

That says nothing about answered correctly :lol:

That would be FWA-Frequent Wrong Answers

Or it could've been Wrongly Answered Questions.

I wonder if Kev would appoint one of the MAs as an 'official' authority that could answer questions, which would be accepted as canon unless otherwise rejected by Palladium staff.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

the fact that it is still on the main page of palladium's website, when they could erase the entire thing, or at least edit it, gives it implicit support from palladium.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

shadrak wrote:the fact that it is still on the main page of palladium's website, when they could erase the entire thing, or at least edit it, gives it implicit support from palladium.

actually, it was said they're leaving it up as a reference as suggestions. It was never offical, so the fact it's still up cannot be interpreted as "continuing" officaldom.

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

then they should post a disclaimer
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

shadrak wrote:then they should post a disclaimer

They SHOULD post one on the current one.

But Palladium dosn't seem to get most people just assme a FAQ is offical.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

argos wrote:actually, it was said they're leaving it up as a reference as suggestions. It was never offical, so the fact it's still up cannot be interpreted as "continuing" officaldom.

so i stole what nekira said but she said what i was thinking and did it so well. . . . i just wanted some recognition

IIRC, the original FAQ was official.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

actually, it was said they're leaving it up as a reference as suggestions. It was never offical, so the fact it's still up cannot be interpreted as "continuing" officaldom.

It was never specifically noted as unofficial...look at the rifter...each issue has a disclaimer..."these are optional rules".

Of course, the material from Dino Swamp and Arzno is annotated as official...

It's not that hard to put a disclaimer up.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

shadrak wrote:

It was never specifically noted as unofficial...look at the rifter...each issue has a disclaimer..."these are optional rules".

Of course, the material from Dino Swamp and Arzno is annotated as official...

It's not that hard to put a disclaimer up.

So palladium's a bit on the lazy side, so?

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:
argos wrote:actually, it was said they're leaving it up as a reference as suggestions. It was never offical, so the fact it's still up cannot be interpreted as "continuing" officaldom.

so i stole what nekira said but she said what i was thinking and did it so well. . . . i just wanted some recognition

Then you do not RC ;)

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Then you do not RC ;)

It's hard to prove one way or the other now, but I remember it being the topic of several discussions that the FAQ was "official", but usually wrong and not written by the writers of the books.

grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

When was the FAQ written?
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

The old FAQ has almost been around since Palladium first went online.
That which does not kill me . . . had better do enough damage to keep me from firing back!

Return to “Rifts®”