Murmurs Between Shows

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Murmurs Between Shows

Unread post by Kevin »

Hey Everybody,

The ACD Games Day felt more like drive, drive, sleep, talk to people and drive some more, than an event.

The trade show was well organized and worthwhile. Wayne and I spoke to about a hundred retailers and hope we answered everyone’s questions. We made a few new contacts and got some helpful info from some industry buddies. All in all the show was definitely worth doing.

There was a cocktail hour after the show and a dinner (I think just for retailers) but Wayne and I were too beat to attend either one. It had been pretty hectic before we left for ACD Games Days and the long drive (not terrible, but long, about 7 hours) and then being all smiles and chatty at the trade show wears you out. Consequently, we passed on drinks and socializing to grab some chow (yummy pizza at a place called Old Chicago) and then crash.

Our pals Dan and Tina Kurtycz let us stay at their extra-house which was much more comfortable and relaxing than a hotel room – not to mention no cost. Thanks Dan, Tina, it was greatly appreciated!

Wednesday night, we eat some good Italian food and hung out with our friend, Teresa Mead, who drove in just to visit. It was a nice, quiet evening with friends. Thursday, to talk with industry friends, so we did get in our share of socializing.

Thursday night, Wayne and I watched the last two episodes of Firefly, some behinds the scenes stuff and hit the sack around 11:30 pm.

Friday, we packed up and hit the road. We had planned to stay for the ACD Warehouse Sale (it’s always fun to see other people’s facilities), but another medical consideration back home prompted us to skip it and get back home. What’s with folks getting sick or hurt when we go to a convention/trade show lately? Sheesh. Hopefully, this is the last of it.

We left around 8:40 am, stopped for a delicious meal halfway home and got in around 6:15 pm.

Of course, I had to pack the display books for the Alliance Retailer Summit (Monday), take care of a couple other things and rush out to make a 7:30 meeting!

We fly out on Monday, 9/11, to the Alliance/Diamond Retailer Summit. Not thrilled about travelling on that imfamous date, but what the heck. I'm sure we'll be fine.

Work/Office Pit Stop – Saturday, Sept. 9, 2006 – Between Shows

I got in the office today at 7:30 am. Paid a bunch of bills, checked and responded to the last three days of e-mails and correspondences (we didn’t have internet access while gone), took care of a couple business matters, discussed some things with Alex, ran a few errands, and now I’m writing a Murmur. It’s 5:15 pm and I haven’t gotten half the stuff I wanted to get done, accomplished. There just never seems to be enough hours in the darn day.

The Become a Palladium Character Contest

So far, around 180 people have bought prints and dream of seeing their name become an official Palladium Books character.

I’ve contacted Palladium’s attorney to look into whether or not we are violating any State or Federal laws. You Know brought this to our attention with an online post. We’re hoping since the “prize” has no real monetary value, that we’ll be okay. (Yes, we know to you guys and gals it’s priceless, but it’s not like anyone is winning an automobile or such). Don’t know. I will speak to our legal advisors on Wednesday or Thursday when I get back. I’m sure we’ll be able to keep this awesome opportunity going one way or another

As to the question of why didn’t anyone think of this before launching the sale of the prints? Please cut us some slack, guys. Palladium’s down to six full time staff members and a couple volunteer interns (not including our freelance writers and artists). We’re still struggling to keep Palladium afloat and dealing with a thousand things.

In short, we are overworked, stressed, and fatigued. Heck, half the time I’m lucky if I remember what day it is! We’re hanging in there, but it hasn’t been easy. My accountant says I’m a miracle worker, but even us miracle workers fumble the ball sometimes. In fact, just a few Murmurs back, I was lamenting how, on one hand Palladium is doing so much better, but on the other hand we have a long way to go and we are dropping some of the balls we are juggling; things are falling through the cracks. This lottery question is an example of something that slipped through the cracks. We’ll take care of it and move forward. Like I said, I think we are okay with it.

We are all (me, the great Palladium staffers, freelancers, investors, observers and friends) feeling more and more positive about Palladium’s future. We have a ton of great products in development and fun ideas in the works that we think you will LOVE.

HOWEVER, it is hard work under difficult circumstances. I have never pretended otherwise, nor blown sunshine up your shorts. We’re doing the best we can and feeling good about what we’ve accomplished (with your help) and where Palladium seems to be going (thanks to you, our fans).

Keep the faith and those imaginations burning bright.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher, Writer, Traveler and Busy Fella
Sept. 9, 2006

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”