TW Modifications to Cyber-Armor...possible or not?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Quite possible...

Check the Momano Headhunter for ideas, as well as Dark Technowizardry in the Rifter.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

it might require studding your body with gems and old circuit boards.... :rolleyes:
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Semisonic9 wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:it might require studding your body with gems and old circuit boards.... :rolleyes:

Bah...they've already fused armor plates to their torso, shoulders, arms and thighs. I think they may be a bit beyond quibbling over addning some shiny rocks, and, hey, some might consider it fashionable...

*starts a trend of Cyber-Knights wearing "bling"*

dont forget the robot horses with hydralics and spinning hooves.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

Momano Headhunter is in Rifts: Canada, bout the middle of the book (possibly pg. 100, not totally sure).

As for the cyber-armor, I'd probably say it's possible, but only BEFORE it's grafted to the Cyber Knight. Once grafted, then it could not be enhanced. Besides, why deal with the Cyber Armor anyways? What is it you (or someone else) are thinking?
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

ApocalypseZero wrote:Momano Headhunter is in Rifts: Canada, bout the middle of the book (possibly pg. 100, not totally sure).

As for the cyber-armor, I'd probably say it's possible, but only BEFORE it's grafted to the Cyber Knight. Once grafted, then it could not be enhanced. Besides, why deal with the Cyber Armor anyways? What is it you (or someone else) are thinking?

agreed only before.

I would put on an armor of ithan spell to make the armor that much more protective.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I'd count it as equivbalent to bionic enhancement....count each different TW enhancement as a seperate cybernetic option towards reaching the limit, at which point the CyberKnight has to make the decision if he's going to become a TW Cyborg.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I have to say yes, personally. Ever sinse the main book and sourcebook one there have been exsamples of having magical bionics.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I have to say yes, personally. Ever sinse the main book and sourcebook one there have been exsamples of having magical bionics.

But not of TW Enhanced bionic armor.
The TW bionic weapons in the main book are just TW versions of the tech versions.
A TK Machinegun instead of a normal machinegun.
For the most part, the difference is the power source, not the effect.

Since Cyber Armor isn't powered, this wouldn't make a difference.

Personally, I probably wouldn't allow the cyber-armor to have TW enchantments.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:I have to say yes, personally. Ever sinse the main book and sourcebook one there have been exsamples of having magical bionics.

The TW bionic weapons in the main book are just TW versions of the tech versions.

how about for sections of cyber knight armor to be made into amulets and talismens?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

rat_bastard wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

how about for sections of cyber knight armor to be made into amulets and talismens?

I would rule that once a cybernetic component is implanted into the person, it effectively becomes part of that person.
So no enchantments would function unless they could be applied to a part of a living being.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

shadrak wrote:Quite possible...

Check the Momano Headhunter for ideas, as well as Dark Technowizardry in the Rifter.

what rifter is dark techno-wizardry in?
Toc Rat
Hero

Re: TW Modifications to Cyber-Armor...possible or not?

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Semisonic9 wrote:I'm talking about the Cyber-Knight Cyber-Armor.

Thoughts?

All things are possible
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

personally I don't think cyber knight cyber armor can accept techno wizard mods any more than a bio-wizard heart can. But normal cyber armor seems like it couldaccept something if the TW worked on it before it was attached.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Ninjabunny wrote:
Sir Ysbadden wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
Sir Ysbadden wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:Well if its armor of Ithan and it's put on to the Armor then grafted to the knight. Then when he hits level four it comes to life (in a manner of speaking) maybe the Armor of Ithan would become a at will thing?

Or always active :mrgreen:

Now thats an ideal worth sending into the rifter!

Hmmm i havnt thought about it untill now maybe i'll write it up and send it in.

:D :D once again my work here is done :D :D
I think that it should cause the CK to lose a perment 5 ppoints of P.P.E it would be a balance to always on fact or would it?

:nh:

No, that wouldn't balance it.

atkindave
Explorer

Unread post by atkindave »

Uhh, spell costs 10 PPE per original rules right? (is stating that against the rules? If so, inform me and I will edit. Or you can edit and send me a nastygram) I don't have RUE yet, so if it's changed there then use that number.

So permanent AoI should cost permanent 10 PPE. It'll recharge once a day. (more times a day costs in multiples of 10, permanently). It'll protect in MDC as normal per the level of the cyberknight.

There you go. Its balanced because it's convenient, but you'd rather have just the spell if you could cast it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Ninjabunny wrote:Your right 5 P.P.E would not be a balancer. Yet there has to be something that make the Prement Armor of Ithan fair and balanced.

Or just don't give him munchy toys in the first place.

Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

finn69 wrote:
shadrak wrote:Quite possible...

what rifter is dark techno-wizardry in?

I'd like to know that one too (need to get it before my players do ;) ).
That which does not kill me . . . had better do enough damage to keep me from firing back!
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Or just don't give him munchy toys in the first place.

Agreed

Personally, I would have rather had the CK's have some form of Chi-Gung from Japan rather than the cyber armor, but I also dislike the whole anti-tech part of the OCC (not that I disagree with it, I just think it makes CK's rules heavy)
atkindave
Explorer

Unread post by atkindave »

Sir Ysbadden wrote:
The thing is that that would work if it still had to be activated but since it would be always active that 10 ppe doesn't even come close to balancing it. It is a start though.

Permanent PPE drain. If it has to be activated, just put the standard TW gizmo on there and activate it normally. Limited only by your PPE (or ISP). Permanence carries it's own drawback, that it will be dispelled in combat and not be available again until X time has elapsed. If always on is the problem, the answer is another question: how often does the spell actually run out before it's MDC is gone? The combat will be long over by this time, unless it's some wierd marathon situation.

OTOH, KC does point out the munchiness of the whole scenario. Can CK's learn spells too?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The closest thing in canon would be the Mind Block Auto-Defense, which costs a permanent 14 ISP vs. the normal temporary cost of 4 ISP for normal Mind Block.

Using that as a template, IF you for some reason wanted to make a munchy ability like a permanent spell of this sort, then you could use this same ratio.
3.5x the normal cost if you want it as a permanent power.
In the case of Armor of Ithan, that would be a permanent loss of 35 PPE.
Which might actually be close to a good balancing factor.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Ninjabunny wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:The closest thing in canon would be the Mind Block Auto-Defense, which costs a permanent 14 ISP vs. the normal temporary cost of 4 ISP for normal Mind Block.

Using that as a template, IF you for some reason wanted to make a munchy ability like a permanet spell of this sort, then you could use this same ratio.

:ok: Right on KC :ok:

Well, CKs only get 6d6 PPE in the first place, so most of them couldn't actually use such a device.
Which means that once that armor comes to life, they'd probably just lose all of their PPE for no gain.

Other spells, like Climb, Chameleon, Detect Concealment, Fear, Levitation, Turn Dead, Breathe Without Air, Impervious to Fire, Impervious to Poison, Invisibility: Simple, or Swim As Fish might be more accessable.

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Originally, I thought this was about cyber armor in general
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Survivability for a cyberknight? They are pretty survivable already.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:The closest thing in canon would be the Mind Block Auto-Defense, which costs a permanent 14 ISP vs. the normal temporary cost of 4 ISP for normal Mind Block.

Using that as a template, IF you for some reason wanted to make a munchy ability like a permanet spell of this sort, then you could use this same ratio.

Well, CKs only get 6d6 PPE in the first place, so most of them couldn't actually use such a device.
Which means that once that armor comes to life, they'd probably just lose all of their PPE for no gain.

Other spells, like Climb, Chameleon, Detect Concealment, Fear, Levitation, Turn Dead, Breathe Without Air, Impervious to Fire, Impervious to Poison, Invisibility: Simple, or Swim As Fish might be more accessable.

if only there was a second way to power tw items, somthing like intergal spendy points, or intestenal spleen power-units or inner strength points....
Killer Cyborg
Priest

rat_bastard wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:

if only there was a second way to power tw items, somthing like intergal spendy points, or intestenal spleen power-units or inner strength points....

Hey, if a CK has 70 ISP he wants to permantly lose, more power to him.

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

If you reeeaaaalllllyyy want to get that muchy, make it a modified bio-borg system, powered by eylor or zemback. Personally, I don't think CK's need a power boost...they are probably the most individually powerful combat OCC in North America--definately in the Main Book.

Honestly, what is wrong with a little standard armor? Cyber armor is a back up anyway...you want to get super-munchy, give them mystic kuzna armor or armor from conversion book 2 (Hecate's knock off armor). It is just as reasonable as TW modifications to Cyber armor, perhaps moreso.
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

What, no True Atlantean Cyber-Knight with 6 Tattoos, is a Master Pychic, and has TW Cyber-Armor underneath TW Cyber-Knight Heavy Plate Armor?

This is a viable possiblity, for those who didn't know.

As much as the idea of TW Cyber-Armor is, it's not really plausible for it to be something 'high level'. Perhaps using it as an 'Espionage Armor' would do well. Giving it Chameleon or Cloak of Shadows, or maybe even Invisible: Simple or Shadow Meld. Sometimes the best item is not one used for Offense or Defense, but for a different purpose all together. I had one player want a TW Lint Brush that casted Cleanse. Bring a whole new dimension to the character.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

ApocalypseZero wrote:What, no True Atlantean Cyber-Knight with 6 Tattoos, is a Master Pychic, and has TW Cyber-Armor underneath TW Cyber-Knight Heavy Plate Armor?

minus the tw mods to the cyber armor, that is exactly the setup a player in my group has.. guy can be a real pain in the ass whenever somthing is not going his way.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Semisonic9 wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
ApocalypseZero wrote:What, no True Atlantean Cyber-Knight with 6 Tattoos, is a Master Pychic, and has TW Cyber-Armor underneath TW Cyber-Knight Heavy Plate Armor?

minus the tw mods to the cyber armor, that is exactly the setup a player in my group has.. guy can be a real pain in the ass whenever somthing is not going his way.

Threaten him with an extra Tattoo.

hehehehe

the problem is in game he is suposed to be teaching me how to be a proper cyber knight... he has not been a proper cyber knight in five sessions last session he stabed an unarmored man in the back of the head with his psi-sword. the guy was trying to arm a bomb, but there where a dozen better ways to handle the situation.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Semisonic9 wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Semisonic9 wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

hehehehe

the problem is in game he is suposed to be teaching me how to be a proper cyber knight... he has not been a proper cyber knight in five sessions last session he stabed an unarmored man in the back of the head with his psi-sword. the guy was trying to arm a bomb, but there where a dozen better ways to handle the situation.

Yeah, I've read your synopsis of the games, very cool. Generally well-written, in an approachable style, too, btw.

PS- Not to touch off what sounds like an old dispute, but I WOULD say that that opponent had a weapon equal to the Psi-sword in that case...

I'm not saying he had to sit there with his hands in his pockets, but he had all sorts of things he could have done, he could have punched, pinned, smacked him with a lead pipe, threatend him, poked him in the back with a gun, cut a limb, tapped him on the shoulder with the psi blade or used his supernatural strength to pick him up and toss him. Instead he stabbed him in the back of the head....
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Semisonic9 wrote:Well...it WAS efficient!

But yeah, I'd have probably thrown negative XP at him from what's described. Technicly the Code does say "never strike from behind". While not always practical, it is part of "the Code".

I can almost understand the "oh **** hes got a bomb and he's trying to blow up my house and he may have killed some of my family memeberts I better stab him now!" attitude, if he had not fought so hard not to have the dweomer defence force find out what we knew. Being a cyber knight is all about justice not revenge.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Sir Ysbadden wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Semisonic9 wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Semisonic9 wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

hehehehe

Yeah, I've read your synopsis of the games, very cool. Generally well-written, in an approachable style, too, btw.

PS- Not to touch off what sounds like an old dispute, but I WOULD say that that opponent had a weapon equal to the Psi-sword in that case...

I'm not saying he had to sit there with his hands in his pockets, but he had all sorts of things he could have done, he could have punched, pinned, smacked him with a lead pipe, threatend him, poked him in the back with a gun, cut a limb, tapped him on the shoulder with the psi blade or used his supernatural strength to pick him up and toss him. Instead he stabbed him in the back of the head....

:shock: What kind of Cyber-knight is he a despoiler. That would definately be against the code. What alignment is he?

He claims to be Principled good, with a long and noble tradition from being in a true atlantian noble family...
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

No kidding! There are a lot of repercussions I could think of for a player like that!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Why even call yourself principled? You can be diabolic and be a cyberknight...it's not like being a cosmoknight.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Ninjabunny wrote:Total lack of respect for the rules. :x

what rules? Karl Prosek could be a cyber knight witht the right training...
as for not playing an alignment properly, that generally means less XP. Arbitrary alignment change is just like any other use of the plot-wagon, grudgingly accepted at best.

But back to the point of this thread.

I think mild mods to normal cyber armor before implantation may be possible but cyber knight cyber armor is a living part of a cyber knight and should not be able to be modified.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

there needs to be a new alignment:

"what ever the hell I want to do"

Alignments are pretty dumb anyway.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Actually, a lot of games do that.

Twilight 2000,

Classic Battletech RPG