Close combat

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Close combat

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Aigol wrote:Can you make a called shot in close combat if so are the penalties the same as with a called ranged shot. Also could you make an aimed shot in close combat.

No, Those are Ranged Combat Only.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

but to anser your underlying question, that dosn't mean it counts as unaimed either. in fact, when it comes to hand to hand combat, ignore the ranged combat section totally. nothing in it applies.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Called shots with a melee weapon would need to be over 12 to hit, or 16 for small targets like the face or neck. Anything under the number but over 5 counts as a main body hit.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Aigol wrote:So could you just say I stab at his head and have no penalties for it

Right. No penalties, but no special bonuses to it either. and you still have to make over the required 12 called shot number, with all normal hand to hand bonuses added in.

on a different topic the W.P. for Energy rifles and pistols does not list the to strike bonuses that most other weapons have

they're identiacal to the standard handgun and rifle bonuses in regards to progression.

Also I have been givin conflicting answers on wheter stuff like dodging or aiming a shot or doing a power punch count as losing your next action or just having it subtracted from your total actions

when it says a move takes an attack, it's always your NEXT attack.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Aigol wrote:Where do you get the required 12 for called shots is that in RMB or RUE

both

Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Aigol wrote:Where do you get the required 12 for called shots is that in RMB or RUE

both

Where in RUE is that mentioned? I don't recall the old "12+" rule appearing anywhere in RUE. The FAQ is misleading in that it appears called shots in HtH work the same way as Ranged combat. Some of the posters in Q&A have mentioned it is their take on it too.

Edit: I just checked the FAQ for Ranged Combat and came across this:

Question: Do "Called Shots" need a "natural" 12 or higher to hit?
Answer: No.

Now it doesn't mention anything about HtH, but one would hope something else other then "No" would have been listed if that rule still applied to HtH.
That which does not kill me . . . had better do enough damage to keep me from firing back!
Omega6
D-Bee

Unread post by Omega6 »

It does not require a "natural" 12 to get a called shot. It requires a 12+ with bonuses.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

All not needing a "natural" roll to hit with a called shot is that you get all your bonuses factored in. Anything but a 1 on the dice can be modified high enough to get a hit on any normal attack roll.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Here's one then..

In Kevin's oft-reprinted description of how he handles combats of 2+ Vs 1, he says that the "one" can parry up to three other attackers, but a fourth would get a free hit (i.e you can parry a maximum of three opponents).

If this is the case, what use is the WP paired weapons option of simultaneously parrying two attacks - can't all combatants parry more than two attackers?
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Without paired weapons you can parry one weapon at a time for a maximum of three weapons parried for the round (based soley on that description). You also can't parry but one of a paired weapon attack aimed at you because you cant parry but one weapon at a time. Paired weapons allows a second weapon to be parried in a single parry attempt.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

Omega6 wrote:It does not require a "natural" 12 to get a called shot. It requires a 12+ with bonuses.

That is one among many (Bolding mine):

Question: This will seem like a really lame question but I'm looking for clarification. The called shot is 12 or greater to strike the target.
Now is that a 12 on the initial roll of the d20 or can bonuses be included to bring a lesser number up higher than 12 and thus a strike?
Answer: the latter.
so if you need a 12 or greater to strike, have W.P. Rifle at level 5 proficency (+4 strike) and sniping (+2) then you only need a 7 or higher to hit (assuming it dosn't dodge). It's useful to note that RUE, Splicers, and BTS2 no longer use the old Called Shot rules.
That which does not kill me . . . had better do enough damage to keep me from firing back!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

sHaka wrote:Here's one then..

In Kevin's oft-reprinted description of how he handles combats of 2+ Vs 1, he says that the "one" can parry up to three other attackers, but a fourth would get a free hit (i.e you can parry a maximum of three opponents).

If this is the case, what use is the WP paired weapons option of simultaneously parrying two attacks - can't all combatants parry more than two attackers?

Nope. See, while one person may be facing multiple adversaries, say, 2, they are not parried _at the same time_ due to initive rules. how it goes is say, one villian goes first, then the other, then you. first attacks, you parry. second attacks, you can also parry, BUT, it did not happen in the same initive slot as the first attack. therefore, it still counts as only parrying one attack at a time.

now, if villian A has 2 weapons, and does a paired strike, that's two attacks in the same initive slot. Unless YOU also have paired weapons, you can ONLY parry one of the two attacks.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Aigol wrote:Oh thanks and for any combat not just close combat does it work to do an overall Initiative thing like in D&D because as presented in the book it seems like it will be a bunch of 1 on 1 fights that you are switching between.

not really one on one necessarily. but kinda yea.

everyone rolls 1d20 and adds in initive bonuses, Whoever got highest goes first, the second highest goes second, and everyone gets their turn. if two people get the same initive, those two re-roll aginst each-other, and the highest of that goes first, then the second.

The difference is, in palladium there's a varaity of attacks that change someone's initive position, such as body flip/throw. also, the major difference, is in D&D everyone gets one turn, then everyone re-rolls. palladium is divided into melees and X number of attacks in that melee. and you ONLY re-roll inititve after EVERYONE is out of attacks. it also means that if a juicer has 8 attacks per melee and your headhunter has 5, then after you trade blows for 5 turns each, the juicer gets 3 attacks at you and you can't attack him back, and can only take actions that don't require a melee attack to use (such as automatic parry, or automatic dodge if applicable. possibly automatic body flip/throw if you have that as well). you CAN dodge after your out of melee attacks that round, but if you do, it comes out of next round. so for instance, in the 5 APM headhunter vs 8 APM juicer, they trade for five each, then the juicer shoots for the 6th. well, you dodge, but the juicer gets to go again sinse your out of attacts. so three shots from the juicer, and three dodges from the headhunter. now initive is re-rolled. Headhunter wins, nad it's his turn. BUT, not only did he take one extra dodge, he took three. so he looses that turn and the next two from last round as holdover. the juicers turn, he shoots, the headhunter dodges AGAIN...now he's still 3 down, sinse he just blew his 5th attack.

Obviously, having more attacks per melee is a GREAT advantage. if you can force yoru opponet to keep dodging, unless he has auto dodge (which is somewhat uncommon) you can just keep attacking and he'll never get a another shot off after a certain point. hence just saying "I take it" and trusting your armor can be the only way to win a fight.

grandmaster z0b
Champion

I thought you attacked simultaneously if you had identical intiative?
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

I thought that was higher PP
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Yeah autododge only counts PP bonuses or any bonus specifically stated for autododge ie. +2 to autododge, but don't count a general +2 to dodge. Juicers and Crazies do get the dodge even from behind or suprise attack but not those with H2H Commando (at least that's the way I play it).

A Juicer using a power punch with a MDC sword could add +1 MD, but not if the weapon wasn't MDC. So it seems a bit of a waste to use two attacks just to add +1 damage to your vibro sword when you could attack twice.

I would assume that a Juicer doing a power punch vs. MDC would need MDC gauntlets, which most would have as part of their MDC armour.
Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

So, is the new FAQ right, or does the 12+ for called shots actually appear somewhere in RUE?

I find it amazing how RUE was supposedly released to help clear up some of the confusion about the game. Yet we have gamers who don't know if the old called shot rules apply to HtH or if we are supposed to use the new called shot rules (appearing in the ranged section). One would think it would be an important clarification to make in the book. Actually, now that I think of it there is a third possibility people could have reached. They might have concluded that since there are no rules listed for called shot in HtH then you can't do called shots in HtH.

I'll stick with the FAQ but have to remember it is unofficial (and mistakes have been made in the past).
Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

both

Since we just talked about this in the other thread I figure I would bump this one with a request for the page number where that occurs in RUE. ;)
Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

Aigol wrote:Can you make a called shot in close combat if so are the penalties the same as with a called ranged shot. Also could you make an aimed shot in close combat.

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:Officially, melee combat does NOT use called shots, period.

We now have our answer for called shots.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Greeter wrote:

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:Officially, melee combat does NOT use called shots, period.

i'll wait for Kerseru to post the page number. It's unusual enough he didn't.

Greeter
Wanderer

Unread post by Greeter »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Greeter wrote:

i'll wait for Kerseru to post the page number. It's unusual enough he didn't.

Speaking of which, do you have a page number for your sources or were you using house rules again? ;)

There may not be a page number for this as called shots aren't mentioned for melee combat. I know you posted otherwise but we have yet to see your references in RUE for either melee called shots or that ranged called shots still have the target "12" number.

I do find it odd that he uses the term "officially" since the FAQ isn't official.

The logic behind it might be since it isn't listed then it isn't possible.

Return to “Rifts®”