Rifts in the 60´s

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmaster
Hero

Rifts in the 60´s

Unread post by Nightmaster »

Well people that is a setting that I am writing right now. Its based on the "What if" concept.

----------------------------------------

Imagine the coming of the Rifts but instead of 2098 for the year it occured in 1945 when the US army launched the two first atomic bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The main difference was that although that triggered the appearance of Rifts over the world the power of that eruption where not that hard. There was few natural disasters and the level of PPE energy on the world was not pumped to the sky.

This made that the demons and monsters that appeared through the rifts dindt becomed MDC creatures in this alternate Rifts Earth. That also dindt allowed for the Atlantis continent to be shifted back into Earth so the level of the oceans have not rised.

Magic once again was set free on the world. Ley Lines appeared but only the most powerful could be see even at night and only at the most powerful nexus points.

Scores and scores of DBees and Creatures of Magic were rifted to Earth creating lots of problems because of the situation of the worlds infrastructure by the end of WWII and the very nature of those creatures.

Now the year is 1960, fifteen years have passed since all that happened and the face of the world has been changed forever... Much of the world are still in ruins and the monsters and demons only make the recosntruction more slow... only future can say what will be of the entire world.

----------------------------------------

Well I am still writing this setting but sugestions could be very good to make it more playable.

Anyone can give me some ideas for this setting?
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

mega damage afros?...

I mean I don't know.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

I actually think that would be a more fun environment to play in...a cross between palladium, BTS and Recon/Systems Failure
Nightmaster
Hero

rat_bastard wrote:mega damage afros?...

I mean I don't know.

No no mega-damage at all. It was 1945, World War II.

Besides the surge of PPE was not enough to make Earth a rich PPE environment were demons. monsters and CoM became MDC beings.

Phalanx wrote:I was actually thinking about something like this earlier today. Perhaps an alternate world where the Nazis got the bomb first and one of their secret societies did a ritual that coincided with dropping the bomb on Washington, London, and Moscow. Their dark magicks unleashed a hell onto the world that not even they could control fully.

And since there was no MDC tech the world was lost. I dont see much oportunities of game in this setting... :-?
Nightmaster
Hero

Phalanx wrote:
Nightmaster wrote:And since there was no MDC tech the world was lost. I dont see much oportunities of game in this setting... :-?

No more or less so than would be the case in your setting, I'd think.

I believe there is a problem of understanding between us.

You mean that the cataclism unleashed by the Nazis would be like the one unleashed in 2098? The same level of cataclism?
Nightmaster
Hero

Then this option could work too :) but the cities busted by the bombs would have to be diferent ones because both London and Moscow were in their lowest level of population due to the Germany heavy bombardment of then. Only Washington would be with its population on normal levels.
Nightmaster
Hero

hmmm... yeah could be a way but I dont want to allow the Nazis to still exist (hate then with all my soul).

My problem actually is reasoning the effects of the reaperance of magic and the supernatural in the world of post WWII. Also how the most important countries of that age would deal with the DBees and creatures of magic? How will be the geopolitic of the world after that little Rifts Cataclism?

Those are my doubs and I hope to see sugestions on that so I can write it and who knows send it for the Rifter as an Alternate Earth that could be visited by the Player characters through a Rift.
Nightmaster
Hero

WonderingMind wrote:Oh, I agree with you on your hatred of the Nazi party and all the concepts and people there in. The whole of the European branch of my family (I reiterate, "ALL" of them!) were killed for being supporters and smugglers of Jews out of Germany and to England and points west.

The AI could have wiped out the leadership of the Nazi party and replaced them with demonic constructs for better control of its European operations. This fate would be richly deserved.

The ‘60s were fulmination point for freedom and equality in the US, I could see DBees being included in this up surge of equality. In fact, I could see the appearance of friendly DBees sparking the equality movement 15 or more years early as Humanity realizes there are really no differences between the races of Mankind when confronted with the reality of a demonic invasion. Even Rift travelers from the CS would be of the "all of Humanity is equal" mindset while trying to kill off any DBee they meet.

I hope not to include the Nazis in that equation dude but I have to agree that there is a need for some sort of great enemy in this scenario.

Maybe a AI for sure could get his arse on Earth during the cataclism and that his entrance on our world could have been the Dark Forest in germany. The AI could have take the most devious and evil personnel of the Nazi regime and with his powers and demonic helpers could have removed the Russians of Berlin. That is an idea to still have war and the Nazis in this setting.

By the way the CS travellers would be with a great trouble in his hands because they will run out of ammo after a while and they tech would be studied for a boom in technology in a matter of some decades.
Nightmaster
Hero

WonderingMind wrote:That works for me. I just like the idea that the Nazi brought their own death down on themselves. And yes, any travelers from the CS or any tech based PCs. Further, I would like to see this world as a SDC world.

The SDC world is the main idea for this setting.
Nightmaster
Hero

I was thinking of the situation by 1960 of the world after the cataclism and have come to the conclusion that several of the smaller countries and colonies of the world would be laid down. Only the most powerful and large countries would have survived.

The countries that by 1960 are still up and running are: USA, USSR, England, Canada, Japan (thanks to USA ocupation), Brasil, Australia and Italy.

The remained of the world countries have splintered or even disapeared due to the ounslaugh of monsters, demons and destruction caused by the Coming of the Rifts. In several areas the world have become a no-man land where there are few communities or none at all.

Travel over the world due to that have become dangerous by the fact that lots of military personnel of the countries involved of in the war have become marauders that attack and plunder villages and towns. Also demons and monsters roam the lands causing destruction and despair and in several locations the activity of Rifts have not yet stoped.

------------------------------

I dont remember other countries of that age that could have survived as a nation.

Also I am having problems developing the history of the countries that have survived since the day that the Rifts appeared.

Any help is apreciated.
Nightmaster
Hero

Andor wrote:To run with the original posters idea let's see where that leaves us.

August 9th, 1945 Fat Man is dropped over Nagasaki. The leylines awaken and the rifts begin to open around the world.

The rest of the war almost certainly ends as it did in our world. The Russians end the Manchuria offensive and the Pottsdam agreement holds.

D-bees and demons start appearing all over the world. Strange lights appear in the sky. People begin to manifest strange powers. At first it will probably be thought to be an alien invasion. The worlds economies remain on a military footing, and the focus shifts to home defense against demons. The demons, for all their power generally walk into a meat grinder. It is only in the disorganized areas of the world that they manage to cause real havok.

The timing of the rifts with the atomic bomb will be noted and a general moratoriam on atomic weapons will be called for. Probably this will prevent the Soviets from getting the bomb, and massive public outcry against further atomic testing will begin. The development of atomic and nuclear technologies grinds to a halt.

The development of psionic and magical powers and technologies begins with the public acceptance of these powers having been laid down by the exploration of psionic poweres in fiction in the pages of Analog and other SF magazines. In the public perception there is little difference between the two.

When the Berlin blockade is broken by the formation of the permanent New Orleans-Berlin Rift allowing supplies to flow unhindered to the beleagered city a magic/psionic arms race begins in earnest and becomes the focus of the new cold war.

All in all I think it would shape up the be a mix of Ninjas & Superspies meets BtS with a spell and talsiman wielding James Bond battling Soviet agents and KGB mindbenders through the streets of europe and the middleeast.

I'm not sure what happens to asia.

Anyone else want to chine in?

Hmm that gives me lots of ideas but Germany would be probably a waste zone due to monsters and demons and like Wonderingmind have sugested and AI that now controls Germany, Poland, and other northen europe areas and part of Russia.

Also you forget that in the first years the demons and monsters would have some advantage because little is know about then and their weakness and by the fact that even if still SDC, their natural AR could give then a good chance in combat against the weapons of that era.
Marcantony
Adventurer

Re: Rifts in the 60´s

Unread post by Marcantony »

Last edited by Marcantony on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nightmaster
Hero

Re: Rifts in the 60´s

Marcantony wrote:
Nightmaster wrote:The main difference was that although that triggered the appearance of Rifts over the world the power of that eruption where not that hard. There was few natural disasters and the level of PPE energy on the world was not pumped to the sky.

This made that the demons and monsters that appeared through the rifts dindt becomed MDC creatures in this alternate Rifts Earth. That also dindt allowed for the Atlantis continent to be shifted back into Earth so the level of the oceans have not rised.

Magic once again was set free on the world. Ley Lines appeared but only the most powerful could be see even at night and only at the most powerful nexus points.

Much of the world are still in ruins and the monsters and demons only make the recosntruction more slow

See at first you say that the cataclysm was much smaller with a much more limited release of monsters who dont even become MDC. Yet then you say much of the world is in ruins.
That just doesnt follow.
I mean you had most of the worlds' armies concentrated at the point of demon release so Id be surprised if more than half the demons survived. Add to that allied bombing runs, artillery, etc.
I really cant see how most of the world winds up in ruins with such a limited cataclysm.

I never mean the release of demons and monsters were small.

Also the demons were not released only in Japan but all over the world.

Also the level of military presence in lots of places over the world allowed for such monsters to be able to destroy most of the large cities in those areas due to their number, powers and abilities.

I can say that because the example of my country allow me to say that.

Brasil in 1945 were never capable of going to war with anyone. Their military even if equal in equipment with USA, were ridiculous in number. Most of the country military presence were in areas on the northeast (because of the training grounds for the Expedisionary Force) and around the capital. If a Rifts event even occur at that time Brasil would most probably be one of the countries that would be splintered or vanished as a nation because of their lack of military capacity.

In 1945 most of the countries of the world not involved in the war were never capable of resisting a invasion from other nations. Most of Africa, Asia and South America nations dindt have enough manpower or equipment for that, let alone resisting monsters and demons from the Rifts.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

rifts in the 60's equals mankind is crushed, sliced , diced and eaten on that world
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

With out the technologies of the future the human race would have to turn to magic to stay alive. But I bet the True Atlanteans would step up and teach us magic and make lots of tatoo man the defend us. If the CS ever forms it would not be as racist as before way more accepting of non-supernatural D-Bees. More cyber knights would be needed. The humans would have sneak into Atlantis to steal M.D. weapons. Germany would now be called the gargoyle empire.
Slag
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Slag »

Seriously, Andor, write up a few pages about this for the Rifter. Great stuff! :ok:

Oh, and for a certain unnamed poster: Afros are from the 70s, ya git!!! :P
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Nightmaster
Hero

runebeo wrote:With out the technologies of the future the human race would have to turn to magic to stay alive. But I bet the True Atlanteans would step up and teach us magic and make lots of tatoo man the defend us. If the CS ever forms it would not be as racist as before way more accepting of non-supernatural D-Bees. More cyber knights would be needed. The humans would have sneak into Atlantis to steal M.D. weapons. Germany would now be called the gargoyle empire.

Have you read all the posts here? The world have not been completely destroyed. Several of the Large nations of the world have survived as nations. The remained either splintered in small nations or disapeared because they dindt succed at mantaining their unity or infrastructure.

Also the world is a SDC one, no MDC tech.

The level of PPE in the environment is not that high, so monsters, demons and creatures of magic are not MDC beings. That also dindt allowed for the Atlantis continent to be rifted back from the limbo that it is.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

WonderingMind wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:rifts in the 60's equals mankind is crushed, sliced , diced and eaten on that world
Nighmaster was envisioning a MUCH lower level of rift and magic activity and an SDC world to boot.
thats rifts lite :lol: :lol:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Nightmaster
Hero

WonderingMind wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:
WonderingMind wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:rifts in the 60's equals mankind is crushed, sliced , diced and eaten on that world
Nighmaster was envisioning a MUCH lower level of rift and magic activity and an SDC world to boot.
thats rifts lite :lol: :lol:
I think that was the idea that Nightmaster is trying to get across. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys are killing me.

By the way the first country history for the setting is nearly complete. It will be Japan of course the following country will be USA for obvious reasons.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Nightmaster wrote:
runebeo wrote:With out the technologies of the future the human race would have to turn to magic to stay alive. But I bet the True Atlanteans would step up and teach us magic and make lots of tatoo man the defend us. If the CS ever forms it would not be as racist as before way more accepting of non-supernatural D-Bees. More cyber knights would be needed. The humans would have sneak into Atlantis to steal M.D. weapons. Germany would now be called the gargoyle empire.

Have you read all the posts here? The world have not been completely destroyed. Several of the Large nations of the world have survived as nations. The remained either splintered in small nations or disapeared because they dindt succed at mantaining their unity or infrastructure.

Also the world is a SDC one, no MDC tech.

The level of PPE in the environment is not that high, so monsters, demons and creatures of magic are not MDC beings. That also dindt allowed for the Atlantis continent to be rifted back from the limbo that it is.

I like it better my way. Rifts ain't the same without M.D.C.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

This is a very interesting idea for an alternative Rift's Earth. Very interesting in a good way.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Nightmaster
Hero

Aramanthus wrote:This is a very interesting idea for an alternative Rift's Earth. Very interesting in a good way.

My idea or Andor idea? just a question :ok:
Nightmaster
Hero

Ok folks there is the first block of description on this setting I am working on. Its not much I know but I am still resolving a lots of problems here in my house and time was become something very rare to write :-(

Anyway I hope you guys like it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rifts 1960

Year: 1945
When the second bomb blasted in Nagasaki the USA high command hoped that the Japanese would surrender but they never expected that the entire world would go mad because of that. At several locations in the world tears in the fabric of space and time appeared and released scores of monsters and demons, earthquakes and natural disasters struck and many believed that the Axis have unleashed a new and terrible weapon to win the war. The Coming of the Rifts have arrived.

Despite all that the Allies nations in their homelands managed to recover fast from the horror and surprise and stopped the advance of the monsters and demons making possible for then to secure their lands once more. This however would prove to be only possible in months or years on the future and only by 1950 would the last of the Allies nations managed to finally regain control of all their lands and so stop the carnage that have befall on then.

On the other parts of the world however things were not that promising. Outside the nations directly involved in the war either on the Axis or the Allies side, the majority of the countries and nations neutral in that conflict didn’t possess the manpower to resist a simple invasion from any of the warring nations or even wage a war of any size by the epoch standards. They were easy targets to the monsters and demons that were coming from the Rifts. This combined with the destruction caused in several places by weird natural disasters created poor conditions for that nations to resist the wave of chaos and destruction that were affecting the entire world.

In several locations the natural disasters destroyed the already small resources for war that such nations have and so leaved then incapable of defending themselves. Thousands of people flocked to the more large and powerful nations in their regions for help and protection creating just more chaos. The result was that by 1950 the majority of the minor nations that existed in 1945 disappeared in the wake of destruction caused by the coming of the rifts. Years later even some nations that survived the initial onslaught would splitter, creating more countries in the already troubled world that Earth was become. More and more the surviving cities build high walls in reminiscence of the walled cities of eons past to protect themselves from monsters that come from the Rifts.

Now the year is 1960, much of the world have already recovered from the chaos that the Rifts have brought but danger is still a reality even in the great nations that survived the Coming of the Rifts. Most of Africa, South America and Asia is a wasteland, with some striving nations surviving either alone or with the help from the powerful nations that have survived the cataclysm.

In Europe a great danger is brewing in the devastated lands of Germany and Poland and rumors say that in the ruins of those two countries a great evil is massing up a horde of demons and monsters to conquer Europe. That even the dead were rising to answer the call made by this evil to fuel once more the flames of war and destruction. Some even claim that Hitler have raised from the grave to once again lead his armies against the rest of the world.

Future is a unknown…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any coments? Any sugestion to correct or even add to the setting? I am open to it. :-)
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

"dude check out the lights over there"

Dude it's like another way world megreand becaming one with ours"

"cool"

"Dude, check that red gaint with black horns "

"Peace red man"

*crushing on bones under a demon's heel*

rifts in the 60's :lol: :lol:

Nightmaster
Hero

Mech-Viper wrote:"dude check out the lights over there"

"cool"

"Peace red man"

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nightmaster wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:"dude check out the lights over there"

"cool"

"Peace red man"

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
geez two hippies encountering a demon ..... hello rifts in the 60's :lol:

Aramanthus
Monk

Actually Nightmaster, yours and Andors. Plus some of the suggestions were pretty good. It would be an interesting world to play in.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

For some more inspiration, check out Gear Kreig by Dream Pod 9, and if you can find it, Godlike (think that's the game), where people with superpowers first start appearing during WWII.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Nightmaster
Hero

Andor wrote:The trouble with walled cities in 1950, which cannot be handwaved away with future tech like in Rifts mainline, is that you can't abandon the countryside or the cities starve. Period.

The cities can still have farms outside the walls like most walled cities in the past had. The fact of then being surounded by walls dont mean that they will starve.

I could almost see things going the other way, where the cities are semi-abandoned as providing too much shelter and opportunity to vampires and other human like predators. Instead the bulk of the people live in the country in Kibbutzim like armed farm-camps. They are small enough that personal recognition prevents inflitration of vamps and demons, but large enough and heavily armed enough to defend themselves. Road travel is generally done by armed convoy or in armoured and armed trains.

This is more a tactic for a country still under seige however. Britain is just too small to allow for hidden demon hoardes. GB would be saved or lost pretty quickly after the rifts, And I'm betting on saved, given the concentration of military force available to her.

Can you please explain to me what is a Kibbutzim? I have made a search in the net, found some articles but I found too difficult to understand due to the lot of history info mixed in the article.

I wish to understand what a Kibbutzim is in pratice. Can you explain it? :-?

The US is big enough to allow for large pockets of hidden demons, but with radios and air power I suspect they would set up an internal demon patrol and any sightings would draw an immediate military grade response, leaving the country relatively safe.

Each country will respond as it's geography and population demand.

Agree but that dont prevent from monsters to make lairs in places dificult to patrol like the Rockies or the swamps of Missisipi and Florida.
Nightmaster
Hero

Ok guys I managed to get some free time so I finish (or so I believe) the Japan section on description of their history since the cataclism.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Japan: In the wake of the destruction caused by the blasting of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and following of the Coming of the Rifts the Japanese people have endured lots of hardships. The first for then was the humiliating action of surrendering to USA just for surviving the onslaught that were released upon then when the cataclysm began. Caught completely by surprise not even by the bombs but by the Rifts, the Japanese army suffered lots of losses in just a few hours. That coupled with earthquakes caused by the cataclysm nearly destroyed their capacity for defending themselves forcing Emperor Hirohito to make a difficult decision.

Faced with the possibility of complete destruction at the hands of monsters and demons, Emperor Hirohito decided to radio to the USA fleet their unconditional surrender and ask for help to overcome the inhuman treat that were consuming Japan as a whole. It was a desperate call and after hours of no answer from the USA fleet almost no one in the command of the country believed that the Americans would help.

They were wrong and three days after the surrender was radioed the USA fleet arrived at Japan with all their troops and ships.

The USA fleet on the pacific were already on route to prepare the invasion of Japan in the eventually of the Japanese didn’t surrender after the blasting of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The troops for that invasion were already being stationed at Iwo Jima just to wait signal from the Allies High Command. When the Rifts began the troops on the island were almost unscathed by the destruction by sheer luck. The island was several miles away from the nearest Ley Line and very few monster and demons actually made to the island. Those creatures were quickly killed and the troops stationed here just watched with horror the sound of death and pleas for help coming from the radios.

The fleet on route were lucky too and only a few of the ships were destroyed by either freaking storms or monsters. When the Japanese radioed their surrender the Fleet commander decide to order their moving to Japan. In Iwo Jima their supplies would not run long and the contact with America was lost due to the interference cause by the Ley Line Storms and radiation coming from the Rifts. They better chance was in making a stand in Japan and so they decide to go to the island and from here try to contact the Allies command in Asia.

The USA fleet consisted of five battleships, a dozen destroyers, 4 carriers and several frigates. Five submarines, eight destroyers and twelve frigates were stationed at Iwo Jima along with several troop transports that would be used to transport the soldiers stationed at the island for the possible invasion.

When the fleet arrived at the bay of Tokyo they requested coordinates of the monsters large concentrations at once. The Emperor and the army command were surprised but still alleviated that USA have answered their call. After the shock passed through the Japanese command, they send the USA fleet the coordinates they requested and very soon a big barrage of artillery began from the ships in the fleet over the monsters and demons that were attacking the costal cities of Japan. With help from bombers that where on Iwo Jima and that on the morning of this very day launched towards Japan to arrive at the same time as the fleet, the barrage of death and destruction unleashed by USA forces managed to destroy over 75% of the large concentrations of monsters and demons in Japan. The landing of US soldiers and tanks changed tide in favor of the Japanese and in the following months the two armies together would fight side by side against hordes of monsters that were still been released from the Rifts. By the beginning of 1946 however the land was far from liberated and the supplies were beginning to wade and hope were once again low among both the Japanese and the Americans.

Salvation arrived in February of 1946 by the awakening of the dragons of Japan. The Japanese dragons always loved their island and upon awakening they saw only death and destruction perpetuated by demons and other monsters. They were still too weak to effectively fight and decide to take eight Shinto priest of Izumo Taisha and imbue then with the necessary knowledge and right magic tools to allow then to close the Rifts of Mount Fuji and Kyoto. In this way the release of creatures would be minimized to the maximum, allowing the Japanese and USA forces to get rid of those monsters with little effort.

The priests once prepared were send to Tokyo and once here they managed to approach some command personnel of both forces. Showing to then they capacities in magic the priests managed to convince then that the only way to win the war was to close the Rifts at Mount Fuji and Kyoto, but for that they would need help to reach those two locations. In fifteen days a large operation was planned. The first target would be Kyoto.

Kyoto were target first because the closing of the Rifts here would liberate troops in the south to allow the attack of the Rifts at Mount Fuji. The operation was launched at March 15 of 1946 and after 4 days of combat and several losses, including 3 of the 8 priest, the Rifts of Kyoto was closed. The success of the operation send waves of joy and hope through all troops and population and soon the tide once again changed. The attack on Mount Fuji however would cost much more in terms of manpower and equipment and although the artifacts that empowered the priests were powerful the prospect of attacking Mount Fuji were months in the future. Renewed contact made with Allies forces in the Asia theater would change that.

In March 29 of 1946 a small British fleet arrived from Australia at the shores of Japan. They reported that some Australian units and several wings of bombers were still operational at Australia. The USA forces requested help in the attack at Mount Fuji and in April 6 of 1946 several B-29 were launched from Australia to attack Mount Fuji in Japan. They would refuel at Iwo Jima and with their help the Japanese and USA forces had the ability to attack by foot the Rifts on the mountain. By April 18 of 1946 the battle was over and the Rifts was closed. That was a massive battle and only 2 of the priests survived but the effect was clear and in the following months the Japanese forces with the help of the USA army succeed at securing several key locations on the island. By 1947 the contact between US forces in Japan and USA was been reestablished and with some replacements of men and equipment send from USA the forces in Japan by the end of the year managed to finally secure the land from inhuman forces. After managed the security of Japan the US forces began the reconstruction of the nation.

Emperor Hirohito signed the official surrender by that year and the occupation of Japan by USA forces were in place by two months later.

The reconstruction would take several years and great garrisons were place around Mount Fuji and Kyoto to prevent that future openings of those Rifts once again threaten Japan.

By 1960 the entire nation was rebuild and a although monsters and demons still exist in Japan they are no longer a threat to national security. Also the several thousands Dbees that were rifted to Japan have been absorbed and now are part of the nation as a whole. Magic is been researched with the unknown the help of the Japanese dragons.

The only thing that make times still difficult is that although American soldiers have fight and fallen alongside with the Japanese soldiers to save the nation, the sentiments against the Americans is still high. The surrender to then and the eventual proclaiming from the Emperor saying that he was not divine still ache in the hearts of the Japanese and many believe that was better to fall than to surrender to just survive.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If something is missing or if you guys feel that description of some events should be more elaborated just say it :)
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Another idea is that the Nazi let the Demons out of the bottle, but killed themselves in the process, leaving the west and th soviets to go at it.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Aramanthus
Monk

Especially if they (the Nazi's) did as the Russians are about to take Berlin. They would have done anything to stop the Russians. Just a thought. Of course both things might have happened in the event that you laid out in your history of the Alternate Japan.

HH....FIE
Nightmaster
Hero

A good idea but the fall of Berlin occured months before the blasting of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. :-?
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

What would it hurt to move the bombing up a few months? Change the timetable a bit, or even have Nazis working with and in Japan doing the same ritual at the same time. The Emperor tries to get a cease fire with the Allies to save Japan and the US ends up invading as a friendly force?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Aramanthus
Monk

I know that the fall of Berlin occured several months before the bomb was dropped. But they could have started the ball rolling with their own dabbling in the arts. And it might have gotten worse with the atomic bombs being used.

HH....FIE
Nightmaster
Hero

Aramanthus wrote:I know that the fall of Berlin occured several months before the bomb was dropped. But they could have started the ball rolling with their own dabbling in the arts. And it might have gotten worse with the atomic bombs being used.

Hmm... its an idea... but how would you make it? I mean what would have been the results of that initial dabbling in the arts made by the Nazis? Were they successful or not? and if they were sucessful, how much? After all I am making that Berlin did fall in right date as acordling to history books.
Aramanthus
Monk

I wasn't suggesting any changes in the time of the fall of Berlin. But remember the Nazi's were operating the concentration camps until the surrender. They were putting hundreds to death there. And Hitler was into the study of the occult. What if the Nazi's had an item that could collect the PPE release at the concentration camps. With this item (an orb, let's call it an orb) they could begin to open dimensions rifts with the right ceremony. And this opening for the first time during the modern era might have weakened the structure of the Ley line network and made it vulnerable to the Atomic bombs in japan. Maybe your altered history might be a lot more wide spread than you first thought. And remember Stalin also was doing his own pruges both before and after the war. Millions died at this hands. Maybe he had the orb from Berlin.

What do you think of this little twisted ideas for your alternate Rifts earth game?

HH....FIE
Nightmaster
Hero

Aramanthus wrote:I wasn't suggesting any changes in the time of the fall of Berlin. But remember the Nazi's were operating the concentration camps until the surrender. They were putting hundreds to death there. And Hitler was into the study of the occult. What if the Nazi's had an item that could collect the PPE release at the concentration camps. With this item (an orb, let's call it an orb) they could begin to open dimensions rifts with the right ceremony. And this opening for the first time during the modern era might have weakened the structure of the Ley line network and made it vulnerable to the Atomic bombs in japan. Maybe your altered history might be a lot more wide spread than you first thought. And remember Stalin also was doing his own purges both before and after the war. Millions died at this hands. Maybe he had the orb from Berlin.

What do you think of this little twisted ideas for your alternate Rifts earth game?

hmmm... quite an idea... it could be used even good for things I am writing about Germany and Poland.... could be used to explain some gaps that I feel need to be filled in the background of that setting... I will think about it...
Aramanthus
Monk

Glad to help out.

HH....FIE
DocS
Adventurer

An inspiration....

Unread post by DocS »

Rifts 1960's?

Ever seen the movie 'Six-String Samurai'?

To be honest, your setting may have some ironic trouble.

Another gaming company has already done this sort of concept (a huge war in history awakens monsters and demons and the world is changed with demons inhabiting a historically interesting world).

They did it with 1860 (The Civil War)
1945 (WWII)
1960s (Vietnam)
2084 (post apocalyptic)

I don't know the policy on mentioning other companies and other games on this board, but if you private message me I can send you references to look at for inspiration for you and to make sure you're not stepping on the wrong toes (They even did the concentration camps as huge spiritual energy batteries for horrific death-powered techno-wizardesque devices).
Nightmaster
Hero

Re: An inspiration....

DamonS wrote:Rifts 1960's?

Ever seen the movie 'Six-String Samurai'?

To be honest, your setting may have some ironic trouble.

Another gaming company has already done this sort of concept (a huge war in history awakens monsters and demons and the world is changed with demons inhabiting a historically interesting world).

They did it with 1860 (The Civil War)
1945 (WWII)
1960s (Vietnam)
2084 (post apocalyptic)

I don't know the policy on mentioning other companies and other games on this board, but if you private message me I can send you references to look at for inspiration for you and to make sure you're not stepping on the wrong toes (They even did the concentration camps as huge spiritual energy batteries for horrific death-powered techno-wizardesque devices).

Curious I never heard or have see any of those movies and games and I am a fan of terror movies, games and so on :-D
Nightmaster
Hero

Well this is a sort of a report on the why I havent posted more on this setting I am writing.

In the last 2 weeks my free time to write not only this setting but everything have been cut by 90%.

The reason for that was that the company where I work is to be selled and everyone is working like mad people to resolve the company most important problems and negotiations before it happens. This way until the papers are signed I doub I will have the spare time to sit and write what I wish. That probably will change in a few weeks but again I cant be to optimistic.

So guys I hope you all understand. When I got back on business I will post more on this setting as fast I can.
Aramanthus
Monk

I can be patient waiting for your next post. I hope everything goes well with the sale of the company you work for.

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®”