What'll be the New Power Categories in PU3

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

What'll be the New Power Categories in PU3

Unread post by Marrowlight »

OK, NMI can't talk about them but we've heard that they're coming. Or maybe only one is. Who knows - well NMI knows, and KS knows, and hell half of you probably know. But I don't, and it is making me twitchy.

So while I wait and twitch - anyone care to take some guesses as to what might be included as new HU power categories?

And yes I know this game has been played before - but we're all older now, and wiser, and hopefully less mature. So it's time for it to come up again. :D
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

I just finished reading Blood Music and it's had me thinking strange thoughts for the past few hours. Thus, I'm going to say Hive Being.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

That depends on your opinions of the previous boooks.
And the new powers thread.
There will probably be a few that look rather like some powers posted on their, especially if there are fifty different versions of it.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

There are additional powers that could be good.
I wouldn't think we need any additional catogories however: at best some expansions of existing catagories, but not new ones. Better guidelines for incorporating HU into other Palladium games settings would be nice, particularly in regards to using Powers Unlimited I with Rifts, or combining Nightbane with PUII, for example.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Cant say much, but I actually think IMHO, that the powers in this installment of PU are actually pretty good. Some are ok as is, some need some tweeking and others, well I am not sure what Carmen was thinking. All in all, they are unique. As far as OCC's, I plan on using one of them @ Open House as a potential PC or NPC if no one wants him.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Alejandro wrote:Seriously though...do we need more powers? I think we'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel with this book.

For some reason this statement made me think of the Guy who ran the US patent office in the 1800's who said that we should close the patent office because everything of any use had already been invented and patented. :lol:
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Alejandro wrote:Seriously though...do we need more powers? I think we'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel with this book.
Seriously dude, a good majority of the powers in the manuscript are pretty unique. Sure some might be dupes of other powers with different names/description of effects, but for the most part, I think people will be even more impressed then those that were impressed with PU1.

The only other book I want to see for HU other then PU3 is The Atorian Empire.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Mephisto wrote:
The Deific NMI wrote:
Seriously dude, a good majority of the powers in the manuscript are pretty unique. Sure some might be dupes of other powers with different names/description of effects, but for the most part, I think people will be even more impressed then those that were impressed with PU1.

Atorian Empire? Before Hardware Unlimited?

Since the same guy is doing both.... :D
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Marrowlight
Knight

Mephisto wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Mephisto wrote:
The Deific NMI wrote:

I didn't find the Atorian Empire all that interesting in the original Aliens Unlimited, so I may be a bit jaded...(and no, I am not a gamma monster with purple pants)

Well what I mean is "until Atorian is out there will never be a Hardware Unlimited since the same guy is writing both."

Sentinel
Palladin

Mephisto wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Mephisto wrote:
The Deific NMI wrote:

I didn't find the Atorian Empire all that interesting in the original Aliens Unlimited, so I may be a bit jaded...(and no, I am not a gamma monster with purple pants)

That has yet to be conclusively proven.
You still haven't explained what you were doing at the nuclear test site, nor your torn clothing, nor that annoying 17 year old dogging your steps.

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Sir_Spirit wrote:That depends on your opinions of the previous boooks.
And the new powers thread.
There will probably be a few that look rather like some powers posted on their, especially if there are fifty different versions of it.

Well, we've done some pretty good work on that thread I must say. There are quite a few imaginative abilities that aren't present in mainstream comics. There's also a lot of good work done on powers for HU that are somewhat based in comics.

I'd be very surprised, and slightly unhappy, to see PU3 not include abilities inspired by that thread. Especially since Carmen seems to have read the thread.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Sentinel
Palladin

Herald of Shadow wrote:I'd like to see a magic OCC based on PFRP's Diabolist, adapted to HU

I'd actually rather have an overview of how to adapt specific existing mage OCCs to HUII, rather than simply re-writing all of them.
I use many of the magic guys in HU, with only a little alteration, and they work fine. Admittedly, the Diabolist is not one of my favorites, but I can see why others might like them.
A few, simple guidelines on making them fit the super-hero based game would be good.

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Sentinel wrote:
Herald of Shadow wrote:I'd like to see a magic OCC based on PFRP's Diabolist, adapted to HU

I'd actually rather have an overview of how to adapt specific existing mage OCCs to HUII, rather than simply re-writing all of them.
I use many of the magic guys in HU, with only a little alteration, and they work fine. Admittedly, the Diabolist is not one of my favorites, but I can see why others might like them.
A few, simple guidelines on making them fit the super-hero based game would be good.

Like how?
Diabolist are the guys that write wards on stuff.
Ward's that respond to every things but them by going off.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

You know what i'd like to see? A superhero-"sized" version of Mutant Animals...
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Why cant anyone say anything if it was on public display at the open house?
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Sentinel wrote:There are additional powers that could be good.
I wouldn't think we need any additional catogories however: at best some expansions of existing catagories, but not new ones. Better guidelines for incorporating HU into other Palladium games settings would be nice, particularly in regards to using Powers Unlimited I with Rifts, or combining Nightbane with PUII, for example.

There are still a few possible unique power categories out there.

When PU2 came out, I liked quite a few of them. Natural Genius, Eugenics(serious tweaking needed though), and Ancient Weapons Master were my favorites.

I did some work on a Dream Avatar category. I'm also currently working on a category similar in concept to Ancient Master and Ancient Weapons Master. It'll be a power category with a single minor power at 15th level, along with some extra tricks available depending on the type of power chosen.

Also I intend to(some time in the distant future) create a magical version of the bionic/eugenic type hero. You build either a golem type character, or add magical augmentations to a person. I might never get around to it though.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

i'm working on a SDC setting Psi-knight.
Psi-sword, Psi spear, Psi-bow/arrow, Psi-shield.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

Marcantony wrote:Why cant anyone say anything if it was on public display at the open house?

I think no one wants to step on any toes, so to speak.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Mephisto wrote:
Well what I mean is "until Atorian is out there will never be a Hardware Unlimited since the same guy is writing both."

OK, I can accept that. That means that Hardware Unlimited will be released around 2098, in time for the Usurper to attack Venezuala for the oil deposit and cause the Great Cataclysm to occur. Thanx, marrowlight.

If you you look around in some of the older topics, you'll see that Wayne Breaux's work on Atorian Empires is finished, assuming no rewrites are required. I'm not sure where Hardware Unlimited is in Wayne's queue of projects, but last I heard he intended to get to it before Robots Unlimited, but possibly after other ventures.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

It's an unfortunate possibility. Only time will tell. Or possibly Wayne will. :D
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Actually, from what Wayne has said, I got the impression that he was working on AU:Atorian Empire and then going straight for HU.
(He wanted to get Hu done before, say, doing Bionics or Robotics Unlimited).
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

From the press release and the online catalogue, there will not be any new power categories in PU3.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

I actually think that's good news. There are more than enough as is.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”