BOOOM!!

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

BOOOM!!

Unread post by Jefffar »

It's like a claymore mine. . . except it's a tank

I wonder what the aftermath will be the first time one of al-Zaqari's boys steps out into the street with an RPG and faces down that bad boy?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

:shock: Ouch

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

That looks like it would pack a punch. A step closer to Boom Gun ammo!!!

any links to the technical aspects of this round?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Not found the tech data yet, but I think the Claymore comparison is a decent one (though under powered)

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Nelly
Explorer
Comment: The German Princess

Unread post by Nelly »

I took a look too but I haven't even found something on the military technologie board yet.. but it's definately ... ouch... :shock:

wow...don't let door hit ya when the good lord.... ya know.. :shock:
Subjugator:
Happy birrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-dbath to you!
Happy birrrrrrrrrrrrrr-ch tree to you!
Happy birrrrrrrrrrrrrr-th-right dear Nelly...
Happy birrrrrrrrrrrrr-thstone to you!
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

They are neat. But its just a cannister round. They have had them forever. My father told me about them in Vietnam stories about the artillery on his base. They kept them on hand for anti-infantry. Lower the barrel and turn VC into a red mist.

speaking of which I found a little snipit from an article.

-Cannister/Beehive rounds for use in HKPs, MDCs, and HVCs? I recently got my hands on a manual from the US Army about artillery systems. Its mostly an overview but covers basics of loading, fuzing and the types of projectiles. One of the really intersting rounds is the M546 APERS round.

It has 8,000 8 grain steel darts inside that are expelled as it flies towards the target area. It can be set to arm immediately after leaving the gun tube or at long range. No medium range setting for some reason.V ViewAttch 44%towards the target area. It can be set to arm immediately after leaving the gun tube or at long range. No medium range setting for some reason. Really nasty against infantry in soft cover. Sort of a big 155mm shotgun. The use in vietnam was very effective in the jungle from accounts I've read.-

Speaking of cannister rounds found an article you might like. By the way the M-576 is considered a cannister round.

Commonly known as the 'Thumper' or 'Blooper', this weapon first appeared during the Vietnam war and closely resembled a large bore, single barrel, sawn-off shotgun. The first M79 Grenade launchers were delivered to the US Army in 1961.

The M79 was designed as a close support weapon for the infantry, with two weapons being issued to each rifle squad. The tactical use of the weapon required the gunner (grenadier) to be dedicated to the weapon and only carried a pistol as a side arm. the M79 was intended to bridge the gap between the maximum throwing distance of a hand grenade, and the lowest range of supporting mortar fire - between 50 and 300 meters - and thus gave the squad an integral indirect fire weapon. With a length of 737mm (barrel = 355mm) and a loaded weight of 3kg, (6 and a half pounds) the M79 was an ideal weapon in the close terrain of Vietnam.

The M79 was a single shot, shoulder fired, break-barrel weapon which fired a spherical 40mm diameter grenade loaded directly into the breech. It had a rubber pad fitted to the shoulder stock to absorb some of the shock. The M-406 40mm HE grenades fired from the M79 traveled at a muzzle velocity of 75 meters per second, and contained enough explosive within a steel casing that upon impact with the target would produce over 300 fragments at 1,524 meters per second within a lethal radius of up to 5 meters. Stabilized in flight by the spin imparted on it by the rifled barrel the grenade rotated at 3,700rpm, this in turn, after approximately 15 meters of flight, armed the grenade.

For close range fighting the Army came up with two types of M79 rounds. The first was a flechette round ( or Bee Hives round) which housed approx 45 small darts in a plastic casing, these rounds were issued on an experimental basis. Later this round was replaced by the M-576 buckshot round. This round contained twenty-seven 00 buckshot which on firing was carried down the barrel in a 40mm plastic sabot which slowed down in flight so that the pellets could travel in their forward direction un-aided. The M79 could also fire smoke grenades (both standard and parachute), CS gas, and flares.

The M79 had a large flip up sight situated half way down the barrel, with a basic leaf foresight fixed at the end of the barrel. The rear sight was calibrated up to 375 meters (410 yds) in 25 meter (27.3 yds) intervals. In the hands of a good experienced Grenadier the M79 was highly accurate up to 200 meters. Later in the war the M79 was superseded by the M203.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

It's the first cannister round for the M1's 120 mm is the big deal.

A gap that's been in existence for 20 years or more.

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Knock knock, shell-o-gram for Mr. Ladin.......
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”