Ocean related upgrades missing.

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Ocean related upgrades missing.

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

ManDrake13 wrote:the Serpentine lower body gives a bonus to swimming, but no swimming speed is given.

All Host Armors have a base swimming speed of 30 mph. This and other standard Host Armor stats are found on pp. 71-72.

Note that the Serpentine Lower Body halves speed, however it is not clear whether this applies solely to running speed or to all movement modes.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

The swimming bonuses provided by Webbed Hands & Feet and Serpentine Lower Body are applied to the Swimming skill percentage, not to swimming speed. Serpentine Lower Body does not affect swimming speed in any way, except possibly to reduce it as noted above.

Also there is nothing that says you can't have both SLB and Enhanced Speed Factor. The former feature merely cuts the final speed factor in half.

There's also nothing saying the Enhanced Speed Factors listed are the absolute maximum speeds possible; they may merely be the maximums you can acquire through that specific feature, in which case you could possibly have a Host Armor that swims at 90 mph by maxing ESF and taking Webbed Hands & Feet (perhaps Carmen can clarify this?).

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Ocean related upgrades missing.

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

ManDrake13 wrote:I got the Splicers book for Christmas, so I sat down to read it from cover to cover so I could get a feel for the game. When I got to the Leviathan and the comments there about the machines being afraid of the ocean, I realized that basically all ocean related Host Armor enhancements were missing. Was that by design because it's going to be a part of the next release?

If Machine is afraid of the ocean I know that's first place I would set up a base. I mean the basics are there, all Host suits have gills, but a depth limit of 6000 feet is not very good for the Floating Air Bladder, it might be enough to escape, but limits you to the continental shelves. Webbed fingers and toes are a good start, but I'd really like a merman tail say. And the Organic Thrusters are ok, 200 mph maximum is pretty good for underwater. But a Squid bottom and Merman bottom are almost a must. The Fully Functional Wings should also allow you generate some speed underwater as well. It doesn't have to be much.

Also the Serpentine lower body gives a bonus to swimming, but no swimming speed is given.

And are their seedlings in the water? Do they burrow into the ocean floor, or do they float some point between the ocean floor and surface, can they surface? Also since they are in the ocean and the machines don't work as well there, does that mean the Nano-plague has more trouble attacking people when in the salt water? Does it slow down the Contact time for a reaction, or is it only large robots that are effected?

And what about Bio-Weapons Bio-Energy Expulsion Vents, Electric Discharger, and Screamer Grenades all have underwater ranges listed, does that mean the others can't work underwater? I could see a case for the Tentacle Harpoons, Spore Discharger, Super Light Cell, and Organic Rockets to work under water maybe with some range restrictions. And what about a Screamer Grenade style gun being introduced. And ink option for the chemical sprayer and some other underwater powers. Also are we going to introduce the entire blue-green laser underwater to the Super Light Cell?

Finally we need some monster sharks, whales, and dolphins to go along with the Leviathans.

The machines aren't afraid of water they can't function well too deep because they loose contact with the machine. The machine could start using ULF radio waves to communicate though which would allow them to even penetrate the ground. I guess the technology for ULF radio is just so old the N.E.X.U.S. doesn't have it in it's database. Hopefully none of it's personnas will ever be a scientist or innovator.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Carmen
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Carmen »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:There's also nothing saying the Enhanced Speed Factors listed are the absolute maximum speeds possible; they may merely be the maximums you can acquire through that specific feature, in which case you could possibly have a Host Armor that swims at 90 mph by maxing ESF and taking Webbed Hands & Feet (perhaps Carmen can clarify this?).

Any bio-modification that gives a bonus to speed, increases the maximum possible speed of the host armor as well. This basic rule applies to all attributes too.

Carmen :D
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

The machine could start using ULF radio waves to communicate though which would allow them to even penetrate the ground

ULF also transmits at about 4 characters a minute. so to send the code based instructions would take days.

subs use it to keep intouch at depth because they can afford to take their time, and aren't using programming languages.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Carmen wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:There's also nothing saying the Enhanced Speed Factors listed are the absolute maximum speeds possible; they may merely be the maximums you can acquire through that specific feature, in which case you could possibly have a Host Armor that swims at 90 mph by maxing ESF and taking Webbed Hands & Feet (perhaps Carmen can clarify this?).

Any bio-modification that gives a bonus to speed, increases the maximum possible speed of the host armor as well. This basic rule applies to all attributes too.

Carmen :D

Nifty :ok:

Return to “Splicers®”