Biotics

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Biotics

Unread post by Ale Golem »

Biotics are pretty cool, all the benefits of a Host Armor with the role playing potential of a Crazy and the range of appearance is fairly appearing as well. What place in society do your Biotics hold, are their enhancements outwardly apparent or do your houses opt for a more natural appearance such as easily hidden weapons, extra MDC and sight upgrades?
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Biotics

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

I LOVE Biotics; its my favorite OCC in Splicers. I've always preferred PCs who are a bit off their rocker and Biotics are perfect for this. You've got a character who is pretty much a walking weapon, yet they might just cry their eyes out if left alone in the dark.

In the LeDouche-verse, Biotics are pretty obviously not human. Their enhancements are (most of the time) readily apparent; these guys are warrior slaves and second class citizens. Not need to guile or subterfuge here.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

in my Splicerverse i have your standard Biotic, i have what the board calls 'Advanced' Bitoics that are non mind wiped but still look like your typical biotic & i also have Biotics that look completely human, that are sometimes refered to on the forum as hidden
connecting the dots
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

In the my side of the Splicerverse I serve alongside two types of Biotics.
Volunteers that do not get mind-wiped and the conscripts that do.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

yeah, the standard biotic (the kind that are criminals, rebels, etc) get mindwiped and don't get to pick what modifications they get (and in general, modifications *will* be drastic).

advanced biotics (i think they're one of slappy's creations on the forums here) are usually pretty close, with maybe some small changes that can be easily disguised (antennae that can be hidden in hair, bio-e vents on the forearms that can be covered up with long-sleeved shirts, extra MDC, enhanced neural connection, etc) though some will go for extreme modifications as well.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

I use Standard Biotics.
Criminals are mindwiped IQ will be under 10.
Volenteers are not mindwiped. Their IQ can be any but most will be 10-12.

I also use my versions for the Metamorph Biotics.
I base the speed of transformation on their "level". Lvl 1, 1 minute. Lvl 2, 45 seconds Lvl 3, 30 seconds. Lvl 4, 15 seconds, Lvl 5 instant (one action).
My rational is simple. Splicers have access to Shapeshifter alien dna, they have at last unlocked the shapeshifting dna aspect. Using simple Energy to matter or Matter to energy is no problem, once you accept splaicers can HEAL at superspeeds with eating Tons of food, or being able to fire Energy Blasts such as bio-lasers, heat blasts, or Omega blasts also without the need to Dozens of tons of food to create the energy of those blasts. So the idea of Faster Shapeshifting is not a problem. My lvl limit however is how used to shapeshifting they are, and their control over it.

I also use the FORSAKEN from these boards. Not too sure of its origins, but it seems like to me, to be Biotic-varient in concept.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

I'm kicking around an idea for a campaign I'm running that will introduce the Metamorph OCC into the gene pools of the player's house. Reports of new host armors and what appear to be gore hounds have filtered back to the warlord and he will be sending a team to investigate. These are actually reports of Metamorphs in heir various forms and the machine has been capturing the bodies for further study. Getting DNA samples will require the team to break into a machine controlled laboratory and pilfer samples from the morgue.
If successful the house will then have something new to offer Biotics whom have proven their worth to the warlord, the possibility of a human form. This would be reserved for lesser criminals, e.g. people convicted of manslaughter, and those whom have volunteered for the process.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Ale Golem wrote:I'm kicking around an idea for a campaign I'm running that will introduce the Metamorph OCC into the gene pools of the player's house. Reports of new host armors and what appear to be gore hounds have filtered back to the warlord and he will be sending a team to investigate. These are actually reports of Metamorphs in heir various forms and the machine has been capturing the bodies for further study. Getting DNA samples will require the team to break into a machine controlled laboratory and pilfer samples from the morgue.
If successful the house will then have something new to offer Biotics whom have proven their worth to the warlord, the possibility of a human form. This would be reserved for lesser criminals, e.g. people convicted of manslaughter, and those whom have volunteered for the process.

Amazing storyline and backdrop scenario here! This is what I call incredible incorporation with epic rewards and development. Who knows what all the House platoons may find in such a machine's storage of Biotech treasures. This is a GREAT way to introduce all sorts of new concepts and Biotech to your Great House. A true Risk and reward scenario indeed.
Last edited by Premier on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Ale Golem wrote:Biotics are pretty cool, all the benefits of a Host Armor with the role playing potential of a Crazy and the range of appearance is fairly appearing as well. What place in society do your Biotics hold, are their enhancements outwardly apparent or do your houses opt for a more natural appearance such as easily hidden weapons, extra MDC and sight upgrades?

By all means Biotics have one of the most entertaining and innovative potentials in the setting. Certainly the fun of role playing such a bizzare or crazed character alone brings in & preserves the RPG playability value.

To answer your question: Wow, How do I answer it without giving away anything, hmm.. :wink:
Let s just say, I would vary Biotics within House society based on the Great House and their specific philosophies, stature and attitudes towards Biotics.

> Some Geat Houses may have a wonderul integration of Biotics within society and view Biotics as rehabilitated citizens who are awkward but warriors in the field nonetheless.

> Some Great Houses within the same region may have a segregated community(s) where Biotics remain among themselves and are policed a little more or a little less depending on the Houses internal haven structure, but have a sort of lottery or militia "request" as to who they want to take when they go out on missions.

> Some Great Houses may actually have a Biotics compound or are kept in Base Barracks where basically the Biotics dwell and practice and are sort of isolated from human society and or havens because of safety reasons, but the Biotics are called upon to join "service" when needed and in return they are cared for, nurtured, provided for via resources, food, air and protection.

> Some Biotics in Great Houses may be treated as experimental Super soldiers or Weapon X militia and under go various Librarian experimental Weapon X programs and the visuals of them are not horrific at all, but may be far more cool looking via to inspire volunteers and less conscripts that have to be mindwiped. "You no longer have to be a weakling in this cruel world of machines! You too can fight back ANYTIME and become an Ultra human! Join up now and fight along side the Resistance!" This type of campaigns would recruit many survivors, who have been scorn by the surface. Who wouldn't want to become a Mega dmaage warrior for the rest of their life in a harsh world where deadly machine and M.D. alien predators abound are are always trying to kill you? "When the Machine breaks into a haven or when alien predators infiltrate a haven who do you think nature favors, the pure unarmored or mega damage ready to survive warrior being?" This allows a Great House to utilize the skills of the volunteers. Or perhaps the Biotics from such Super Soldier Test programs (SST) are monsterous kamikaze concoctions and are used as a form of iron hand ruling in a warrior society to enforce the laws in which the House governs.

> Some Great Houses may have a Biotic hierachy structure based on performance, ability and reliability. The better you are and the more experienced you become, the more socialized and recognized you are; the higher in society & among the field militia ranks you become and the greater you are rewarded. No longer are you a grunt among Greener Biotics, but you can actually lead Roughnecks, Outriders, etc., and other militia (with the exception of Dreadguards) in the field and live among the rich once you return to your haven soceity and be revered as a heroe and treated like a high performance machine or sports celebrity.

These are five examples of how Biotics could be implemented within Great Houses and each Great House can utilize their own methods and structures to govern them all within the same Splicersverse, even within the same Region. This helps make for some great roleplaying opportunities and story buidling when you have some varations within Great Houses. This may develop into internal conflicts, cast tensions or unifications, riots, increase volunteers and Biotic support or AWOLs and recruitment.

Just my 2 cents as usual.
Last edited by Premier on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Yep, Biotics are great stories waiting to happen alright.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Biotics are great, but I cant stand random insanities that cant be treated in any way at all.
TechnoGothic
Knight

just pick the insanity you want to roleplay i say.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Ale Golem wrote:I'm kicking around an idea for a campaign I'm running that will introduce the Metamorph OCC into the gene pools of the player's house. Reports of new host armors and what appear to be gore hounds have filtered back to the warlord and he will be sending a team to investigate. These are actually reports of Metamorphs in heir various forms and the machine has been capturing the bodies for further study. Getting DNA samples will require the team to break into a machine controlled laboratory and pilfer samples from the morgue.

*Blows dust off* I knew I left an old plot line lying around here somewhere. It's been a couple years and I'm back in the Splicer mood, I was never able to run the last game... or any Splicer game yet.

TechnoGothic wrote:
boxee wrote:Biotics are great, but I cant stand random insanities that cant be treated in any way at all.
just pick the insanity you want to roleplay i say.

I think the random insanities are half the fun, you never know how your character will develop. It's great for the type of player whom doesn't plan ahead or have a specific character concept in mind.
phoenixget
D-Bee
Comment: GM'ing is for suckers! (Dammit, suckered again!)

Unread post by phoenixget »

Just wondering, can anyone [post a] link to the Metamorph or Hidden threads?
Shark_Force
Palladin

metamorph is not on the forums, it's in rifter #51 i think.

as for the hidden, i'm not sure... but i think advanced biotics are in the thread of slappy's creations, though i could be wrong about that.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

phoenixget
D-Bee
Comment: GM'ing is for suckers! (Dammit, suckered again!)

Unread post by phoenixget »

Sweet, thanks for the info guys!
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

In one of Chuck Walton's tales about the Violet Wave, the was several cameos by Pantherax Biotics, with feline features and visor eyes.

Could we expect other variations of Biotics, such as counter-TechoJacker and mineral based?
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

89er wrote:In one of Chuck Walton's tales about the Violet Wave, the was several cameos by Pantherax Biotics, with feline features and visor eyes.

Could we expect other variations of Biotics, such as counter-TechoJacker and mineral based?

Man..89er, You have such a keen memory and a wonderful habit of nailing ideas that I may have stumbled upon as well.

I want to get the Pantherax Biotics stated, as I do have an illustration for them, not to mention a few other Biotic templates to boot. More of them will be revealed shortly with the upcoming Unleashed articles.

Regarding counter Technojackers, :wink: , lets just see what you all say when you see the Mech-Hunters. Heck, there is so... much dealing with what is planned for TJs that I'm confident SPLICERS is going to soar in PB's IP franchising and sales.

As to Mineral based, nothing solid on that department as of yet,t o my knowledge. With Slappy and Galactus Kid, you never know what is cooking. I know Krispy and a few others were mentioning mineral based designs, so I am eager to see what they cook up.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

The house I'm planning to write up would use Biotics as the rank & file of the House, acting as low-level guards, security forces, infantry, and mostly moderate to heavy lifting (up to their PS limit); I see the sub-ranking like this--

The Punished: using the Biotic conversion as a punishment rather than executing them (dissidents, criminals, murderers, ect.), these are the lowest ranked in the Biotic forces. They are the first-line in any conflict, their memories altered only just so that they remember their crimes & the desire to redeem themselves or to serve their House. Few of this grade survive long (especially in the ongoing War against NEXUS), the rare ones that live long enough to receive distinction (such as command of a small platoon of lower Biotics) have their original names partially restored to the House archives with a notation of honor.

The Proven: Made up mostly of volunteers, captured/retrieved from destroyed Houses, and a few who feel they cannot serve their House in any other way, these Biotic are the next line in combat; veterans of a few sorties against the machine or other Houses, they apply their meager experiences to the situation to better serve their House. They retain their memories & most of their original personalities, and what names they have are also logged in the Archives with an appropriate measure of honor. Some of the Punished, seeking redemption, choose a Proven as a kind of example to motivate them. The Proven are the most displayed as the internal security forces, heavy laborers and infantry---especially when putting on a show for other houses.

The Damned: These are the lowest, the bottom of the pit or just under it, in the Biotic grades. Fully converted, minds wiped, ready for combat & death. Most are allowed to retain a small measure of personality, a ghost of what they were, along with a near-animalistic rage focused on the machine or the House's most dire of enemies. They are the cannon-fodder, often send into combat to die as a sacrifice to gain some measure of insight to the enemy's actions, the dirty-secret-that-everyone-knows-but-never-speaks-of. The names of whom they were is not noted, recorded or remembered, just that when the line "The forces of (House name)" appears in the Archives, it usually means The Damned.

Just a thought I had reading this thread.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Shark_Force
Palladin

the proven would likely be something along the lines of the "advanced biotic" OCC here on the boards somewhere. not 100% sure, but i think it was one of ectoplasmic bidet's creations...
BookWyrm
Champion

I'll find it later, thanks! :D
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

viewtopic.php?p=1747148#p1747148

a direct link to the advanced biotic post... I am on my phone otherwise it'd be a proper looking link.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
BookWyrm
Champion

Many thanks, Slight001. :D

After re-reading that, yes, I would agree that the Advanced Biotic would fit into the 'Proven' ranks of the Biotics in my House write up.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;

Return to “Splicers®”