Stray bullets

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Stray bullets

Unread post by mobuttu »

Do anybody has figured out some rules for stray bullets? I really don't know how to handle it, but I'd like to try something like this in my games. Any ideas? :?
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

If the player rolls a natural 1-4, the bullet misses and has a chance of hitting something behind the intended target.

Option 1: You could run that there is an X% chance of a stray bullet hitting a bystander or ricocheting. "X" varies depending on the size of the crowd or clutter behind the target. Also consider the possibility of the stray bullet ricocheting off something and hitting someone not directly behind the target.

Option 2: If the character misses and the bullet goes stray, have the character roll a D20 again. On a 1 it hits a bystander or ricochets off something behind the intended target.

This is one of the biggest reasons cops are trained to check their surroundings before they open fire on a suspect. Also note that bullets can usually travel for a mile-or-so after they've been fired, though I'm not sure on the specifics.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

Rali wrote:If the player rolls a natural 1-4, the bullet misses and has a chance of hitting something behind the intended target.

Option 1: You could run that there is an X% chance of a stray bullet hitting a bystander or ricocheting. "X" varies depending on the size of the crowd or clutter behind the target. Also consider the possibility of the stray bullet ricocheting off something and hitting someone not directly behind the target.

Option 2: If the character misses and the bullet goes stray, have the character roll a D20 again. On a 1 it hits a bystander or ricochets off something behind the intended target.

This is one of the biggest reasons cops are trained to check their surroundings before they open fire on a suspect. Also note that bullets can usually travel for a mile-or-so after they've been fired, though I'm not sure on the specifics.

it also misses if some how (juicer or super human ability) the target dodges then the question is who's behind him :D

stray fire is really use full to build story and really use full in HU when you want to make heroes look really bad and deflate a few palyer egos :D
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Rali wrote:Option 2: If the character misses and the bullet goes stray, have the character roll a D20 again. On a 1 it hits a bystander or ricochets off something behind the intended target.

I take option 2 with a "fine-tunning": roll a D20. On a 1 to X it hits a bystander, where X is the miss rolled number. For instance if the character (+1 WP) rolls a 11 on a wild shot (-6), totals a 6 (a miss). Then he rolls again and with a 1 to 6 on a d20 he hits a bystander, important furniture, etc. placed behind the intended target. What do you think?
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

This message has been moved to the GM's Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

mobuttu wrote:
Rali wrote:Option 2: If the character misses and the bullet goes stray, have the character roll a D20 again. On a 1 it hits a bystander or ricochets off something behind the intended target.

I take option 2 with a "fine-tunning": roll a D20. On a 1 to X it hits a bystander, where X is the miss rolled number. For instance if the character (+1 WP) rolls a 11 on a wild shot (-6), totals a 6 (a miss). Then he rolls again and with a 1 to 6 on a d20 he hits a bystander, important furniture, etc. placed behind the intended target. What do you think?

Depends on how cruel the GM wants to be :twisted:, but that could work too.

BTW, when I mentioned the "On a 1..." above, I was referring to a natural 1. Since this is a roll after the shot, no modifiers should be included (though a GM may want to allow bystanders to attempt to dodge the initial missed roll, or not).
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne

Return to “G.M.s Forum”