How do you run "At will" ?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

If something can use an ability "at will" does it use an action or not?

Yes, It uses an action like any other ability.
96%
No, At will abilities are special and do NOT use an action to invoke.
4%

Total votes: 28

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

How do you run "At will" ?

Unread post by Thinyser »

Basically if something can use an ability "at will" does it use an action or not?

Say you have a monster or godling or demigod etc. that has the pretty common ability to turn invisible at will. Can they use this ability without using an action or does the moment of concentration to enact the power count as an action?

I've already ruled in my games that it does use an action because I and my players agree that even though there is no motion involved in the act of using any at will power still requires conscious effort from the user which prevents them from doing other things while their concentration is focused on activating their at will ability.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: How do you run "At will" ?

Unread post by Bill »

Unless a maneuver or ability specifies that it does not require an action to use (trained parry, auto-dodge, etc.), with the exception of very simple skill checks, it requires an action. On a case by case basis, I would be willing to discuss other totally effortless effects being free to perform.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I take at will to mean no limitations on duration or cost. So IMO invisible at will take an action to adjust from visible (and then vice versa back for another action) but can be maintained indefinitely with no PPE/ISP/Chi/body investment etc.

On a side note I consider at will abilities like the above to be maintained throughout unconsciousness or coma (maybe death?? not sure on that one) but thats open for opinions too.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

It seems I voted in good company!

I interpret "at will" to mean there is no obvious tell that it is going to happen and no predetermined limit to its duration, unless the effect is instant like damage or teleport (again, in good company it seems). :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Well it seems we have a consensus of opinion.

In Palladium unless it says it doesn't take an action, everything you may want to do takes an action. Looking at your watch to check the time takes an action, opening a door takes an action, identifying what smells so good takes an action. Every conscious thing you do (and some sub- conscious things) takes an action.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Palladium products are also GM has final say games, so it's a free action if the GM says so.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

I'm rather surprised that there is no debate here. I thought for sure that there would be some arguments for at will abilities to be used w/o using an action.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I guess it's one of those rare cases where the game rules are actually pretty straight-forward.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

So how do people handle bio-regeneration? Does it cost an action or is it free?

This is particularly important for creatures that can regenerate each melee like vampires.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

flatline wrote:So how do people handle bio-regeneration? Does it cost an action or is it free?

This is particularly important for creatures that can regenerate each melee like vampires.

--flatline

I guess as long as it doesn't say you bio-regenerate "at will" or that you need to enter a healing trance its free. ;-)

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The Bio-Regeneration psionic powers use an action. A creature that heals a set amount after a set period of time does so automatically at the end of that time.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Glistam wrote:The Bio-Regeneration psionic powers use an action. A creature that heals a set amount after a set period of time does so automatically at the end of that time.

This.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Bill wrote:
Glistam wrote:The Bio-Regeneration psionic powers use an action. A creature that heals a set amount after a set period of time does so automatically at the end of that time.

This.
agreed
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

It can depend at times for me, but generally speaking, it is not an action to activate, I generally limit it to toggling them once per action if required.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Bill wrote:Unless a maneuver or ability specifies that it does not require an action to use (trained parry, auto-dodge, etc.), with the exception of very simple skill checks, it requires an action. On a case by case basis, I would be willing to discuss other totally effortless effects being free to perform.

This is the correct answer.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

flatline wrote:So how do people handle bio-regeneration? Does it cost an action or is it free?

--flatline

Bio-regeneration the psionic power explicitly needs a healing trance that must be actived.

natural bio-regeneration, such as "heals 1d4*10 MDC per hour", is natural and constant. it need not be activated, it is simply it's healing rate
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “G.M.s Forum”