split group - technical question

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

split group - technical question

Unread post by arouetta »

Due to a party reboot, I have an almost whole new group. Tonight we got together to roll up characters. Half the group is sitting around the table with me, half the group is 75 miles away on roll20.net.

The players far away are having a problem with echoing sound. And while they can pick me up pretty clearly, they are having a harder time hearing the other players unless they are practically sitting in my lap (and able to see around the game shield).

Is there a special type of microphone that I could buy and put in the middle of the table that would pick up everyone's voice evenly without echoing? Or what else could be done to allow for all voices to carry? Everything I've seen to improve sound quality involves a headset, and that's just not possible (there's at most 2 computers for 4 people, and we're not sure 1 computer meets the technical requirements).

I've never run a split group before, never run an internet group before, so I'm really dumb with all this.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: split group - technical question

Unread post by Natasha »

Yes. Look for “conference microphones”.
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: split group - technical question

Unread post by arouetta »

Natasha wrote:Yes. Look for “conference microphones”.

Thanks. :)

Return to “G.M.s Forum”