So lets write a book.

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fubarius
Explorer

So lets write a book.

Unread post by Fubarius »

So I was reading through the Palladium Internet Policy (link HERE) and unless my legalese is really lacking it looks like it's perfectly acceptable for us as a group to write an entire suppliment book and have it free for download (if I'm wrong please delete this thread, thank you).

So lets get brainstorming. I say we treat this like an offical suppliment book, maybe even included permission for Palladium to print it, free of charge, if they so desire.

So first we need a setting. Something to fill in after "Mutants _____".

A few possible ideas that came to me include Mutants of the Midwest, Mutants in the Deep South, Mutants of the Nuclear Wasteland (or just Mutants of the Wasteland), or whatever. Toss out your ideas and we'll decide later, have a vote or something. And if someone suggests something that might official be in the works somewhere as a potential project, please let me know and I'll try to keep it off the voting lists.

After that's done we'll work on setting descriptions, changes in the area from before the crash, interesting tid-bits about the setting, prominent NPCs and organizations, etc.

Then we'll swtich to mechanics. New setting specific backgrounds and apprenticeships (and how new backgrounds and apprenticeships would fit into the core setting of AtB). Possible new psionics. New skills. New mutant abilities and vestigial dissadvantages. And so on.

Next will be new mutants. That should be easy, we have plenty of good ones aready written up in the stickies. We just need to pick ones that are setting appropriate (or are missing from the core book).

And then we'll do the finishing touches. Gear and equipment, lesser NPC's, maybe a Hook, Line, Sinker adventure or two.

And finally editing, spelling and grammer (er, grammar, obviously I'm not the guy for the job here), formatting, and converting to .pdf format. I have some hosting space, but as manny mirrors as possible would be great.

Now don't go jumping the gun and start tossing out gear and adventures now before we even have a setting and title. We need that FIRST. So lets hear those suggestions!

And a little disclaimer on my parts. Even though I came up with this thread, I am no way claiming this project as Mine. I fully expect others to take over in areas where I'm not particularly proficient. Heck I might just get bored with it and only pop in from time to time. So feel free to jump in and take over where needed. Just so long as you stick to the official Internet Policy.

Thank you for your time.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

Lets get rolling, here are some ideas:

Mutants of the Sprawl: a sourcebook for running campaings set whithin the a huge destroyed city, with rules for fighting among the destroyed buildings, where a mutant/human alliance are trying to save what they can of their city while being attacked by various gangs of roving mutants.

Mutants of War: salvagers accidentaly unleash upon the world a whole army of especially engineered combat mutants, who immediatly begin creating their own kingdom, wagging war on its neighbors.
This was the basis for one of the camapings I was running until I lost all opf the files during a HD crash.

Mutants of the Plains: just a book detailing the Plains of Free Cattle, with some major players, tirbes and affiliations.
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"
Fubarius
Explorer

Mephisto wrote:Midwest None the Richer

The Prairie Dog Emporium is really fleecing the Plains of Free Cattle, to the point where they in dire financial straits. The usually disjointed and tribal Plains of Free Cattle decide they need to get their wits together, and go on a search for the Prairie Dog Emporium to regather the riches that they lost.

From the AtB maps the Prairie Dog Emporium seemed more southwest really. I need to dig out my AtB2 and read up on that a bit more. Soneone should really flesh out a full north american map too.

Juankis wrote:Mutants of the Plains: just a book detailing the Plains of Free Cattle, with some major players, tirbes and affiliations.

Personally I'm really starting to like the sound of a Free Cattle sourcebook. Their terriory stretches nearly from coast to coast yet we barely get any info on them.

Tons of adventure ideas too. With their extreme anti-human attitudes you can cast the Free Cattle as either protagonists or antagonist. Either protecting their lands from EoH incursion, or raiding boarder towns which might be hiding the few remaining endangered humans not part of the EoH.

Give the book a Native American/Wild West feel to it (gunslinger apprenticeship, nomatic backgrounds, oh yeah), maybe add a little Native American mysticism. Deffinatly some good possibilities here.

Juankis wrote:Mutants of the Sprawl:a sourcebook for running campaings set whithin the a huge destroyed city, with rules for fighting among the destroyed buildings, where a mutant/human alliance are trying to save what they can of their city while being attacked by various gangs of roving mutants.

I like this one too. I was about to add this one to my suggestions 8)

Lets get a few more and make a poll.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

Mephisto wrote:Reply by Mephisto:
I like the idea of a wild west feel, with gunslingers, but more based on posses and land/food rights. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not too thrilled to have magic introduced into ATB (I know it's there, but I don't like it). The idea of mutant bulls being called "cattle rustlers" has a bit of amusing irony to it. Since most of the Plains of Free Cattle are composed of nomadic tribes of cattle and buffalo, it wouldn't be surprising at all to have random movement tables, and each group in the Plains could run the gamut of noble to hostile.

A wild west style would fit, just have to get the archytypes right and use the appropiate stereotypes, the "cowboys" (pun intended and enforced)would be seen as heroic figures protecting their less evolved kin from predators and slavers, the cattle rustlers will be extremely demonized as slavers and people willing to litterally sell their own mothers for profit.

We could do mysticism, but as Mephisto said, lets keep magic away, maybe increase the variety of psychic powers to represent it or something else, just not magic. Also Natve American styled mysticism is the province of the wolf clans, which in classical western movie style, they could be used to represent the "Injuns" out on the warpath for some cowboy's scalp.

Politically speaking I see the tribes seprated along species, horses, cows, etc. Each tribe would be divided into clans by race/breed, the different outllooks of each tribe/clan would help determine their status mong the loose affiliation of the plains.
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

For the Mutants of the Sprawl I was thinking a city based in the desgins of the Tokyo Sky City.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engineering/skycity/interactive/interactive.html

Where the forces trying to hold the city are fortified in the upper levles while the lower level are in various states of chaos.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Mutants of Atlantis:

Essentially using the seas as a sourcebook. Underwater colonies long abandoned by man, but now filled (perhaps too full) with their mutant legacy. Islands, natural and man made (look at Dubai for instance) not to mention coastal cities now flooded/semi flooded.
Mutant fish species, and the amphibious mutants as well as sea mammals. Monsters of the deep (man made, mutant or other)

you get the picture.

and I love mutants of the sprawl.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist

Unread post by Guest »

duck-foot wrote:we need nuclear fallout rules too. i hate the fact that atb doesnt have them
Just modify the rules from Warlords of Russia.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Mutants of the Midwest: Free Plains
This would cover the 'lost' info about the Plains of Free Cattle, The Prairie Dog Imperium, the human tribes still living in semi-harmony with them (I would gladly contribute an idea to this), & the status of whatevers left there (some partially-intact urban areas, infrastructure, the Mid-West Americorp, ect.)

Road Hogs II: The Revenge
(yes, it's a cheezy title)
Reprints/updates everything from the first Road Hogs, plus more on vehicles. Some towns have salvaged & gotten some of the old aircraft museum pieces (WW2 through VietNam Era planes & helicopters)functioning into a noteworthy airforce.

Mutants of the Sprawls
I like this idea. Combine with 'Mutants of the Wastelands' about the 'abandoned' cities & 'poisoned' (nuked/diseased) areas where only the brave (or foolish?) dare to tread.

Mutants Abroad series (maybe like the Rifts Adventure sb's?)
Yucatan: Reprint & Update
Central & South America: Yes
Asia 1: Yes, combines/updates info on India & Asia Major
Asia 2: Yes, combines info on Japan, Australia (Australasia?) & Micronesia
Africa: YES!
Europe: Mutants of Avalon, updated.
The Poles: Expands on hints given in AtB2.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
BookWyrm
Champion

I'm with ya, Meph.

A while back, I toyed with an idea for "Retro-Humans", decedent tribes of Neo-Luddite humans who turned their back on most technology after the EGG became commercially available. This large group split off into 3 main tribes; the Top-Knots (latter-day Native American-style humans, mostly usuing some technology & the majority having Telepathic Transmission to communicate), the Blood-Eyes (savage, primitive humanoids who have fanged shark-like teeth & act like Neanderthal Man did....perfect for NPC baddies) & a third tribe to be named/fleshed out later.

The Top-Knots, who sported a samurai-like hairstyle, were tolerated by the Free Cattle Councils because they didn't use technology to harm their surroundings. The Blood-Eyes are almost extinct, but still a problem: there's usually a bounty-like 'kill-limit' (the mutant-decendents of deer like this & pushed it into law, seeing it as payback for pre-Death deer-hunting).
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

I like the idea of the human "retro" tribes. But their peaceful coexistance between them and the tribes of Free Cattle does seem to clash too much with the background. Maybe if they are only tolerated by some pof the more libeally minded clans instead of the whole "nation", who would still persecute them as they would any other human.
- Mahatma Gandhi
BookWyrm
Champion

Juankis wrote:I like the idea of the human "retro" tribes. But their peaceful coexistance between them and the tribes of Free Cattle does seem to clash too much with the background. Maybe if they are only tolerated by some pof the more libeally minded clans instead of the whole "nation", who would still persecute them as they would any other human.

Yes, Juankis. The Top-Knots are tolerated because they show an equal reverance to nature as do the Free Plains government, plus they cooperate with the FC authorities when trouble shows up. In general, they are seen as 2nd class citizens (at best), but the existence of the Blood-Eyes makes things a little strained. The Blood-Eyes tend to hunt both FC mutants and humans, so this gives them a uniting point.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Fubarius
Explorer

Keep up the good work people. Lots of great ideas.

Let's see, it's Tueday now, I think I'll give it two more days before posting the poll for the 'official' book theme. So last chance people, lets here those ideas for themes! The poll goes up Thursday night and lasts until the following Monday. That should give everyone a chance to vote.
David Johnson
aka Fubarius
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

Iczer wrote:Mutants of Atlantis:

Essentially using the seas as a sourcebook. Underwater colonies long abandoned by man, but now filled (perhaps too full) with their mutant legacy. Islands, natural and man made (look at Dubai for instance) not to mention coastal cities now flooded/semi flooded.
Mutant fish species, and the amphibious mutants as well as sea mammals. Monsters of the deep (man made, mutant or other)

I also like this idea except for the name, maybe somethig like "Mutants at Sea" or "Mutants of the Waves". Besides the information for the ocean colonies and mutated fish, we could add the archtypical pirates and expanded boat building rules like in Road Hogs.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

I must insist that a book on Free Cattle should pay homage to this song

Cows With Guns
Last edited by Juankis on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Unread post by Guest »

Juankis wrote:
Iczer wrote:Mutants of Atlantis:

I also like this idea except for the name, maybe somethig like "Mutants at Sea" or "Mutants of the Waves". Besides the information for the ocean colonies and mutated fish, we could add the archtypical pirates and expanded boat building rules like in Road Hogs.

What, you mean like this? http://www.geocities.com/kuseru/Boat_Co ... _Rules.htm

(See Also viewtopic.php?t=66853 and viewtopic.php?t=70705 )
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Mephisto wrote:
Fubarius wrote:
Mephisto wrote:Midwest None the Richer

The Prairie Dog Emporium is really fleecing the Plains of Free Cattle, to the point where they in dire financial straits. The usually disjointed and tribal Plains of Free Cattle decide they need to get their wits together, and go on a search for the Prairie Dog Emporium to regather the riches that they lost.

From the AtB maps the Prairie Dog Emporium seemed more southwest really. I need to dig out my AtB2 and read up on that a bit more. Soneone should really flesh out a full north american map too.

Reply by Mephisto:
Well upon re-reading Road Hogs, on page 27 it says: "The Prarie Dog Emporium is a strict religious community, deriving their beliefs from pre-Death Quakers and Mormons. They are anti-technology, but not pacificistic, and they maintain a huge, if undisciplined, army of 'believers.' In recent years, there have been rumours of wars between the Prarie Dogs and the Free Cattle to the north and east."

Now taking that excerpt, and the map on the back of the book, it seems to me most of the battles would be taking place in Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa and Missouri. Unless someone else has a differing opinion or another piece of text I missed.

And I love the skills in Road Hogs; Flamenco Dancing, Play Spanish Guitar, W.P. Quick Draw and W.P. Buffalo Rifle are my favorites.
If the PE really is based on Mormon beliefs (i fail to see how Quakers could be on their radar at all...oh well). They would certainly fight for Missouri. They would probably see it as their "promised land". BTW, when i was a kid i always thought it kinda cool that my religion was specifically mentioned as surviving the "Bomb".
acreRake
Hero

Also, just to throw out another idea to put in a Free Cattle Book:

In the description of La Segunta Pregunta (i think that's what it's called) it talks about soldiers that are obviously from somewhere else, a powerful country or organization that seems to be the power behind the nation.

In my own game, i established this to be Armadillo Texas [no comma] (where Amarillo used to be, of course). Where, thanks to abundant helium (in my version of history, still well over a billion cubic meters being kept at the Cliffside Storage Facility), i was able to make use of the lighter-than-air vehicles from MDU.

So: aerial superiority combined with a stereotypically large amount of firearms to be had in Texas, plus the natural hardiness of the armadillos and viola! Instant superpower. (at least compared to the Cattle, the Preguntans :erm: and the Prairie Dogs)

Unread post by Guest »

acreRake wrote:Also, just to throw out another idea to put in a Free Cattle Book:

In the description of La Segunta Pregunta (i think that's what it's called) it talks about soldiers that are obviously from somewhere else, a powerful country or organization that seems to be the power behind the nation.
They, it's called Imperial Mexico, and it's detailed in Mutants of the Yucatan.
acreRake
Hero

Mephisto wrote:How exactly do Mormon's see Missouri as their promised land? It would make for an interesting subplot to the conflict between the Plains of Free Cattle (since I've started an outline for how envision the "empire" to work) and the Prairie Dog Emporium. I don't think the PDE would be "ardent" believers though, any more than most extremists. But I'm sure you could also set up for schizms within the Prairie Dog Emporium in the same way that the Plains of Free Cattle would hardly be united.
I agree that whatever the P-Dogs believe, it's going to be pretty different than what we/i do...

Basically, Mormons believe Missouri is where Zion will be built, according to Joseph Smith. In the 1830's they tried to build it but conflict arose and they were eventually forcefully driven from the state (the governor ordered them to be "exterminated"). When i lived in Missouri people used to tell me that it was still legal to shoot a Mormon on sight until the '70s (though i'm not sure that's true).

Also, check out this map for sites in that area important to Mormons (#1, 4 & 7 especially).

For a summery from the Mormon point of view (the only one relevant to a discussion of what the PDE would think...i'm talking to you potential flamers :P ): Missouri’s Impact on the Church, By Max H Parkin
Last edited by acreRake on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
acreRake
Hero

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:They, it's called Imperial Mexico, and it's detailed in Mutants of the Yucatan.
:-? i know LSP is part of Imperial Mexico, but on page 37 of MotY it reprints the same enigmatic statements from RH:

"Whether this is an independent state or simply part of a larger government is unknown. Certainly, visitors have seen officers in uniforms that are similar to, but unlike, those of the Pregunta soldiers."

Maybe it's just sloppy editing that should have pointed out that the unknown presence in LSP is Imperial Mexico (e.g. letting us know that they are IM uniforms, because any character from the Yucatan and traveling north would realize that), but it doesn't. So i used that mystery to fill in with my own ideas. Isn't that why they put stuff like that in there in the first place?

Unread post by Guest »

acreRake wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:They, it's called Imperial Mexico, and it's detailed in Mutants of the Yucatan.
:-? i know LSP is part of Imperial Mexico, but on page 37 of MotY it reprints the same enigmatic statements from RH:

"Whether this is an independent state or simply part of a larger government is unknown. Certainly, visitors have seen officers in uniforms that are similar to, but unlike, those of the Pregunta soldiers."

Maybe it's just sloppy editing that should have pointed out that the unknown presence in LSP is Imperial Mexico (e.g. letting us know that they are IM uniforms, because any character from the Yucatan and traveling north would realize that), but it doesn't. So i used that mystery to fill in with my own ideas. Isn't that why they put stuff like that in there in the first place?
Standard cut and paste strikes again!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Looks like I’ve missed the boat on the poll, but here’s my opinion anyway:

Firstly, I think it would be a bit pointless just revising the old books. So many people on the boards have already done sterling work revising all the animal types to use the new rules; there is simply no need for any more work on these. Presumably there would be little or no change to the descriptive information, so if the only changes were to update NPC stats and update backgrounds etc., then I think there are more useful and interesting things to tackle.

My first reaction was to do something in a part of the world outside of North America, which I felt has had plenty of attention paid to it already. My feelings were that the Plains of the Free Cattle were merely mostly empty, and roving bands of the Free Cattle were simple enough an idea not to need any specific write up.

My suggestion was to do an area such as South-East Asia: For a start, it opens up the possibility to do a number of new local mutant animal types that haven’t been done before (maybe steal a few from the existing sourcebooks). The area includes a variety of environments to explore: jungles, mountains, seas, more jungles, and islands of varying types. A completely new setting gives us free range to invent new backgrounds, skills etc. I imagined the islands of the Philippines, Indonesia etc. and the seas around them would provide the ‘sea world’ loving ATB fans with a possibility to insert their ideas here. I personally liked the idea of a mutant animal pirates setting – not very original, but you’ve got to admit it would be cool. It also enables us to include and expand on the Jakartans of ATB Australia, without just doing a rehash of that book. And without inventing yet another ‘Human supremacist technologically advanced state with loyal following of one particular species of animal’ to be the main antagonist. Its proximity to Australia also enables us to expand on some of the other things in that book, such as where the Hong Kong Dollars come from (not Hong Kong, apparently), and the mysterious Black Sailed Ships.

HOWEVER, after reading all of your input I have completely changed my mind! I think that an online ‘Plains of the Free Cattle’ book would be the best one for a group of fans to collaborate on. The fact that it fills in the gap in North America is a good thing, as it builds upon already existing information, which would make it easier to work together on than a completely new setting, where people may be pushing conflicting ideas (too many cooks spoil the broth and all that). It also enables us to update some of the Road Hogs information, but in a new setting. The vehicle creation rules would be at least as relevant in a Free Cattle setting, as I believe that many of the nomad Cattle ‘tribes’ (is that the right word?) use vehicles (correct me if I’m wrong – years ago, in the first edition, I had assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the Free Cattle wandered around on foot/hoof, but some comments and pictures in the new edition led me to think that they are mostly on wheels). The revised animals from Road Hogs that people have done would also be relevant in this setting. If people want, it may be possible to include the descriptive Road hogs information as an addition to the Free Cattle book, or just referred to and expanded on where relevant.

Also, I don’t see why some of the other ideas can’t be included in the Plains of the Free Cattle anyway. ‘Mutants of the Wasteland’ or ‘Mutants of the Sprawl’ could be set in one areas of the Free Cattle. Perhaps the Sprawl could be one of the big pre-death cities of old Texas. I personally saw Texas as being a bit more inhabited anyway, perhaps with a few industrial mutant towns centred around old oil fields. If there are a lot of contributors to the book, some could be working on these ideas while others work on the plains etc.

I like some of the other ideas people have already touted for the area, including a possible wild west feel for some areas etc. There is no need to introduce nasty magic into ATB – simply give tribal shamans psychic powers, we already have those. Maybe they need to use some rituals or objects to properly access some of their powers, a bit like a psi-mechanic. And ‘Cow-boys’ is the best idea for an O.C.C. ever, and ‘Armadillo Texas’ is the best name for a town ever.

Sticking with North America also leaves open the easy introduction of ideas for new backgrounds and skills already created by Rali and others, without having to tailor them for a new setting. And there is also plenty of room for expansion from the initial Free Plains setting once that has been taking care of: into the Deep South and all the way to Florida or the Caribbean (maybe expansion on Gatorland, Yehcat etc.), or North to central Canada and possible conflict with ‘the Plains of the Free Moose’.

That’s what I think anyway.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re: So lets write a book.

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

this is awesome. did anything ever come of it? are there finished products to be shared??
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”