Power armor 3d models

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drachton

Power armor 3d models

Unread post by drachton »

Hey all.

edit:
Ok, so it's been almost three months since my last post, and I finally have something new to show. See the work-in-progress page here.

Still left to do:
    attach the head to the torso (!)
    redo the claw on the pulse cannon
    model the hand on the left arm
    probably model something else for the elbow, even though that's how it looks in the ref picture
    shoulder missle + jetpack
    texturing (ugh, gonna be painful)

I'll post again when I have made further progress.

Original post:
I picked up 3d modelling as a hobby some time ago, and I have two things I thought might be of interest to the people on this forum.

#1: Glitter Boy wallpaper (1024x768)
I never did complete the complete GB power armor, but I did do the helmet, and I used it as a wallpaper for a while. Maybe some here will like it.
edit: Glitter Boy wallpaper (1600x1200)

#2: Triax Predator power armor (work in progress)
I'm still working on this from time to time, when I have time to kill. Should be done with it in... at this rate, about a year. ;)

Anyway, comments welcome. :)

Bye,

Phil
Last edited by drachton on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Nicely done! I was playing with some 3d modeling and animation for awhile and thought about trying some power armor or something, but decided I wasn't good enough and don't really mess with it anymore.

PigLick
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

First of all, welcome to the boards. Always good to see a new face! :D

And as to your work there, all I can say is NICE!!! I look forward to seeing the final product next Christmas. :ok:
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

thats some dam nice work :ok:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

the chest of the predator is a little flat.
Other than that though its rad. Be sure to post the finished product!
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

I has found a new precious, my precious :? ring ? what ring ? we don't needs the stinking ring, we haves new precious.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..I use Poser 4.0.2. I don't actually create models, rather I manipulate them to make what I want.

..It uses .obj, .pz3 and .3ds format models, gazillions of which can be found free on the net.

..Anyone remember the CCG card with the Titan Power Armor? Lightwave Graphics had the model for Poser in .pz3 format free for download for some time, but I'm guessing they pulled it for legal reasons relating to the Movie deal.

..When I get a new faster computer I'll be able to do some stuff with it. Right now it takes me way too long to render the darned thing.

..I've got render, but my webspace is full and not letting me access anything right now...

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
drachton

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'll awaken this thread whenever I have something worthwhile to show (next step should be the complete Predator PA -- I'm working on the arm-mounted cannon, and I don't expect any difficulty modelling the legs). Next will be the propulsion system, and then texturing. I was kidding when I said I expected to be done next year, but it still will take some time because I have to give priority to school -- naturally.

BTW, I updated the first post with a 1600x1200 version of the glitter boy wallpaper, as requested by Shadow_otm. It's not identical to my 1024x768 version, because although it's the same 3D model, the composition and post-processing were done with the gimp, and that's not automated, i.e. I tweaked it until I thought it looked good, so I couldn't get 100% identical results. But I think this version looks just as good anyway.

Again, thanks for the kind comments, will post more as I make progress.

Bye,

Phil
SycophantNagaraja
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by SycophantNagaraja »

Madmanmike:

You mean this one? :)

http://www.giovanni-wod.net/images/titan2.jpg

I downloaded this a long time ago from Renderosity. And I never thought I'd find a fellow Poser artist here in the Palladium forums.

here's my gallery:
http://prophetx.deviantart.com

or the older one at

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?B ... =GiovanniX

As for the above renders: Very nice! Only wish there was more Rifts related 3d content online
MADMANMIKE

SycophantNagaraja wrote:Madmanmike:

You mean this one? :)

http://www.giovanni-wod.net/images/titan2.jpg

I downloaded this a long time ago from Renderosity. And I never thought I'd find a fellow Poser artist here in the Palladium forums.

here's my gallery:
http://prophetx.deviantart.com

or the older one at

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?B ... =GiovanniX

As for the above renders: Very nice! Only wish there was more Rifts related 3d content online

..I've found tons of great stuff at Renderosity. Love the site. Great art there, don't think I'm quite in that league. More of a Dabbler.

..Back in the dark ages when I was in High School I found out quick that teachers don't bug you when you're writing like they do when you're drawing, so I switched gears to write.

..Still got the art bug, just not much skill.

..I'm still stuck on my old 400MHz G3 iMac with a measely 10GB hard drive. I went with the DVD drive instead of the CDRW, so I have no viable way to back up my stuff with out dropping a chunk of change.

..But the tax return is on the way and after the Hawaii trip is paid off, I'm getting a Powerbook. Couple of airport cards and I'm good to go.

..Recently took advantage of the free Michael 3.0 download, and used the coupons they sent me for buying Victoria 3.0 and her morph packs to buy his morph pack. I'm about to pop for a Platinum Club membership so I can buy $400 worth of models for around $70....

..My original intent with buying Poser was to storyboard comics, but that's gotten away from me....

-Mike <8]
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
SycophantNagaraja
Dungeon Crawler

Check into Daz Studio as well. It's a free download from DAZ3d and it's pretty good. Not the best but for some things it's actually superior to Poser 4.

Thats the bummer with Macs :) I picked my CDRW for a dirt cheap price from Frys Electronics (aka Outpost.com online) but my PC is a regular IBM compatable.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Very nice stuff. And welcome to the boards. :)

The BG head is missing the 'grill' under the eye slits, but then, I guess that it's a work in progress.

The Predator PA looks really great. :)

Do you guys remember there used to be a poster who did some 3d graphics of some of the weapons out of the RMB?? I only saw a few, but they were looking great too. Wonder what happened to him.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
SycophantNagaraja
Dungeon Crawler

If I was to give a tip to someone wanting to try Poser 4/5 or Daz Studio (I'd try Daz Studio over Poser 5 for a beginner any day) is to pay attention to the props you are downloading.

That will solve most of the problems in getting the clothes to fit right. If the file says it's for David or for Michael 3 or Victoria 3, then match it up with that figure.

Daz Studio even made it easy by either auto loading it to the figure or just use the provided selection of "fit to.."
MADMANMIKE

SycophantNagaraja wrote:If I was to give a tip to someone wanting to try Poser 4/5 or Daz Studio (I'd try Daz Studio over Poser 5 for a beginner any day) is to pay attention to the props you are downloading.

That will solve most of the problems in getting the clothes to fit right. If the file says it's for David or for Michael 3 or Victoria 3, then match it up with that figure.

Daz Studio even made it easy by either auto loading it to the figure or just use the provided selection of "fit to.."

..Daz Studio looks pretty tight, I linked it in my dogboy render thread. I don't have OS X though, so it wouldn't do me any good right now. It took me a while to learn Poser, but once I did I started to enjoy it.

-Mike >8]
drachton

Hey everyone,

I finally found the time to work some more on my Triax Predator PA. See first post for details, or jump right away to my work-in-progress page to look at the pics.

See you (next time I update the thing ;-)),

Phil
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

drachton wrote:Hey everyone,

I finally found the time to work some more on my Triax Predator PA. See first post for details, or jump right away to my work-in-progress page to look at the pics.

See you (next time I update the thing ;-)),

Phil

That is pretty freakin sweet.
:fool:
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Cool! Like!
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

They Very good work... :ok: :ok:
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

Excellent choice of PAs to model. I can't wait to see that bad boy textured (or should I say "weathered"). Next I'm expecting an Old Style SAMAS. Who's with me!?
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com
drachton

Jesterzzn, Aequitas, Alpha 11 and Rimmerdal: Thanks, guys. :-)

Puuh: You're right about the chest not looking as bulky as in the ref. picture. Maybe I'll try scaling it up to see which way I like better.

Jaquar Wong: Thanks. Re: SAMAS, would you be satisfied with a Spider-Skull Walker? I was planning on finishing modelling on the Predator and GB armors, and then moving on to some of the more exotic-looking bots and APC's. :-) BTW, had a look at your site, some great looking lineart you've got there, and congrats on getting published in the Rifter.
Brian Manning
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: I'm the King of Rock, There is none higher!
Sucka MC's should call me sire!

Unread post by Brian Manning »

Aww, I guess the Skull Walker will do. Should be easy enough for you if you're already doing this stuff. You really gotta show us the finals of the other two, though. I would love to see that Predator modeled in some battle scenes. It's my favorite PA next to the original SAM.

Thanks for checking the site out. Maybe someday I'll be able to keep it up to date and put more of my brother's stuff on there as well (since he's too lazy to set up his own site).

It's in serious need of an update and redesign (the design that's up there now was for something I was doing for another company that didn't use it, so I slapped it up there when I finally got a site together).
Artwork • Social Media • Writing • Shenanigans
Brian-Manning.com

Return to “Rifts®”