What is an object

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

What is an object

Unread post by eliakon »

So discussion elsewhere.
RUE page 189 says "Non-Living Objects do not get saves".
Seems simple enough.
But then we get the optional Robot RCC.

Do these really not get saves?
as I read it...
all type 3 do not
all type 4 start with out but some become alive and get them.

Basically...
are non-living characters objects?
if not what is the line between "object" and "not object"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
darthauthor
Hero

Re: What is an object

Unread post by darthauthor »

This reminds me of a few other games.

Recently played the sim game Stellaris.
Robot character died of old age.
A ROBOT died of old AGE!

Star Wars has droid characters.
Jedi Mind Tricks and what not are not supposed to work on them.
They don't get force points for dice roll boosts.
Yet they are playable characters.
On the plus side they are never supposed to need to eat, sleep, get tired or sick.
Then there is the whole thing about inhibitory chips. So does my droid get to shoot a guy or not.

So, the way I usually operate about it as a GM is, if it is the player character or the characters prized possession (lightsaber, etc.), they get a save.
It is not consistent.
Its a game.
That's why.

Sort of Rule 1:
Have FUN (unless the player is bullying the other players).

Rule 2:
Play fair.

Most playes don't seem to mind much when it is unfair for the villians or NPCs only themselves and perhaps fellow group members.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

eliakon wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:31 pm ...snip
Basically...
mundane ones...yes.
sn ones...no

So this means robot chars don't get a saving throw vs magic. (note: read up on the telemachanics rules)
but it means vampires and zombies do get a saving throw vs magic.
--------------
Another way of looking at it, for house rules, is that ALL PCs and NPCs get a saving throw because they as characters.
---------------
As to robot characters expiring of old age.....unless the character can transfer into a new housing (computer brain and other new body parts) then they are going to wear out. just as biologics do. Just at different rates as flesh and blood people.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
dethbegins
D-Bee
Comment: Welcoming everyone is a great goal, but keeping them engaged and entertained... Now that's one hell of a challenge!

Unread post by dethbegins »

The way I rule it players do not count as "objects" and entity that moves and is capable of interaction is considered an "active object", an active object is treated similarly to that of a NPC and are by all extensive purposes treated as one by the rules. However, if you want to play a bit rough, you can make them roll a flat save, or simply have them resist it with a negative modifier. Either way, it feels fairer, and makes some races less of an end all be all for player options.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

eliakon wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:31 pm So discussion elsewhere.
RUE page 189 says "Non-Living Objects do not get saves".
Seems simple enough.
But then we get the optional Robot RCC.

Do these really not get saves?
as I read it...
all type 3 do not
all type 4 start with out but some become alive and get them.

Basically...
I think for player purposes the Robot RCC would get to roll for a save, but that does not mean they get any bonuses (flat roll) though it could also feature components that could offer some protection for a bonus (this isn't without precedent, there are examples of objects that seem to act as a "mind block" for non-living objects, for example you can't learn the truth about the Sunji ((sp?)) in WB2 by object reading their armor).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I get that there is a desire to grant a robot a saving throw.
But I am trying to parse out what the RAW, not what the R0 fix is.
RAW it seems to me that unless your a type4 Robot that has "become alive" as some are said to do... your not alive.
And as a not-alive thing your a non-livining object and don't get a save...
...which would help explain the Skelebot Graveyards and the like.

The question of if undead are "non-living" is rather subtly different. I tend to think that, for a rules purpose they are "effectively alive" as we know that many of them have spirits of some sort (or are a spirit). We see this with Vampires, but we are told in several other cases stuff like "binding the spirit to the body" or the like. Having a spirit/soul would to me make a solid case for being classed as "its life Jim, but not as we know it".
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Basically it comes down to 'no soul, no save', and 'has soul, has save'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”