Magic Net vs Telekinetic Force Field

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Magic Net vs Telekinetic Force Field

Unread post by darthauthor »

Magic Net (7 PPE) vs Telekinetic Force Field (30 ISP)

So If a Atlantis slaver operation cast Magic Net on a player character with Telekinetic Force Field (30) who puts it up before he Magic Net is over them, what happens?

Are they stuck in their sphere with a Magic Net over it?

Does the Magic Net act as another layer of armor?

Is Psychics vision obscured enough that they can't use psionics against the slavers?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Magic Net vs Telekinetic Force Field

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The Magic Net will strike the Force Field. You can play it up anyway you want, but you should still be consistent. So, you could have it engulf the FF or fall to the ground.

If you allow the MN to engulf the FF, I would not have it act as another layer of armor nor would I consider its fibers to obscure vision. This is because the size/thickness and distribution of the fibers, and in order to damage the net you'd have to make a called shot.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

darthauthor wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:43 pm Magic Net (7 PPE) vs Telekinetic Force Field (30 ISP)

So If a Atlantis slaver operation cast Magic Net on a player character with Telekinetic Force Field (30) who puts it up before he Magic Net is over them, what happens?

Are they stuck in their sphere with a Magic Net over it?

Does the Magic Net act as another layer of armor?

Is Psychics vision obscured enough that they can't use psionics against the slavers?
The magic net hits the Telekenetic Force Field and sticks to it, of course. I'm not sure why this is even a question, the text is unambigious on this point. Any projectile of any sort is blocked by the force field. The smallest possible force field is three meters and largest possible one is 150' diameter, which is hilariously larger than the magic net.

Of course, this also is of limited importance, because it's equally clear that those inside a telekenetic force field, likewise cannot fire any kind of projectile out of the force field, and also cannot leave the force field unless it is destroyed or shut down by the creator, just like the bad guys.

Neither side can hurt the other, unless they use specific abilities that are not projectiles, like using Bio-Manipulation to paralyze people, or mage casting Call Lightning (which calls down lightning from the sky rather than projecting from the caster, and thus those inside can cast it on those outside but not vice versa.

So yes, in theory, if a low level Mind Melter, for example, covers the party in a teleknetic force field, the slaver barge could in theory fire a Magic Net to cover the TK force field to cover it, then shoot at it to destroy the field, where the magic net would theoretically follow the laws of gravity and fall to catch those underneath it.

Though a higher level mind melter could make a TK force field large enough that those inside could move out of range while still being inside the force field, which would limit the utility of this.

But really in this situation the Slaver wouldnt' waste time with magic net, they'd just blast the TK force field to take it down as quick as possible with the barge lasers.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
darthauthor
Hero

I was thinking the psychic reacted in creating the force field. Like a parry or dodge.

I honestly did not know the way it worked was people outside the force field. The force field is destroyed, without harming the "Magic Net" and it falls on the characters.

So the Magic Net never takes damage?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:where the magic net would theoretically follow the laws of gravity and fall to catch those underneath it.
Per the description Magic Net is only a 10ft/3m area. If we assume a circular outline for the Net, that would put it at ~1.8ft/0.98m radius (which are not equivalent at this point). A TK-FF can be as small as 3ft/0.9m area (~1ft/0.53m, again not equivalent), but it can be 10ft/3m diameter (or 5ft/1.4m radius) area per level. Really unless the psychic went really small area for some reason to counter the MN, the Magic Net would likely look more like webbing on a "hemisphere" of the FF, which means it might not catch anyone when the FF goes down (unless the Magic Net regains momentum now that the FF is down), then one has to also consider positioning w/n the FF.
darthauthor wrote:So the Magic Net never takes damage?
"Even then, it requires a full two melee rounds to cut or blast out"-BOM pg101 for Magic Net. So yes, it can take damage, but I would argue it requires a called shot, which is also mentioned in the text (in RUE pg205-6, "To hurt someone already caught in a Magic Net without harming the net itself requires a Called Shot" okay its talking about someone in the Net, but IMHO it would work in reverse).

Now how much damage the Net can soak isn't stated, and since APM and DPA are going to be wildly variable we don't know what to assume.
darthauthor
Hero

Don't know what to assume is how I feel when running some of these encounters.

A Splorgoth Slaver team is trying to take the players and one Fields it up. I am guessing what to do. IF the situation is I argue the player can't escape. They argue the Magic Net should take at least half, if not ALL, the damage of spells and blasts against them, what explanation does a GM give why the player is wrong, IF they are wrong.

I agree with you mention that, IF the attack wants to hit the Force Field and NOT the Magic Net, they need to succeed at a called shot. While in my point of view, area of effect spells don't discriminate between the Magic Net and the Force Field.
In my mind, they either BOTH take damage or one does and after it is destroyed the other follows.

What follows then is a discussion about whether the Magic Net is destroyed first or the Force Field or the both go at the same time. However, the outcome makes a BIG difference to the players in deteriming the position they are left in (free of the Magic Net or in it).
darthauthor
Hero

Just to be certain,

IF a party has Magic Net cast upon them, can the psychic of the group create a Telekinetic Force Field over them and the "Magic Net"?

The idea being the players are hoping the Force Field will buy them enough time to cut through the Magic Net.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

darthauthor wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:05 pm Just to be certain,

IF a party has Magic Net cast upon them, can the psychic of the group create a Telekinetic Force Field over them and the "Magic Net"?

The idea being the players are hoping the Force Field will buy them enough time to cut through the Magic Net.
Of course they can. nothing about a magic net prevents you from doing anything you want expect what it actually says it does, which is stop you from moving until you can cut your way free.

That's it.

Put all the force fields up you want.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”