Rifts wargame done, ready for playtest

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Rifts wargame done, ready for playtest

Unread post by slade the sniper »

So, I'm done with the playtest version because I'm stupid and wanted to waste a lot of time. If anyone wants a copy for playtesting, PM me. I can email it or give you a link. If you have Tabletop Simulator, let me know and I'll send you the links for that.

Hopefully, someone might want to play it.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
darthauthor
Hero

Re: Rifts wargame done, ready for playtest

Unread post by darthauthor »

What is Rifts "Wargame?"
slade the sniper
Hero

Re: Rifts wargame done, ready for playtest

Unread post by slade the sniper »

A wargame, like Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) or 40k. You move counters or minis around a battlefield. At smaller scale a unit can be a single model which is what most miniature wargames are so that you have a bunch of individual models.

At larger scales such as Axis and Allies or Risk, each unit represents entire corps or armies and the map covers tens or hundreds of miles.

My Rifts wargame for has the scale of 30 km per square and each unit is a brigade (about 3,000 troops). That is because it is covering the entire Coalition War Campaign of hundreds of thousands of troops over the area all around Tolkeen which is basically the state of Wisconsin.

Making a smaller scale wargame for Rifts isn't difficult, BUT, the ranges of the weapons are huge compared to most miniature based wargames. That would lead to the maps being gigantic (over 60" x 60") at a very large scale such as 1/285 at least. That still only gives you a range of a little over a quarter of a mile (1425' or 434m). The ranges of Rifts weapons are generally 1200 to 1600m for most powered armor stuff. Only personal weapons, magic and psionics can be shown within that range. Use of powered armor or mechs would be either impossible or unrealistic unless you want to gimp the ranges to fit, which is why BattleTech has such unrealistically short range weapons. Since Rifts already has published ranges for things, that wouldn't be a decent option, so the other option is to go with counters and much larger ranges. While "realistic" it does expand well past the typical Role Playing Game or Skirmish Wargame scale. That sort of overlap (RPG to actual wargame) doesn't seem to be that common.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg

Return to “Rifts®”