How awesome can you make a non-super in a supers campaign

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

How awesome can you make a non-super in a supers campaign

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Kind of a challenge/thought experiment I guess...what is the best mundane NPC can be made in Heroes Unlimited (or other megaversal settings like Chaos Earth or Nightbane or Beyond the Supernatural)?

I am looking for any NPCs or advice on making some NPCs that can threaten or even challenge supernatural/superpowered PCs while remaining clearly non-powered in any way...

I was thinking sort of like normal people that instead of cowering in fear when supervillains attack, decide (for whatever reason) that they don't need some weirdo in tights to save them, they don't want some superpowered egomanial "hero" telling them what to do and they are perfectly capable of dealing with threats to their physical well being just fine by themselves and they are not going to knell before some trumped up thug even if she does shoot death rays from her eyes.

Are these types of NPCs possible without just using GM fiat?

I am thinking that a normal NPC with no PC class type stuff could do so via background information such as:
Old mountain man living in Appalachia that just doesn't give a crap
"Hollywood style PTSD" sufferer with a deathwish
A soccer mom whose children died as a result of a superpowered brawl in downtown and now seeks revenge
a grizzled homicide detective that has seen way too much and thinks that with a bit of extra-judicial killing, he might actually make a difference
a corporate executive who has always been successful can't stand the thought of costumed cretins being better than him at anything

Are they even viable ideas to be built using "normal humans" or would they all be better off as some type of GM created/modified PC class?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: How awesome can you make a non-super in a supers campaig

Unread post by eliakon »

slade the sniper wrote:Kind of a challenge/thought experiment I guess...what is the best mundane NPC can be made in Heroes Unlimited (or other megaversal settings like Chaos Earth or Nightbane or Beyond the Supernatural)?

I am looking for any NPCs or advice on making some NPCs that can threaten or even challenge supernatural/superpowered PCs while remaining clearly non-powered in any way...

I was thinking sort of like normal people that instead of cowering in fear when supervillains attack, decide (for whatever reason) that they don't need some weirdo in tights to save them, they don't want some superpowered egomanial "hero" telling them what to do and they are perfectly capable of dealing with threats to their physical well being just fine by themselves and they are not going to knell before some trumped up thug even if she does shoot death rays from her eyes.

Are these types of NPCs possible without just using GM fiat?

I am thinking that a normal NPC with no PC class type stuff could do so via background information such as:
Old mountain man living in Appalachia that just doesn't give a crap
"Hollywood style PTSD" sufferer with a deathwish
A soccer mom whose children died as a result of a superpowered brawl in downtown and now seeks revenge
a grizzled homicide detective that has seen way too much and thinks that with a bit of extra-judicial killing, he might actually make a difference
a corporate executive who has always been successful can't stand the thought of costumed cretins being better than him at anything

Are they even viable ideas to be built using "normal humans" or would they all be better off as some type of GM created/modified PC class?

-STS

Dead Reign, BTS 1 and 2, and Systems Failure are centered around this premise. Many of the 'classes' there are just mundane people with 'realistic' skills. As for danger, you would be amazed at what can happen. I am reminded of an episode of the Highlander TV show. Some guy was killing immortals in swordfights....of course he was cheating and using nightvision goggles while attacking them in the dark...but the same idea can work anywhere.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

I've said before that, as written, the Hunter/Vigilante can swiftly work his way up to an 88% chance of successfully trapping/snaring his prey -- which explicitly includes humans -- and applies regardless of whether he's thereby capturing it unharmed or killing it outright.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Stage magician and a good inventor team might put super glue (no pun intended) to good use. as well metal on certain power is still magnetic so an a large magnet that lifts cars will still mess them up good. A set of electro-stunners and nice metal surface with glue or a lot of water to carry the charge can be quite effective.

Both could have had bad experiences with Meta-humans..or be ones captured by shock and had powers taken from them.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Regularguy wrote:I've said before that, as written, the Hunter/Vigilante can swiftly work his way up to an 88% chance of successfully trapping/snaring his prey -- which explicitly includes humans -- and applies regardless of whether he's thereby capturing it unharmed or killing it outright.

And has been pointed out often enough that ability isn't going to let them capture or insta-kill anyone that they can't actually acquire what's needed to do either, since that percentage is all about successfully setting up the trap it doesn't even remotely mean 'I rolled this percentage so the trap is infallible and contains everything needed to make it successful'. They are after all people who spent their time learning to hunt and trap normal, non-powered creatures NOT super-humans.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Any NPC has the potential to be a threat. It all comes down to how you play them and how the dice roll. As others have said, there are many sources where you can find ordinary people OCCs and categories.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

And has been pointed out often enough that ability isn't going to let them capture or insta-kill anyone that they can't actually acquire what's needed to do either, since that percentage is all about successfully setting up the trap it doesn't even remotely mean 'I rolled this percentage so the trap is infallible and contains everything needed to make it successful'. They are after all people who spent their time learning to hunt and trap normal, non-powered creatures NOT super-humans.

Hey, I took the time to specify "as written". I fully recognize that you think it shouldn't be written that way -- and you're certainly welcome to house-rule that Hunter/Vigilantes who spent their time learning about A and B face whatever penalties you'd like to make up when the prey is C -- but "as written," no, I just don't see it.
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

Practically speaking, I think you would have to go with GM's fiat. Every OCC that can be imported in that's "typical" would be squashed like a bug by someone with a decent rollup of superpowers, unless they got something spiffy in return to level the playing field. At which point they are no longer "typical", they are something like the Hardware Category or Special Training Category. Once your character has graduated from "average person" to fitting in a HU Category, they have capabilities that are above and beyond your average person, and cannot be considered mundane. So you either stick them in a special Category and deal with the fact that it takes someone special to cross swords with someone superpowered, or you roll them up using only basic stats and education table (mundane wouldn't fall into a HU Category) and use GM's fiat for why they win when they shouldn't be able to.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

It depends on what the players are playing, also. If you have a character who is good and won't harm the NPC on the principle that since the NPC has no powers, it would be an unfair fight, you have the chance of the NPC with no qualms about attacking someone able to win the encounter.
Also, not all powers are designed to stand up to heavy weaponry. If you have an NPC fully loaded for a fight, he might take down a superpowered character if the character does not have enough SDC and Hit Points.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Regularguy wrote:

Hey, I took the time to specify "as written". I fully recognize that you think it shouldn't be written that way -- and you're certainly welcome to house-rule that Hunter/Vigilantes who spent their time learning about A and B face whatever penalties you'd like to make up when the prey is C -- but "as written," no, I just don't see it.

You may house rule that that's how it's written, but since that's not actually how it's written it was important to point out that how you think it's written isn't actually so. Wouldn't want people confused and think you could just pass a roll and *poof* take out anything from a tiger to Galactus, which clearly no one should think is how the Hunter/Vigilante is written and would clearly be wrong in thinking so.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The point about the Hunter/Vigilante has already been argued previously in other threads. Can we kindly drop it from the conversation here and go back to answering the OP's question?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Some great threats to supers from mundanes
Grenades
Gas attacks
Tranquilizer darts
Stun Grenades
Missiles
Snipers
poisoning food/drink/etc
Revealing secret identities
hostages
set a trap
wage a PR campaign
frame them for a crime
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

eliakon wrote:Some great threats to supers from mundanes
Grenades
Gas attacks
Tranquilizer darts
Stun Grenades
Missiles
Snipers
poisoning food/drink/etc
Revealing secret identities
hostages
set a trap
wage a PR campaign
frame them for a crime

Looking at some other threats:
Seduction
Financial attacks
blackmail (sort of already covered with PR/framing)

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

PU2 Weapon master, you can parry bullets with a wooden sword, you cannot possibly be more badass.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Also, not all powers are designed to stand up to heavy weaponry. If you have an NPC fully loaded for a fight, he might take down a superpowered character if the character does not have enough SDC and Hit Points.

I would say that the majority of the randomly rolled characters in the mutant/alien threads below would be vulnerable to my super power "getting together 10 or 20 guys with assault rifles who are willing to see you dead. " :mrgreen:
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Kind of a challenge/thought experiment I guess...what is the best mundane NPC can be made in Heroes Unlimited (or other megaversal settings like Chaos Earth or Nightbane or Beyond the Supernatural)?

Pretty close to some of the classes by skills with the right rolls and such depending on what you want to compare them to IMHO. 2 Skill Programs and 10 Secondary skills allows for a lot of options for High School given how many skills you can actually select. Higher education levels have fewer secondary skills, but make up for it with additional skill program availability and better bonuses)

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”