Dual/Multi-classing and Changing OCC's

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

renfield
Explorer

Dual/Multi-classing and Changing OCC's

Unread post by renfield »

I know that somewhere there were rules for Changing OCC's and Dual-classing etc.. but the only thing I can find is when Juicers go through the Detox procedure and re-train for a new OCCC. So after some conversation with my players I came up with the following:
-----
Changing OOC’s:
- Any character wishing to study a new OCC must first find a teacher who is Level 4 or higher, arrange payment then study through their current level. The learning process takes a number of weeks equal to the current overall character level as you have to at least partially UN-learn previous knowledge in order to make room for the new knowledge. Upon gaining the new level immediately gain any abilities granted by the new class.
- In addition choose Seven New Skills from the OCC skill list that you do not already have (But not any of the bonuses to those skills).In cases where a character has left-over skill slots because they already have all of the skills available to the new class then they may choose skills from the Secondary OCC choices of the new Class.
- Previous abilities will no longer level. Previous skills will not level again until New OCC Level meets original OCC Level. XP level is reset to 1st Level in the new OCC.
Restrictions:
- Any Character can become a Man-at-Arms or Scholar/Adventurer Class including Magic or Psychic OCC’s.
- No one can move into Psychic Character Class’s (PCC) unless they already have an existing psychic ability for whatever reasons and will have to be Master Psychics to begin with. But once they become a Psychic they are bound by the Psychic restrictions below.
- A Psychic character cannot move into another PCC because PCC’s are technically an RCC and thus follow the RCC restrictions, though they can move into any other class, including Magic-Using OCCs (If they meet the qualifications below).
- Magic-users can move into any OCC except Psychics unless they already have existing Psychic Abilities and again are considered Master Psychics.
- No one can become a Magic-using OCC unless they already have at least some minor Magic-Using ability or have at least some Psychic Ability (To aid in the mental ability to learn magic) or have raw Magic Potential; i.e, a minimum 100 base PPE form whatever natural source.
- NOTE: Mystics cannot ever learn any other Magic-Using or Psychic Character Class due tot heir unique way of developing and using Magic and Psychic abilities, though they have no other restrictions on learning other OCC’s.
- No one can become an R.C.C. though they can move into a different type of RCC within their own race, if one is available. Characters with an RCC can learn any other OCC with the usual restrictions (Psychic RCC’s cannot learn a new PCC etc…).
-----
Comments are welcome. I wanted to keep the process somewhat realistic and still allow for people to change Professions as they like to reflect how often people in the real world can completely change their chosen work.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: Dual/Multi-classing and Changing OCC's

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

renfield wrote:I know that somewhere there were rules for Changing OCC's and Dual-classing etc.. but the only thing I can find is when Juicers go through the Detox procedure and re-train for a new OCCC. So after some conversation with my players I came up with the following:
-----
Changing OOC’s:
- Any character wishing to study a new OCC must first find a teacher who is Level 4 or higher, arrange payment then study through their current level. The learning process takes a number of weeks equal to the current overall character level as you have to at least partially UN-learn previous knowledge in order to make room for the new knowledge. Upon gaining the new level immediately gain any abilities granted by the new class.
- In addition choose Seven New Skills from the OCC skill list that you do not already have (But not any of the bonuses to those skills).In cases where a character has left-over skill slots because they already have all of the skills available to the new class then they may choose skills from the Secondary OCC choices of the new Class.
- Previous abilities will no longer level. Previous skills will not level again until New OCC Level meets original OCC Level. XP level is reset to 1st Level in the new OCC.
Restrictions:
- Any Character can become a Man-at-Arms or Scholar/Adventurer Class including Magic or Psychic OCC’s.
- No one can move into Psychic Character Class’s (PCC) unless they already have an existing psychic ability for whatever reasons and will have to be Master Psychics to begin with. But once they become a Psychic they are bound by the Psychic restrictions below.
- A Psychic character cannot move into another PCC because PCC’s are technically an RCC and thus follow the RCC restrictions, though they can move into any other class, including Magic-Using OCCs (If they meet the qualifications below).
- Magic-users can move into any OCC except Psychics unless they already have existing Psychic Abilities and again are considered Master Psychics.
- No one can become a Magic-using OCC unless they already have at least some minor Magic-Using ability or have at least some Psychic Ability (To aid in the mental ability to learn magic) or have raw Magic Potential; i.e, a minimum 100 base PPE form whatever natural source.
- NOTE: Mystics cannot ever learn any other Magic-Using or Psychic Character Class due tot heir unique way of developing and using Magic and Psychic abilities, though they have no other restrictions on learning other OCC’s.
- No one can become an R.C.C. though they can move into a different type of RCC within their own race, if one is available. Characters with an RCC can learn any other OCC with the usual restrictions (Psychic RCC’s cannot learn a new PCC etc…).
-----
Comments are welcome. I wanted to keep the process somewhat realistic and still allow for people to change Professions as they like to reflect how often people in the real world can completely change their chosen work.
good rules if you feel dual/multi classing is required for your games.
(my opinion on dual/multi classing is it is not needed in pally)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
renfield
Explorer

Well there is at least one instance where its actually needed as one of the players is running a Special Forces trooper who has retired. Hence no more advancement in that OCC and the need to swap.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

renfield wrote:Well there is at least one instance where its actually needed as one of the players is running a Special Forces trooper who has retired. Hence no more advancement in that OCC and the need to swap.
just because he retired does not mean he stops being a spec-4. I know several retired spec-4s (seals, rangers, green beret, etc...) they still train like they are not retired.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
renfield
Explorer

true that but in his case he's delving more into some of the higher education he received while in training and is getting into vehicular and weapon modification and design. So changing works. And I like characters to have the option of some variety so no two headhunters, bursters or even dragons will ever be alike etc...
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

renfield wrote:true that but in his case he's delving more into some of the higher education he received while in training and is getting into vehicular and weapon modification and design. So changing works. And I like characters to have the option of some variety so no two headhunters, bursters or even dragons will ever be alike etc...

easier house rule for that is this:

OCC skill limitations only apply at character creation.
all skills are available thereafter at appropriate level ups, assuming character meets all skill requirements and can find an instructor with at least 3 levels in the skill or (now with the RUE upgrades) a Rogue Scholar.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cutt ... alocc.html

Also, there's something in PFRPG somewhere, IIRC.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Dr. Hellstromme wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:easier house rule for that is this:

OCC skill limitations only apply at character creation.
all skills are available thereafter at appropriate level ups, assuming character meets all skill requirements and can find an instructor with at least 3 levels in the skill or (now with the RUE upgrades) a Rogue Scholar.

Well said :ok: I go even further: secondary skills have no limitations even at 1st level, as they are already "outside your profession" skills.
Also, I converted higher level skill slots to a kind of "skill point" system. Basically this means you can take a new skill at any level, if you forsake automatic advancement (that +4 or 5 % per level thingy) on some of your skills. 10 % of advancement converts to a new skill selection

The only situation calling for an actual change of class IMO is when a PC wants to learn magic at a later point in his/her life. I tend to say its impossible because you either born with magic or you dont. I dont think its official, but easier this way :wink:

this intrigues me... care to elaborate on it more?
I pretty much do the same thing with mages.
renfield
Explorer

That's an interesting system there Doc. I may incorporate that into my game as an option anyway, in addition to the changing OCC rules. Thanks for the link, what book is that in? My original leveling idea was nearly the same; once you reached a new level you can start training for the new OCC but did not get any benefits until they had completed that "training level" (I didn't call it Level Zero.) but once they hit the next level they would get all of the benefits of being 2nd level in the new OCC. Actually this is more or less what my current level does.

I will modify the restriction to learn a Magic-using to people who already have some form of magic-using ability.
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

I have found the best way to multi-class in Rift's is to switch the skill system to the Heros Unlimited system. There is some work involved,but adding a couple of skill programs is easier that whole new OCCs.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Killer Cyborg wrote:http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cuttingroom/oops/dualocc.html

The published Changing Class rules are found in the PF: High Seas Book.
There is another set of published changing class rules in the Mysteries of Magic book 1.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cuttingroom/oops/dualocc.html

The published Changing Class rules are found in the PF: High Seas Book.
There is another set of published changing class rules in the Mysteries of Magic book 1.

Thanks!
:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
kmspade
Explorer

Unread post by kmspade »

OK, here's a question for you all...

How does Dual/Multi-classing work in regards to OCC's, PCC's and RCC's. More specifically, can a Psi-Stalker (listed as a PCC, but should be an RCC in my opinion) change over to a Mind Melter or Burster (another PCC)?

I can see a Psi-Stalker deciding to be a rouge scholar or RPA pilot or something (an OCC) but not how they could "become" a mind melter. I'm not sure how this would work regarding ISP and PPE bases, ect.

The rules don't seem to put any restrictions on OCC vs PCC vs RCC that I can see. Theoretically, a CS RPA Pilot could decide to dual class into a Dragon Hatchling if he wanted. Obviously this makes no sense, so I'm wondering how you all would handle this situation. I like renfields system, but I was wondering if there is a canon reference similar to his class restrictions.

Please list book and page numbers for canon rule references.

Thanks!
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

There are also rules for dual classing in the conversion book that address what happens when a person gets too many bionic implants and must become a borg.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.

Return to “Rifts®”