How much PPE is posible?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Re: How much PPE is posible?

Unread post by Lenwen »

OneTrikPony wrote:My question is about the mechanics of Suplimental PPE. Most characters will have a Base PPE of less than 150 even at level 10. I understand that this PPE can be supimented with a ritual or by ocupying a leyline or nexus but how much can PPE be raised and how long does it last?

A PC caster's Supplimental PPE can not exceed 3x his base.

Your example is a Ley Line Walker 10th lvl, with 150PPE base.

150x3 = 450. Max amount of Supplimental PPE the Mage can use.

It is always Base x 3 for the max supplimental PPE a mage can use.

And the mage can keep and hold onto the added supplimental PPE PE attribute in minutes.

This is canon. This can be found in Book of Magic, pg 21.

Hope this helps. :)
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

OneTrikPony wrote: can read the rules for suplimenting PPE in two ways. For example the RUE says "Most magic OCC's can draw 10 PPE once every melee round from a leyline..."

They can draw upon the +10 PPE once a melee round to either refill thier drained/spent PPE ..

Or .. to gather the alotted 3x thier base limit of PPE.

But they can not go over Base ppe x 3 limit, of PPE .

Hope this makes sense to ya my friend I sometimes have it clear in my head but when I type it .. sometimes it looks all mublejumbly .. :lol:

Anyways welcome to the Fantastic world of Rifts. :)
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

In the case of Shifters they can use up to 70% of their minions P.P.E. pools and with some greater demons can have near P.P.E. pools of near a thousand. They can have flunkies like Psi-Goblins, apprentices & pets high in P.P.E. like Dragon cats, Phantom Wolves and Pegasus. Other mages can have minions too but if they don't this is where a guild can come in handy to aid each other in supply the needed P.P.E. to perform the ritual. RUE changed the amount of P.P.E., duration and power ley line provide which was a good thing since our GM never really let use take advantage off the old rules, now she lets us freely use it now that its been nerfed.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Maybe I don't remember the books right, but I also believe that the TW creations didn't require all the PPE at once. The enchantments are sometimes done over a period of time, allowing recovery of PPE. Maybe I am remebering that wrong. Never played or had a player who was a Technowizard, so maybe I am not remembering it correctly.

Also devices that store PPE can be helpful and as mentioned rituals to pull the PPE from others.
-Matt
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

there is one race that has an unlimited amount of PPE.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Lenwen wrote:
OneTrikPony wrote:My question is about the mechanics of Supplemental PPE. Most characters will have a Base PPE of less than 150 even at level 10. I understand that this PPE can be supplemented with a ritual or by occupying a leyline or nexus but how much can PPE be raised and how long does it last?

A PC caster's Supplemental PPE can not exceed 3x his base.

150x3 = 450. Max amount of Supplemental PPE the Mage can use.

It is always Base x 3 for the max supplemental PPE a mage can use.

And the mage can keep and hold onto the added supplemental PPE PE attribute in minutes.

This is canon. This can be found in Book of Magic, pg. 21.

Would just like to say that is the base PPE is 150, the max total after gathering all the supplemental PPE would 600 PPE to use.

150 (base) + 450 (base x3) = 600
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
OneTrikPony wrote:My question is about the mechanics of Supplemental PPE. Most characters will have a Base PPE of less than 150 even at level 10. I understand that this PPE can be supplemented with a ritual or by occupying a leyline or nexus but how much can PPE be raised and how long does it last?

And the mage can keep and hold onto the added supplemental PPE PE attribute in minutes.

Would just like to say that is the base PPE is 150, the max total after gathering all the supplemental PPE would 600 PPE to use.

I see how the text could be read that way, but I don't agree with your conclusion. I believe the limit would be 450, not 600.

The book says: "...can absorb up to three times their normal limit in PPE." It doesn't define whether or not the absorbed PPE is in addition to their base PPE.

So it's left up to the reader.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

runebeo wrote:In the case of Shifters they can use up to 70% of their minions P.P.E. pools and with some greater demons can have near P.P.E. pools of near a thousand.

Rune, this is true. But even Shifter's are not allowed to go past the x3 base alotted PPE max, for thier PE in number of minutes ..
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

It is not said wether its added or not my friend.

What IS .. known is that it is base x3.

Adding it to the base would effectivly make it Base x4.

Base - 150 ... Base ..150
Added-150 ... ............X
Added-150 ... ............3
Added-150 .................
--------------
Total - 600 ..............450.

See what I am saying ? Max is Base x three. Not base PPE + 3 other addition's as that would be going beyond the base x3 limit.

Not Base + 3 added PPE bases .. its Base x3. 150x3 = 450, not Base 150+150+150+150 = 600.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

MoM1 pg.22 Left column, a caster can tap into a supplemental ppe source (cult/ley line/et c.) and channel 600 ppe/level for a spell that must be cast within 1 melee (15 seconds).
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Lenwen wrote:
runebeo wrote:In the case of Shifters they can use up to 70% of their minions P.P.E. pools and with some greater demons can have near P.P.E. pools of near a thousand.

Rune, this is true. But even Shifter's are not allowed to go past the x3 base alotted PPE max, for thier PE in number of minutes ..

not necessarily. we know that groups of casters can participate in rituals and combine their PPE. in this case, the mage isn't actually drawing the PPE into themselves, so much as simply directing where it all goes to.

however, i would agree that the mage couldn't summon a demon, draw on it's PPE to go over his max, release the demon, and keep the extra PPE; but by making the demon a participant in a ritual, for example, a shifter could go beyond even the 3 x personal PPE limit for casting the spell.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Khanibal wrote: MoM1 pg.22 Left column, a caster can tap into a supplemental ppe source (cult/ley line/et c.) and channel 600 ppe/level for a spell that must be cast within 1 melee (15 seconds).

I have checked BoM, page 22 and have not found this ..

Am I looking in the wrong place ?

Shark_Force wrote:not necessarily. we know that groups of casters can participate in rituals and combine their PPE. in this case, the mage isn't actually drawing the PPE into themselves, so much as simply directing where it all goes to.

In a ritual the rules may be different. But then again as you said the Mage is not drawin the PPE into himself.

The mage is Directing where his PPE goes ..

The two are completely different, and should not be considered the same thing ..
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Lenwen wrote:
Khanibal wrote: MoM1 pg.22 Left column, a caster can tap into a supplemental ppe source (cult/ley line/et c.) and channel 600 ppe/level for a spell that must be cast within 1 melee (15 seconds).

He didn't say BoM p22...
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mack wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

He didn't say BoM p22...

Its not there on pg 22 .. Hence me asking Mack .. :lol:

Pg 22 of BoM contains the following topics on the "Left Column" side ..

1) - Magic saving throw's and the Bonus you get threw PE.

2) - Strength Enhancing Spells and if thier Cumulative or not ..

3) - How long it takes to learn a spell ..

4) - How to use Spell learning Rules from Rifts Magic an Psionic's screen ..

5) - Using FoM spells in Palladium Setting ..

6) - How do you make new spells ..

Ergo Mack, I am asking Its not there .. BoM, pg 22.. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area ?
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Lenwen, read my post (and more importantly Khanibal's) again.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mack wrote:Lenwen, read my post (and more importantly Khanibal's) again.

Whoa .. that is a eye opener ..

What book is MoM1 ?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

I do not know if MoM has any relevence to Rifts does it ?

I go by Rifts BoM .. when concerning, Rifts magic systems ..
Nightmaster
Hero

Unread post by Nightmaster »

They mean the Misteries of Magic book
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Lenwen wrote:

I too question the validity of that statement...
I have MoM and have read that phrase...that seems a bit off
thats 600/level usable in a single melee...
that means a 10th level mage has 6000ppe available?
its gotta be a typo yes?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Lenwen wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

It is not said wether its added or not my friend.

What IS .. known is that it is base x3.

Adding it to the base would effectivly make it Base x4.

Base - 150 ... Base ..150
Added-150 ... ............X
Added-150 ... ............3
Added-150 .................
--------------
Total - 600 ..............450.

See what I am saying ? Max is Base x three. Not base PPE + 3 other addition's as that would be going beyond the base x3 limit.

Not Base + 3 added PPE bases .. its Base x3. 150x3 = 450, not Base 150+150+150+150 = 600.

Supplemental, means 'in addition to".
Yes, the max Additional PPE would be 450 PPE, with this you are correct. I was only pointing out that when you add the additional PPE to the base PPE it adds up to 600 PPE.

This is how the rules have been for a few years rifts.

However, in MoM1 it states that mages can only hold a total of double their base.

I for one will be following the additional base x3.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

its gotta be a typo yes?

they still have to get it somehow, i presume. they just are able to hold that much for 1 melee.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

its gotta be a typo yes?

Considering in Rifts ..

Thee absolute MOST .. PPE any class can "regen" per melee would be the Ley Line Walkers.

And even they do not get +600 per lvl .. they only get +20 per round (Ley Line) or +40 per round at a Nexus.

Its physically impossible for mages to use above 2 ranks of the +600 PPE/Level usable in a single melee round as it takes many many many rounds JUST .. to get to thier "Max 3x base" supplimental amount of PPE.

15th lvl ley line walker with maxed out PPE = 3d6x10+20= 200, +270 max PPE threw leveling up.

Total being 470 PPE. Times 3 (max supplimental) 1'410 PPE.

Now going by the MoM1 law.. We see the most that Ley Line Walker can use is 1200 PPE for 1 Melee round.

Its better for that Ley Line Walker to simply use the standard Supplimental PPE of 1'410 PPE rather then the "+600 PPE/Level"

Otherwise a 15th lvl Ley Line Walker using the MoM1 law would have 15 lvls X 600PPE= 15'000 PPE for use in 1 single Melee round.

At least I do not understand this .. Is there a class that can actually USE .. the Full extent of that ability in all of Palladium (PC, not NPC wise) ?
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

OneTrikPony wrote:what the hell is MoM?

Mysteries of Magic. Yep welcome to the wonderful world of Rifts where you need 20 different books to play the game. Even though I own nearly all that have been printed so far I fiind that I only use a select few at a time. Ley lines flow straight AND flow like rivers, goig by the artwork (the big piture of a ley line one?) they seem to follow the terrain. So if the teerai is flat and straight then so is the Ley Line, if there are rock faces or Mountains then it follows the terrain like a river would.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

OneTrikPony wrote:PERFECT! Thankyou. that's exactly the type of responce I was talking about above.

It would have killed them to include that one sentence in the RUE? Now I'm off to buy another damn book.

Not to kill sales or anything (and I recommend buying the Book of Magic), but the "3x base PPE" rule is also in the FAQ on the palladium main page.

Or at least it was when I last needed the clarification.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Shark_Force
Palladin

Lenwen wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

its gotta be a typo yes?

Considering in Rifts ..

Thee absolute MOST .. PPE any class can "regen" per melee would be the Ley Line Walkers.

And even they do not get +600 per lvl .. they only get +20 per round (Ley Line) or +40 per round at a Nexus.

Its physically impossible for mages to use above 2 ranks of the +600 PPE/Level usable in a single melee round as it takes many many many rounds JUST .. to get to thier "Max 3x base" supplimental amount of PPE.

15th lvl ley line walker with maxed out PPE = 3d6x10+20= 200, +270 max PPE threw leveling up.

Now going by the MoM1 law.. We see the most that Ley Line Walker can use is 1200 PPE for 1 Melee round.

Its better for that Ley Line Walker to simply use the standard Supplimental PPE of 1'410 PPE rather then the "+600 PPE/Level"

Otherwise a 15th lvl Ley Line Walker using the MoM1 law would have 15 lvls X 600PPE= 15'000 PPE for use in 1 single Melee round.

At least I do not understand this .. Is there a class that can actually USE .. the Full extent of that ability in all of Palladium (PC, not NPC wise) ?

i would suppose that this might be referring to the maximum amount of PPE a single man of magic can direct (as opposed to how much can be contained). so, for example, if you slaughtered 100 people with an average of 7 PPE each, you'd have 700 PPE (edit: 1400 PPE, forgot about the doubling rule) available which you would need to use immediately, that round. if you have only a level 1 caster, he would only be able to use a max of 600 of that PPE.

the same would apply for drawing PPE from allies who are not participating in the spellcasting (in general, i wouldn't allow other casters to participate other than by contributing PPE unless it was a ritual), so a level 1 shifter who has a minion with 1,000 PPE can only use direct 600 of the 700 PPE he can get from that minion. a level 2 shifter could use up to 1200 PPE from minions, sacrifices, or other sources of PPE.

again, i don't think this is a number for how much the caster can generate per melee. i think it's how much they can make use of. they have to find some other way to get that much PPE.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Shark_Force wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

its gotta be a typo yes?

Considering in Rifts ..

i would suppose that this might be referring to the maximum amount of PPE a single man of magic can direct (as opposed to how much can be contained). so, for example, if you slaughtered 100 people with an average of 7 PPE each, you'd have 700 PPE (edit: 1400 PPE, forgot about the doubling rule) available which you would need to use immediately, that round. if you have only a level 1 caster, he would only be able to use a max of 600 of that PPE.

the same would apply for drawing PPE from allies who are not participating in the spellcasting (in general, i wouldn't allow other casters to participate other than by contributing PPE unless it was a ritual), so a level 1 shifter who has a minion with 1,000 PPE can only use direct 600 of the 700 PPE he can get from that minion. a level 2 shifter could use up to 1200 PPE from minions, sacrifices, or other sources of PPE.

again, i don't think this is a number for how much the caster can generate per melee. i think it's how much they can make use of. they have to find some other way to get that much PPE.

OK I re-read the paragraph in question (MoM 1 pg 22) the 600ppe/level is the amount he can channel in a single melee. This means he has to have access to the energy first. And only acts as a conduit for the energy not as a storage battery.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
OK I re-read the paragraph in question (MoM 1 pg 22) the 600ppe/level is the amount he can channel in a single melee. This means he has to have access to the energy first. And only acts as a conduit for the energy not as a storage battery.

Ok so that means, in a Ritual style magic.

The highest ranking mage is the one who has to channel the PPE that is being used for the Ritual.

Which a 10th lvl Mage would be able to "Channel" 6'000 PPE. For 1 Melee into the Ritual style magic.

Which again means that the Base x3 is the Most a Mage can "Suppliment" Thier own PPE.

Suppliment and Channel are not one in the same. Suppliment means the Mage can use for a longer duration, Physical Endurance x 1 in Minutes...

Example.
10th lvl ley line walker with a PE of 30 ad maxed out PPE = 3d6x10+20= 200, +180 max PPE threw leveling up Total being 380 PPE. Times 3 (max supplimental) 1'140 PPE for 30 minutes.

While for the "Channeling" a 10th lvl LLW can have channeled threw him (by any legal means) 6'000 PPE for 15 seconds. One melee round.

However .. the LLW will HAVE to .. find a way to either get that much PPE and or have many many other Practitioners of Magic .. "give" him thier PPE .. for pourpose of either the Ritual or the spell.

My question now is ..

Talismen can hold 50 PPE as a PPE battery. If you have 100 Talismen PPE batteries ( I know I know enough with the talismen questions, but for the sake of curiousity) .. thats 5'000 PPE..

At 10th lvl, the LLW can "Channel" 6'000 PPE, does this mean that the LLW can thus call upon ALL .. the PPE from all 100 Talismen instantly .. to use literally 5'000 Talismen ?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Damian Magecraft wrote:OK I re-read the paragraph in question (MoM 1 pg 22) the 600ppe/level is the amount he can channel in a single melee. This means he has to have access to the energy first. And only acts as a conduit for the energy not as a storage battery.

I don't recall writing that section, but that would be my interpretation, as well.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Lenwen wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Ok so that means, in a Ritual style magic.

The highest ranking mage is the one who has to channel the PPE that is being used for the Ritual.

Which a 10th lvl Mage would be able to "Channel" 6'000 PPE. For 1 Melee into the Ritual style magic.

Which again means that the Base x3 is the Most a Mage can "Suppliment" Thier own PPE.

Suppliment and Channel are not one in the same. Suppliment means the Mage can use for a longer duration, Physical Endurance x 1 in Minutes...

Example.
10th lvl ley line walker with a PE of 30 ad maxed out PPE = 3d6x10+20= 200, +180 max PPE threw leveling up Total being 380 PPE. Times 3 (max supplimental) 1'140 PPE for 30 minutes.

While for the "Channeling" a 10th lvl LLW can have channeled threw him (by any legal means) 6'000 PPE for 15 seconds. One melee round.

However .. the LLW will HAVE to .. find a way to either get that much PPE and or have many many other Practitioners of Magic .. "give" him thier PPE .. for pourpose of either the Ritual or the spell.

My question now is ..

Talismen can hold 50 PPE as a PPE battery. If you have 100 Talismen PPE batteries ( I know I know enough with the talismen questions, but for the sake of curiousity) .. thats 5'000 PPE..

At 10th lvl, the LLW can "Channel" 6'000 PPE, does this mean that the LLW can thus call upon ALL .. the PPE from all 100 Talismen instantly .. to use literally 5'000 Talismen ?

assuming your final line was intended to be 100 talismans for 5,000 PPE, as opposed to 100 talismans for 5,000 talismans, then yes. (in fact, if they were all made for the first time, which there is absolutely no good reason not to do every single time, it would be 6,000 PPE)

although i personally would propose that in a ritual, all the participating mages can work together to direct the PPE, so if for some reason you needed 6,000 PPE for the ritual, you could have either 1 level 10 with a bunch of untrained people to act as a PPE source, or 10 level 1s, or 5 level 2s, or any combination thereof. the ritual allows them all to work together to cast the spell, imo, so they would also add together the amount they can channel.

of course, i'm not looking at the actual book, so it could very well be that i'm missing some part of the puzzle. i'm just saying how i would rule it based on what has been said is in the book.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

Basically, you HAVE to have a source to channel from. This is the first reasonable explanation for why mages during the siege of Tolkeen could cast "for free". They just parked themselves on a ley-line and kept casting.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

There is one race that has unlimited PPE.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Carindel
Explorer

Unread post by Carindel »

Must be a Coalition OCC.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Zer0 Kay wrote:There is one race that has unlimited PPE.

Old One?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mack wrote:

Old One?

Mulka ?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Lenwen wrote:
Mack wrote:

Old One?

Mulka ?

Thanks, now I don't have to look it up. Yes the Mulka.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mack wrote:

Old One?

:lol: that must be the CS OCC Carindel was talking about :lol:
:( wait I just got a terrible thought, what if Prosek is an "avatar" of one of the Old Ones :frazz:
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Unread post by 9voltkilowatt »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Mack wrote:

Old One?

:( wait I just got a terrible thought, what if Prosek is an "avatar" of one of the Old Ones :frazz:

Frankly, Prosek, even as the genocidal manic that he is would still be far too kind and merciful by comparison!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

9voltkilowatt wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Mack wrote:

Old One?

Frankly, Prosek, even as the genocidal manic that he is would still be far too kind and merciful by comparison!

No he's not you see its even working on you. That is how he starts. Since the OO is asleep the avatar is comparably weak so he must work slowly and gain followers. The next step is Prosek claiming, "In order to fight the supernatural threat attacking our world we must finally fight fire with fire. Give me your faith, your hearts, your thoughts. Worship me and I will become humanities one true god and lay waste to all that is not from this world. I will quell the chaos that is the supernatural blight on our blue world. When our planet is like it was before the coming of the rifts I too will be a man again, as it should be, but I shall be a man sharing my planet with my race!" All that directed PPE plus the PPE magnified by "sacrifice" in battles eventually awaking one of the OO. :frazz:
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

amodernheathen wrote:Energy Sphere, great spell for storing PPE, beats the heck out of talismans for setting up that big "Blow it all up" spell.

Very true,

In the past the way I allowed my PC's to use this spell was as follows. An example.

1) - Mage gathered all the PPE they could muster (supplimental threw Ley Lines mostly)
Lvl 5 LLW with a Base PPE of 305. ME (15), PE (16) : 305 PPE, x3 = 915 PPE total.

Cast the Energy Sphere spell : 915 - 120(Spell) = 500 PPE (795 normally)
*Energy Sphere has a limit of 100PPE per lvl of Caster which means 795 = 295 PPE more then the 5th lvl mage can place inside the Energy Sphere.

But I've allowed them to use up to 2 Energy sphere's as WELL .. as the normal supplimented amount.

Ergo ..

Energy Sphere = (2) 1'000 PPE as well as the normal Supplimented amount for a 5th lvl .. which is .. (915, 305x3) for a grand total of 1'915 PPE . At lvl 5.

I am not 100% sure if that is legal by the rules way to use the Energy Sphere and Supplimental in conjunction with each other but in my games this is allowable .. :)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

amodernheathen wrote:Energy Sphere, great spell for storing PPE, beats the heck out of talismans for setting up that big "Blow it all up" spell.

Except for it's short duration.
I was so :roll: about that, that I made up my own spell that auto renewed itself using what PPE was stored in it. (See the Invented spell topic to see what I can up with.)
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Lenwen wrote:1) - Mage gathered all the PPE they could muster (supplimental threw Ley Lines mostly)
Lvl 5 LLW with a Base PPE of 305. ME (15), PE (16) : 305 PPE, x3 = 915 PPE total.

How did you come to a Base PPE of 305 for a Ley Line Walker?

Base PPE is 3D6x10+20, plus the character's PE, plus 3D6 per additional level.

The max score (which requires rolling a 6 eighteen times in a row) at Level 5 with a PE of 16 is only 280. The average is a much more humble 183.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mack wrote:
Lenwen wrote:1) - Mage gathered all the PPE they could muster (supplimental threw Ley Lines mostly)

How did you come to a Base PPE of 305 for a Ley Line Walker?

Base PPE is 3D6x10+20, plus the character's PE, plus 3D6 per additional level.

The max score (which requires rolling a 6 eighteen times in a row) at Level 5 with a PE of 16 is only 280. The average is a much more humble 183.

Was not going for average. :P

3d6x10 (180)+20+PE(30) = 230. (maxxed PE an all rolls.)

3d6* per lvl, 5 lvls = 90 (again maxxed out)

230+90* = 320*. Wow my math was all wrong .. I think I ended up putting in a Maxxed out ME was it .. into the mix ?

Which places the LLW's maxxed out PPE of 320* x 3 (limit of what the LLW can "Suppliment" his own PPE Pool with ) which is 960* PPE total, minus the 120 PPE for the spell itself, 840* PPE can be placed into the Energy Sphere, yet for the lvl limit of PPE (500 for a 5th lvl LLW)

Which places the TOTAL Max amount of PPE not at 1'960* PPE . At lvl 5.

But at a much lower overall amount of 1'810 PPE (supplimented 810 PPE, and 2 Energy Sphere's 500 PPE each max)

I beleive I actually did this right this time, if not can ya show me where I went wrong ?

(*Edited again due to baord warning for saying 2d4 per lvl, not 3d6 .. )
Last edited by Lenwen on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

2D4 per level is wrong. It's 3D6/lvl.

And why stop at 2 Energy Spheres? If the mage can cast it more than once, there's no reason to stop at 2.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mack wrote:2D4 per level is wrong. It's 3D6/lvl.

And why stop at 2 Energy Spheres? If the mage can cast it more than once, there's no reason to stop at 2.

I ment 3d6 per lvl, my bad if my finger slipped I apologize for not catching it ..

And also you were the one who gave me the suggestion as the Energy sphere "Floats" over the shoulder, human beings have 2 shoulder's hence the limit of the spell .. in my games. 2 Spheres or 1 sphere per shoulder. I have since added your suggestion into my games as it seemed like a sound an resonable stop gap point for the energy sphere limitations.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Lenwen wrote:

I ment 3d6 per lvl, my bad if my finger slipped I apologize for not catching it ..

And also you were the one who gave me the suggestion as the Energy sphere "Floats" over the shoulder, human beings have 2 shoulder's hence the limit of the spell .. in my games. 2 Spheres or 1 sphere per shoulder. I have since added your suggestion into my games as it seemed like a sound an resonable stop gap point for the energy sphere limitations.

Wasn't me. My rule of thumb is only one sphere per mage. But that's just me.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mack wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Wasn't me. My rule of thumb is only one sphere per mage. But that's just me.

Coulda sworn it was you, Welp thanks anyways ..
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The wording in the ES spell gave rise to the interpritation that a single mage can not have more then 1 or 2 ES's from some GM's. Other then that, there is only the 'do you have enough PPE to cast the spell and put at least 1 PPE into it.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Lenwen wrote:

Bah why stop at two just because it says over the shoulder it isn't like when you look over your shoulder you can only see what is right there. Nah thousands of energy spheres spreading of in the distance behind you over each shoulder, but not behind your head... no the spell doesn't say behind your head. It would be like a big poorly executed split cloak in Oblivion that sticks straight out from your shoulders... so hows that work when you turn? Does it instantaniusly track or does follow you in a graceful trail, showing your path? :clown: Joking of course.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Bah why stop at two just because it says over the shoulder it isn't like when you look over your shoulder you can only see what is right there. Nah thousands of energy spheres spreading of in the distance behind you over each shoulder,

I have been ruling .. Over the Shoulder in line with your skull.

One per shoulder if there are more then one per shoulder its not in line with your skull and body and thus not over the shoulder at all but rather either in front of your shoulder or in back of your shoulder.

This is how I've started to rule Energy Sphere in my games. As I think when the person pointed that out to me it felt the most right as it were .. :)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Lenwen wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Bah why stop at two just because it says over the shoulder it isn't like when you look over your shoulder you can only see what is right there. Nah thousands of energy spheres spreading of in the distance behind you over each shoulder,

I have been ruling .. Over the Shoulder in line with your skull.

One per shoulder if there are more then one per shoulder its not in line with your skull and body and thus not over the shoulder at all but rather either in front of your shoulder or in back of your shoulder.

This is how I've started to rule Energy Sphere in my games. As I think when the person pointed that out to me it felt the most right as it were .. :)

it could also be above the spot that's over your shoulder :P

additionally, they *are* insubstantial. as a non-physical construct (i'd say object, but they really aren't even that), they could quite possibly occupy the same location in space.

Return to “Rifts®”