Barbarian OCC Gender?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Barbarian OCC Gender?

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The OCC's that have listed gender restrictions have gender restrictions.

The OCC's that do not have listed gender restrictions do not.

This. Anything else is up to you as the GM (or player)
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Barbarian OCC Gender?

Unread post by Rogerd »

Borast wrote:Excerpt from setting in question on page 4 of the Kickstarter FAQ:
For most, discrimination of any sort is rare. Although strong racial bias does exist in backward corners of the world and among the ignorant...

On the same page, they mention that some bickering about religion exits. This tends to end-up in tensions and descrimination. Look at what happened in SE Asia not long ago, when different sects of Bhuddists - the most peaceful "religion" on the planet I am aware of - were killing each other over access to a specific temple!

Add in that one Empire is called the "Empire of Man"... Nation states tend to produce lots of "-isms," not the least of which is Nationalism.

That being said, yes, on a very brief review the setting does appear to strip as much xenophobia and "isms" as possible.

As long as we "keep score," "-isms" will still exist, even if only as a reason to advance/improve oneself.

Just to help, as this is from the actual book - it is beautiful by the way and well worth spending money as it could easily be incorporated into Palladium, likely Heroes / Aliens Unlimited.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/31 ... ign-Primer

Alessia 5-7 wrote:While there are organizations and ideas that still divide some of Alessia’s people, many of the older social fetters – things like sexism and racism – have long since become historical markers for Alessia’s people to remember; they are the times of darkness that forever inform the Light.

Distrust and racism often reign because they’re low hanging fruit; we understand our world through the filters we’re constrained by, coupled with the media we choose to actively consume.

All of these elements are threads – woven into the greater tapestry that is Alessia’s living, breathing, and evolving culture. Will there be content where hate, sexism, or, racism are a driving factor? Sure, but they’re no longer the driving factors for the majority of Alessia’s problems.

I also knew, early on, that I wanted Alessia to be a culturally rich and diverse place, with a host of 20+ species living together in relative harmony. I wanted to do it without relying on age-old tropes that promoted racism and similar prejudices.

Alessia 134 wrote:Many fantasy settings rely on hate, ‘racial tensions’, and age-old cultural grievances to drive stories. While these tropes work for a lot of settings, Alessia’s history is not one inspired by Tolkien’s works alone but is instead an expression of a shared struggle between a multiplicity of species, peoples, and ideas. And while Alessia isn’t without those challenges, the majority of its struggles and tensions lie in the past, remembered by generations and shared as a lesson to the future: we are not alone and must work together.

Alessia is a complex world where personal and philosophical visions dominate social horizons and only those individuals who have embraced isolation or xenophobia really display any kind of overt racism.

Alessia 137 wrote:While we hope GMs and players will maturely address topics like hate and racism at their tables, we don’t want to bake it into the game. We certainly don’t want players to point to their character sheets and say, “Nope. It says right here I have the hatred trait” and use that as a justifi cation to harass or disrupt play because “that’s what my character would do.”

Alessia 300 wrote:Unlike many traditional fantasy worlds, the World of Alessia exists in a socially advanced state, and things such as racism and sexism have long since been purged from the collective social consciousness. This social standard is best exemplifi ed in Alessia’s space program, which projects harmony and unity at a global level

So as discussed upthread, they can, and do exist, in settings, but it is not a case of one species hating another, but more individual cases.
I hope this helps?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/24 ... ore-Manual

Esper Genesis would be well worth including into any Heroes / Aliens Unlimited game. it is utterly fantastic.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”