"Ma Deuce" to retire. We'll miss you old girl

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yeah, it's amazing how long some piece of gear can serve before something new/better/more effective/cheaper comes along to replace it.

I think the M2-M3 family is just about the longest continually serving piece of hardware in any nation's inventory about now.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Shin Kenshiro

Unread post by Shin Kenshiro »

Jefffar wrote:Yeah, it's amazing how long some piece of gear can serve before something new/better/more effective/cheaper comes along to replace it.

I think the M2-M3 family is just about the longest continually serving piece of hardware in any nation's inventory about now.

Actually, that honor goes to the Marine Corps' Officer's sword, the Mamaluke. It's been an official combat weapon since the late 1700's, and the USMC NCO sword is the 2nd oldest weapon in continuous use.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Interesting.

I'd be tempted to disagree due to the sword currently being used as article of dress uniform rather than a weapon

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well the thing is, in the real world this is a crew served weapon.

In an RPG, it's a pistol.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Jefffar wrote:Interesting.

I'd be tempted to disagree due to the sword currently being used as article of dress uniform rather than a weapon

it's still classified as a combat weapon. and when your in close range with no more ammo see which you'd prefer to use. a sword or your fist when the other guy has a gun pointed too close to you.

though as far as a weapon that still see REGULAR use. . . proablly a pistol or some other sidearm.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Considering how long it will take the old weapons to wear out, even if the Army stops purchasing the M-2, there will be several decades before it fades from service.

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

what about combat knives, trench knives or the like? how long has the USMC used the ka bar?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

According to the KA-BAR website https://www.kabar.com/history.jsp the Marines adopted the KA-BAR knife in 1942.

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”