Best Sword/Melee OCC/RCC?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Best Sword/Melee OCC/RCC?

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I've searched the boards but couldn't find any input. I'm looking to put together a really awesome swordsman, and I'm looking for the best occ/rcc combos/ hth technique and even weapon suggestions. I don't care where the info comes from, I have all the books. If the bonuses are 10+, 20+ that's fine, it's sort of what I'm looking for. Think like Jedi Master or any master swordsman from a movie, cutting bullets from the air, etc.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Best Sword/Melee OCC/RCC?

Unread post by say652 »

Ancient Weapons Master, powers unlimited two.
Just blades, just a BAMF!!

Amaki Duelist, psychic master swordsman. Psi sword and a Forcefield, that's all they need.

Juicer, those hopped up muscle heads got mad skills.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

My choice, for rifts earth.

Vanguard Brawler Ancient Weapons Master.
Even a minor Rune sword is too much. Lol.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer

This will likely be a megaversal plot, so gonna try to stick to MDC beings. But I appreciate the input so far, I'm going to look at all of them and see what's up.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Vanguard Brawler coalition war campaign.
Minor mdc being. Kinda lame.

Since its Megaversal, might I suggest a Seljuk or Ojahee. More mdc and supernatural strength.
Ojahee have a vaguely human appearance.

Checked the books and Mastery in all ancient weapons, costs all secondary and half skill programs.

What is the name of those six arm elf thingys from Palladium Fantasy??
A six armed weapon master would be terrifying.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Not sure about the best race for it but thanks to Ninjas and Super-spies there are several sword-focused martial arts in the two books and techniques that can add to their effectiveness. Zanji Shinjinken-Ryu for skill focused into the Daisho set (Katana and Wakasashi), Iai-Jutsu for enhanced Initiative and Sword Chi Technique so he can turn one of his weapons that he's named and spent a few weeks with into a mega-damage dealing weapon against supernatural creatures simply by channeling part of his chi into it. If you used a Dedicated Martial Artist he could take that and Tae Kwon Do to add in Body Hardening techniques that would provide MDC or mix one of those with the technique that lets him detect all attacks in a short distance around him as it provides impressive combat bonuses to add to the rest and it negates being surprised in most cases.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer

I always forget Ninja's and superspies, I'll check that out now.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nightmask wrote:Not sure about the best race for it but thanks to Ninjas and Super-spies there are several sword-focused martial arts in the two books and techniques that can add to their effectiveness. Zanji Shinjinken-Ryu for skill focused into the Daisho set (Katana and Wakasashi), Iai-Jutsu for enhanced Initiative and Sword Chi Technique so he can turn one of his weapons that he's named and spent a few weeks with into a mega-damage dealing weapon against supernatural creatures simply by channeling part of his chi into it. If you used a Dedicated Martial Artist he could take that and Tae Kwon Do to add in Body Hardening techniques that would provide MDC or mix one of those with the technique that lets him detect all attacks in a short distance around him as it provides impressive combat bonuses to add to the rest and it negates being surprised in most cases.

Like this idea.

If you go with Cyber Samurai, you get the Hand to Hand: samurai(zxfrrishinjinmomdemsikado) and a Bionic frame.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

MaxxSterling wrote:I always forget Ninja's and superspies, I'll check that out now.

Also chap Rifts Japan.

Cyber Samurai. A cool gm might allow an Oni Cyberai to take the Hand to Hand, limit the occ to Cyber Samurai but give that power house frame.
Nightmask
Palladin

say652 wrote:
MaxxSterling wrote:I always forget Ninja's and superspies, I'll check that out now.

Also chap Rifts Japan.

Cyber Samurai. A cool gm might allow an Oni Cyberai to take the Hand to Hand, limit the occ to Cyber Samurai but give that power house frame.

It's not impossible for a non-Samurai to take the Rifts: Japan version of Zanji (comes complete with the ability to make your own minor rune swords at level 12!) but it takes a good excuse for it as those trained in it are so indoctrinated in not sharing the secrets even races dedicated to torturing information out of people to get their secrets find it almost impossible to get any information out of someone with the Japan version of Zanji regarding the creation of the rune swords.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

class: Bloodletter (manhunter)
Race: Juerdu (Land of the damned 1)
With 6 energy blades (HU;Aliens Unlimited)
Has encountered some strange stuff (mutant: HU2 MB) gaining Nat Combat Ability from Rifter 1 [because it is the better one], Danger Sense & Multi-Tasking & Pause Temporal Flow (PU3)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Whatever you choose, use Rifter #30's article on specialization to make them even more ridiculously better.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:class: Bloodletter (manhunter)
Has encountered some strange stuff (mutant: HU2 MB) gaining Nat Combat Ability from Rifter 1 [because it is the better one], Danger Sense & Multi-Tasking & Pause Temporal Flow (PU3)

And trained in zanji or muithai for the lightning attack.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

A gene splicer experiment that is a combo of a quick flex alien and a hundred handed.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I would ask to use a mutant with five minor powers.
Jack up the Iniative to ludicrous levels and food a power to dodge bullets n energy.

Add on a Phaseworld alien race for some flava.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

In the hands of the hundred handed/quick flex with martial arts have a crystal sword from island at the edge of the world a dragon slayer from dragons and gods, a greatest rune weapon from one of the many books that have them and an artifact from Nightspawn (I forget which sourcebook). Then a balloon animal sword, a hedge trimmer, a sling blade and a toy sword.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Sidestep.
Extraordinary Physical Prowess.
Extraordinary Speed.
Radar.
Heightened sense of Hearing.

Plus Phaseworld alien.
Incredible supernatural attributes.
Supernatural mdc.
Resist energy 1/4(1/2 magic& psionics).
Magical abilities equal to Techno Wizard.

The Fetaions.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Zer0 Kay wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:class: Bloodletter (manhunter)

And trained in zanji or muithai for the lightning attack.

nope...just h2h MA.

Was intuiting the four letter descriptive without wandering into conversion mode by using Karmic Power. And adding a bit of a grievous element to the mix.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I think hand to hand Expert is better, some bonuses are lower but the critical hit from behind is really really handy.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

say652 wrote:I think hand to hand Expert is better, some bonuses are lower but the critical hit from behind is really really handy.

Some of the N&S give crit and KO from behind
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
say652 wrote:I think hand to hand Expert is better, some bonuses are lower but the critical hit from behind is really really handy.

Lightens up the background.
Yes I got crazy sword skills but my uncle was an army vet and taught me how to fight.
Nightmask
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:

Zanji actually starts with Critical Strike from Behind, so best watch out for the guy with the Diasho.

MaxxSterling
Adventurer

That's some of the next level stuff I was looking for. Thanks, I'll be checking into all of this and seeing what works best.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Zanji actually starts with Critical Strike from Behind, so best watch out for the guy with the Diasho.

Gotta love ZSR.
Nightmask
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Gotta love ZSR.

Definitely in the top area of my list for a choice if I have one.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Gotta love ZSR.

Granted I also love MTKB and the lightning attack but I don't think it is usable with swords.
Nightmask
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Some of the N&S give crit and KO from behind

Gotta love ZSR.

Granted I also love MTKB and the lightning attack but I don't think it is usable with swords.

I never found it that appealing, probably because you burn all your attacks in that first attack and have nothing left but trying to dodge if you can't take them out with that (and there are certainly people who can take all of that).

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote: Zanji actually starts with Critical Strike from Behind, so best watch out for the guy with the Diasho.

Gotta love ZSR.

I never found it that appealing, probably because you burn all your attacks in that first attack and have nothing left but trying to dodge if you can't take them out with that (and there are certainly people who can take all of that).

Ah yes but what is the difference between doing all your attacks first and taking turns with your opponent? IF you can put them down first you get no damage, unless they simultaneously attack, which shouldn't be allowed because your so fast and then you parry or dodge the rest. While the normal if there was a chance of taking them out with all your attacks, you are just as susceptible to theirs.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Jeridu Ancient Weapons Master.
Using six greatest rune swords.

The Cheese Grater.
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

Using HU, simply pick an appropriate Alien race (for damage go mineral, for dexterity go Cat, for resilience go android, or for the more Megaversal so with an established one), High Gravity/Low Gravity world, and Physical training as your Hero type. Using the rules in Gramercy Island, drop the Special abilities to take ZSR. That's all book legal. Arguably, one could argue that Aliens could take Ancient Weapon Master as their Hero type, but the rules do not explicitly say they can. Since we're munchkining, let's say i'ts allowed. Arm them with an energy sword (+1 s/p) that they crafted themselves (+3 s/p, +6 damage)

There are of course, numerous superpowers that can also make a terrifying fencer (Ext. PP, Weapon Melding, Prodigious Limbs, Karmic Power, ME: Metal) throw those on a Reformed Demon, Supersoldier, or Symbiote.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

MaxxSterling wrote:I've searched the boards but couldn't find any input. I'm looking to put together a really awesome swordsman, and I'm looking for the best occ/rcc combos/ hth technique and even weapon suggestions. I don't care where the info comes from, I have all the books. If the bonuses are 10+, 20+ that's fine, it's sort of what I'm looking for. Think like Jedi Master or any master swordsman from a movie, cutting bullets from the air, etc.

Race: the Tirrvol "Sword Fist" guys from CWC/DoNA as a race, they have a natural WP Sword Ability that IS superior to the learned version. Their swords damage is PS based (average score should put it at 21-26 BEFORE any additional skills so damage should be respectable)
Class: Something with HTH: Samurai or Kendo (from Rifts Japan), Amaki Duelist. These options require the alien to be trained, for various reasons they may not be. I want to say Cyber-Knight or Psi-Warrior, but I don't think that is the case. Wasn't there a swordsman class in Manhunter? I don't know how that one would compare.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Choirboy from Manhunter, Karmic Power defeats all. Bloodletter's parry bonus is also cute.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

say652 wrote:Jeridu Ancient Weapons Master.
Using six greatest rune swords.

The Cheese Grater.

Yep, if none of them are bonded to the char that is possible...but once one is bonded with the char things would be more dicy having more then one.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Natural combat ability from Rifter #1 is over powered. I see why they watered it down.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SittingBull wrote:Natural combat ability from Rifter #1 is over powered. I see why they watered it down.

They didn't water it down....they made it into a Minor Power w/o moving it into the minor powers.
SittingBull
Hero

Minor you say?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SittingBull wrote:Minor you say?

because of the limitations they inserted into it.
SittingBull
Hero

Wow every GM on this sight treats the reduced version a major.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SittingBull wrote:Wow every GM on this sight treats the reduced version a major.

*shrugs* That is because it is listed as one, and not all have Rifter 1.

I was just stating my opinions on that you can not add any bonuses for WPs, any h2hs and MAF's (including boxing and wrestling) to those of the NCA from HU2MB, not a "ruling".
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
SittingBull wrote:Natural combat ability from Rifter #1 is over powered. I see why they watered it down.

They didn't water it down....they made it into a Minor Power w/o moving it into the minor powers.

Ummmm I don't see how it could be a 'minor power'
It grants huge combat bonuses, massive numbers of APM, and the opponents H2H skill...
It is in many ways significantly more powerful than the power in Rifter #1 which is basically H2H: Super Power
However in the interests of not threadjacking this with an off topic discussion of NCA....
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=149205
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

This power is great for unarmed combat since it doesn't compromise the bonuses you get from HtH skills.

The main problem is with weapon combat. It's great at low levels since it can take a while to accrue strike/parry bonuses.

The problem is at higher levels because eventually WP skills provide more than +2 and this prevents you from getting to those upper levels.

A way around this would be to also get the Powers Unlimited 1 major of Weapon Melding. This also prevents you from learning any weapon proficiencies, however it lets use use weapons as if you had them (at higher level to boot) which bypasses NAC's problem, since you now not only get the +2 but also the bonuses from the Weapon Proficiencies.

NAC+Melding = godly.

I also wonder how it works with the Ancient Weapons Expert from Powers Unlimited 2. They can't learn weapon proficiencies either, but do get special classes bonuses to weapons which NAC would not interfere with.

How godly would it be to have an AWE equipped with a magic sword that gave both NAC and Melding? =/
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

What about something simple like a Cyber Knight as a starting point? In a high tech world the anti-tech can be pretty nasty, they have a lot of skills available, able to add on a few psychics,plus can be played by most races and count as a Men at Arms if you go into stacking OCCs. For example, Cyber Knight turned Tattoo Man/Undead Slayer for the MDC aspect. It is also easy enough to go Sea Titan CK, or similar.

You always have the add ons if need be. Tattoos, Bio-Wizardry, Cybernetics etc still available.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”