So is Palladium going to make an Australia book 2?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Calaran
D-Bee

So is Palladium going to make an Australia book 2?

Unread post by Calaran »

So is Australia Book 2 going to be produced or is the teasers just going to be on the back of other source books Year After year After year....
I Just started a campaign in Australia and really want a Bushman.. I set the time frame in the Chaos Earth Era.. and I need some info on the bushman..
Wooly
Adventurer

Re: So is Palladium going to make an Australia book 2?

Unread post by Wooly »

Last I heard it was canceled sometime ago: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28634

A bushman is a merely a vagabond, no?
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

No.
The manuscript for Australia 2 was bad enough that Palladium decided to never publish it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Blastaar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Home of the Xiticix...
Hudsons Wheigh is located near my actual home of Gillam and not Gitlam

Unread post by Blastaar »

so it went the way of the dodo. like rifts Scotland and rifts Antarctica is what KC is saying..
Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Blastaar wrote:so it went the way of the dodo. like rifts Scotland and rifts Antarctica is what KC is saying..

And now we'll never experience the awe and wonder of reading about MDC Haggis, TW Bagpipes, or demonic penguins.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

Well now hold on, the idea of Demonic Emperor Penguins and an army of enslaved mutant sea lions has me intrigued.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Wooly wrote:Last I heard it was canceled sometime ago: http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/foru ... =8&t=28634

The fact that the provided link leads to a thread over a decade old, (a decade...) and might as well have been written TODAY regarding business practices, says everything that ever needs to be said in the ever-decreasing forum traffic thread in All Things.
Insert 400 character limit here.
Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

I *luvvved* Aussie 1, so I really hope it gets revisited.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

There was never a manuscript for Australia 2, or for that matter book 3. There was just one huge manuscript. It went way over the maximum page count for the submission, but in phone calls to Kev, Kev told Ben to keep writing, as he was totally enthused about what Ben was coming up with. And also they were bouncing ideas between them as well.

There were some rumours on the boards in the last couple of years that someone else was going to be working on Rifts:Oz book 2 (maybe 3 as well?), but nothing has come from that. Even if they did, they wouldn't be able to use the content submitted by Ben, as that was contractually his ideas. Sure, they're PBs 'ideas' now, but they were meant to pay Ben, not someone else.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Blastaar wrote:so it went the way of the dodo. like rifts Scotland and rifts Antarctica is what KC is saying..

The Antartica SB sounds awesome! I didnt know it was cancelled - I think Matt is an awesome writer. What happened?? :eek:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

This has come up before.

The short answer is 'No.'

The longer answer is... well. I've heard repeatedly from different sources. "More complicated"

With out going into detail on the open boards, the "Reasoning" behind Aussie 2 not being published, is a good one. One that we'd all applaud Kevin for. If the reasoning I've heard is true. I believe it, but I'm not going to post it openly and court the wrath of Mod. As I don't "KNOW". I wasn't "THERE". It's just the same story I've heard from people, over and over, and even people that don't agree on anything, have repeated the same reason to me.

I'll tell people in PM's if they want to know, with the firm understanding that it's not a 'fact' but a persistent reason that's come up every time someone mentions it, and that they can believe it or not on their own.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

The Dark Elf wrote:

The Antartica SB sounds awesome! I didnt know it was cancelled - I think Matt is an awesome writer. What happened?? :eek:

Greetings and Salutations. Fairly sure that was discussing a different Rifts Antartica book, kind of like how there was a different Lemuria book that was cancelled (before the more recent version). I believe (but not positive) that the Matthew Clements version is one of the many manuscripts that Kevin hasn't gotten around to because he's so busy and not a top priority. Also , when it was first announced, I recall some rage over the idea (can't recall why). I actually think it was a wise move that it has been played down since. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Prysus wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. Fairly sure that was discussing a different Rifts Antartica book, kind of like how there was a different Lemuria book that was cancelled (before the more recent version). I believe (but not positive) that the Matthew Clements version is one of the many manuscripts that Kevin hasn't gotten around to because he's so busy and not a top priority. Also , when it was first announced, I recall some rage over the idea (can't recall why). I actually think it was a wise move that it has been played down since. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

Phew!

I think the few angry vocalists about an Antartica book were more along the lines of why Antartica over something already announced or more relevant to the NA continent, not because they disliked it in itself. Not sure they understood that it wasnt a given assignment or that it is a submission that is good enough that it requires not so much editing time ergo a possibility for actually seeing the light of day...
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Killer Cyborg
Priest

MY objection to the Antartica book was that Rifts Earth is already over-populated, and adding populations to places that weren't really populated in the first place is even worse.

In an infinite megaverse, with literally endless possibilities, writers keep wanting to stick to the old "let's rehash modern cliches by sticking them in Rifts Earth" rut that they've been in since England.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

It doesn't bother me that much. We have people on Antarctica now. Research stations and the like. During the 'Golden age of man' it would have been even more. It's got natural resources that were likely fought for when other sources started to deplete, which would cause more population there. So.. Rifts happen, Add on (Yes stereotypical) Magical element, future Frozen Tech Element and roll with it.

While I can agree. Rifts Earth started off as a 'sparsely populated post apoc' setting it hasn't been that for over a decade. Some would say two decades. They departed from that sterotype pretty quick. Trying to hold it there just doesn't fit with the 50+ books we have for the setting.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:It doesn't bother me that much. We have people on Antarctica now. Research stations and the like. During the 'Golden age of man' it would have been even more. It's got natural resources that were likely fought for when other sources started to deplete, which would cause more population there. So.. Rifts happen, Add on (Yes stereotypical) Magical element, future Frozen Tech Element and roll with it.

While I can agree. Rifts Earth started off as a 'sparsely populated post apoc' setting it hasn't been that for over a decade. Some would say two decades. They departed from that sterotype pretty quick. Trying to hold it there just doesn't fit with the 50+ books we have for the setting.

Agreed on all points.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:It doesn't bother me that much. We have people on Antarctica now. Research stations and the like. During the 'Golden age of man' it would have been even more. It's got natural resources that were likely fought for when other sources started to deplete, which would cause more population there. So.. Rifts happen, Add on (Yes stereotypical) Magical element, future Frozen Tech Element and roll with it.

Agreed on all points.

We have a handful off people there now, who would die off quickly in an apocalypse.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

Agreed on all points.

We have a handful off people there now, who would die off quickly in an apocalypse.

*Points to post* We're not as advanced as the world was when the rifts came. The golden age of science let humanity do pretty much what ever it wanted where ever it wanted. There's more than a hand full of people there now. You just don't often hear about them. There's bunches of stations down there from bunches of nations. With the ice melting and resources being what they are, the countries are going to want to stake claim for resource grab if nothing else. heck there could have been wars over it before it was all said and done. Once claims were made, there would need to be military presence to secure them and keep from claim jumping from other countries. Not just scientists but the crews there to gather the resources would increase the population even more. Scientists+resource gatherers (Drillers, miners, whatever) Military to protect them. Administration, then likely families of those (Golden age of man, they could build habitats or something), Poof you've got a population down there.

Rifts come. They're cut off, they'd likely react much like the space stations did. Turning to one another and depending on one another to survive in the harsh envrionment. You gotta think the people that were living here were pretty rough and tumble to start with.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

:shrug:

I'm not saying it's impossible for a colony to survive, just that it's stupid.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Killer Cyborg wrote::shrug:

I am going to have to agree with Killer Cyborg here....the plausibility of the survival of an Antarctic colony is so thin that it makes the space stations seem sure things.... :bandit:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Australia 2 is due out a couple weeks after Old Kingdom Lowlands.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

eliakon wrote:

I am going to have to agree with Killer Cyborg here....the plausibility of the survival of an Antarctic colony is so thin that it makes the space stations seem sure things.... :bandit:

Count me in as well.

Mark Hall wrote:Australia 2 is due out a couple weeks after Old Kingdom Lowlands.

Are you serious or are you trolling?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Well if you read the coming of Rifts, it's pretty stupid for anything to have survived. *Shrugs* Could be explained by 'Magic' or... as it's antartica "Lack of magic" or other things. The habitats that were built with golden age of science tech would need to be very strong, perhaps using that tech they have bio domes that weathered the coming of rifts better.

Could be a dozen things.

Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

Mark Hall wrote:Australia 2 is due out a couple weeks after Old Kingdom Lowlands.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

I nearly spit my tea on my Lappy :P
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Antartica - "Arguing" (although more like a debate) over the contents of a book not yet published - wait til it comes out and IF there's humans there, start the post. Hehe

My fault for derailing I think so Australia 2 - liked the first book. Lots to do but the "missing" magical aspects kinda does make it lack a uniqueness as a setting. Its soooo stand alone being all the way on its own so it needs to be extra special to draw crowds (I mean RL gamers) away from the many ideas GMs have for NA or Europe.

PS LOVED the boldness of sinking half the continent!! More stuff like that!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

The Dark Elf wrote:

That's actually how Australia looked centuries ago. A large part of the center of Australia was a shallow inland sea. And there are portions of it that are still below sea level. There's a point on the coast line, think it's up in the north western part of Western Australia, that's not too far above the sea line as it stands now. If the sea level rises up high enough, then Australia would have an inland sea again.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

CyCo wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:

That's actually how Australia looked centuries ago. A large part of the center of Australia was a shallow inland sea. And there are portions of it that are still below sea level. There's a point on the coast line, think it's up in the north western part of Western Australia, that's not too far above the sea line as it stands now. If the sea level rises up high enough, then Australia would have an inland sea again.
:ok:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Has anyone every thought out a list of OCC etc from other books to bring in as replacements for Australia 2/3? You can always start with the Kittani dino robots in SA being furrned with belly pounches.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Killer Cyborg wrote:No.
The manuscript for Australia 2 was bad enough that Palladium decided to never publish it.

Or maybe it was too good and would overshadow all previous things too much? IE Carella Psyscape.

Killer Cyborg wrote:now we'll never experience the awe and wonder of reading about MDC Haggis, TW Bagpipes, or demonic penguins.

Basically got the last one in Underseas page 39.

Killer Cyborg wrote:MY objection to the Antartica book was that Rifts Earth is already over-populated, and adding populations to places that weren't really populated in the first place is even worse.

Could be possible to do a WB without adding much population. Maybe talk about how existing populations are spreading there, like the Atlantis/Horune setting up slave colonies there, Archie setting up a base, Ticonderoga and Free Quebec sending up scout ships that get lost, some APS Ice guy who manages to survive but goes insane from loneliness, etc. Maybe expand on the cold problem rules Canada added.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Tor wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:No.

Or maybe it was too good and would overshadow all previous things too much? IE Carella Psyscape.

?

Killer Cyborg wrote:now we'll never experience the awe and wonder of reading about MDC Haggis, TW Bagpipes, or demonic penguins.

Basically got the last one in Underseas page 39.

More's the pity.

Killer Cyborg wrote:MY objection to the Antartica book was that Rifts Earth is already over-populated, and adding populations to places that weren't really populated in the first place is even worse.

Could be possible to do a WB without adding much population. Maybe talk about how existing populations are spreading there, like the Atlantis/Horune setting up slave colonies there, Archie setting up a base, Ticonderoga and Free Quebec sending up scout ships that get lost, some APS Ice guy who manages to survive but goes insane from loneliness, etc. Maybe expand on the cold problem rules Canada added.

Boring and seemingly pointless. You'd have to have one hell of a macguffin to get everybody there, because there's no realistic reason for it, and all for what?
To chalk off another part of the world as having the same stuff as the rest of it?

Kiltduderackham
D-Bee
Comment: "Death is only the beginning."

Unread post by Kiltduderackham »

Supposedly ther used to be a Nazi base built in Antaritca that was storing documents and artifacts in preperation for the Fourth Reich. http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=30249

Also H.P.Lovecraft's books The Mountains of Madness talks about an advanced ancient alien civilization that existed in Antartica. That could end up being some sort of alien intelligence that is plotting world domination, but is being held back by the new Fourth Reich which although evil is holding a power even more evil. Then maybe the CS has some contact with this other large human superemasist group.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
-Arthur C. Clarke

Return to “Rifts®”