Warning this post may scare some of you!: Modern Pathenon

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Warning this post may scare some of you!: Modern Pathenon

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Okay it occurred that we have ancient and a number alien Pathenons. Now I was wondering how would you as GM make a modern pantheon based on modern sciences and knowledge? The concept are gods/goddesses created in the modern age.

One thought was people who invented the items we use like Tesla or others fameous for the use such items like William H Bonny.

I have a few vague notions and some ideas.

Gods/Goddess:

Chemistry (Alchemy?)

Ballistics (Guns, Ammo and projectile weaponry of the infantry)

Heavy ordnance/Armor (Bombs, missiles and maybe tanks)

Aircraft

Deep Sea

Computer/Circuit based tech (Communications as secondary or as a twin similar to Apollo and Artemis)
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Warning this post may scare some of you!: Modern Patheno

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Read American Gods by Niel Gaiman.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Rimmerdal
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:Read American Gods by Niel Gaiman.

Funny you mention that...I am reading it now. So far I like it.
taalismn wrote:

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

It's pretty amazing, yeah.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. You'll have to forgive that my inner science geek is lacking, but tech stuff has never been my strong suit.

Anyways, the question was what would we (in this specific case "I") do as a G.M.? Well since I'm not as familiar with all the science stuff I probably wouldn't. But that doesn't really answer the question so my thoughts are...

Inventors gain power through our use if their technology. The more we use something (especially if we become dependent upon it) the more powerful that god gets. After something falls out off common use (possibly by becoming obsolete), that god loses power. The designer of penicillin could be a powerful medical god, and the inventor of electricity perhaps the most powerful of all gods.

The question if inventor brings up a different aspect though. Example, the conflict between Edison and Tesla, accredited vs. designer. In such a case, I'd rule in favor of accredited. More people will think of Edison in its use, and as such he'd get more energy. Since Tesla isn't forgotten by everyone (and did other things), he's still a god, just not as powerful. This could create some inner pantheon conflicts.

Note: I'd think of people who used such devices in famous ways (but didn't invent them) more as demi-gods, but not gods in their own right. I'd actually think if them more like how the Norse pantheon took great warriors into Valhalla.

Hmm... guess I didn't discuss specific pantheons as the gods themselves, huh? Sorry. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Machine Cult! The Adeptus Mechanicus will hunt you down and turn you into a mono-task servitor for this heresy!

Rimmerdal
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:Machine Cult! The Adeptus Mechanicus will hunt you down and turn you into a mono-task servitor for this heresy!

They can kiss my big fat hairy Heresy...:P
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. You'll have to forgive that my inner science geek is lacking, but tech stuff has never been my strong suit.

Anyways, the question was what would we (in this specific case "I") do as a G.M.? Well since I'm not as familiar with all the science stuff I probably wouldn't. But that doesn't really answer the question so my thoughts are...

Inventors gain power through our use if their technology. The more we use something (especially if we become dependent upon it) the more powerful that god gets. After something falls out off common use (possibly by becoming obsolete), that god loses power. The designer of penicillin could be a powerful medical god, and the inventor of electricity perhaps the most powerful of all gods.

The question if inventor brings up a different aspect though. Example, the conflict between Edison and Tesla, accredited vs. designer. In such a case, I'd rule in favor of accredited. More people will think of Edison in its use, and as such he'd get more energy. Since Tesla isn't forgotten by everyone (and did other things), he's still a god, just not as powerful. This could create some inner pantheon conflicts.

Note: I'd think of people who used such devices in famous ways (but didn't invent them) more as demi-gods, but not gods in their own right. I'd actually think if them more like how the Norse pantheon took great warriors into Valhalla.

Hmm... guess I didn't discuss specific pantheons as the gods themselves, huh? Sorry. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

That sounds like it might work. Tesla and Edison would likely be closely matched but I get the idea. and that would make sense there inventions being used instead worshipers is nice thought. Could see some power of knowledge providing for such a group.

That gives something to think on.
taalismn wrote:

arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

Food for thought: I once read a book where a new god of war, Tech, sprang up after humans had reached a certain level of technology, and humans' belief in the power of their war machines (missiles, tanks, guns, etc) strengthened Tech.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I am playing something similiar currently. Nephelonious Moonshade Lord of a Shadow Plane. (That would a supernatural intelligence) and the only other Pantheon member Desmond Moonshade Herald of Shadows (a godling with 6 Pantheon powers) and PowerSurge the mutant son of Thor aka Simon Thunorson. Kinda just hangsout and smashes stuff and is always carousing with mortals when not slaying monsters.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I am also considering doing a New Pantheon.
A pantheon war over Freya (those who know, well know) then of course when bothsides are weakened enter the splugorth. The surviving gods are now lead by Apollo
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Spier-man villain Tracer turned out to be a god of machines, not a human god of machinery, but a new deity worshiped by technology itself...
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”