What sort of starship flaws can you think of?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bigwhitehound

Re: What sort of starship flaws can you think of?

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

zedjagder wrote:
bigwhitehound wrote:Ships layout doesn't match blueprints. Takes 2D4 times longer to get anywhere, until the ships layout can be mapped.

Storage areas are too small for what they are suppose to hold or smaller than the plans say. The 100x100x50ft cargo bay is half that size. The food storage room that's met to hold 45 days of food for 5, is 8x8x8ft.

I can fit a whole lot of Raman noodles int a 8x8x8ft. closet with enough room left for the hot sauce! :lol:

So could I, but would you Really want to eat them every meal for 45 days?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

zedjagder wrote:
bigwhitehound wrote:[

So could I, but would you Really want to eat them every meal for 45 days?

Um...well...lets see, I'm a broke college student! Raman noodles, peanut butter & jelly and tang make up my entire diet. So, since I have been eating a consistant diet of it for the last year and a half I'd have to say that fourty-five days is a walk in the park that I can do standing on my head! :lol:

Which leads to the situation where Zed's the only one left alive on the ship after 45+ days of living on noodles(provided one of his companions doesn't eat him). :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

LOL Those are some great ones. Please keep them coming!!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
bigwhitehound

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

thought of this after watching a Lexx episode.

Living Ship
This ship is alive. A living creature, either grown to be a ship or modified into one; either way it is alive, with thoughts and a more or less sentient A.I.

Flaws:
Old ship, this ship has been around the galaxies way to long and it’s starting to show. Reduce all ship stats by 1D4x10%, plus the ship A.I. has memory problems.

Captain: “Ship raise the shields”
Ship: “Yes captain” (ship mutters to self, over intercom) raise the shields..... now how do I do that again.... is this it? (lights go out), nope.... how about this one (fire fighting system comes on and sprays all over the ship)

Captain: “Ship take us to Phase World”
Ship: “Yes captain” (ship mutters to self, over intercom) Phase World... now where was that again? Where did I put my glasses and atlas? Oh well I think it’s this way, I’m sure I’ll remember along the way. Now how do I use my FTL Drive again?

To Young, this ship is physically mature but its A.I. is still a kid or at bests a young teen. Also the ship likes to show off and wines when it can’t get its own way.

Ship: “Why? Their only 12 anti-matter cruise missiles” “I’ll dodge em, watch!”

Ship: “Do I half to? PW is dull. Can’t we go play tag with a battle cruiser or surf a black hole?”
Captain “No, now please take us to Phase World.”
Ship: “Please, please, please, I’ll only surf the surface of the black hole. Pleeessseeeee.??????

Hungry, this ship hasn’t been “fed” in a while, so it has decided some of the crew will make a nice “snack”.

Bob: “Fred did the toilet just eat Eric and then burp?”
Fred: “yup”
Bob: “oh ****.”
Last edited by bigwhitehound on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn
Priest

bigwhitehound wrote:thought of this after watching a Zedd episode.

Living Ship
This ship is alive. A living creature, either grown to be a ship or modified into one; either way it is alive, with thoughts and a more or less sentient A.I.

Flaws:
Old ship, this ship has been around the galaxies way to long and it’s starting to show. Reduce all ship stats by 1D4x10%, plus the ship A.I. has memory problems.

Ship: “Yes captain” (ship mutters to self, over intercom) raise the shields..... now how do I do that again.... is this it? (lights go out), nope.... how about this one (fire fighting system comes on and sprays all over the ship)

Ship: “Yes captain” (ship mutters to self, over intercom) Phase World... now where was that again? Where did I put my glasses and atlas? Oh well I think it’s this way, I’m sure I’ll remember along the way. Now how do I use my FTL Drive again?

To Young, this ship is physically mature but its A.I. is still a kid or at bests a young teen. Also the ship likes to show off and wines when it can’t get its own way.

Ship: “Why? Their only 12 anti-matter cruise missiles” “I’ll dodge em, watch!”

Ship: “Do I half to? PW is dull. Can’t we go play tag with a battle cruiser or surf a black hole?”
Captain “No, now please take us to Phase World.”
Ship: “Please, please, please, I’ll only surf the surface of the black hole. Pleeessseeeee.??????

Hungry, this ship hasn’t been “fed” in a while, so it has decided some of the crew will make a nice “snack”.

Bob: “Fred did the toilet just eat Eric and then burp?”
Fred: “yup”
Bob: “oh ****.”

And of course the ship's organic systems make the most DISGUSTING sounds at inconvenient times(stomach rumblings, venting gas, loud pulsing noises, etc...).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LMAO!!!! Those are funny. Thank you for sharing them. Please keep them coming.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

"Bump"

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:"Bump"

So...how's the Great Compilation Project coming? :)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Still compiling. Although I should post a first edition. At least that way I can adjust when people see flaws in the table. :-D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Still compiling. Although I should post a first edition. At least that way I can adjust when people see flaws in the table. :-D

By all means. First editions just get interest up...and then appreciate in value(unless they're textboots, in which case they're worthless the next semester :badbad: ).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

Unusual Hitchiker This ship is playing host (probably unwillingly) to an energy-based being. This being is locked out of its home reality and unable to return, this might be because s/he/it's been banished, its on an adult-hood quest, wants some quiet time among primitives, whatever the DM decides. The unusual nature of the guests physiology means that it requires an anchor to stay in this dimension, and it has chosen the ship. However, since it exists in multiple dimensions at once, it has had to create identical copies of the portions it inhabits in those areas it inhabits, always the cargo bays.

While this might sound like a good thing (and it can be), the fact is those other dimensions your cargo is in? The ones inhabited by the guest? Yeah, they tend to be rather harsh environment. Harsh, like 80 or nintey degrees below zero or 3-400 degrees above zero, acid rain that would dissolve tank armor, wind storms that could uproot sky-scrapers, desserts of flakes and shards of diamond, side-by-side patches null gravity and 40-50 times normal gravity, dimensions where time runs in fits and starts (maybe hopping backwards occasionaly) instead of smoothly, things like that. Also, you don't get to choose which dimension you access at any given time, its a blind leap in (although leaving is always to the original bay). Also, no living beings beyond non-sentient plants and bugs can be stored within, or the dimension will tear itself loose and turn inside-out.

The dimensions always mirror the exact physical size of the cargo hold in terms of carrying capacity, but actually are infinite in every sense, you simply cannot advance any farther than the size of the hold. It would be like a baseline human trying to lift the Empire State Building, it just cannot happen. The dimensions are also "stacked" on one another, with nine on the bottom in a 3x3 square, the middle row of 3x3 with the 'middle' being the original, and one final 3x3 on top making a cube. While you might tecnically have 27 times the cargo capacity, most of them would not be able to store most items (at least, not for long), and with no way of accuratly selecting your destination, its like playing Russian Roulete with your cargo. For those not familiar with this particular ship (like stowaways, pirates, spies, and assassins), they can be death traps of the highest degree if entered into unwarned or unprepared.

The guest, while aware of the inconvenience of its housing requirements, is unable to entirely mitigate them. It can, at will, pluck anybody in one of the alternate dimensions back to the normal cargo bay, but doing so leaves the pluckee woozy and disoriented from the trip, -5 to all combat rolls, and last in terms of initiative for 1d4 rounds. The pluckees tend to shout things like "I have tasted the words God and smelled the colors of his robe!", stare blankely into space, and have trouble co-ordinating their own bodily functions; this is due to the fact that this mose transport means that they were temporairly linked mentally with alternate versions of themselves, as they would have been if they had evolved in that dimension. One good thing about the guest, is that since they are SO curious about this fascinating oddity, is that the ships sensors range and sensitivity are increased by 20%, and the ship has an increased acceleration and max speed of 10% due to subconsious tweaking by the guest.

Just a little something that has been bubbling away in my thoughts for a few days. Hope you enjoy!
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
taalismn
Priest

Nice adventure hook there, Roscoe. Kinda reminds me of the short-lived romance soap-opera/sci-fi series 'Defying Gravity' what with the Mystery Cargo Section to the ship.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I agree. Nice one Roscoe! Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

[Pokes head into thread] Hellooo! Anybody home? I've got a fresh baked batch of flaws if you want some? No? Well, I'll just leave them by the door if any of you want some. [Walks off muttering under his breath] People today, got NO respect for their threads. They go through all the trouble of making a thread, then can't even feed or walk if properly.
:-D Hope you all enjoy! :D

Ship of the Dumb: Any time the crew is on or within the ship, they are rendered completely, and utterly mute. There's nothing wrong with any of their vocal apparatus, they just cannot make any noise with their mouths or throat (not even lip smacking, whistles, clicks, or raspberries). It is highly suggested that they learn sign language, Morse code, and carry keyboards hooked up to audio-projection equipment. Guests and cargo are unaffected, only the crew is struck dumb.

Anachronistic Timepieces: The ship has its own revolutionary internal lighting system, a way of accurately transcribing the path of the sun and stars in relation to a specific planet, only without any clouds or other atmospheric disturbances. The problem? This means no automated lights OR clocks. All clocks are replaced with sun-dials and water-clocks throughout the entire ship, there are even digital ones for countdowns! The calendar has been replaced with a series of pictograms on wooden plates, when one day/month/year ends, the plate flips up, revealing the next one in line. alternatively, they are some highly advanced future tech accidentally sent back in time, and you need to figure out all the little ins and outs of the unknown calendar and time measuring system.

Aeronauts: This vessel (only applicable to those capable of both space and atmospheric flight) when it hits atmosphere must undergo a startling transformation: into a lighter than air vessel, essentially a Zeppelin, Dirigible, or Hot-Air Balloon! This transformation takes 2d4 melee rounds to accomplish, during that time no maneuvering or speed change is allowed, and afterwards, all piloting is altered to the appropriate skill and speed. The vessel will have some form of super-science or magic that will allow them to leave the atmosphere safely once their business is done, but their will need 3d4 minutes to change back to a spacecraft.

Failed Merchandise Bonanza: You might have gotten this vessel for a bargain (or even have stolen it), but it is absolutely cram-packed with the most useless collection of oddball junk and failed collectors items ever known. Most of this stuff isn't even REAL collectors items, but low budget knock offs and imitations (like Badgers Claws', and 'Ferrous Fellows Repelling Gloves' or 'Rat-arangs' and 'Ultraviolet Energy Bracers'), or from investors making a bunch of toys/cards/games/clothes/whatever for a predicted fad or hype that just never happened ('Authentic Splyncryth Chibi-Dolls with genuine oozing slime and smell! Get yours today!'), from something that has negative value, as in you need to pay people to TAKE IT, or is illegal in the current territory you happen to be in.

Every time a panel or compartment is opened, there's a 1d4% chance of 2d4x10 pounds of useless JUNK comes flying out and hitting everyone within 5 feet. There is so much stuff here, that it breaks the laws of physics, due to the fact that there is a persistent micro-rift to the Junk Planet (the place that the Great Machine sends its leftovers) that acts to fill all space in the ship. No matter how often the crew cleans out the junk, 2d4 days later, the ship is full to the brim again. Just opening the cargo bay and jettisoning it might work in deep space, but in most settled and civilized areas, the law might be a bit questioning about what your doing ("And exactly when did you boys buy these hideous dolls? None of our sensor records show any of you leaving that ship for two weeks! And is that a 'See-Ya Feline massager over there? They've been banned by every government known, even by the Splugorth! You better come along with us to the stations."), somehow I doubt that "It's a mystery officer, honestly it is!" will cut much slack.

Infernal Acoustics: The ship is built by beings that rely almost entirely on sounds as opposed to sight, so they designed it to transmit sound EXTREMELY well. Its entirely possible to whisper one end of the vessel and be heard on the other, its that good. The problems are that there's no way to turn it off, it even applies to engineering and personal quarters! Secondly, the sounds people make will be played back at random times, referred to as 'echoes' by the builders, entirely at random and without any necessary connection with what's happening currently. If you aren't very, VERY quiet, you may just end up driving everyone onboard insane, as they can all hear what your saying and doing 24/7.

Subliminal Messaging: This ship sports some of the best danged beds, pillows, and blankets in the entire Megaverse! The problem is that they use barely audible whispers (in the users own voice, no less), combined with low level psionic nudges and chemical agents to try and brainwash the user into supporting or believing certain things (Join the TGE, Buy Naruni, Kiss a Cosmo-Knight, the voices ARE real, etc.) Every day the character needs to roll vs. insanity or start to believe in what the Messaging says. If they ever miss 5 days in one week, they not only firmly believe it, but they are addicted to the ships beds. Once addicted, they will not EVER again be able to get a full nights sleep anywhere else, they will be grouchy and paranoid, -2 to initiative, natural -1 to all combat rolls, and -5% on all skills until the can once again sleep in 'their' bed.

Combination Food Delivery and Reclamation Unit: This ship has an entirely automated and independent Synthetic Person who's one and only job is keeping the crew well fed and properly nourished. The food is always served at the perfect temperature, in perfect amounts per person, force fields and holograms to keep the smells (and sights and sounds as applicable) from distracting the other eaters, the dishes never go bad if you have to leave in the middle of your meal and return (even if its minutes, hours, or DAYS later), the Synthetic Person is a courteous and contentious dining companion and offers the perfect compliment to the users comments and conversation, the food never causes the eater to gain or loose an unhealthy amount of weight, it actually has minor medicinal effects and prevents minor colds and fevers.
Wow, that sounds fantastic! So, what's the catch?
The current food is made out of the remains of the previous meals, and your 'seat' is actually a toilet, you can't eat until you provide the necessary matter. The Synthetic Person knows if you 'cheat' and sneak food from other sources while on the vessel, and will punish you as they see fit (maybe giving a vegetarian Kreeghor food, or serving up live mealworms, or making them get down on all fours and eat out of a doggie bowl).
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
taalismn
Priest

Thanks, Roscoe. Your stocking-stuffer present is much appreciated.
Merry Christmas! :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Thanks, Roscoe. Your stocking-stuffer present is much appreciated.

Not a problem tallismn, and a Happy Humbug to you too! And on that note:

Honored Holidays: The PA and comm systems were gotten from the lowest bidder, and it shows. Around the holidays, festive music, songs, and speeches are played over them constantly (at least 2d4 weeks ahead of time), and there is no way of turning them off without completely deactivating the sound systems. If you wish to be very cruel, have the music and speeches by in another language or from a wildly different race, and played at max volume.

Horrible Holidays: The ship's AI has a huge problem with the concepts of holidays in general and one in particular (GM's choice), and reacts violently at the mere mention of it, doing things like venting atmosphere from random compartments, disabling the life-support, and reversing the plumbing as a means of showing their displeasure. Conversations regarding anything related to the trigger holiday will need to be couched in double-talk and vague descriptions to avoid the AI triggering its 'Wrath Protocol" on the crew and cargo. The reason for this? The AI is actually a Transferred Intelligence, and the person had severe issues with that holiday, even before their mind was sucked into the metal behemoth on that day against their will.

taalismn
Priest

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:
taalismn wrote:Thanks, Roscoe. Your stocking-stuffer present is much appreciated.

Not a problem tallismn, and a Happy Humbug to you too! And on that note:

Honored Holidays: The PA and comm systems were gotten from the lowest bidder, and it shows. Around the holidays, festive music, songs, and speeches are played over them constantly (at least 2d4 weeks ahead of time), and there is no way of turning them off without completely deactivating the sound systems. If you wish to be very cruel, have the music and speeches by in another language or from a wildly different race, and played at max volume..

I can well relate to this; my time searching for gifts in stores is contingent on how long it takes before I feel my sanity cracking under the auditory assault.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Bah, sanity is overrated! Actually, I use custom-fit ear plugs when I go out around the holidays, specifically to avoid that auditory assault. Also keeps the Salvation Army bell-ringers from deafening me! ;) Here, have some more fresh baked flaws!

Sticky Console: One of the main control or computer terminals/keyboard has keys/buttons that either refuse to be pressed, or refuse to depress, staying in the on position. Fine maneuvers, firing, or computer work is impossible until this is fixed (requires completely replacing the affected areas), plus a base 1% chance that anytime the console is used that at least one key refuses to work properly.

Captive Crew: Once you sign on to the crew, the magical equivalent of an electronic dog collar is grafted onto the individual, allowing the AI of the ship to keep tabs on them through their senses, and if necessary, punishing them through direct neural stimulation. The ship can choose between various levels of pain, paralysis, loss of bladder and bowel control, sleep deprivation/initiation, hallucination and any combination of the above. Oh, and the ship only lets you go once you're irretrievably dead; once you join, its for life, and the ship prevents you from mentioning these facts to anybody.

Extreme Anti-Theft Features: This ship originally belonged/was designed to a race that had extraordinary healing abilities and pain tolerance, so in order to start/stop the vessel, or do major maintenance/repairs/upgrades, you need to prove that you are willing to sacrifice for the good of the ship. This is quite simple, you put a limb inside the 'Proof Machines', which act as a combination radioactive bear-trap and microwave, doing 2d4x10 damage to the poor sod with the trapped limb. Damage done in this fashion takes twice as long to heal, and tends to leave ugly scars. While painful, the 'Proof Machines' also does a scan on the afflicted persons DNA, if you aren't on the approved list, you don't get that limb back, and all entrances and exits are locked down while the life support initiates a purge of all atmosphere.

taalismn
Priest

*Dangerous FTL Preparations----Prior to the FTL activating, the ship is automatically 'prepped'; all the air in the ship is sucked out, or the majority of the ship's compartments are flooded with ionizing radiation. The original crew could stand this sort of abuse, but the current operators may not. Disabling this prevents the FTL systems from activating as they are a necessary part of the drive system's spool-up.

*Delousing Protocols---Similarly, the ship has built-in systems meant to prevent the spread of disease pathogens or vermin; the ship is swept by lethal radiation or flooded with lethal chemicals before landing or just after takeoff(or by anybody stupid enough to activate the 'BioSanitary Protocols' from the bridge).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

Extreme flatulence leaving Ion Trail skidmarks.
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Proprietary Hardware: This ship uses parts made by a specific race/company known for superior quality work. The ship normally performs at 10-15% better than ships of a similar design lacking those parts. Unfortunately, the parts also wear out or break at an alarming speed (3d6% faster or 1d4x10% less M.D.C.), and generic replacements only work at 10-15% of normal ship capacity. Better stock up on important system back-ups and parts while you can, because that company is about to go bankrupt.

Perpetually Powered System: Just what it says, there is one system on the ship that must stay on all the time, a system that isn't normally on. Could be the P.A. system, could be the force fields (requiring the ship to blast their own defenses down every time they want to enter, leave, or load cargo), the fire alarm, lights, emergency locator beacon, stealth systems, weapon, thruster, etc. This system cannot be shut off without causing a fault in the life-support systems and an overload in the power plant, the longer the system is off, the greater the damage done.

Fluctuating Forcefields: This ship, like almost every space faring vessel, has forcefields as a defensive measure, but these flare and flux at random intervals when used. Roll 1d10 every melee round they are used.
1) The shield only covers 1/4 of the ship, G.M.'s choice.
2) The shield drops entirely, unable to be brought up for another 1d4 rounds.
3) The shield drops to half strength for this round.
4) The shield functions at double strength for this round, but drops on the next.
5) Full ship coverage, no penalty.
6) Full Ship coverage, but misaligned, -10% M.D.C., +3 for the enemy to strike the ship.
7) Coverage on engines and bridge only.
8 ) Cover on everything BUT the engines.
9) Total blackout, shields prevents all forms of sensors from passing through for this melee round and the next, combat and piloting rolls can only done by eye.
10) Full ship coverage, half strength.

Lacking Institutional Knowledge: Built by a race or company with certain knowledge so all pervasive and commonly known, that they don't feel the need to explain it or write it down. Certain 1d4 areas of the ship (G.M.'s choice), have a malfunction or problem within them that resist being fixed, as the problem is so 'simple and obvious', that the owners manual or repair guides don't bother to list the procedures necessary to fix them. The knowledge could be something as simple as the location and layout of the fuse box, to what order the ignition sequence goes, to how to open the escape pods, be cruel and heartless in the systems and complexity of the solution.

Manufacturing Plant Malfunction: The ship has a nano-manufacturing plant, designed to be used to make repairs, create parts, and perform upgrades, its an incredibly well designed bit of machinery, allowing it to take in damaged or surplus material and reconfigure it into whatever is needed in only a few minutes or hours. The problem is, the plant has two glitches, the first is that it is no longer restricted solely to the machine shop area, and secondly, it has picked up the habit of scavenging materials instead of using solely what's issued to it. So the plant may wander into somebodies private quarters and reconfigure that sentimental photo album of their dead family into pipe fittings, or the sleeping cyborgs legs into hull plates, the important (and not the crews) cargo into assorted spare parts and raw materials. Treat the plant as having an in game I.Q. of 18 when it comes to getting into trouble, and also convincing itself that whatever its repurposing is allowed. Heaven help the crew if it runs into a situation that requires fresh organics to repair the ship.

Aramanthus
Monk

those are some excellent ones. Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:Proprietary Hardware: This ship uses parts made by a specific race/company known for superior quality work. The ship normally performs at 10-15% better than ships of a similar design lacking those parts. Unfortunately, the parts also wear out or break at an alarming speed (3d6% faster or 1d4x10% less M.D.C.), and generic replacements only work at 10-15% of normal ship capacity. Better stock up on important system back-ups and parts while you can, because that company is about to go bankrupt.

Perpetually Powered System: Just what it says, there is one system on the ship that must stay on all the time, a system that isn't normally on. Could be the P.A. system, could be the force fields (requiring the ship to blast their own defenses down every time they want to enter, leave, or load cargo), the fire alarm, lights, emergency locator beacon, stealth systems, weapon, thruster, etc. This system cannot be shut off without causing a fault in the life-support systems and an overload in the power plant, the longer the system is off, the greater the damage done.

Fluctuating Forcefields: This ship, like almost every space faring vessel, has forcefields as a defensive measure, but these flare and flux at random intervals when used. Roll 1d10 every melee round they are used.
1) The shield only covers 1/4 of the ship, G.M.'s choice.
2) The shield drops entirely, unable to be brought up for another 1d4 rounds.
3) The shield drops to half strength for this round.
4) The shield functions at double strength for this round, but drops on the next.
5) Full ship coverage, no penalty.
6) Full Ship coverage, but misaligned, -10% M.D.C., +3 for the enemy to strike the ship.
7) Coverage on engines and bridge only.
8 ) Cover on everything BUT the engines.
9) Total blackout, shields prevents all forms of sensors from passing through for this melee round and the next, combat and piloting rolls can only done by eye.
10) Full ship coverage, half strength.

Lacking Institutional Knowledge: Built by a race or company with certain knowledge so all pervasive and commonly known, that they don't feel the need to explain it or write it down. Certain 1d4 areas of the ship (G.M.'s choice), have a malfunction or problem within them that resist being fixed, as the problem is so 'simple and obvious', that the owners manual or repair guides don't bother to list the procedures necessary to fix them. The knowledge could be something as simple as the location and layout of the fuse box, to what order the ignition sequence goes, to how to open the escape pods, be cruel and heartless in the systems and complexity of the solution.

Manufacturing Plant Malfunction: The ship has a nano-manufacturing plant, designed to be used to make repairs, create parts, and perform upgrades, its an incredibly well designed bit of machinery, allowing it to take in damaged or surplus material and reconfigure it into whatever is needed in only a few minutes or hours. The problem is, the plant has two glitches, the first is that it is no longer restricted solely to the machine shop area, and secondly, it has picked up the habit of scavenging materials instead of using solely what's issued to it. So the plant may wander into somebodies private quarters and reconfigure that sentimental photo album of their dead family into pipe fittings, or the sleeping cyborgs legs into hull plates, the important (and not the crews) cargo into assorted spare parts and raw materials. Treat the plant as having an in game I.Q. of 18 when it comes to getting into trouble, and also convincing itself that whatever its repurposing is allowed. Heaven help the crew if it runs into a situation that requires fresh organics to repair the ship.

the lacking institutional knowledge, and Proprietary Hardware:
suddenly had me thinking of the http://www.johnringo.net/TheLibrary/Leg ... enata.aspx series manufacturing ....
EVERYTHING is custom built there are no spare parts because its all supposed to last the "life of the product" if anything breaks it would need to be custom made for that particular unit ....
taalismn
Priest

Software License---The operating system software on your starship's crucial systems is either the demo model with 'x' number of operating hours on it, or is timed to require a total reload and reboot. Sadly, the source of the software is on the other side of the galaxy from you and.or is prohibitively expensive. It;s possible to run the ship on default manual backups, but efficiency will be HALF what it should be, and programming up new software will be at -20% for all systems and require days, if not weeks, of hard code-crunching.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:Software License---

Ahhh... a fellow user of Microsith O/S software I see. :frust:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

"Your courtesy trial Life Support Operating System, FreshAire 3.01, has reached license demo run limit. If you've enjoyed breathing and temperature moderation, please contact Naruni Intelligent Solutions to arrange for a download of the full FreshAire 3.01 program package."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

*Parasitic Luck---The ship has a reputation and predilection for being 'lucky'; it dodges enemy fire, has extra power to vital systems when needed in an emergency, is particularly resistant to damage, and is otherwise seemingly blessed with inexplicable good fortune on a constant basis. The problem is, a VERY thorough search of the ship will reveal a secret compartment in which, obviously restrained by arcane or super-technological means, is a demigod(dess), elder dragon, high-level demon, or other powerful being, whose life force and powers are being drawn upon to power the ship and its 'luck'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

I've had another ambush of ideas, hope you guys enjoy them!

Faulty Shielding: The Force/Phase-fields actually work just fine, its the shields on the ships reactor core that are problematic. Every time the vessel takes a critical hit, makes a critical failure on piloting or weapons roll, or dis/engages the FTL/Hyperdrive, there is a 50% chance of the reactor shields failing to perform their function, and shunting a very UN-healthy dose of radiation into the air and water systems. Even worse, if the reactor/engines section takes a critical hit, there is a 15% chance of radioactive dust being vented into the air/water recyclers.

Distributed Bridge: The ship's designers, in an insane attempt to prevent a decapitation strike, installed the various controls to the important functions that SHOULD go on the bridge across the entire ship. This fulfills its function very well, but they forgot to install a P.A. or intercom system, and the materials the ship is made out of render the use of radios/walkie-talkies/cellphones/etc. unusable over 100 feet away. Hope you can either afford an expensive retrofit, have a bunch of signal boosters, or plenty of fit crew members to literally RUN the captains orders to the various 'bridge crew' members.

Flying Dutchman: This one is more for NPC's and a possible story hook. Once, there was a captain of a pirate fleet, feared throughout known space, who suffered a critical engine failure during a fierce battle. While he eventually managed to slay his foes, he was left adrift in space, far from the space lanes. Just when he though that Death would finally claim him, he was picked up by a group of peaceful monks (or priests/druids/whatever is convenient for the G.M.) who tended his wounds, fed him, and clothed him. He repaid them by having his crew slaughter them to the last, which earned the pirates the ire of the rescuers patron deity. They are cursed to forever travel the universe and engage in humanitarian and rescue efforts wherever they can.

The 'flaw' in this comes in with how the former pirates interpret their enforced penance. They will indeed pick people up and bring them into the ship, but only to sell them to slavers, extort ransom from them, slap them with bills for saving their lives, threaten to call the authorities if the pirates aren't cut in on the action, etc.. Since they can't be killed, the ship reforms itself after 1d4 days after being destroyed/incapacitated, and the crew is automatically teleported back to the vessel after going 15 miles or 24 hours away from the ship, they are an even bigger threat/nuisance than before.

Gulliver's Conveyance: Once this vessel leaves atmosphere (about 1d4 minutes), it undergoes a startling transformation, it emits an energy field that reduces all living beings and whatever they are carrying/wearing/implanted with to 1/12 their normal size and weight. The ship itself, however, stays normal size. Oh, and it just so happens to have an robotic rodent removal service. Better hope you can get some True Atlanteans or Prometheans to crew this sucker, or your going to be in big trouble in little time.

One Way Digestion: The ship is cursed, the inhabitants are unable to remove bodily waste while on the ship, it just keeps building up. These poor people end up gaining unhealthy amounts of weight at an alarming rate, only to lose it all once they hit port (incidentally, there tends to be bottlenecks and minor rioting to determine who get to 'go' first). The weight is condensed into the normal organs and bladders, but the magic field prevents any physical damage from occurring (no strained muscles, torn/perforated organs, sepsis, toxic shock, etc.), only the building horror and the immanent psychological NEED to relieve yourself that will go unfulfilled. Especially cruel G.M.s may wish to make this an intermittent problem, and pull it out right when the drives break down...

taalismn
Priest

Love the distributed bridge. It's sorta like my gripe with sci-fi shows(especially Star Wars and Robotech) "Why do you have the Bridge up in the most vulnerable place with big windows the opposition can shoot(or ram) through?!"
The Star Trek manga series actually had fun with this when a group of giant space-flying mecha(piloted by child soldiers for extra trope points) stand on the Enterprise's primary hull and RAM A SWORD through the bridge roof, nearly bisecting Sulu.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

taalismn wrote:*Parasitic Luck---The ship has a reputation and predilection for being 'lucky'; it dodges enemy fire, has extra power to vital systems when needed in an emergency, is particularly resistant to damage, and is otherwise seemingly blessed with inexplicable good fortune on a constant basis. The problem is, a VERY thorough search of the ship will reveal a secret compartment in which, obviously restrained by arcane or super-technological means, is a demigod(dess), elder dragon, high-level demon, or other powerful being, whose life force and powers are being drawn upon to power the ship and its 'luck'.

From the title I'd have thought it meant that the ship drained the luck of those who crewed it, so that while the ship was lucky those who rode on it would find themselves suffering from a string of bad luck, like missing easy shots or tripping over cracks and the like.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
taalismn
Priest

Nightmask wrote:[
From the title I'd have thought it meant that the ship drained the luck of those who crewed it, so that while the ship was lucky those who rode on it would find themselves suffering from a string of bad luck, like missing easy shots or tripping over cracks and the like.

That would be Luck Drain: the ship is blessed with good fortune, but those who step off the ship suffer chance-related penalties, like a -1 to all combat rolls, and -5% to all skill rolls, for 1 day for every 3d6 days spent aboard the ship.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

*Fizzy Atmosphere--The ship's life support system fills the vessel with a hyperoxygenated fluid that fairly fizzes and feels tingly all over, like breathing extra dry ginger ale. Crew will be belching fro 1d4 hours after 'surfacing' from the ship; sudden changes in lesser pressure are not advised, owing to a possibility of (thankfully non-fatal, but still excruiatingly painful) cases the 'bends'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Nightfactory wrote:[
60-79% - Huge Package of Top Ramen

"Got the ship cheap from an ad agency."
"Gee, I wonder what they were promoting..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

taalismn wrote:*Fizzy Atmosphere--The ship's life support system fills the vessel with a hyperoxygenated fluid that fairly fizzes and feels tingly all over, like breathing extra dry ginger ale. Crew will be belching fro 1d4 hours after 'surfacing' from the ship; sudden changes in lesser pressure are not advised, owing to a possibility of (thankfully non-fatal, but still excruiatingly painful) cases the 'bends'.

reminds me of the interior of the Streaker from the 2nd Uplift novel by David Brin.. the ship was crewed by mostly dolphins, so aside from part of the rotating "dry deck" section for the handful of humans aboard, it was filled with "oxywater", a saline solution supersaturated with oxygen and constantly generating tiny bubbles as a result.
the human crew wore gill masks, but the dolphins had implanted bionic gill-lungs.

IIRC as well, there was a star trek novel called "the children of hamlin" where an alien race filled their ships with oxygenated fluid.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:[

reminds me of the interior of the Streaker from the 2nd Uplift novel by David Brin.. the ship was crewed by mostly dolphins, so aside from part of the rotating "dry deck" section for the handful of humans aboard, it was filled with "oxywater", a saline solution supersaturated with oxygen and constantly generating tiny bubbles as a result.
the human crew wore gill masks, but the dolphins had implanted bionic gill-lungs..

David Brin is my favorite sci-fi author, if for no other reason than he's not 'down' on us as humans. More than a few of his stories end in a Silverbergian 'feelgood' moment...a turn of phrase that makes you, for a moment, go 'wowwwwww...' before your cynicism clamps down on you. ;)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Nightfactory wrote:RRT Starship - Looks beautiful on showroom floor, but when it arrives in box, new owners find it must be assembled from 19,421 different pieces. :wink:

more properly known as "made by IKEA"

(can we please leave the RTT ragging to the RTT forum? especially for something that isn't technically true anymore?)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Slave Breaker---The ship has a secret room/section that was obviously used for purposes of torture and the psychological destruction and indoctrination of slaves. The PCs will not discover this room until a) a customs check by outside authorities discovers the compartment(and all its damning evidence) or the ship gets attacked by anti-slavery forces that don't realize the ship has changed hands. There's also the chance that the chamber may attract its share of malign entities, drawn by the aura of suffering in the room and on its 'tools'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

I remember reading a long time ago a sci-fi novel(it might have been called 'Heaven's River') about an abandoned alien world where a WW2 Japanese pilot is found, having been rescued by aliens. Two of the characters in the story were a pair of spacers who had bought a large alien vessel, cheap, only the vessel was alien, ancient, and while perfectly functional, largely unexplored. The couple passed time while in flight unsealing doors and exploring the inner spaces, archeological dig-style,
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Stuck in gear.
The ship at the most inopportune times. Sticks in gear. I.e. either top traveling speed (we supposed to go left there) or at one tenth of normal traveling speed (stuck in first)
Searching the ships systems finds nothing wrong. "Idk sir, it appears the shifting linkafe just stuck."
taalismn
Priest

say652 wrote:Stuck in gear.
The ship at the most inopportune times. Sticks in gear. I.e. either top traveling speed (we supposed to go left there) or at one tenth of normal traveling speed (stuck in first)
Searching the ships systems finds nothing wrong. "Idk sir, it appears the shifting linkafe just stuck."

Could be particularly hazardous is it can't ramp up to 'atmospheric/gravitic ascent acceleration'. You wind up as a glorified rocketplane on an in-atmo ballistic course. .
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I envisioned a line of honking spaceships.
"Dang sunday drivers!!"
"Get off the spacelane!!!"
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Edited
Last edited by say652 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Drunkin Auto Pilot. -30% all piloting skill rolls. +3 attacks and initiative. Yup the ships on a bender and lookin to scrap. Then when a human pilot takes the controls the ship starts in slurry weepy voice telling how much. "I Love you man"
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

tour guide autopilot. regardless of the route plotted, will add 2D6+4 additional stops and will take the most 'scenic' route to each. at each stop will use the ships intercomm to give a lengthy speech about each spot, including as appropriate; what you can see out of the viewports, 'interesting facts' and trivia, historical events at the location, anecdotes about previous trips. will remain at each spot for 1D3 hours before moving on.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are some awesome flaws! Please keep them coming!!!

HH....FIE
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The drivers side window in the cockpit, rolls down.
Not to devastating in an atmosphere traveling at low speeds but could suck in space.
Aramanthus
Monk

Bump: I don't want this to slip to far down!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

*Boot Camp AI---The Ship's computer was programmed by a species of health extremists who feared that long periods of space travel, with easy access to zero-gee, would cause passengers and crew to grow soft, their bodies to atrophy, and immune systems to degenerate. Thus the ship's AI is programmed to institute a rigorous schedule of regular exercise and physical challenges, meant to toughen up the fleshbags. This can include 'lights out' enforced sleep cycles, early up duty awakenings, and the AI will refuse to accept orders unless the assigned person 'drops and gives me fifty!'. If not obeyed, the AI may up the ante, altering the ship's gravity to increase strain, and dock individual crewmembers of access to food(may lock the mess cabinets, or produce only basic, bland, tasty-as-a-brick foodstuffs through the processors/replicators), effectively putting them on diets. The automated health-Nazi will also keep a running and LOUD account of the physical status and shortcomings of individual crewmembers(#"Ensign Schitz is five kilos overweight and on approach to Tub-o-Lard Land! Adjust the thrusters to compensate for the extra mass!!!!"#)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”