Can Cyber-Knights quit or retire?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Giant2005
Knight

Can Cyber-Knights quit or retire?

Unread post by Giant2005 »

...Or would quitting render them considered a Fallen Knight to be hunted down?
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Re: Can Cyber-Knights quit or retire?

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Giant2005 wrote:...Or would quitting render them considered a Fallen Knight to be hunted down?

Nope, and only the fallen knights that get noticed get hunted.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i would expect that they can retire honourably.

don't they have a monastery or something? you can probably retire there and train younger prospective cyber-knights.

that said, it just so happens that unflinchingly facing down the worst monsters and villains the world has to offer is not likely to be a career that you survive long enough to retire from in most cases :P

as to quitting, i don't think that would make them a fallen knight to be hunted down. obviously, it wouldn't earn them any favours with the organization as a whole, but quite frankly we're dealing with an organization that is spread across north america and likely has fewer than 10,000 members. practically speaking, cyber-knights must go missing on a regular basis, and the number of MIA knights is probably greater than the number of knights that are known to be dead. north america is a very large place, and i expect getting lost in it is pretty easy, so long as you don't draw attention to yourself.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Being a Fallen knight doesn't necessarily mean you'll get hunted down. You can 'fall' simply by opting to be a "pay me to protect you" mercenary who actually doesn't do any harm, just isn't fulfilling their knightly obligations. One isn't necessarily a despoiler/robber or whatever eh?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Giant2005 wrote:...Or would quitting render them considered a Fallen Knight to be hunted down?

I don't think it would render them a fallen Knight automatically, they might qualify as Hermetic Knights (SOT#4 pg66-7). The HK text leaves open the possibility that a knight can fully/semi-retire.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Hermetic Knights are knights who have lost their drive/desire to continue the fight. Sounds like rifts era retirement to me...

Fallen Knights are those who don't so much retire as they stop being 'good' and start being 'bad'.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Yeah they can retire or quit if they like. It's not like the Pope (Or what the Pope is supposed to be. We had one of those quit recently)

But yeah they can settle down if they so choose. If they get old or burned out and can't carry on the high ideals and very high and dangerous needs of the calling/profession.

I imagine they're sort of like Jedi though. Even those that settle down and or get old, get drawn back into stuff more frequently than others, because the duty that they carry in their hearts won't just let bad things happen around them if they can stop it.

Some might go back to the base and teach but I imagine some just settle down with a nice husband and or wife in a small (Or large) Community and do their thing.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

This reminds me of an NPC I once had in mind: He was a Cyber-Knight who had grown a bit too old to go adventuring so he settled in a small town that he had frequented. Over time, the locals began bringing their disagreements to him to resolve and after a few years he was appointed/elected to be the local judge and magistrate. So while he was no longer roaming the hillsides slaying monsters, he was still serving the cause by guiding the town to a better future. He could be described as a Hermetic Knight, but his new role was having a much greater impact than he ever had as an adventurer.

I can imagine tons of opportunities for Cyber-Knights to do something similar.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Yep. That too.

The Preview for NG2 has a famous Cyberknight fighting in the Arena there for years....

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Yep. That too.

The Preview for NG2 has a famous Cyberknight fighting in the Arena there for years....

Hmm... I'll have to read the section on the roboarena now... that said... that is totally cheating! Damn Cyber-Knights and their anti-tech powers...
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I get the impression he was fighting Power armors, cyborgs and big ol robot vehicles, on foot with his Psisword and shield. So it wasn't 100% one sided.

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd lean towards "Yes, but honorably", like Mack's "No longer roaming the wastes, but still a principled person."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

No in the cyber knight book they talk about hermetic knights basically knights who have seen and done a bit to much and retire from the role. There is no stigma involved and often they are still consulted for their knowledge and experience even if they are no longer willing/able to keep fighting.
Bladesplint
D-Bee

Unread post by Bladesplint »

I own one.

Raised him from Level 1, all the way through Level 9.
A Seleniak, he made a most enjoyable character, able to leap and do Parkour(sp) type acrobatics.

He retired from active adventures and is strictly an NPC who mentors other PC's in the ways of the Cyberknight Code. He has been instrumental in the growth and continuation of several follower PC's, who used his training to go on to become truly epic characters in their own rights. One of his students lead a charge against one of the African based Four Horsemen; another became a cunning and vicious enemy of the dreaded Lord of the Deep and grew adept at hunting down its' cults both on land and in the seas.

In our games, I have been known to occasionally cameo this retired CK in the most unexpected places: in the jungle of South America he was encountered simply wandering around gathering herbs. In another campaign he was found spelunking in a cave and offered the adventurers some advice on hunting vampires.

While this doesn't actually sound much like 'retirement,' I no longer actively play this character but instead let the party cross paths with him on rare occasions. It brightens the players' day as they recall this old alien CK's exploits and willingness to uphold what is right and just.

He gains no further xp, does not advance in level, nor gain additional powers, etc. but he does still stay involved in the world of Rifts. I simply choose when to break him out again, but never to the intensity of active adventuring with the party.

I certainly would not call this state a 'fallen' state; and the only ones foolish enough to try to hunt him down would be the minions (with extremely poor judgement) of some ancient ickky thing which this CK long ago destroyed.

On an unrelated topic:
The Seleniak race has a prehensile tail; this character was able to manifest three Psi-Swords (one from each hand, and a third from the tip of his tail, like a spade) but seldom ever needed to. It simply did not make up for the versatility of the tail as he utilized it to leap around and swing from overhead girders, etc.

If you have been gaming long enough to have acquired one of these retiree Cyberknights, then I say Well Done! Now let the rest of your gamers enjoy him as you seldom pop him into their adventures where they least expect it.

Game on.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I don't see why not. Lets pretend you are caught in a terrible explosion and nearly killed, you are physically and psychologically traumatized. Do you really think a group of "typically good aligned" characters are going to tell you to man up and shove you back in the saddle?

Likewise, people get old and I imagine old/experienced Knights in retirement are infinitely more useful to the order than roaming the field until they inevitably meet their end.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Akashic Soldier wrote:

I don't see why not. Lets pretend you are caught in a terrible explosion and nearly killed, you are physically and psychologically traumatized. Do you really think a group of "typically good aligned" characters are going to tell you to man up and shove you back in the saddle?

Likewise, people get old and I imagine old/experienced Knights in retirement are infinitely more useful to the order than roaming the field until they inevitably meet their end.

I see no reason for being fallen if they quit. the armor just falls off and powers fade. Other reasons might be the Cyber-knight knocked up a girl and decided to stay with her. Family vs. heroism does happen.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Rimmerdal wrote:[

I see no reason for being fallen if they quit. the armor just falls off and powers fade. Other reasons might be the Cyber-knight knocked up a girl and decided to stay with her. Family vs. heroism does happen.

Family can BE heroism.
On Rifts Earth just making a run to the store for diapers can require serious heroism...
"Honey, you just HAD to stop and help out with every crisis along the way, didn't you? Next time, can't you let the Coalition incursion and the demonic invasions work THEMSELVES out? And definitely let the dragonsaurus up the tree find its own way down!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Bladesplint wrote:A Seleniak, he made a most enjoyable character, able to leap and do Parkour(sp) type acrobatics.
Ah, Seleniaks, the only species out there who deserve to be able to spend actions to non-auto dodge when out of attacks.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®”