Behemoth Explorer errata in Northern Gun One

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Behemoth Explorer errata in Northern Gun One

Unread post by taalismn »

Post-New-Book-Afterglow:

Okay, somebody tell me the weight figures for the Behemoth Explorer and the Behemoth Super-Explorer are typos?
25 tons and 35 tons respectively does NOT seem realistic...Somebody maybe dropped a zero at the end?
Because the Bulldog Explorer is a lot smaller than the BE, and it weighs in at 24 tons.
Also, given that in Dinosaur Swamp, doesn't Lazlo commission a new Behemoth Explorer model from Titanworks? Yet NG1 claims that the BE is a NG product. Do they make that claim because they're the originators of the design, or because they've been producing copies the longest? In either case, having another manufacturer horning in on a design they claim as their own wouldn't sit well with them at all.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
flatline
Knight

Re: Behemoth Explorer errata in Northern Gun One

Unread post by flatline »

Wasn't the BE a pre-rifts design? Seems like anyone could make it at this point.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
taalismn
Priest

flatline wrote:Wasn't the BE a pre-rifts design? Seems like anyone could make it at this point.

--flatline

I figured as much, too. Northern Gun's just been making copies longer than anybody else.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

taalismn wrote:
flatline wrote:Wasn't the BE a pre-rifts design? Seems like anyone could make it at this point.

--flatline

I figured as much, too. Northern Gun's just been making copies longer than anybody else.

Its not like NG is to shy of making knock offs of good designs or visa versa for the other companies. I think NG is probably the primary producer of them but others make copies.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

kaid wrote:
taalismn wrote:

--flatline

Its not like NG is to shy of making knock offs of good designs or visa versa for the other companies. I think NG is probably the primary producer of them but others make copies.

Not like there's any way to enforce patent law in Rifts.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
taalismn
Priest

Nekira Sudacne wrote:[

Ninjas, dragon mercenaries, fully conversion cyborg shocktrooper legal aides, heavy artillery, summoned demons...there are scads of ways of enforcing it...just damn few that are PEACEFUL. :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

maybe NG are the ones that produce a specific variant of behemoth. the NG model is actually using lighter-than-air materials as filler in the legs or something to cut down on weight ^^
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Shark_Force wrote:maybe NG are the ones that produce a specific variant of behemoth. the NG model is actually using lighter-than-air materials as filler in the legs or something to cut down on weight ^^

MDC Pipe cleaners and MDC construction paper...its the newest craze.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
taalismn
Priest

Rimmerdal wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:maybe NG are the ones that produce a specific variant of behemoth. the NG model is actually using lighter-than-air materials as filler in the legs or something to cut down on weight ^^

MDC Pipe cleaners and MDC construction paper...its the newest craze.

Chipwell is VINDICATED!!!!!

Oh, and don't forget the MDC balloons. This allows you to outsource some of your construction contracts to out-of-work party-favor balloon-animal folders.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
kaid wrote:
taalismn wrote:

--flatline

LOL NG does. It's called 'Loss Prevention' and they're well armed, well paid and well motivated.

That entire "CS GOING **** ON THE NERAUNI" was NG sicking an entire nation on their competition. lol

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
popscythe
Adventurer
Comment: Mecha-sized flamethrowers, dudes! *woooooosh* :heart:

Unread post by popscythe »

I coulda swore while I was reading that I spotted a typo on one of the flamethrowers on one of the bots where it said "payload effectively unlimited" instead of "approx 48 blasts" like it should have. Couldn't find it again with a cursory search, but I'll look into it.
Zarathustra was extremely accurate. He was talking about you, man.
Whoops! Looks like I was wrong about where Mos Eisley's located.
Victorious on Final Jeopardy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilrszSXGiI
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

--flatline

Yes, it is described as such in the original Rifts Main Book.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
kaid wrote:
taalismn wrote:

--flatline

Hehe yup although funny thing is NG is really cautious about its red hawk design and one of its jet bike designs to the point if the CS begins making grumpy noises they will discontinue the lines. That is patent protection post apocalypse style have a big enough nation army where if somebody steals to much of your stuff you flatten them. After what CS did to new kenora and tolkeen NG is very concious of the CS concept of patent protection.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

taalismn wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:[

Ninjas, dragon mercenaries, fully conversion cyborg shocktrooper legal aides, heavy artillery, summoned demons...there are scads of ways of enforcing it...just damn few that are PEACEFUL. :P

Forgot to mention there is an actual NG occ the LPO officer who basically has this job. Protecting their intellectual property and to police abuses of the NG product line. They are basically james bond + special forces + agent smith rolled into one.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
kaid wrote:
taalismn wrote:

--flatline

LOL NG does. It's called 'Loss Prevention' and they're well armed, well paid and well motivated.

That entire "CS GOING **** ON THE NERAUNI" was NG sicking an entire nation on their competition. lol

Yea, and check out naruni wave 2 to see how that worked out for them. Sure, you can blow up individual competetitors, but that's really not the same thing.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

popscythe wrote:I coulda swore while I was reading that I spotted a typo on one of the flamethrowers on one of the bots where it said "payload effectively unlimited" instead of "approx 48 blasts" like it should have. Couldn't find it again with a cursory search, but I'll look into it.

Would not surprise me. that C-27 Plasma cannon in RUE still has 488km range..so such errors do get over looked.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Rimmerdal wrote:
popscythe wrote:I coulda swore while I was reading that I spotted a typo on one of the flamethrowers on one of the bots where it said "payload effectively unlimited" instead of "approx 48 blasts" like it should have. Couldn't find it again with a cursory search, but I'll look into it.

Would not surprise me. that C-27 Plasma cannon in RUE still has 488km range..so such errors do get over looked.

I will have to check for the flame thrower ammo thing when I get my copy. I know in the prototype all the vehicle mounted flame throwers had specific ammo amounts listed.
popscythe
Adventurer

kaid wrote:I will have to check for the flame thrower ammo thing when I get my copy. I know in the prototype all the vehicle mounted flame throwers had specific ammo amounts listed.

I think I was mistaken. At the time I thought I noticed it, I thought "that has to be a typo, payload essentially unlimited, all the other flamethrowers have an approximate number of blasts" so I went to look at the other flamethrowers in the book to confirm, wrote it off as a typo and forgot which one it was. Now I can't find it again! So either I was wrong or its a typo, but I'm not too worried about it.

There's a robot in the book with an MD flamethrower with 600 foot range. That's all I need to know.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Yea, and check out naruni wave 2 to see how that worked out for them. Sure, you can blow up individual competitors, but that's really not the same thing.

It worked out well for them on Earth. You have to dig it out in bits and pieces but it's referenced in both NG1 and BM. It 'worked'. The Naruni are pretty much kicked in the teeth on Rifts earth and it's a death sentence to get caught with their gear in NA by the CS. Not "lets take your gun and maybe kick your butt" like Wilks, but a "They've got NE stuff. VAPE UM! Type reaction.

NG put the CS on them and 'helped' them along. Yeah the Naruni Wave 2 book is a toy box, but they aren't exactly prominent, nor are they expanding hugely due to the 'other' weapons manufacturers blocking them out and the bounty on them. They've got the big show room in merc town but other than that, it worked out really well for NG and the CS. And NG got the CS to do the heavy lifting on it.

NW2 was a 'get paid book'. The Naruni aren't hurting in the galaxy, but on Rifts they're not one of the top. Infact they're more outlaw than the black market.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

kaid wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
kaid wrote:
taalismn wrote:

--flatline

Hehe yup although funny thing is NG is really cautious about its red hawk design and one of its jet bike designs to the point if the CS begins making grumpy noises they will discontinue the lines. That is patent protection post apocalypse style have a big enough nation army where if somebody steals to much of your stuff you flatten them. After what CS did to new kenora and tolkeen NG is very concious of the CS concept of patent protection.

What happened to New Kenora? I know it was the home of Wellington Industries and has been under the threat of Xits for a long time, but did the CS stomp NK to the ground? What book and when? :?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Yea, and check out naruni wave 2 to see how that worked out for them. Sure, you can blow up individual competitors, but that's really not the same thing.

It worked out well for them on Earth. You have to dig it out in bits and pieces but it's referenced in both NG1 and BM. It 'worked'. The Naruni are pretty much kicked in the teeth on Rifts earth and it's a death sentence to get caught with their gear in NA by the CS. Not "lets take your gun and maybe kick your butt" like Wilks, but a "They've got NE stuff. VAPE UM! Type reaction.

NG put the CS on them and 'helped' them along. Yeah the Naruni Wave 2 book is a toy box, but they aren't exactly prominent, nor are they expanding hugely due to the 'other' weapons manufacturers blocking them out and the bounty on them. They've got the big show room in merc town but other than that, it worked out really well for NG and the CS. And NG got the CS to do the heavy lifting on it.

NW2 was a 'get paid book'. The Naruni aren't hurting in the galaxy, but on Rifts they're not one of the top. Infact they're more outlaw than the black market.

It "worked" in the sense that it destroyed a very minor investment on narunis part, but lets be realistic here: naruni conquers entire planets, the CS and NG combined wouldn't be a speed bump for them if they go all out on striking back. the fact that it worked is only true insofar that they ultimately caused so little damage naruni hasn't bothered to take the kids gloves off yet.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

It "worked" in the sense that it destroyed a very minor investment on narunis part, but lets be realistic here: naruni conquers entire planets, the CS and NG combined wouldn't be a speed bump for them if they go all out on striking back. the fact that it worked is only true insofar that they ultimately caused so little damage naruni hasn't bothered to take the kids gloves off yet.

Ehh.. It worked from the Humans point of view. Yes. the Naruni are big dawgs in other parts of the universe. Rifts earth unique characteristics though, have it signed as a "neutral zone" by the big Big BIG powers in the universe though. A sort of (pardon the pun) Gentelman's agreement, that noone will take it over or try and claim it, or ALLLL The other big dogs out there would squish them like grapes. They see Earth as the Golden goose, that produces for all. If you mess with it, and inadvertantly kill the goose, those other powers kill you. Which is why the Sploog and such, yes, like the Naruni haven't just descended and claimed it.

Which is.... an aspect one wonders if Kevin remembers with the upcoming Megaverse in flames book. All the "Megaversal Super powers" Keep earth as this 'hands off area' but the Demons and Devils are going to hit it hard.

As for the Naurni it's actually worse than that. They know they got kicked off Earth and due to those Megaversal Super powers having declared it a no touchie place, they've ordered their people off the planet. If memory serves the Naurni that are there, are there in 'secret' from their own people and against orders.

Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

taalismn wrote:Post-New-Book-Afterglow:

Okay, somebody tell me the weight figures for the Behemoth Explorer and the Behemoth Super-Explorer are typos?
25 tons and 35 tons respectively does NOT seem realistic...Somebody maybe dropped a zero at the end?
Because the Bulldog Explorer is a lot smaller than the BE, and it weighs in at 24 tons.
Also, given that in Dinosaur Swamp, doesn't Lazlo commission a new Behemoth Explorer model from Titanworks? Yet NG1 claims that the BE is a NG product. Do they make that claim because they're the originators of the design, or because they've been producing copies the longest? In either case, having another manufacturer horning in on a design they claim as their own wouldn't sit well with them at all.

um... um... OK, got it, eh hem...

Being that the EX series robots are "exploration" vehicles they are built with a plastisteel fiber compound alloy composition that is lighter than combat classification assault robots, vehicles and power armor metals and alloys which are often far more dense and durable and use different composition alloys for assembly. That's why the Behemoth Super-X states that it lacks armor. The EX series also has a ton of empty space in its bays and observation decks ...

At least that's what I would "try" to say.
Last edited by Premier on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

On a more general errata line of concern...

The NG-303 got a damage reduction... in Merc Ops it did 5D6 on a ten round burst. In NG-1 it now does 4D6 for a ten round burst.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
taalismn
Priest

popscythe wrote:[

There's a robot in the book with an MD flamethrower with 600 foot range. That's all I need to know.

Because life is more exciting with flamethrowers. :demon:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
popscythe
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Because life is more exciting with flamethrowers. :demon:

You got that right my friend! Woosh!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

What happened to New Kenora? I know it was the home of Wellington Industries and has been under the threat of Xits for a long time, but did the CS stomp NK to the ground? What book and when? :?

The CS stomped them they told them to knock it off with the sea kings and the sky castles and eventually got to the point where they just saw them as to big of a threat for their tiny size so they just went in and bum rushed new kenora and took it over. Some of the survivors from new kenora fled down to mexico with some of the blueprints and plans and a big Chip on their shoulder so we may not have seen the last of them.

I believe it talked about this in the CS navy book or one of the CS war books or possibly in the aftermath book.

Also its I believe iron heart armaments not wellington I am pretty sure WI is based in the manistque imperium.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

In regards to original post / poster; I'd figure either double the tonnage OR, as put-forth, just multiply the tonnage by 10.
Again it's the whole "didn't do the math / engineering" thing that ALL RPG's and / or sci-writers seem to have problems with. *shrug*
It's a quick enough fix...
OR if you want to go the handwavium route, the reason the Behemoths are so light for their size & function? Carbon-nano-tube and plas-steel construction. :D :lol: :P
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Rimmerdal wrote:C-27 Plasma cannon in RUE still has 488km range..so such errors do get over looked.
Not an error. Don't underestimate CS tech.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:C-27 Plasma cannon in RUE still has 488km range..so such errors do get over looked.

Then why is it the only weapon the CS has with that kind of range other than missiles?

flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Tor wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen you post a joke before :)

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
taalismn
Priest

Tor wrote:

Indeed. They can overprice a toilet seat as well as the next large government military-industrial complex.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Tor wrote:
Then why is it the only weapon the CS has with that kind of range other than missiles?
It isn't. The C-29 on CWCpg93-94 has a range of 423km. Plasma rocks.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Deadboy Dakka
Wanderer
Comment: I'll smite with my smiting stick!!!

Unread post by Deadboy Dakka »

Tor wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Tor wrote:

And I am now gonna switch my game to Metric...
Though that has GOT to be a typo
Uhh... Dragging of flesh and bone followed by a moan? Let's go examine the creepy sound.
With an automatic shotgun of course.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Tor wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Tor wrote:

You do realize that makes it so you can hit a target in the southwestern corner of Connecticut from the White House?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

The Beast wrote:You do realize that makes it so you can hit a target in the southwestern corner of Connecticut from the White House?

also some objects in low earth orbit ^^
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Guys, he's joking.

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Tor wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Tor wrote:

My Copy of RUE has the CR-1 with a range of 1.6m...
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

In this thread I have learned that converting to the metric system is a skill far beyond whoever writes weapon stats.
Blastaar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Home of the Xiticix...
Hudsons Wheigh is located near my actual home of Gillam and not Gitlam

Unread post by Blastaar »

8 km = 5 miles :)
Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

argos wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
kaid wrote:
taalismn wrote:

--flatline

Tell that to Naruni Enterprises

Hehe yup naruni/ng/cs concept of patent protection involves high energy weapons and large combat mechs.

Return to “Rifts®”