ROBOTECH LOVE LIVE ALIVE UPDATE: COMPLETED!

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

http://www.contentmediacorp.com/index.p ... /1499.html
From Content Media Corp
75min FILM/50min OVA

:: Robotech: Love Live Alive

The Robotech saga continues in this exciting adventure and retrospective, blending new action-packed animation with the nostalgia of the original series that sparked the global anime phenomenon.

Lieutenant “Lancer” Belmont, a veteran of Robotech’s New Generation, recounts his journey from before his first encounter with Scott Bernard to the expedition to liberate the Earth from the mysterious Invid race.

The perfect companion to the hit animated film Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, this 75-minute film is accompanied by pre-production art and trailers, plus the original 50-minute Japanese version.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Chris0013
Hero

Re: ROBOTECH LOVE LIVE ALIVE UPDATE: COMPLETED!

Unread post by Chris0013 »

Sort of want.....
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

This had better not be a 'compilation' movie like some episodes of 'The Outer LImits' or 'Roughnecks', with maybe five or six minutes of new material, and the rest cuts and flashbacks. I'd be majorly annoyed if that was the case.

Ideally, I want this movie to give FRESH material on what happened to Earth under the occupation, and end with some tie-in to the Shadow Chronicles (beyond a stock footage end shot of the Ark Angel descending through the atmosphere).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

well, the movie is gonna be part the Japanese version of LLA.. with 25 additional minutes it looks like... I've never seen mospeda: LLA... so honestly IDK...
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Well, it does have to try to fire up a new fanbase to get people interested in future SC projects...Like watching ST: TNG witjout really watching the OS, or the new version Space Battleship Yamato, so I'll give them that. :)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

taalismn wrote:This had better not be a 'compilation' movie like some episodes of 'The Outer LImits' or 'Roughnecks', with maybe five or six minutes of new material, and the rest cuts and flashbacks. I'd be majorly annoyed if that was the case.

In practical terms, it's a repeat of the same methodology behind the failure that was Robotech: the Untold Story. Two different animation sources of wildly different levels of quality, in this case the original Genesis Climber MOSPEADA wrap up OVA MOSPEADA: Love Live Alive and more of the crude CG animation from Shadow Chronicles, spliced together in the hopes that it'll sell because it has the word "Robotech" in the title now. Basically, imagine footage from the New Gen spliced together with footage from RTSC animated in the style of Battlecry and you won't be far off.

taalismn wrote:Well, it does have to try to fire up a new fanbase to get people interested in future SC projects...Like watching ST: TNG witjout really watching the OS, or the new version Space Battleship Yamato, so I'll give them that. :)

But nobody outside of the existing Robotech fanbase buys Robotech DVDs... Harmony Gold was trying to do just that with RTSC, and it didn't work. From what I've seen, mecha fans (and MOSPEADA fans in general) are largely not pleased by the idea of Harmony Gold butchering MOSPEADA: Love Live Alive the way they did Megazone 23, and even many of the Robotech faithful are upset that they slapped this together on the cheap to distract fans from the lack of progress on RTSC Part II and the proposed live-action movie.

I'm not optimistic about this one, because splicing together footage on two different types of film stock at two radically different levels of animation quality was a bad idea in 1985-6 and looked like arse even when they were using two shows which were made within a year of each other. How much worse is it going to look when it's mid-80's animation juxtaposed against late 90's quality CG and 2000s quality animation?
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Before we get to bashing to much on Harmony Gold, Tommy Yune and LLA in this topic... lets wait to see the movie before it gets torn to shreds critically... I'm sure the Cell-shaded CGI looks 100x better than the TSC CGI.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Before we get to bashing to much on Harmony Gold, Tommy Yune and LLA in this topic... lets wait to see the movie before it gets torn to shreds critically... I'm sure the Cell-shaded CGI looks 100x better than the TSC CGI.

Eh, have you had a chance to see the trailer in its non-glory? I have. I found the cel-shading to be a mild improvement on their low-quality conventional CG, but it doesn't make it look any less out-of-place against the rest of the animation. It makes the whole affair look like a cutscene from Battlecry, which already looked rather dated when it came out in the early '00s.:?

One doesn't necessarily need to see the finished product to know a bad idea when they see it mentioned, especially when that's a bad idea they've tried and failed with before.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Shimasaki
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Shimasaki »

Any one know what the release date is?
Thursday Night RPG Social @ DiceHouse Games, Fullerton CA.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Shimasaki wrote:Any one know what the release date is?

Last we heard, some non-specific date in 2013... though that's assuming they've finalized the film's licensing and distribution agreement. It doesn't say there if CMC is just authoring the discs, or if they're serving as distributor too. All told, I'd guess we'll see a repeat of the distributor-related delays RTSC experienced (if that hasn't already happened, HG has been quiet on the LLA front), so sometime late 2013 or early 2014 sounds likely.

Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Before we get to bashing to much on Harmony Gold, Tommy Yune and LLA in this topic... lets wait to see the movie before it gets torn to shreds critically... I'm sure the Cell-shaded CGI looks 100x better than the TSC CGI.

I'm going to do the some.
rtsurfer
Adventurer

Unread post by rtsurfer »

IIRC Mospeada Love Live Alive is mostly tv series flashbacks set to music/singing. The non-tv series footage is something like 10-15 mins of about half concert and half Yellow/other tv series characters. I don't expect the Robotech LLA movie to necessarily use the same flashbacks, probably scenes selected to tell Lancer [and Sera's] story. I could be wrong but I wouldn't assume there is 25 mins of new footage, might be less or even more depending on how much flashback and M LLA exclusive footage they use in their storytelling.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Boring. If you've already seen Mospeada: Love Live Alive, why bother with this one? I'm not spending my money on this.
They can't see me...Right!?
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Lost Seraph wrote:The story sounds rather moronic. Do we really need to know Lancer's history? [...]

Circumstances being what they are, it might be better to ask ourselves if Lancer's history was honestly so captivating that it needed to be told no less than three times over? The Robotech series covers all of the salient bits in around a minute*, and the retelling in the Robotech: Invasion comic needed to pad the story out significantly and also toss in an unrelated Macross Saga comic (Mars Base One) just to fill its five issue limited run. Really, what more is there to tell? He doesn't exactly have a complex story, and if they're using Love Live Alive as their source material then there isn't much in his life worth talking about after the war either.

* Okay, so it's actually 78 seconds... but that's not a huge difference.

Lost Seraph wrote:Well, I still need to finish Marcross Frontier anyway. I'm also hoping the **** fairy doesn't visit all of the female characters again...

Er... no spoilers here, so all I'll say is "Yes and no".

Arnie100 wrote:Boring. If you've already seen Mospeada: Love Live Alive, why bother with this one? I'm not spending my money on this.

Why indeed? It speaks volumes about their (lack of) confidence in their Robotech version that they felt compelled to include the original Japanese version on the same disc. I guess they're hoping that some MOSPEADA fans will pick up the slack in Robotech: Love Live Alive's sales for the sake of adding a DVD copy to various other formats they've had the OVA in for ten years or more. :lol:

MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

Well at least it will also have the full version of Mospeada LLA on the disc/s too.

That alone is worth buying it for to me.
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

-meh-
Long version; "-meh- not interested and will save my money."
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Alpha 11
Palladin

I have to agree though with the sentiment here, they REALLY need to put out NEW material, like eithor a new movie or TV sereis.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Will make up my mind when it comes out but will probably get it.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Alpha 11 wrote:I have to agree though with the sentiment here, they REALLY need to put out NEW material, like eithor a new movie or TV sereis.

To be fair, the Robotech creative team does have to bow to the whims of management.

Tommy and co. have said that they really do want to finish RTSC, but can't because the management are supposedly keen to wait on the proposed live-action movie to generate hype they can use to secure a larger budget for the second installment of the Shadow Saga. Their stance on a new series is a self-defeating loop. McKeever's said they would develop a new series if a network offered them an episode commitment, but networks don't usually commit to a show without seeing preliminary development work like a story outline and concept art.

We're getting LLA because it's what they can give us at the present time.

Seto Kaiba
Knight

ss4vegeta007 wrote:Hi Seto,
I agree that LLA is all they can give us...but is it worth it? [...]

On balance, probably not... but that will naturally vary from person to person. I expect a lot of fans will probably give it the same kind of critical panning that the Shadow Chronicles movie got, but I don't doubt for an instant that we'll also see the same ultra-die-hard Robotech fans who loved RTSC proclaiming that it's a masterpiece.

ss4vegeta007 wrote:This is just me but its kinda like the release dates here at Palladium. I would rather have someone to be honest and say..."Look its going to be a year till the next one." Rather than .."Its coming out next week...I PROMISE..." for 50 weeks. (Overly simplistic but I hope you get my point)

Based on what I've heard on both the Palladium and Harmony Gold fronts, release date shenanigans like that tend to come about as the result of excessive optimism. For instance, I've heard that Kevin gets VERY stoked about new projects that Palladium's working on, and starts hyping them too early, causing disquiet when a book that fans want right now runs into editorial complications. Harmony Gold seems to run into trouble more because they give vague release dates and are just eternally being screwed by their own small budget and the terms their management wants in the new licensing/distribution contracts. (RTSC Part II is delayed by the former, RTSC was delayed by the latter.)

ss4vegeta007 wrote:Same with management. Running a film company even your newest Devry graduate in business knows that you have to anticipate these things and have plans to deal with it before hand. It sounds like this is just a rush job to fill in some time involving as little work and as much old footage as possible. Just my opinion.

While it's been said that Palladium doesn't properly pad its schedules, Harmony Gold seems to have the worst luck in the cosmos. Even when they're being conservative and padding their schedule to anticipate all kinds of fresh hell, they find some new obstacle that nobody anticipated. RT:LLA is pretty definitely a rushed smokescreen job to cover the way the management screwed the release schedule for RTSC Part II, done on the cheap because management doesn't want to be taking huge risks with such a niche title and are holding out hope that WB's hype machine will land them bigger and better investment deals for RT.

Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:
ss4vegeta007 wrote:Hi Seto,
I agree that LLA is all they can give us...but is it worth it? [...]

On balance, probably not... but that will naturally vary from person to person. I expect a lot of fans will probably give it the same kind of critical panning that the Shadow Chronicles movie got, but I don't doubt for an instant that we'll also see the same ultra-die-hard Robotech fans who loved RTSC proclaiming that it's a masterpiece.

While I never thought of it as a masterpiece, I thought it was ok, to good. That they would use RTSC as a stepping stone to better films in the future. I'm hopping to see the next one to be at least as good as Frontier was. And I would say I'm not a ultra-die-hard Robotech fan, but I am a huge fan and Robotech is my first love.
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

MilkManX wrote:Well at least it will also have the full version of Mospeada LLA on the disc/s too.

That alone is worth buying it for to me.

Yep, I'll be buying the RT:LLA just for the sake of having Mospeada LLA on the DVD.
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Well according to their recent presentation they are still working on RT:LLA so it will be some time still...

Lonely soldier boy.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

MilkManX wrote:Well according to their recent presentation they are still working on RT:LLA so it will be some time still...

With the OVA supposedly already finished, that they're still reporting it as a work in progress makes me inclined to suspect they've finally (re)discovered that no distributor is going to want to work with them on their terms, a problem that delayed Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles considerably. I wonder if Content Media Corp is just authoring the discs for HG, or maybe they're acting as distributor too now as Harmony Gold long since ended its arrangements with FUNimation and ADV/Section23.

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I also reserve my enthusiasm.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

MilkManX wrote:Well according to their recent presentation they are still working on RT:LLA so it will be some time still...

Crap ... now I had to wait to get even a decent release of MOSPEADA LLA .... oopsss, RT: LLA.
Alpha 11
Palladin

So, is it finnished or not?
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Alpha 11 wrote:So, is it finnished or not?

They're not sure, apparently... it could be in the works still (maybe ANOTHER edit was in order) or it could just be they haven't found a distributor willing to touch it.

Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:So, is it finnished or not?

They're not sure, apparently... it could be in the works still (maybe ANOTHER edit was in order) or it could just be they haven't found a distributor willing to touch it.

Thanks.
MilkManX
Wanderer

Or they are trying to get more money than a distributor is willing to pay. That would not surprise me..

Lonely soldier boy.
Alpha 11
Palladin

MilkManX wrote:Or they are trying to get more money than a distributor is willing to pay. That would not surprise me..

Me either.
MilkManX
Wanderer

Lonely soldier boy.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

And only two years late this time! Not bad for a minimum-effort, low-budget mess.

Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:

And only two years late this time! Not bad for a minimum-effort, low-budget mess.

Well, the cover is nice at least. Hopefully, that won't be the only think nice about it.
rtsurfer
Adventurer

Unread post by rtsurfer »

Alpha 11 wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

Well, the cover is nice at least. Hopefully, that won't be the only think nice about it.

Plus you get another copy of RSC :roll: :lol:
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Oh for the luva...

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Alpha 11
Palladin

rtsurfer wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

Plus you get another copy of RSC :roll: :lol:

Well, back up copy at least.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”