~ Kaiju-World ~ Giant Monsters World !!!

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TechnoGothic
Knight

~ Kaiju-World ~ Giant Monsters World !!!

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Expanding on the Dragonworld i had awhile back.

I thought PB could use a Dimension book on a whole world/setting for Kaiju (Giant Monsters).
They would be Playable Characters. Of Course. Even if normal People do not know they are more than just giant animals or monsters.

We could have a Random Giant Monster creation table or tables. For unique creations.
We could have several Giant Monster Species for selection to speed up character creation for some people. This would be a good place for Dragons and other published Giant Monsters.

So How big should these Giant Monsters be for a Game of Giant Monster ?
I think 12ft to 50ft can be a good start. Larger Monsters would be much rarer...and the ones to be really afraid of.

Opinion ??
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
TechnoGothic
Knight

Re: ~ Kaiju-World ~ Giant Monsters World !!!

Ohh yeah almost forgot.

This setting would be perfect for Giant Robots and other beings too.
We could Mecha-Monsters created by humans to combat the Giant monsters.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

TechnoGothic wrote:Ohh yeah almost forgot.

This setting would be perfect for Giant Robots and other beings too.
We could Mecha-Monsters created by humans to combat the Giant monsters.

Those would be:
-Containment Forces---meant to keep enterprising commercial developers from acquiring monsters for whatever reason, or to keep the really intelligent or powerful beasts from escaping the planet(by whatever means)
-Research---Somebody's gotta study these beasts, and somebody's got to protect the researchers.
-Colony Protection---Somebody was dumb enough to establish a colony on this world, and for whatever reason they ain't moving(or maybe there's something so valuable on the planet it's worth the risk...surviving colonists could live to be VERY rich), so cue the Colonial Marines.
-Monster Wrangler---Somebody's got the bright idea monster-meat and skin is valuable. Enter the Monsterboys to herd 'em and slaughter them.
-Sportsmen---It's the ultimate test of hot blood and metal; mecha against monster! With big bucks to the sponsor and the winner.

Also start thinking random roll monster generator covering(to start with)
-Size(with MDC, Strength, and Speed modifiers)..Maybe have general size classes; large, giant, humungous, goliath, that's-not-a-moon...
-Speed
-General Monster Type(Reptile, arachnid, insectoid, mammal, avian, combination, etc...), each with various modifiers(chance of flight, natural, weapons, etc.)
-Number and types of attacks(may have damage modifiers for Monster size class)

Look at the random monster generation tables in Rifts and the Minion Races generators in PFRPG Land of the Damned for ideas, but think big(ger).

Years ago I had started a semi-worldbook on a human-oni colony world calling itself the Toho Republic(after Toho Studies) that was regularly beset by giant monsters coming from an alien dimension, their 'season' being heralded by a 'black planet' on a cometary orbit that would bring it near the planet. Naturally, the locals were gearing up for the imminent 'pass' with an army of defense ships and plenty of heavy tanks. :D Some of those ideas might still be valid and useful for a Kaiju-World setting.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TechnoGothic
Knight

This is one type of setting I know many gamers would love to buy and play.

Corebook rules for playing the monsters, with various human mecha as possible opponets.
Sourcebook, Here we get the OCCs for the humans (or aliens) that live in the Kaiju-World itself. Mecha Pilots to Psychics with a Kaiju-mental link to reporters, etc...maybe even human mutants with kaiju dna themselves. Optional Anti-Kaiju Killer RCC aka Kaiser-Men.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

taalismn
Priest

Also, establish, if you got a Kaiju-World, where these critters come from...Is the planet a dimensional dumping ground for monsters(and if so, what's the dumping mechanism)? Naturally evolved in an environment of heavy gravity, vicious weather, and heavy mutagens? The result of some biological war in the past that mutated the native species, maybe deliberately? Gene Splicer experiment(and if so, are they still around)? Mutated remains of some ancient sentient race of First Ones? The offspring of some Alien Intelligence?
That might be another random chart('Origins') if Kaiju World is a 'All of the Above" crossroads world.

Waitaminute...'buy and play'? I thought this was an online project....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Talon Starblade
Wanderer

Unread post by Talon Starblade »

Honestly, I could see this more as a Rifter article, with plenty of use, location, population and monster choices and random ideas. As optional type material, it would definitely allow for varying degrees of usefulness.

Just thinking on it, I can think of a number of ideas, but they could be discussed later.
Let the world tremble, for my imagination LIVES!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Discuss now ;)

Yeah Buy and Play. This could make a great OFFICAL Dimension Book idea. Or even work it into RIFTS itself as KAIJU ISLAND. The island of Giant Monsters. Hehehehe.

If the Smaller Kaiju were in the Adult Dragon range, this would be Epic adventure.

Player character's might start off as powerful as Hatchling Dragons, and need to build up their power levels to achieve the Adult Dragon power levels, then again build up their power levels to much greater levels. The Largest and most powerful Kaiju might be up near the God-dragons in power levels in their home dimensions all the time.

Hundreds of MDC = New or recently awakened but weakened.
Thousands of MDC = Doing Good and Dangerous.
Tens of Thousands of MDC = Your the scourge of nations.
Hundreds of Thousands of MDC = Your scare the World or Worlds just being mentioned.

We could have it be Life Cycles of the Kaiju also.
lvls 1-5 = Hundred of MDC.
lvls 6-10 = Thousands of MDC.
lvls 11-15 = Tens of Thousands of MDC.
lvls 16+ Hundreds of Thousands of MDC.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

taalismn
Priest

Actually I see it as neither potential official world information(sorry TechnoGothic, I just don't see a palpable demand for munchkin-monsters beyond what we already got in alien intelligences and the Lord of the Deep) or Rifter article, at least in the foreseeable future(in light of there already having been a giant monster issue), but I'll entertain the concept.

I'd be loathe to try to set up kaiju as player-like characters, simply because Kaiju aren't terribly bright....at best(using the most intelligent of the arguably kaiju-class monsters of film--King Kong) you have the intelligence of a small child in the grab-it-and-stick-it-in-your-mouth or beat-it-up stage. Kaiju are properly played like elemental forces driven by instinct...eat, sleep, establish dominance, and reproduce(typically nesting on skyscrapers that their little brains mistake for mountains), all the while crushing all those little noisy things with the sharp stuff running around underfoot or buzzing around. Occasionally get mind-controlled by some tiny little thing. Not a whole lot of leeway for character development beyond 'shows a preference for eating train cars but saves the red ones for last' .

And don't even get me started on were-kaiju. These poor souls have a hard time what with the nightmares(usually involving primordial longings or entire United Nations armed forces coming after you) and strange cravings(raw meat, high voltage electricity, blood, radioactive fuel rods, Tokyo Tower), and the few who do manage to hold down jobs live in fear that one day they're struggling to make salary, and one bad stimuli later, their entire workplace is completely gone(along with most of the city...).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Yes!
That is a great idea, just make sure the new players understand the game mechanics of giants and giant monsters (i.e.: a foot stomp attack etc. - no one seems to be on the same page with the damages and such).
TechnoGothic
Knight

Well For Intelligence the can be any.
We have seen very intelligent Kaiju in several movies. A Certain Giant Turtle's 1999 movie showed good intelligence levels.

Giant Monsters in Palladium have Low to High Intelliegences.
Splogorths, God-Dragons, various Alien Inteligences pretending to be gods, Adult and Hatchling Dragons, etc..
You gotta remember Kaiju monsters just means Giant (Larger than Human) Sizes. We have many smaller Kaiju sized monsters and demons already sure. But this a great place to Re-add the Random Monster generation tables, yet add to them to give them more abilities or powers.

Lord of the Deep should be a Top-tier Kaiju Monster. In fact he could even be in the Book as an example for how extreme they can be in Power levels. He is an Old One afterall. We know their were many Old Ones, ones never named that was not involved in the war vs the gods/dragons, etc... Or just many of them escaped.

For Player Characters, you'll most likely be Intellient. At least like a Child like a Hatchling Dragon.
I'm thinking 100 meters should be the rough Height limit for a Kaiju. Give or take a few meters for effect.
If you have seen my RIFTS Kaiju Island thread take a look again.

We could use Splicer Bio-E for bio-E features to build Kaiju.
We could use Random Roll tables like the LotD demon and monster tables.
We could do both, to let individual groups decide which they prefer.
Heck we could make Kaiju Characteristic Tables based on NB-appearance even.
Or all Three just for add to the possiblities.

It will not matter if a Kaiju is a Demon, Deevil, AI, Robot, Mutant Dinosaur, Dragon, Titan, Various Giants or whatever...
We can Include them ALL in the book so Players can pick a Giant Monster RCC without random rolling.

It would be nice to have them in One Book designed for Giant Monster Races as Player Characters in a Land where Giant Monsters are common enough to be considered Typical PCs.

But then again, we always have the HUMANS or Small Races to deal with too.
How they deal with the Giants in general is important.

Looking in various rifts books, I noticed a huge section of Atlantis has Giant Monsters running around it. Wooly Dragons, Hydras, Thunder Lizards, Dinosaurs, and various other giant monsters from the rifts. Yet this is an under-developed idea for RIFTS.

Kaiju Monsters screams RIFTS. Japan would have been perfect for some of it. Rifts Atlantis is another place that seems to fit the Kaiju model well since its the Nation of Monsters. Heck the Leader is a Spugorth AI, a big old Kaiju AI. An Aspect which should have seen more material on. Playing the Monster Races in general.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

Talon Starblade wrote:Honestly, I could see this more as a Rifter article, with plenty of use, location, population and monster choices and random ideas. As optional type material, it would definitely allow for varying degrees of usefulness.

Just thinking on it, I can think of a number of ideas, but they could be discussed later.

There was a Rifter that featured Giant Monsters about two years ago. :arrow: Just info, if it helps. :)
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I posted this in this exact same thread in the Rifts section but no doubt you were so inspired to make them when you saw the stats of RASMA as posted in Super Robot thread. :P

I gave Rasma the natural ability "Its Freaking Huge!" which means its attacks are area of effect attacks (I didn't give exact dimensions because such a thing would be impossible and is left up to the Game Master to decide the area of a tail sweep, claw strike, or stomp attack and so on), but the way that it will come into effect in my game is as such.

According to the Rifts GMG a player multiplies their Speed but their Number of Actions per Melee and that is how much they can move on a single action.

For Example:
Speed 20 and four actions per melee, would mean that a player could move 5 yards whenever he took an action or a dodge (but not a parry).

In effect this means that (like dodging missiles or other area attacks) if the player had to dodge Rasma's tail (lets say it has a 20 yard impact area), he would need to dodge five times (as parrying such a large attack is considered impossible by regular sized combatants) to get clear of the AOE.

Which means combat would playout something like this...

Rasma swings its tail and gets a total of 14.
The player with speed 20 must roll 5 consecutive dodges of 14 or higher or be struck by the attack. 1 of which will consume one of his actions of the following around (as per listed in the Rifts Game Master Guide). If he fails one of these rolls or does not have enough movement to escape the area of effect attack than he is struck by the full brunt of the attack. These massive area of effect attacks mean that even though Rasma only has three Attacks Per Melee it is able to deal massive damage to its attackers and attempting to tackle the mighty beast head on in Melee is a death wish unless you are a High Speed combatant.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
taalismn
Priest

Ouch...yeah, stepping to the side just won't do it if you're trying to avoid being curbstomped(or rather stomped INTO the curb) by King Kong... :shock:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Akashic Soldier
Knight

taalismn wrote:Ouch...yeah, stepping to the side just won't do it if you're trying to avoid being curbstomped(or rather stomped INTO the curb) by King Kong... :shock:

;)

"Its Freaking Huge!" :ok:
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
taalismn
Priest

Akashic Soldier wrote:
taalismn wrote:Ouch...yeah, stepping to the side just won't do it if you're trying to avoid being curbstomped(or rather stomped INTO the curb) by King Kong... :shock:

;)

"Its Freaking Huge!" :ok:

"Whattya just standing there for?! Get me out of this hole!!"
"It's not a hole. It's a footprint."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Ha! :lol:

I feel guilty because I haven't given my PC's any ability to fight Rasma. If they win Lord Splynncryth is just going to let it loose on the city and I don't know how they're going to stop it.

Am I a bad GM? :lol:
taalismn
Priest

Akashic Soldier wrote:Ha! :lol:

I feel guilty because I haven't given my PC's any ability to fight Rasma. If they win Lord Splynncryth is just going to let it loose on the city and I don't know how they're going to stop it.

Am I a bad GM? :lol:

No; it's in keeping with the occasional theme of 'the heroes sometimes DON'T win'. No matter how heroic they are, they're just NOT going to be able to stop the big bad masterplan from getting launched, or avert tragedy. Now, this can crush their souls by pointing up how ridiculously insignificant they are, , and maybe get the GM booed, or maybe it gets the PCs riled and eager for some payback for the folks they COULDN'T save. Plus maybe it gives them a a reality check of how powerful and EVIL the Big Bad REALLY is, and that one or two magic swords and a few lasers just aren't going to be able to bring down a massive transdimensional empire ruled by an alien intelligence who was already ancient when humans were still learning to scratch art on cave walls.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Akashic Soldier
Knight

taalismn wrote:No; it's in keeping with the occasional theme of 'the heroes sometimes DON'T win'. No matter how heroic they are, they're just NOT going to be able to stop the big bad masterplan from getting launched, or avert tragedy. Now, this can crush their souls by pointing up how ridiculously insignificant they are, , and maybe get the GM booed, or maybe it gets the PCs riled and eager for some payback for the folks they COULDN'T save. Plus maybe it gives them a a reality check of how powerful and EVIL the Big Bad REALLY is, and that one or two magic swords and a few lasers just aren't going to be able to bring down a massive transdimensional empire ruled by an alien intelligence who was already ancient when humans were still learning to scratch art on cave walls.

That is exactly what I was going for. Here's hoping! *crosses fingers*
taalismn
Priest

Just to be on the safe side, slip the ballistic panelling into your jacket pockets and wear your helmet(the one with the full-face visor) before you completely obliterate Tokyo in front of your players.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Akashic Soldier
Knight

taalismn wrote:Just to be on the safe side, slip the ballistic panelling into your jacket pockets and wear your helmet(the one with the full-face visor) before you completely obliterate Tokyo in front of your players.

If I had an extra week I'd order riot gear and film it on my iphone for you guys. Just because thats funny as hell. Ill order the riot gear off ebay now. Maybe it can still happen. I cant wait to see my players reactions when I lumber across the room in it and sit down behind the screen. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

Akashic Soldier wrote:
taalismn wrote:Just to be on the safe side, slip the ballistic panelling into your jacket pockets and wear your helmet(the one with the full-face visor) before you completely obliterate Tokyo in front of your players.

If I had an extra week I'd order riot gear and film it on my iphone for you guys. Just because thats funny as hell. Ill order the riot gear off ebay now. Maybe it can still happen. I cant wait to see my players reactions when I lumber across the room in it and sit down behind the screen. :lol:

"He's up to something."
"You think?!"

Do it cheapside and go with athletic equipment...football/hockey goalie mask/helmet or motorcycle helmet...catcher's chest protector (and football shoulder pads if you can put both on at the same time) Maybe goalie arm protectors(hell, go for the whole outfit if you can).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Akashic Soldier
Knight

taalismn wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

"He's up to something."
"You think?!"

Do it cheapside and go with athletic equipment...football/hockey goalie mask/helmet or motorcycle helmet...catcher's chest protector (and football shoulder pads if you can put both on at the same time) Maybe goalie arm protectors(hell, go for the whole outfit if you can).

You'd be surprised how cheap riot gear is, but you're right, tacky sports gear is funnier (and easier to get my hands on).
taalismn
Priest

"What's the helmet for...no, wait...we're going to hate you for this, aren't we?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Curb stomping by kingkong would be one thing. But a curb stomping from Godzilla would be in a whole different league entinrely. (Since Godzilla is 10 times the size of the gfreat ape himself.)
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Curb stomping by kingkong would be one thing. But a curb stomping from Godzilla would be in a whole different league entinrely. (Since Godzilla is 10 times the size of the gfreat ape himself.)

True. Kong has to scale buildings. Godzilla is TALLER than most commercial buildings.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Neither of those characters are going to appear in Palladium!

Without a 10% change to their basic design. :angel:
TechnoGothic
Knight

Aramanthus wrote:Curb stomping by kingkong would be one thing. But a curb stomping from Godzilla would be in a whole different league entinrely. (Since Godzilla is 10 times the size of the gfreat ape himself.)

GO WATCH ... GODZILLA VS KING KONG
asap.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

taalismn
Priest

TechnoGothic wrote:

GO WATCH ... GODZILLA VS KING KONG
asap.

The Japanese pimped up ol'Kong to be larger, and gave him the absurd ability to absorb electrical energy.
Then later they created Mecha-Kong!
This couldn't stand, so decades later, the Americans did their own version of Godzilla(or rather Gawdawfulzilla).
It's the TransPacific Monster Wars.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TechnoGothic
Knight

I honestly enjoyed the 1960s Godzilla vs KingKong.

Which movie featured Mecha-Kong btw. I always forget which one.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

taalismn
Priest

TechnoGothic wrote:I honestly enjoyed the 1960s Godzilla vs KingKong.

Which movie featured Mecha-Kong btw. I always forget which one.

King Kong Escapes(1967)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TechnoGothic
Knight

Oh yeah. The second J-Kong movie. Mecha-kong was cool though.

We need a Mecha-Godzilla vs Mecha-Kong movie.

Someone "evil" steals one of them, and they must send in the other to fight and retrieve the stolen mecha-monster. It ends with the Arrivial of Mecha-Ghidra (full mech, not cyborg) as the real Villians. The other two must team up against the M-Ghidra.

yeah that would be fun and great to watch.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

taalismn
Priest

TechnoGothic wrote:Oh yeah. The second J-Kong movie. Mecha-kong was cool though.

We need a Mecha-Godzilla vs Mecha-Kong movie.

Someone "evil"* steals one of them, and they must send in the other to fight and retrieve the stolen mecha-monster. It ends with the Arrivial of Mecha-Ghidra (full mech, not cyborg) as the real Villians. The other two must team up against the M-Ghidra.

yeah that would be fun and great to watch.

*In proper Japanese fashion, this should be some shady foreigner, like a NASCAR promoter, played by a Japanese actor in bad makeup. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I have seen that movie. But dislike Kong's incorrect size. I always wanted to see Godzilla boot kong back to skull island.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
SAMASzero
Explorer

Unread post by SAMASzero »

Yeah, but that runs into the old Zilla problem in Final Wars. Sure, it was nice to see Godzilla beat his lesser cousin, but it wasn't a very exciting fight.

A good Kaiju setting should take not only Godzilla in mind, but also the Ultraman series and maybe even Super Robot, Sentai, and other Tokusatsu shows.

Kaiju usually fall into the following categories:

Natural/Mutant Creature -- The monster naturally evolved on Earth and was either mutated or has been sleeping for the past Eon. The spread of mankind has created or awakened the creature, and now it's either hungry, angry or wants to defend it's territory.

Examples: King Kong, Godzilla, Angrius, Rodan, Sadolas, Twin Tail

Ancient God -- A deity in the form of a giant monster. It's purpose is usually to protect or guide humanity, but some may defend the environment instead, even from Human encroachment

Examples: Mothra, Battra, the Ultramen

Ancient Guardian -- Created by an ancient civilization (usually Mu and/or Atlantis) to protect them or solve one of their issues (weather control, cleaning pollution, etc...), and has lain dormant for millennia. These can be Guardians who continue to protect the descendants of their creators (Humanity), or they may go horribly wrong and run amok.

Examples: Gamera, King Shisa/Ceasar, Gyaos, Daghera, Manda

Robeast -- Developed by an alien civilization as a terror weapon, there are sent to destroy any resistance prior to their takeover (others just mind-control whatever is already there).

Examples: Moguera, Mechagodzilla I, Gigan, Megalon, Imperizer, Mechanical Beasts, Zeravire, Robeasts

Alien Monster -- A creature that arrives from outer space with no reason other than to eat, destroy, and/or reproduce, usually with disastrous consequences for whatever planet is lands on.

Examples: King Ghidorah, Desighidora, Space Godzilla, Zigra, Bogal, STMC

Super Robot -- Not a monster per se (usually), but a massive machine built to face the above on even terms. Though a giant robot may not make military sense, they can give the monster an immediate focus. That is to say, they will less likely be inclined to stomp on and/or much the local populace where what appears to be a rival or potential predator is on the scene. Thus, a Kaiju can be led or driven away from a city, where it can be destroyed with minimal collateral damage.

Examples: Mazinger Z, Megazords, Gao Gai Gar, Megagodzilla II, Kiryu (Mechagodzilla III), M.O.G.U.E.R.A.
taalismn
Priest

Also don't forget another sub-theme in Kaiju biology:
Parasites----Godzilla on at least one occasion had them(cockroach-like buggers that ate a fishing crew), Rhodan's lair had a mess of them(ate a mining crew), and Cloverfield had a slew of the bastards(that spread a body-swelling/exploding pathogen for extra yucks). Kaiju parasites tend to be dog-sized or better, and given that they're essentially ticks that have to pierce hides able to turn aside heavily artillery, their bites simply SHRED human flesh and most protective gear.

Hell, even the prey animals of a given Kaiju, provided it evolved naturally, are a threat to human life. Even if your kaiju's a giant insectivore, the scale of the insects it's likely to eat would be on the size of THEM...or else they appear in numbers that make regular and biblical-scale locust swarms look like morning most for density.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SAMASzero
Explorer

Yes, I was getting to that, actually. Human-scale threats (many of these are more Toku/Sentai-themed stuff, but are easily adaptable to a Kaiju setting):

Parasites: As you mentioned, sometimes giant radioactive lizards are infested with giant radioactive ticks. Unfortunately, they may decide that Humans are tasty, and can be hard to get rid of after the monster has passed.

Examples: Shikolas, Destoroyah Crustaceans

Cultists: Sometimes, Kaiju (especially those of the supernatural type) are worshipped by Humans out of insanity or a desire for power (among other reasons). These people may seek to hinder anti-kaiju research, or free their master from imprisonment. On the other hand, servants of a benevolent Kaiju may act as emissaries, or provide warnings of the awakening of Evil or destructive Kaiju.

Putties: Humanoid minions often of an artificial nature. They may be a direct threat early on, but are mostly there to boost the reach of Kaijin. Which reminds me:

Examples: Putty Patrollers, Quantrons, Cogs, Trash Yummies, other Super Sentai/Power Ranger or Kamen Rider mooks.

Servitor/Kaijin: Humanoid or Semi-Humanoid monsters often used as the servants or shocktroopers of alien invaders, extradimensional sorcerers, or other evil organizations. May have the ability (innate or induced) to grow to Kaiju-level sizes.

Examples: Any Super Sentai/Power Rangers or Kamen Rider Monster of the Week, Lesser Bogal

Another consideration is whether or not this should be an SDC or MDC world. I say that in a modern-day setting, it should be both. Modern gear would be SDC, while the Kaiju, some of the lesser monsters, and stuff like the Maser Tanks and various super-tech used by the Ultraman Science Patrols would be MDC.
taalismn
Priest

SAMASzero wrote:stuff like the Maser Tanks and various super-tech used by the Ultraman Science Patrols would be MDC.

Damn straight...you got power visibily howling out of a dish the size of a small radio telescope....that's going to DEFINITELY be in the 1dx1,000 SDC per shot realm AT LEAST.

Maser Tanks don't get enough love in my opinion. :bandit:

Anti-Kaiju units are like Hulk-Buster Squadrons in that respect; they KNOW they're going to get keelhauled, but they go ahead and go in blasting anyway for that THIN hope they might be able to make a difference(aside from doing oodles of collateral damage that is).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SAMASzero
Explorer

Possible character OCCs:

Civillian -- No real distinctions, just a quick set of guidelines for making an Ordinary Joe about to get WAY in over his head.

Police Officer -- Maybe sub-classes (similar to Military MOS') for a beat cop, detective, or SWAT team member. Keep in mind that a world where monsters are not completely regulated to the shadows has gotta have some rather badass SWAT teams if they don't have or want a nearby military presence. And when I say Badass, I mean ranging from old Army gear (Rocket launchers and anti-material rifles) to Science Patrol-level stuff, depending on the city in question

Soldiers -- Infantry, Officers, and Pilots. Maybe distinctions between National Military and Science Patrol origins.

Scientists -- These would mostly be divided into two types: the guys who try to study the Kaiju, and the guys who develop weapons to fight them. Both would make excellent characters as they would need lots of field work.

Masked Hero -- The Power Ranger/Kamen Rider type. This could be either a Character Class Type in and of itself (with distinctions of whether they are members of the Police, Military, Science Patrol, or Teenagers with Attitudes), or a modifier to the above classes. Given the fact that such heroes can range from guys in armored spandex to cyborgs, aliens, and the like, the latter may be a better option to start with, or just make them like characters from Heroes Unlimited, only linking (most of) their powers to a transformation.

Galactic Guardian -- This would be more the Ultraman-type hero. Kind of like a Cosmo-Knight who can grow a couple hundred feet tall.

Kaiju Priest/Emissary -- Much like the Priest OCC in Pantheons of the Megaverse, only they may worship a giant monster. These can go out to give warnings from their patron, retrieve certain artifacts that are missing/stolen, or prevent greedy/foolish people from releasing a sealed Evil. Alternately, they could be villains working for a destructive invader.
taalismn
Priest

SAMASzero wrote:Possible character OCCs:

Civillian -- No real distinctions, just a quick set of guidelines for making an Ordinary Joe about to get WAY in over his head..

The Linked (Innocent)---This is a civilian who shares some not-well-understood psychic link to the kaiju. It could the result of a mystic linkage, alien experiment, traumatic byproduct of a past encounter with the specific kaiju, but the individual in question shares feelings and a certain repartee with the kaiju. This could be a benign relationship, and the Linked may even be able to influence the creature, or a malign one, with the person being constantly tormented by the experience of being linked to a monstrous and alien intelligence.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

taalismn wrote:Years ago I had started a semi-worldbook on a human-oni colony world calling itself the Toho Republic(after Toho Studies) that was regularly beset by giant monsters coming from an alien dimension, their 'season' being heralded by a 'black planet' on a cometary orbit that would bring it near the planet. Naturally, the locals were gearing up for the imminent 'pass' with an army of defense ships and plenty of heavy tanks. :D Some of those ideas might still be valid and useful for a Kaiju-World setting.

AWESOME!!!

Write that up for the Rifter.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

how would a flying hero fare vs a giant monster. i am thinking pilot skill rolls just too avoid high speed collisions is a start
SAMASzero
Explorer

Nah, that would be a simple dodge.

The pilot skill roll is for trying to stay upright/airborne after passing through the wake that bad boy leaves behind. Keep in mind that Rodan's only special attack in the original movie was entirely the shockwaves caused by something massing up to 30,000 tons flying past at high speeds.
taalismn
Priest

Here's another thought on Kaiju that get old/big enough:

Elemental Avatar/Link---For whatever reason, the Kaiju enjoys a link to nature or the Elements, and acts as an avatar of the primal intelligences associated with them. In essence, the Kaiju becomes the living embodiment of a powerful nature spirit. This can manifest itself in the form of the environment becoming agitated around the creature and responding as a combatant on the battlefield(examples: sudden earthquakes, animals attack, volcanos erupt in the vicinity of the Kaiju), limited control over the Elements, the creature will regenerate faster in a given environment(water, lava, etc.), and the Kaiju will respond with uncanny speed and intelligence to certain threats to its linked environment(such as destroying polluting industrial complexes, aliens invading to destroy the planet, overfishing, etc.). Mothra is a good example of such an avatar Kaiju. Godzilla later graduates from 'monster mutant dinosaur' to 'primal Earth spirit'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

If you enjoy giant monsters, you might enjoy this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funhaver/last-stand
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

Awesome idea! Let's see some serious material.
There is no spoon.
SAMASzero
Explorer

Honestly, I'm trying to figure out how.

Let me explain. No wait, it is too much. Let me sum up.

Really, I've only had the chance to get or read the main books for most of the "Contemporary" settings like Heroes Unlimited and Ninjas & Superspies. They tend to be very very light on the specific world data, and always came across to me as being more "Element"-based game modules than full-fledged RPG worlds. Like you could run a game with the players being from all of those books at once if you wanted (yes, I know you actually can, but it always seemed to me that that was the idea from the very start).

So that's kinda the problem I have. Do we want to do this as it's own world, or should we start more of an outline, general rules, and tips for how to incorporate Kaiju/Toku and their kin into settings like Heroes Unlimited and/or Rifts?
taalismn
Priest

SAMASzero wrote:Honestly, I'm trying to figure out how.

Let me explain. No wait, it is too much. Let me sum up.

Really, I've only had the chance to get or read the main books for most of the "Contemporary" settings like Heroes Unlimited and Ninjas & Superspies. They tend to be very very light on the specific world data, and always came across to me as being more "Element"-based game modules than full-fledged RPG worlds. Like you could run a game with the players being from all of those books at once if you wanted (yes, I know you actually can, but it always seemed to me that that was the idea from the very start).

So that's kinda the problem I have. Do we want to do this as it's own world, or should we start more of an outline, general rules, and tips for how to incorporate Kaiju/Toku and their kin into settings like Heroes Unlimited and/or Rifts?

If I recall, from the 'Super-Monsters' Rifter, there IS at least one planet capable to producing big monsters, though it doesn't go into any great detail about it.

I'd go with an 'in-general' outline, then toss in suggestions for possible monster-breeding environments such as high-gravity worlds, biological hothouses(such as was described in the old TMNT Mutants in Orbit where you have worlds soaked in mutagens and high-speed tooth-and-nail evolution), magic hotspots(either natural or induced by the locals trying to create a protector), phase-planets where several universes overlap, or 'corrupted' planets that have been polluted by magical or industrial waste. That might lend itself to additional modifiers as to a particular critter's origins and special powers(environmental modifiers).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

after reading this i think it should be made into a campaign. i would allow any occ/rcc from any book and even if the giant monsters seem out matched just send a bigger one next time. the image of a cosmoknight fighting godzilla awesomeness :)
taalismn
Priest

say652 wrote:after reading this i think it should be made into a campaign. i would allow any occ/rcc from any book and even if the giant monsters seem out matched just send a bigger one next time. the image of a cosmoknight fighting godzilla awesomeness :)

...Then watch the twn-year-old Vagabond kid charm the city-block-sized laser-eyed cephalopod that's been throwing CosmoKnights and Invincible Guardsmen around like spitballs.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

ok we have all seen this. swallowed by a giant monster and cutting or blasting your way out. opinions

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”