Rifts Manhunter crossovers and future books?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

Rifts Manhunter crossovers and future books?

Unread post by DtMK »

I was wondering if anyone here has ran a campaign crossing over into the Manhunter universe, or are planning to? And I understand it was a crossover attempt with Myrmidon Press that has now gone the way of the Dodo, but does this mean there will be no way for anyone to make any supplemental material for that setting in the future? Stats on the Gorushan claw attacks would be nice, not to mention the noticeable difference in costs of space ships in the Manhunter universe compared to others. On the plus side, the Gravity Well warheads and Matter/Energy Transporter tech would be an interesting addition. On the downside, compared to Fleets of the Three Galaxies, their ships are severely outclassed!

Any thoughts?
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Re: Rifts Manhunter crossovers and future books?

Unread post by keir451 »

Yes, Ive done a rifts/manhunter crossover. It went really well! Two Sea Titans wound up getting caught up in a rift that dumped them in the ancient ruins on the Kirn homeworld. The results were insane!
I don't think Kevin is going to allow any more books for Manhunter tho' there are other books that were published by Myrmidon for Manhunter that can be found on e-bay. I definitely felt manhunter needed more ships/better ships and power armor/weapons tech.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Sounds fun! I plan on running a space game crossing into the Manhunter universe when all the Minion Wars books come out. It would seem to me that instead of making superior weapons for an arms race, the defining factors of the Manhunter Earth was the space race. But still, being able to buy a space fighter for under a million credits? Upgrade them with salvaged tech from Aliens Unlimited or the Three Galaxies, and you have an armada on a budget!
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I'm planning on having them make an appearance in my game when I run it next. If anyone is building new ships for them, don't forget to post them on the Starship thread in this area of the forum.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

HayWire wrote:Manhunter was a book I bought when it came out in '94, but quickly became distracted with all the other cool new material that Palladium was putting out at the time. Recently I revisited this book and found it to be a hidden treasure. There's not much there by way of stats and specifics, but it is an extremely cool setting in the making. One of those "woulda-coulda-shoulda" greats that never really materialized.

Great book for idea's and source material.
That and most of the art was, well, ART, as opposed to most of the [censored] that they use in PBooks now-a-days.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

DhAkael wrote:
HayWire wrote:Manhunter was a book I bought when it came out in '94, but quickly became distracted with all the other cool new material that Palladium was putting out at the time. Recently I revisited this book and found it to be a hidden treasure. There's not much there by way of stats and specifics, but it is an extremely cool setting in the making. One of those "woulda-coulda-shoulda" greats that never really materialized.

That and most of the art was, well, ART, as opposed to most of the [censored] that they use in PBooks now-a-days.

I blame the economy
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

bradshaw wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

I blame the economy

I blame the economy too

Leaves of the lotus rise

Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

DhAkael wrote:
bradshaw wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

I blame the economy

I blame the economy too

I wish I could blame the economy.
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Manhunter was definitely a Diamond in the rough. Though I always kinda likened to the Mechanoids in a lot of ways. Both were tech based wanting to annihilate the human race/humanoids and both were never really utilized to tehir fullpotential as an RPG/setting.

Just my two cred's worth
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

jaymz wrote:Manhunter was definitely a Diamond in the rough. Though I always kinda likened to the Mechanoids in a lot of ways. Both were tech based wanting to annihilate the human race/humanoids and both were never really utilized to tehir fullpotential as an RPG/setting.

Just my two cred's worth

Agreed. Makes a great source book for Robotech/Macross II imo.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Well it could be argued that the mechanoids, the manhuneters and the Zentraedi (with a litt etweaking to the backstories) could be all off shoots from the masters at various times of their histroy with the Zentraedi being the last and possibly most potent due to Protoculture etc. At least for useage in Robotech, I know I and a friend went that route for a campaign idea using the mechanoids. Can't see why the manhunters couldn't be part of that as well. :P

Sort of like this. First the Master develeop the Mechanoids with relativel standard tech and then themechanoid stuff happens (with some tweaks and not including homeworld). After that failure they develop the manhunters etc to protect themselves from future Mechanoid attacks etc. With the discovery of protoculture they render the Manhunters obsolete and and go the route of the Zentraedi. The Manhuneters then bide their time till after the Robotech wars and then begin a crusade to annihilate ANY humans sicne theyare all part of hte protoculture problem. Maybe THEY are in deed the Haydonites and children of the shadow?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Ok warning long post.

I have actually thought about this and have, I think, come up with a way to amalgamate (sp?) Mechanoids, Manhunter Robotech and Macross.....bare with me. Now I haven't researched it closely but with some tweaking I think it should work.

In the beginning we have the Terrans (the people who created the mechanoids) and we call them teh Tirolians...(Terra/Tirol not much of a strecth really). With that you can more or less play out the Mechanoids except for I beleive, book 3 Homeworld.

Not long after that the Tirolians (again replacng terrans) create th Manhunters as a future deterrent againstthe Mechanoids returning. At this point you can play out the manhunters storylines as usual, I think, and incorporate the various alien races as sentinels races along with the old rpg sentinel races. Eventually the Manhunters are never heard from again.

At some point the Tirolians fall under the sway of a the group that will eventually become the Robotech masters. Upon thier discovery of the Invid and Protoculture they break away from whatever alliances they had and begin on thier long campaign of conquest.

At some point Zor prior to his death gathered a group of followers called the Disciples of Zor. Upon his death the DoZ act out and go to war with the master and the Zentreadi that are loyal to them. Eventually they are defeated and they escape into the unknown.

At this point Robotech takes place as we know it.

The duplicity of the Haydonites is revealed. What no one knows is that the haydonites are in fact the descendants/evolution of the Manhunters. A war takes place between the human forces, what remaining Zentreadi are around as well as the rebuilt Tirolian and Sentinel forces. The haydonites are eventualy beaten back and like before and like the DoZ they flee to parts unknown.

The Invid return to earth in order to re harvest the Flower of life. The events of The return of the Masters and the Third invid war take place. At some point the SDF-3 is found but the ship is essentially lost. All hands on board are rescued along with the only known protoculture matrix.

Discoveries aboard the G-95 factory satellite, reveal the history of the DoZ and the fact they used very advanced Fusion tech in place of protoculture. It's effectively equal to the Flower of life in most respects. The Last Protoculture matrix is given to the Invid Regess as a Peace Offering and the Third Invid War comes to an end. Shortly after the departure of the Invid the Original captured Factory Satellite returns from its hiding place.

With 3 factories now in thier possesion (G-95 from return of the masters, the factory from the REF Field guide, and the original captured in the series) a project of cloning and rapid repopulation takes place. Also in conjunction with this many quarantined Zentreadi ships that were hidden away and not useable due to the lack of protculture supplies are brought back and refitted for use. New mecha at this point are developed as well to eas th burdne of production (VF-2,VF-XX) Also a project for Colonization is put forth and approved. Within the next ten years the first colony fleet leaves earh orbit with the historic heroes Rick and Lisa Hunter in command on the Megaroad flagship. Several more fleets depart over the next 2 decades.

During this time several rogue Zentreadi forces try to make a move on the Earth. The Minmay defensive is created and is extremely effective against the rogue forces.

At this point the Invasion of the Marduk takes place and the events of Macross II. After the Invasion is halted and the leaders of the Marduk are debreifed it is learned that they are the descendants of the DoZ. Also they had been prepared and helped by the Haydonites thus thier ability to overcome the Minmay defensive.

Colonization and repopulation efforts are increased. Colony fleets are redeveloped to be virutal societies unto themselves. New city ships are designed with new warships and mecha to defend them (VF-9, VF-11 etc)

At some point now the events of Macross Plus can occur followed by Macross 7 and Macross Frontier.

Macros Zero can intergrated as part of the post crash pre Robotech war 1 timeline as best as possible.

Well thats it. So?

I would like to point out also that the later colonization and useage of Macross timeline material was originally brought up to me by Jockitch74. Now based on my memory I am not sure if I have actually expanded upon it or if I was close to what he had originally had discussed with me. Sorry Jock :)

\m/
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

jaymz wrote:Ok warning long post.

I have actually thought about this and have, I think, come up with a way to amalgamate (sp?) Mechanoids, Manhunter Robotech and Macross.....bare with me. Now I haven't researched it closely but with some tweaking I think it should work.

In the beginning we have the Terrans (the people who created the mechanoids) and we call them teh Tirolians...(Terra/Tirol not much of a strecth really). With that you can more or less play out the Mechanoids except for I beleive, book 3 Homeworld.

Not long after that the Tirolians (again replacng terrans) create th Manhunters as a future deterrent againstthe Mechanoids returning. At this point you can play out the manhunters storylines as usual, I think, and incorporate the various alien races as sentinels races along with the old rpg sentinel races. Eventually the Manhunters are never heard from again.

At some point the Tirolians fall under the sway of a the group that will eventually become the Robotech masters. Upon thier discovery of the Invid and Protoculture they break away from whatever alliances they had and begin on thier long campaign of conquest.

At some point Zor prior to his death gathered a group of followers called the Disciples of Zor. Upon his death the DoZ act out and go to war with the master and the Zentreadi that are loyal to them. Eventually they are defeated and they escape into the unknown.

The duplicity of the Haydonites is revealed. What no one knows is that the haydonites are in fact the descendants/evolution of the Manhunters. A war takes place between the human forces, what remaining Zentreadi are around as well as the rebuilt Tirolian and Sentinel forces. The haydonites are eventualy beaten back and like before and like the DoZ they flee to parts unknown.

The Invid return to earth in order to re harvest the Flower of life. The events of The return of the Masters and the Third invid war take place. At some point the SDF-3 is found but the ship is essentially lost. All hands on board are rescued along with the only known protoculture matrix.

Discoveries aboard the G-95 factory satellite, reveal the history of the DoZ and the fact they used very advanced Fusion tech in place of protoculture. It's effectively equal to the Flower of life in most respects. The Last Protoculture matrix is given to the Invid Regess as a Peace Offering and the Third Invid War comes to an end. Shortly after the departure of the Invid the Original captured Factory Satellite returns from its hiding place.

With 3 factories now in thier possesion (G-95 from return of the masters, the factory from the REF Field guide, and the original captured in the series) a project of cloning and rapid repopulation takes place. Also in conjunction with this many quarantined Zentreadi ships that were hidden away and not useable due to the lack of protculture supplies are brought back and refitted for use. New mecha at this point are developed as well to eas th burdne of production (VF-2,VF-XX) Also a project for Colonization is put forth and approved. Within the next ten years the first colony fleet leaves earh orbit with the historic heroes Rick and Lisa Hunter in command on the Megaroad flagship. Several more fleets depart over the next 2 decades.

During this time several rogue Zentreadi forces try to make a move on the Earth. The Minmay defensive is created and is extremely effective against the rogue forces.

At this point the Invasion of the Marduk takes place and the events of Macross II. After the Invasion is halted and the leaders of the Marduk are debreifed it is learned that they are the descendants of the DoZ. Also they had been prepared and helped by the Haydonites thus thier ability to overcome the Minmay defensive.

Colonization and repopulation efforts are increased. Colony fleets are redeveloped to be virutal societies unto themselves. New city ships are designed with new warships and mecha to defend them (VF-9, VF-11 etc)

At some point now the events of Macross Plus can occur followed by Macross 7 and Macross Frontier.

Macros Zero can intergrated as part of the post crash pre Robotech war 1 timeline as best as possible.

Well thats it. So?

I would like to point out also that the later colonization and useage of Macross timeline material was originally brought up to me by Jockitch74. Now based on my memory I am not sure if I have actually expanded upon it or if I was close to what he had originally had discussed with me. Sorry Jock :)

Not quite what I was talking about, but pretty good either way. I never really figured a was to add in the mechanoids other then some strange mysterious race from beyond... mind you, perhaps they are the creation of the Protoculter? The Zentradi are created later as a "fix" after realizing their mistakes and creating the homicidal Mechanoids. Mechanoids could show up later. Upgraded and pissed now wanting revenge. Eh, just an idea. Personally I'd remove the whole Robotech aspect (I really prefer Macross... but I'm sure I've driven that into your head enough now :p).
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah you have tahst why I tried to incorporate it all so both Robotech and Macross were there :P

If you take out the Robotech aspect then you just move into the Macross-verse after the 1st space war as is. Then you can have the mechanoids and/or manhunters reappear to plague a colony fleet like the protodevln and the Varja plague the macross 7 and Frontier :)

Not only that, you can treat Beyond the Supernatural and Ninja's and superspies, though spereate overall, as pre-crash parts of the earth. Several elements from HU can be used as well but using Supers with powers may not be a good idea. I'd use teh hardware, special ops classes, etc from HU. The super vehicle rules in HU and N&S woudl be very useful too and could actually be used to create prototypes of the mecha and what not :)

That really only leaves out Chaos Earth/Rifts ( though this could replace the post third invid war/macross material as the future) , Splicers, Nightspawn (sorry I refuse to call it nightbane :P), Dead Reign, After the Bomb (Though it may be possible to add elements of that for post rain of death) and Systems Failure. They would need TOO much change for the most part to work since they are kind of stand alone unto themselves more so than the games/settings I am incorporating. :)

\m/
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Interesting take on things. Thanks folks, keep the ideas coming!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I use the Manhunter robots in my Splicers campaign.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

That's an interesting mix, and I can see that actually making sense. One thing I'm still trying to figure out is, how the heck do the Manhunter robots have Supernatural Strength?
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

DtMK wrote:That's an interesting mix, and I can see that actually making sense. One thing I'm still trying to figure out is, how the heck do the Manhunter robots have Supernatural Strength?

I think that was just to reflect that Manhunters were built to be way more powerful and badass than run of the mill robots in the setting, and not because they were some kind of supernatural critter. Go up against a Manhunter and even when its unarmed its gonna be able to dish out the hurt on a devastating scale.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Rallan wrote:
DtMK wrote:That's an interesting mix, and I can see that actually making sense. One thing I'm still trying to figure out is, how the heck do the Manhunter robots have Supernatural Strength?

I think that was just to reflect that Manhunters were built to be way more powerful and badass than run of the mill robots in the setting, and not because they were some kind of supernatural critter. Go up against a Manhunter and even when its unarmed its gonna be able to dish out the hurt on a devastating scale.

Either that or the Mulka did it.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Yikes! I'd say that's a helluva OOPS if they did it!
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Anyone know if there were any other sourcebooks released for it?
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Sureshot wrote:Anyone know if there were any other sourcebooks released for it?

Manhunter? No, it was in fact a book for another companies setting and the agreement has since lapsed a long time ago. Shame really, it was a really good book and setting.....

\m/
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

jaymz wrote:

Manhunter? No, it was in fact a book for another companies setting and the agreement has since lapsed a long time ago. Shame really, it was a really good book and setting.....

Yeah what he said. Manhunter was an RPG put out by Myrmidon Press way back in the hazy depths of the 90s, and Rifts Manhunter was a one-off collaboration between Myrmidon and Palladium. They never made another agreement about anything else ever again.

And since Myrmidon no longer exists I doubt Palladium could arrange a deal for another Rifts Manhunter book ever again, short of hiring private eyes to track down Myrmidon's old owners and asking them very nicely for permission.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Spoiler:
Ok warning long post.

Well thats it. So?

I would like to point out also that the later colonization and useage of Macross timeline material was originally brought up to me by Jockitch74. Now based on my memory I am not sure if I have actually expanded upon it or if I was close to what he had originally had discussed with me. Sorry Jock

Ok I have decided to actually flesh this out further and in more detail era by era book by book as neccessary. Question is, any one interested in this or no?

\m/
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

i think there was one or maybe two expansion books for the manhunter setting
there is one named into the bloodhood and i could have sworn i saw another at one time
but i coulld be thinking of there cosmic enforcer line

here is a link to there stuff on nobleknight
http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProdLine ... enreID_E_0
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

There was a Manhunters source book released by MP, but it was for their original main book, not the Rifts one (so you'd have to work out the conversions on your own). I remember seeing it a couple years ago in a comic shop and was contimplating buying it just to have it.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

jaymz wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok warning long post.

Well thats it. So?

I would like to point out also that the later colonization and useage of Macross timeline material was originally brought up to me by Jockitch74. Now based on my memory I am not sure if I have actually expanded upon it or if I was close to what he had originally had discussed with me. Sorry Jock

Ok I have decided to actually flesh this out further and in more detail era by era book by book as neccessary. Question is, any one interested in this or no?

Why not? Rock that sucker!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

DtMK wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok warning long post.

Well thats it. So?

Why not? Rock that sucker!

Ok even though only one person has said they are interested I personally like the idea.. :) So I will do this in parts. Starting with The mechonoids part with notes as to what changes need to be dome to mak it fir to use in Robotech as I outlined above. :) From ther I will go thru Manhunter then Disciples of Zor etc etc. No stats will be posted nor any notes how to change stats. That I will leave to the conjcecture and minds of the readers. This will only be historical/story elements. :) Off to work I go....

\m/
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

jaymz wrote:Ok even though only one person has said they are interested I personally like the idea.. :) So I will do this in parts. Starting with The mechonoids part with notes as to what changes need to be dome to mak it fir to use in Robotech as I outlined above. :) From ther I will go thru Manhunter then Disciples of Zor etc etc. No stats will be posted nor any notes how to change stats. That I will leave to the conjcecture and minds of the readers. This will only be historical/story elements. :) Off to work I go....

Bizzarely enough, I integrated the Mechanoids ages ago into a Robotech campaign based in the Sentinels story arc, post-Optera invasion. Definately scared the panties off the PC's when the "abberent Invid mecha" all of a sudden were able to detect them even with their protoculture reactors switched off ;)

As for the Rifts angle, BOTH REF and Un-Spacy (from Macross 2's AU timeline, not Macross true) have colonized Vancouver on the west coast of Canada. LONG story as to how / why they got there.

But yeah, interested to see where you go with your concept. Sounds PHUN :D 8)

Leaves of the lotus rise

9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Unread post by 9voltkilowatt »

I've got both of the original Myrmidon books and the Rifts: Manhunter book and can tell you that if you have the Rifts: Manhunter book then you already have all the info from the "Into the Bloodhood" source book.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”