dragon hunting/how do you guys defeat the teleport

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

dragon hunting/how do you guys defeat the teleport

Unread post by csbioborg »

So I wanted to know who everyone on here hunts dragons
most notably how do you defeat the dimensional teleport
my group has dragon slaying corrupt mmillenia wood spear that take negate the power 20 % per spear
what do you use

the CS managed to kill hundreds of hachlings and a number of adults in the SoT series

other than a botched teleport which is possible for a hatchling but not as possible for adults

how do you think they did this with just techology?

I'd like to see what peoples diffferent styles are both in Rifts and in PF
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: dragon hunting/how do you guys defeat the teleport

Unread post by Shark_Force »

simple. first, you shoot something at it, and use up all it's actions on dodges (successful or not, doesn't really matter). then, you fire a bunch of missiles at it once it has no actions left to teleport.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Head shots w/ high energy weapons :D , honestly I'm not sure how, I don't quite agree w/Shark Force, but I see where he's coming from. Best guess is a tracking device(assuming they didn't do D-port). And lots and lots of missiles.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

killing a hatchling really isn't a big problem if you negate the d port
as long as you have a decent amount of fire power

its just the d port that is the problem

the only way is the ley line transporter who can follow any teleporting being dimesional or otherwise
the entire society of sages magi learn this as part of there training (house rule)
but that leaves all our man of arms and dragon juicers home

you have to hit it with the millenia spear quick
or they are gone

is there any other magical ability that counter acts this

or some sort of tech
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Why not find out where he lives, scout it out, and wait for him to teleport there? Then you have fifteen seconds to kill him. Also, have your spellcaster ready a TW item with Negate Magic. Fire when teleporting, Gridley!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Keep in mind the Dragon's worst enemy: his own pride. He's not going to run from a bunch of piddley mortals. He will believe until his last breath that he will destroy your for your insolence.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Mack wrote:Keep in mind the Dragon's worst enemy: his own pride. He's not going to run from a bunch of piddley mortals. He will believe until his last breath that he will destroy your for your insolence.

Especially if you are fighting the dragon at its lair, very few dragons would teleport away and let some mortals steal thier hoard of treasure.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

lots of good advice, but most of it is not terribly good for the question regarding using only technology.

i stand by my previous response; if you can force the dragon to dodge enough, it will not have actions left to teleport away.

also, the "one action until the missiles hit" is not guaranteed; it's GM's preregative. if someone fires a missile from close enough, you don't get time to spend an action before it hits (see the rules for up-close cruise missiles in phase world for an example) so it's regular teleport won't help. teleport dodge only moves you 100 feet max; fill the air with enough death and you'll hit your target. assuming it even has teleport dodge (it's a level 10 ability if you're using the dragon hand to hand optional rules) it still has to succeed on the roll.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

My group plays that stunning most creatures stops them from being able to using certain powers or cuts their success rate in half, especially since theses are abilities that requires time & concentration. Slammer missiles from NGR works great for this.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I hit it with a tracking arrow so I could follow it back to its lair, then I attacked it and took its horde. A dragon will always return for its treasure.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Lots of missiles!

I always consider the books to be propaganda, so the CS is going to say they killed hundreds, but how many heads are on trophy walls are another story. Like fishermen, it's all about the one that got away.
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Unread post by 9voltkilowatt »

"I swear man, it was ttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssss big!"
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

GM fiat rounds on a disintigrating belt
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Mack wrote:Keep in mind the Dragon's worst enemy: his own pride. He's not going to run from a bunch of piddley mortals. He will believe until his last breath that he will destroy your for your insolence.

Depends on the dragon... some will leave, only to perform hit-and-run strikes.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
csbioborg
Champion

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:Rifter 15 has a Shifter spell called Dimensional Anchor, it puts an end to the teleport. It dosn't last forever so kill the dragon quick, but he can still run or fly away. Though those two abilities are easy to counter.

man I'm glad you mentioned this

the spell soul leech is so much win

imagine a adult dragon getting drained

you could turn a normal human into a god

you'd stand in good shape to not be harmed either

1-25 gain one of the dragons weaknesses
that' not a problem

76-100 well that is just waiting time basically

you'd end up with a 3k life span as well

of course the questin there is if you do it on a hatchling would you envetually get a adult's power

also if you do that on a demon

do you become immortal unless slain in hades?
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:Rifter 15 has a Shifter spell called Dimensional Anchor, it puts an end to the teleport. It dosn't last forever so kill the dragon quick, but he can still run or fly away. Though those two abilities are easy to counter.

Also, one of the shifter's base abilities (post RUE) is to redirect dimensional magic (dragon attempts to d-port out, shifter redirects it back to earth in it's starting position). So if you simply must take that hatchling/adult down, take a shifter with you!
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Isnt there a chance the teleport doesnt work? If he rolls higher than his percentage, he just stays in one place and continues to take damage. If a techie can recognize that is what the dragon is going to do, it is likely he will try again next attack...thats the time to fire the volley of missiles. Otherwise, there really isnt much else technology has to defeat this ability. If you are dragon hunting, you should prolly be packing U-Rounds in yer rail guns so you can do damage faster, and if/when the dragon teleports, he will not be able to bio-regenerate until he picks out each U-Round slug from his body. Assuming you can track him down and fight him again, he will not be as powerful as your last meeting.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
csbioborg
Champion

of course a pretty high chance for hatchlings

the adult gets one teleport attempt up to five miles away per melee round

and a dragon can attempt a dimensional teleport once every 10 minutes on rifts earth

according to dragon and gods
csbioborg
Champion

that is how I play it but I believe there is a split of opinion on that matter
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Archangel23 wrote:
jhwrench wrote:Since their a creature of magic and the abilities seem somewhat magical I'll say an Anti-magic cloud should hamper it. For the time it takes to teleport I would say each time the dragon takes a high powered damage (100+ m.d.) he should roll a M.E. saving throw or he breaks his concentration and have to start again.

If I'm Not mistaken Anit-Magic Cluod Makes them Loose all their MDC any way(As they are creatures of magic)

Do you have a canon reference?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
cchopps
Adventurer

Unread post by cchopps »

milomilo wrote:
Archangel23 wrote:
Mack wrote:
Archangel23 wrote:
jhwrench wrote:Since their a creature of magic and the abilities seem somewhat magical I'll say an Anti-magic cloud should hamper it. For the time it takes to teleport I would say each time the dragon takes a high powered damage (100+ m.d.) he should roll a M.E. saving throw or he breaks his concentration and have to start again.

If I'm Not mistaken Anit-Magic Cluod Makes them Loose all their MDC any way(As they are creatures of magic)

Do you have a canon reference?

Yes. Page 221 of RUE says that Magical Creatures who fail to save find that their magic does not work t all. Creatures that are MDC due to magic Become SDCand if they save their MDC is reduced by half. Mind you you also neeed a Nat. 18 or higher to save.

All my books are in storage right now, but I don't remember it being worded like that. I remember it meaning more like, if your MDC comes from some sort of active magic effect (spell, etc) you loose it. If that's what it says now, I don't particularly like it. That would mean that a creature with 50,000+ MDC (and if you think about it, CoM or SN creature, all MDC creatures basically are MDC because of magic. So that would mean they all loose it). could be defeated with two spells: anti-magic cloud and then an anialation spell, which would make it WAY too powerful. We always played that creatures of magic are effected, but at worst they loose maybe 50% MDC and perhaps 20-30% strength. So it's still bad, but not completely over-powered.

am I wrong in remembering it not that way?

Oh wow! It wasn't like this at all in RMB and the Book of Magic. But in RUE it says

"Creatures that are normally Mega-Damage due to magic will become S.D.C. beings. Those who make their save vs magic (at 18-20) see their M.D.C. reduced by half as long as they remain in the cloud."

So the question is what does "due to magic" mean. Does it mean spells? Or does it mean 'being in a P.P.E. rich environment like Rifts Earth? I feel like I have to go with the former. Beings with special powers that turn them MDC as oppose to Demons, Dragons, Gods, Witchlings, etc...

Damn.

C. Chopps
csbioborg
Champion

why do they go from sdc to mdc when they land on rifts earth?
I'd consider the robotech optional rules which say on a nonmagic mdc envioment

dragons should be reduced to 1/3 mdc while smaller creatures like a flopper for exampe go back to sdc
Last edited by csbioborg on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:I personally would not play Anti-Magic Cloud that way. A dragon is a dragon and I really don't think its ment to be used like that. I think it's ment for things like the Giant spell where people are turned into mdc beings not natural mdc beings.

Anti-Magic Cloud prevents people from using magic. It doesn't change their creature type, or turn them from MDC to SDC. If a spell ends, that MDC is no longer granted.
csbioborg
Champion

really the best way to kill a dragon or any high mdc creature of magic or supernatural
is dimensional telepor them to PF or another compartively low magic world
and let lose with the tech missiles
it really would only take 1 warhead once they reverted to sdc
csbioborg
Champion

I might make it sdc
but each point of md would still be worth 100 sdc points
same thing as when you go to Hades which is also a sdc dimension
makes no sense other than that
remeber the old anaogy for md
you shoot a tank with a 9mm
the bullet bounces right off causing no damage
that dosen't change regardless of the magic levels

of course the best way to kill a dragon with no porting powers like a hydra is just send him to splicers or another world with NO leylines or magic
since they live off magic they would slowly starve to death
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

milomilo wrote:All my books are in storage right now, but I don't remember it being worded like that. I remember it meaning more like, if your MDC comes from some sort of active magic effect (spell, etc) you loose it. If that's what it says now, I don't particularly like it. That would mean that a creature with 50,000+ MDC (and if you think about it, CoM or SN creature, all MDC creatures basically are MDC because of magic. So that would mean they all loose it). could be defeated with two spells: anti-magic cloud and then an anialation spell, which would make it WAY too powerful. We always played that creatures of magic are effected, but at worst they loose maybe 50% MDC and perhaps 20-30% strength. So it's still bad, but not completely over-powered.

am I wrong in remembering it not that way?

You are incorrect. It says they actually become SDC beings, though I'd argue that adult dragons, AI's, and gods would be immune to that particular aspect of it.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
csbioborg
Champion

once you cast the cloud then half a dozen men with xitic resin guns to immobilze it
or foam guns
csbioborg
Champion

my problem with md is how it works on biological creatures

okay there can be the occasional alien style mdc that is just hard to kill

but there should be more creatures that have more frailites

like why would poision not work on a mdc creature or gas for that matter

Return to “Rifts®”