Hiding from dog boys and stalkers

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I think that is why they included the alter aura power in the lists of powers.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

i believe the psi ability is called 'alter arua'

but hey, i'm not rule-smart .. got someone that is currently using that and hid from a psi stalker from making her out and possibly from where .. *shrugs*
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Re: Hiding from dog boys and stalkers

Unread post by JTwig »

jackylcale wrote:I tried searching for this, but haven't found an answer that has satisfied me yet ( I find the search for these forums to be a bit hard to use in that it keeps turning up alot of irrelevant post when I search for things...)

The question: How can a powerful supernatural creature of magic user hide from dog boys and psi stalkers? Is it possible?

Since I've been playing rifts, my groups have usually assumed that one could hide by using alter aura (a must for any hatchling dragon!!). The description of alter aura seems to support this, somewhat. But when I read about the sensing abilities of the psi stalker and dog pack, it raises some doubts. Those sensing powers are awfully sensitive! Still, alter aura does state that it masks the presence of ppe and isp... Whadday'all think?

There are only three ways that I'm aware of, and all of them are temporary. One and two have been stated already, bing Alter Aura and Mask P.P.E. The third is the spell Mystic Invisibility found in Rifts Merc Adventures in the section on the combat mage. It basicly makes the reciepant invisible to those with psychic and magical sensing powers, such as Dog Boys. It has an impressive duration. In the same book their is also a spell that will make it impossible for you to be tracked by mundane means, such as the track skill or a heightend sense of smell. The two of these combined would be an excellent way to escape being tracked by a dog boy pack.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

jackylcale wrote:What are the stats on that mystic invisibility spell? I can't seem to find it in the magic book?

Mystic Invisibility is found in the small adventure book titled Rifts Merc Adventures. Its in the section detailing the Combat Mage O.C.C. (a poor man's version of the Battle Magus).
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

WOuld also need Mask ISP and Mask P.P.E. I would think so they don't detect the powers.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Mouser13 wrote:WOuld also need Mask ISP and Mask P.P.E. I would think so they don't detect the powers.

I don't know, the spell specifically states that it will protect from both magic and psionic means of detection. The Dog Boy and Psi-Stalker (and the Lotran Hunter; is that how you spell it?) special abilities only allow them to track/sense magic and supernatural.

I would personally say (going by the way that the spell is worded) that Detect Psionics wouldn't work while the spell is active since it makes the recipient invisible to magic and psionic forms of detection. Of course I would also say that if you have the spell active and you are standing out in the open (such as in a police line-up or in a crowed thats attempting to enter a building were everyone gets scanned before entering) and someone attempts to use Detect Psionics or See Aura that they would know something is up, because you wouldn't register at all. The spell is really only effective when combined with some other form of stealth (such as Prowling or Invisibility). It would be perfect for escaping or sneaking past a Dog Boy or Psi-Stalker sentry or hunting party.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mouser13 wrote:WOuld also need Mask ISP and Mask P.P.E. I would think so they don't detect the powers.

Nope, the alter aura power can completly mask PSI powers and it can reduce the apparent amount of PPE. (Like Chi. All living creatures have PPE, its just that some have more then others.) Can also conceal being a magic user, as well as basic physical health.

So there is no need for the powers Mask ISP nor Mask PPE.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

there is also the spell transferal. its high level but for a human mage wanting to get into the upper levels of chi-town use transferal. 1. it transfers all your magical abilities to whomever you wish 2. they dont have to know about it and 3. when the spell duration ends your abilities come back automaticaly.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

I was re-reading Psyscape last night, and under the Psi-Druid O.C.C. description of the Psi-Druid's detect/open up self to the supernatural ability there is a note that Mind Block will stop this ability from telling whether you have psionics or magic. This is the only place I've ever seen this stated, strange.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”