Which Mortal Race is the longest living ?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Which Mortal Race is the longest living ?

Unread post by Lenwen »

Out of every race that can be counted which mortal race is the longest lived Elves with thier average of 600 or is there some even older mortal race out there ?

-Lenwen.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Dragons.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre

Sounds like someone is getting an early dose of holidays...

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dragon made Fruit Cake !! wonder what the lifespan of that would be .. lol

-Lenwen.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

It's interesting, but the thought of dragons being mortal never occured to me. It makes sense, since they do have a specific life span and could, conceivably, die of old age. You just don't generally hear about such things, so dragons being mortal, especially as powerful as they are, is kind of a unique thought... in my mind at least. Kind of puts the great beasts into a whole new light for me!
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Mark Hall wrote:Dragons.

Dragons are not normally considered mortal beings, due to their innate magical nature. If they are mortal, then godlings from Pantheons of the Megaverse with their 50,000 year life-span would also be considered mortals.

Don't Titan's live longer than Elves? Elves live roughly 600 years, dwarves 400 years, and gnomes about the same. Humans and Wolfen are about the same (actually I think the humans have a decade edge, but thats mostly because the Wolfen are just beginning to be come "civilized"). I think Cyclops also live longer than 600 years.
Library Ogre

JTwig wrote:

Dragons are not normally considered mortal beings, due to their innate magical nature. If they are mortal, then godlings from Pantheons of the Megaverse with their 50,000 year life-span would also be considered mortals.

Dragons are mortal because they are creatures of magic of defined lifespan, rather than supernatural creatures.

All Palladium Articles
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Mark Hall wrote:
JTwig wrote:

Dragons are mortal because they are creatures of magic of defined lifespan, rather than supernatural creatures.

Like I said, so do godlings (50,000 years) and they are not considered mortal. Also the books describe demi-gods as not being mortal, and they only live 3000-5000 years.

But for the sake of argument if you consider dragons to be "mortal", then you open the door to dozen (hundreds) of other long-lived magical and supernatural (if you are including magic, then you can't really exclude the supernatural races with defined lifespans) races that live much longer than dragons (like the above mentioned godlings, who have a defined lifespan of 50,000 years). Knocking dragons out of the longest lived spot.
Library Ogre

JTwig wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
JTwig wrote:

Like I said, so do godlings (50,000 years) and they are not considered mortal. Also the books describe demi-gods as not being mortal, and they only live 3000-5000 years.

But for the sake of argument if you consider dragons to be "mortal", then you open the door to dozen (hundreds) of other long-lived magical and supernatural (if you are including magic, then you can't really exclude the supernatural races with defined lifespans) races that live much longer than dragons (like the above mentioned godlings, who have a defined lifespan of 50,000 years). Knocking dragons out of the longest lived spot.

Godlings are, IIRC, Supernatural, not creatures of magic. Though they have defined lifespans, they're not "mortal".

All Palladium Articles
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Mark Hall wrote:
JTwig wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
JTwig wrote:

Godlings are, IIRC, Supernatural, not creatures of magic. Though they have defined lifespans, they're not "mortal".

Is it written anywhere that creatures of magic are considered mortal, and supernatural creatures are not? Or is this an arbitrary decision? I mean, if you're going to include creatures of magic in a discussion on mortals (which in everything I've ever read in Palladium has them separate from "mortal") then how can you exclude supernatural creature with. Can you please explain the reasoning, or cite a page reference?

I was under the impression from reading the conversion books, Dragons & Gods, and the PFRPG critter book that both creatures/beings of magic and supernatural creatures/beings were distinct/separate from the mortal races, how can you insist that one should be include in the discussion and the other excluded?
Library Ogre

It's largely based on the definition in the Rifts: Ultimate Edition; I don't have a page number handy, however.

All Palladium Articles
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. While I have no idea which would be the oldest mortal race, I will add this point to the question of dragons being mortal. It's not necessarily a solid, concrete piece of evidence (could be taken multiple ways), but I believe helpful, or at least hopeful. PF 2nd Edition Main Book, Page 89, Palladin Demon Death Blow write up.

3. Limited to supernatural beings and creatures of magic. The demon death blow attack is not applicable against body armor, inanimate structures, or ordinary humans, or any mortal, S.D.C./hit point creatures."

It specifically states it won't work against mortal creatures, and it does also state (higher up) it will work on dragons. Now I will also state that Palladium has consistency problems and often contradicts itself from one book to the next. However, it's just a passage I always remembered (for some odd reason), and it does distinguish supernatural beings and creatures of magic separate from mortal creatures. On a side note, I find it interesting it mentions "S.D.C./hit point creatures" specifically, as everything in PF is S.D.C./hit points. If, following this by the words written, it may indicate no race which becomes M.D.C. in a mega-damage environment counts as "mortal." I'm not taking sides in the argument itself, just trying to give some type of basis to go by for how to judge what is "mortal" and what is not. Farewell and safe journeys.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Prysus wrote:Greetings and Salutations. While I have no idea which would be the oldest mortal race, I will add this point to the question of dragons being mortal. It's not necessarily a solid, concrete piece of evidence (could be taken multiple ways), but I believe helpful, or at least hopeful. PF 2nd Edition Main Book, Page 89, Palladin Demon Death Blow write up.

3. Limited to supernatural beings and creatures of magic. The demon death blow attack is not applicable against body armor, inanimate structures, or ordinary humans, or any mortal, S.D.C./hit point creatures."

It specifically states it won't work against mortal creatures, and it does also state (higher up) it will work on dragons. Now I will also state that Palladium has consistency problems and often contradicts itself from one book to the next. However, it's just a passage I always remembered (for some odd reason), and it does distinguish supernatural beings and creatures of magic separate from mortal creatures. On a side note, I find it interesting it mentions "S.D.C./hit point creatures" specifically, as everything in PF is S.D.C./hit points. If, following this by the words written, it may indicate no race which becomes M.D.C. in a mega-damage environment counts as "mortal." I'm not taking sides in the argument itself, just trying to give some type of basis to go by for how to judge what is "mortal" and what is not. Farewell and safe journeys.

A valid point. Just my own take on the Demon Death Blow thing however. I believe it states specifically that it only works of HP/SDC creaturs because it is so easy, in the grand scheme of things, to travel to an MDC dimension. If a palladin were to do that, it wouldn't be logical for the Demon Death Blow to work on a massive suit of power armor, just for an example. Therefore, they restrict to only HP/SDC creatures. That would be my guess on the reasoning, anyway.

As to this being a good point on the mortality of dragons, (and others), I think it would stand up pretty well as a valid argumen. Well said.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

According to Merriam-Webster:

“mortal – Function: noun; Date: 1567; Definition: a human being.”

So, a human is the oldest "mortal" in the strictest sense.

A more broad definition for this purpose:

"If it can be killed completely dead, never to return to life, then it's technically mortal".

Just sayin'...........Big Bob.................. :D
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

In 1st edition, changelings had a life expectancy of 800 years, I think, making them the oldest-lived playable race of that edition.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Hotrod wrote:In 1st edition, changelings had a life expectancy of 800 years, I think, making them the oldest-lived playable race of that edition.

Don't Minotaurs have a live expectancy of 900 years. In Baalgor Wastelands it mentions a minotaur that is 400+ years, and describes him as young for his/her race. Also, don't Cyclops live for 1200 years, or was that Titans.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Would it be safe to say that for instance Elves or anyone with a long lifespan of say 600 years or more are able to have multiple O.C.C.'s an if so would it really matter which ones or not really ?

-Lenwen.
Library Ogre

Sure. They've got time.

All Palladium Articles
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

MrGiggles wrote:Actually, I believe Fruit Cake lives longer than dragons. :)

I know twinkies do.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re:

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mortal disqualifies both the SNat and Creatures of Magic
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Which Mortal Race is the longest living ?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

mortal, mundane
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”